- - - - -

Decline of TV ratings in Germany

• Please log in to reply
688 replies to this topic

#1 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:37

The "New Formula 1" has been discussed here sufficiently (too quiet, too ugly, too slow, double points, tyre- and fuel-saving races), but what do TV viewers really think about it.

So here are some figures from RTL (Germany) compared to the previous year:

Australia
3,12 million (+0,25 million) (+8,71%)

Malaysia
4,22 million (-1,23 million) (-22,57%)

Bahrain
5,08 million (-0,99 million) (-16,30%)

China
3,91 million (-0,92 million) (-19,05%)

Spain
4,7 million (-1,21 million) (-20,47%)

Monaco

4,21 million (-3,24 million) (-43,5%)

Canada
4,39  million (5,37 million) (-18,25%)

So far
29,63 million (37,97 million)

-8,34 million (-21,96%)

Austria (new)
4,21 million

Great Britain
4,18 million (-1,18 million) (-22%)

Germany
4,83 million (-0,53 million) (-9,9%)

Hungary
4,99 million (-0,59 million) (-10,57%)

Spa
4,59 million (-1,16 million) (-20,17%)

Monza
4,06 million (-1,58 million) (-28,01%)

Looks like 1 million in Germany would no longer turn on TV for "New Formula 1", what has to be alarming so far... :well:

What about TV ratings in other countries?

Edited by Maler, 08 September 2014 - 20:12.

Advertisement

#2 Knot

Knot

• 406 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41

Pitcairn Islands

Australia (+3)

Malaysia (-1)

Bahrain (-2)

China (1)

#3 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:57

The "New Formula 1" has been discussed here sufficiently (too quiet, too ugly, too slow, double points, tyre- and fuel-saving races), but what do TV viewers really think about it.

So here are some numbers from RTL (Germany) compared to the previous year:

Australia
3,12 million (+0,25 million)

Malaysia
4,22 million (-1,23 million)

Bahrain
5,08 million (-0,99 million)

China
3,91 million (-0,92 million)

Looks like 1 million in Germany would no longer turn on TV for "New Formula 1", what has to be alarming so far... :well:

Vettel not winning = less viewer, happened in Spain the last years as well, since Alonso is not winning the WDC, the struggled to reach their numbers from before, and adding the fact that the beginning of 2013 had much more suspense than this year, while Mercedes is running aways

#4 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,866 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:04

I don't have the numbers but is the same in Spain, lower numbers than 2013. This year we have our own Sky (Movistar TV) but the install base is small,  I don't think is making any impact on the public TV broadcast.

Edited by kosmos, 25 April 2014 - 10:04.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,395 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:09

Are the broadcasts FTA or subscription? If subscription has there been any change in the price?

#6 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:10

Germany RTL is free TV.

#7 Lights

Lights

• 9,494 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:12

Is it the 'new Formula 1' or the Vettel effect.

#8 mclara

mclara

• 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:15

Vettel not winning = less viewer, happened in Spain the last years as well, since Alonso is not winning the WDC, the struggled to reach their numbers from before, and adding the fact that the beginning of 2013 had much more suspense than this year, while Mercedes is running aways

But UK figures are down aswell dispite Hamilton winning.

I think its more down to the f1 show beeing poor.

Ppl were excited before season start but now they face a generally poorer show than the last few years.

#9 Radion

Radion

• 829 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:15

I find the german figures odd. After all, a german manufacturer as well as a german driver look pretty good this seasen!?

Maybe Rosberg should do the finger?!

#10 Goron3

Goron3

• 627 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:18

But UK figures are down aswell dispite Hamilton winning.

I think its more down to the f1 show beeing poor.

Ppl were excited before season start but now they face a generally poorer show than the last few years.

I think UK figures are down because of the whole SKY/BBC thing. Many people I know tried following the sport just through the Beeb last year and have basically given up. If all the races were with the BBC, it would be a different story.

#11 sabjit

sabjit

• 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:19

Yawn, another moaning thread.

#12 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 532 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:25

All sports have their day - back in the eighties Snooker was mammoth on British TV, now it's far less prominent.

http://www.theguardi.../formula-one-tv almost exactly one year ago showed that there was decline in most countries, so maybe the F1 bubble is leaking.

In the UK, the move to half the races being on pay TV has caused a decline, many people won't watch at all if they can't see the entire series.

As Boullier says in the article I linked, there is going to be a knock on effect on sponsorship (look at McLaren this year), so I predict a knee-jerk series of responses from FOM and FIA to "improve the spectacle" - which I think could be done most easily with a more uniform distribution of the media pot

#13 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:31

It has nothing to do with Vettel. He never was the "crowed puller" here in Germany as Schumacher was.

It's absolutely because of the "New F1". People don't like it, especially the new sound.

RTL also recognized this. Last weekend they tried so hard to sugarcoat the new regulations. It was ridiculous.

Btw. ratings in Italy halved (from 4,1m to 2,4m on RAI): http://www.speedweek...und-Ostern.html

In my opinion the situation is getting critical.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,395 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:49

It has nothing to do with Vettel. He never was the "crowed puller" here in Germany as Schumacher was.

It's absolutely because of the "New F1". People don't like it, especially the new sound.

RTL also recognized this. Last weekend they tried so hard to sugarcoat the new regulations. It was ridiculous.

Btw. ratings in Italy halved (from 4,1m to 2,4m on RAI): http://www.speedweek...und-Ostern.html

Why is that?

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:56

Living in Germany, I would agree with this. If (like myself) you live and/or work near Vettel's home town, you get to experience the full force of the support for a German driver, constantly winning in F1. If Vettel qualifies on pole or wins a race, it is the first news item reported on the radio. If not, then the F1 results come at the end with a report of Vettel's results with a brief mention of who the winner is.

But now that it looks as if Vettel will not be doing so well this season, and that the German driver at the top team will most likely be beaten by his non-German team mate; the German population has lost interest. I wonder, will we see reports of pubs full of "f1 fans" in Heppenheim and nearby Bensheim gathering to watch races now that there's no German star doing well? Would you not think that now, when Vettel and Rosberg seem to have a fight on their hands, would be the time to watch races and cheer them on?

My fellow Germans don't think that way. The fall in German viewership has nothing to do with the new regulations and everything to do with the extreme partisan nature of German F1 "fans" and the media.

#16 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:01

It has nothing to do with Vettel. He ne

ver was the "crowed puller" here in Germany as Schumacher was.

Danner and Wasser are the most partisan and biased presenter on the F1 circus. My wife and I are both constantly sick of their pro-German, anti-non-German bias. Let us be honest - they want to see that guy form Heppenheim or Wiesbaden win. And if they were seeing that, they would not have such a negative view of the new regulations.

No...it has everything to do with the lack of a German winner that people in Germany are not watching. And more specifically, it is because Vettel is not winning that they are loosing interest, especially here in Hessen. 

#17 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,286 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:13

Living in Germany, I would agree with this. If (like myself) you live and/or work near Vettel's home town, you get to experience the full force of the support for a German driver, constantly winning in F1. If Vettel qualifies on pole or wins a race, it is the first news item reported on the radio. If not, then the F1 results come at the end with a report of Vettel's results with a brief mention of who the winner is.

But now that it looks as if Vettel will not be doing so well this season, and that the German driver at the top team will most likely be beaten by his non-German team mate; the German population has lost interest. I wonder, will we see reports of pubs full of "f1 fans" in Heppenheim and nearby Bensheim gathering to watch races now that there's no German star doing well? Would you not think that now, when Vettel and Rosberg seem to have a fight on their hands, would be the time to watch races and cheer them on?

My fellow Germans don't think that way. The fall in German viewership has nothing to do with the new regulations and everything to do with the extreme partisan nature of German F1 "fans" and the media.

Thank you for your honesty.

#18 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:16

I wonder, will we see reports of pubs full of "f1 fans" in Heppenheim and nearby Bensheim gathering to watch races now that there's no German star doing well? Would you not think that now, when Vettel and Rosberg seem to have a fight on their hands, would be the time to watch races and cheer them on?

This may be the case in Heppenheim with its 25.000 inhabitants.

But I think Rosberg and Mercedes are doing very well and my fellow Germans will support them quite as much as they support Vettel, so I don't get your point.

#19 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 323 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:21

Oh, it's you again....

I asked a few of my none F1 fan friends and they can hardly tell the difference between the V8s and V6s. It's all the same boring crap to them.

But your affection for a certain cycling cheat tells me you're one of the Ewiggestrigen.

Edited by MrFondue, 25 April 2014 - 11:25.

Advertisement

#20 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:22

Thank you for your honesty.

His lives in Hessen though his view is a bit extreme because it's Vettel island, if you want to put it that way, and Danner for example never was the biggest fan of Vettel nor Schumacher. RTL is doing what private channels do, in Spain, in Britain or elsewhere, the try to get viewers by concentrating on German drivers, german teams, you can moan about it, or just watch the race and let's the guys do their talking, I stopped watching the pre show years ago, and inform myself via Internet. It would be easy to say Formula One in Germany only depends on Vettel, Tourgott is right, Schumacher was always a bigger puller, four million are a lot, for Germany, comparing it to other things, only football gets more people in front of the TV. The drop in ratings, are down to different things in my view, Vettel not winning, Mercedes dominance, german watchers normally don't care about the team nationality like the Italians, and the awful sound/show per se. But I don't think that the casual viewer are interested in the sound or in the atmosphere. It would be simple to say Vettel not winning is the sole reason. 

#21 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,723 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:24

USA loves domination.  Since Austin opened, viewership has increased, but we had a further 18% increase in viewership when Vettel dominated last season.  

I have not seen numbers for this season yet.

#22 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:08

Danner and Wasser are the most partisan and biased presenter on the F1 circus. My wife and I are both constantly sick of their pro-German, anti-non-German bias. Let us be honest - they want to see that guy form Heppenheim or Wiesbaden win. And if they were seeing that, they would not have such a negative view of the new regulations.

No...it has everything to do with the lack of a German winner that people in Germany are not watching. And more specifically, it is because Vettel is not winning that they are loosing interest, especially here in Hessen. 

Either you're lying or you aren't watching German RTL. Wasser and especially Danner actually love the new regulation.

And regarding your previous post: Maybe F1 is the most important news in Heppenheim (I doubt it, I also live not far away and I get other impressions). Anyway, in all other German newspapers F1 got displaced from page one in the last years. That's a provable fact: bild.de, spiegel.de, welt.de, focus.de, sueddeutsche.de (look at the numbers of comments of F1 articles and compare it with football, boxing or even biathlon)

Especially Bild-Zeitung mostly hasn't got any F1 news on page one after race sunday unlike to Schumacher's best time.

Edited by Tourgott, 25 April 2014 - 12:12.

#23 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,214 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:20

USA loves domination.  Since Austin opened, viewership has increased, but we had a further 18% increase in viewership when Vettel dominated last season.  

I have not seen numbers for this season yet.

America is one of the few countries where numbers are actually up.

#24 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,504 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:22

As long as it is popular enough to be shown live on telly and I can see it I don't care how many other people are watching

#25 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:26

I find the german figures odd. After all, a german manufacturer as well as a german driver look pretty good this seasen!?

Maybe Rosberg should do the finger?!

Rosberg is simply not a house hold name.

Even some of the people I know who have a slight interest in the sport don't even know who he is.

#26 Fabien Pousset

Fabien Pousset

• 147 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:31

Declining/collapsing TV ratings worldwide is the great elephant in the room nobody's talking about.

France, early 90's : 10 M

early 2000's : 3M

since 2013 (PPV) : <1M

#27 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:35

As long as it is popular enough to be shown live on telly and I can see it I don't care how many other people are watching

I can only speak for German TV but RTL canceled broadcasting other live sport events even when they had higher ratings. E.g. boxing, ski jumping and also UEFA Championsleague.

Edited by Tourgott, 25 April 2014 - 12:36.

#28 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,186 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:36

It's interesting to me that the TV ratings were up for the season opener, but massively down in comparison to last year starting the very next race.

It'll be worthwhile to have another look at these ratings once F1 comes to Europe. Australia, Malaysia etc. still tend to be somewhat early in the day for European viewers, after all.

I'm not sure how to go about acquiring the Dutch TV Ratings. There's the website Kijkonderzoek.nl but its free reports only list the top so-and-so programs. All that proves is that F1 on the Pay-to-view Sport1 has less than a million viewers, which I don't think anybody could have expected to be different. The half a dozen or so people I know who watch F1 all do so on either the British BBC, the German RTL or the Belgian RTBF broadcasts though - so even if I could find the figures they'd still not paint a complete picture of TV ratings in the Netherlands.

#29 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:50

Either you're lying or you aren't watching German RTL. Wasser and especially Danner actually love the new regulation.

And regarding your previous post: Maybe F1 is the most important news in Heppenheim (I doubt it, I also live not far away and I get other impressions). Anyway, in all other German newspapers F1 got displaced from page one in the last years. That's a provable fact: bild.de, spiegel.de, welt.de, focus.de, sueddeutsche.de (look at the numbers of comments of F1 articles and compare it with football, boxing or even biathlon)

Especially Bild-Zeitung mostly hasn't got any F1 news on page one after race sunday unlike to Schumacher's best time.

But that displacement has nothing to do with the new regulations. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of Schumacher? None the less, all that you are showing is a decline in overall interest, and that it's not down to the new regulations.

The interesting thing to note about the figures was that the season opener had an increase in viewers compared to last season, followed by a steady decline. I live very close to Heppenheim as well, and my impression is the exact opposite of your own. It is not so much that Germany is only interested in German F1 stars, but rather, our fellow countrymen are this way about ANY sport; if there's a German person/team at the top, they will follow it and loose interest the moment that this is not the case.

#30 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:01

But that displacement has nothing to do with the new regulations. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of Schumacher? None the less, all that you are showing is a decline in overall interest, and that it's not down to the new regulations.

The interesting thing to note about the figures was that the season opener had an increase in viewers compared to last season, followed by a steady decline. I live very close to Heppenheim as well, and my impression is the exact opposite of your own. It is not so much that Germany is only interested in German F1 stars, but rather, our fellow countrymen are this way about ANY sport; if there's a German person/team at the top, they will follow it and loose interest the moment that this is not the case.

In the early 00's there were over 15 million people watching F1 here in Germany on RTL (and there was even a second German Free to Air broadcaster: DSF).

What do you think, why are the ratings down? Schumacher won 4 WDC in a row like Vettel.

Edited by Tourgott, 25 April 2014 - 13:02.

#31 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 851 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:04

I don't think there is one reason in particular. It's a mix of different reasons. Schumi not driving anymore and Vettel not winning are the elphant in the room. But at least to same degree are the new rules to blame and also the poor production values. If you watch a RTL race from 10 years ago absolutely nothing has changed. Same people, same phrases, more of same same. I can't be the only one who gets sick and tired of Heiko Wasser in particular.

#32 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:09

if there's a German person/team at the top, they will follow it and loose interest the moment that this is not the case.

Sorry, but maybe you are one of those who don't follow F1, so here are the standings for you:

WDC

1. Rosberg 79 Points (German Person)

WCC

1. Mercedes AMG 154 Points (German Team)

#33 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 851 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:17

Sorry, but maybe you are one of those who don't follow F1, so here are the standings for you:

WDC

WCC

Don't think it's that simple. In a way you're both right but ther's a bit of a identity crisis going on here. Rosberg has a Finnish father and grew up in Monaco. He doesn't give people the impression that he's one out of their midst like Vettel or Hulk do. And Mercedes AMG is a British team mostly with some Austrian guys in charge. The name doesn't fool many.

#34 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 817 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:18

WDC

WCC

can you really compare Vettel and Rosberg in terms of popularity in Germany? 

#35 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:26

WDC

WCC

Maybe I am one of those who has noticed that a non-German has won the last three races in a very convincing manner? 

#36 apoka

apoka

• 3,529 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:37

Maybe I am one of those who has noticed that a non-German has won the last three races in a very convincing manner? 

3 non-German wins is just shy of the 4 non-German wins we had through all of 2013!

It will be interesting to revisit this thread after some time and see how much the viewing figures relate to success. Vettel was breaking records last year and Rosberg winning races, so I think part of the decline could be due to relative lack of success (there are still 3 Germans in top 5 WDC and a German team leading the WCC right now, so it could be worse).

Edited by apoka, 25 April 2014 - 13:37.

#37 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:41

Don't think it's that simple. In a way you're both right but ther's a bit of a identity crisis going on here. Rosberg has a Finnish father and grew up in Monaco. He doesn't give people the impression that he's one out of their midst like Vettel or Hulk do. And Mercedes AMG is a British team mostly with some Austrian guys in charge. The name doesn't fool many.

Of course he does! He was born in Wiesbaden, has a German mother and speaks German without accent. Anyway, in terms of migrants German society is much more open as you might think. Just look at our football team...

And yes, Mercedes is very popular in Germany! If I'm not mistaken you can hear the German anthem after a victory.

#38 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:42

Schumacher + Ferrari was a perfect storm. This will never come back.

#39 Ksharp

Ksharp

• 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:46

Is this thread an appeal to make Vettel champion again so that ratings in Germany become high again? These things happen. 

Advertisement

#40 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 13:58

Well its Germany we are talking about here. Very nationalistic . Most Germans dont really care about F1. it's just football they care about, but in fairness most people really dont care about f1.

#41 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:05

Is it free to air in Germany?

#42 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:11

Well its Germany we are talking about here. Very nationalistic . Most Germans dont really care about F1. it's just football they care about, but in fairness most people really dont care about f1.

Again: F1 was (and still is) pretty popular in Germany and was the most watched live sport in the late 90's and early 2000's. Even more people watched an F1 race than a German football match at the World Cup 98/2002 and Euro 2000 (back when German football was terrible).

Ratings are definitely down because of the dumb decisions which destroyed F1 in the last years.

Yes. Since almost 25 years.

Edited by Tourgott, 25 April 2014 - 14:13.

#43 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:11

Yes but F1 is not that big even at Vettels peek Germany was only pulling in on acerage 4.5  - 5m from a population of 80m. I lived in Munich for 2 years and never met a single person who watched never mind liked f1. :well:

#44 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,976 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:15

Declining/collapsing TV ratings worldwide is the great elephant in the room nobody's talking about.

France, early 90's : 10 M

early 2000's : 3M

since 2013 (PPV) : <1M

Only that early period saw a great degree of French success. Perhaps the early 90s TV ratings are the exception, rather than the norm. 

#45 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,373 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:18

Ratings across all of Europe seem to be down over the last year or so.

However, there seems to be an element on here who are thoroughly in denial.  Yes, Vettel's poor results may be part of the reason for the fall in Germany viewing figures, but its surely can't be the reason in other countries.  Others on here have lamented Bernie for coming out moaning about the noise of the engines.  These stories barely got any press past hard core F1 media and the average viewer probably didn't even get to hear about them.

I really think at this stage its time for F1 management to stop sticking its head in the sand.  The last 10 years has seen gimmics a plenty (DRS, Double points, comical tyres etc etc) and what was a sport is starting to look more like staged entertainment.  I have no doubt that a significant % of lay fans have been put off by this.  A lot of hardcore fans too. 

But IMO, this isn't even just an F1 problem.  Viewing figures for motorsport seem to be on a steady decline over the past 10 or 15 years.  In the UK, we've gone froma  situation where F1, BTCC and WRC were on terrestrial and well watched.  This is no longer the case.  The average man on the street cannot name a BTCC or WRC driver anymore when 15 years ago, half the field in both series were household names.  In the USA, viewing figures for Indycar have collapsed over the past 15 years outside of the Indy 500.  What percentage of this had to do with the split I'm not sure. 

Motorsport IMO is facing into some pretty serious financial trouble in years to come.  Declining viewership will be a problem for all racing series.  A move to pay TV seems to only be compounding the problem.  With a move to pay TV, sponsors won't be getting value for money.  We'll start to see a vicious circle here.  A lot of oil and state money seem to be propping up F1 at the moment.  It mightn't have much else if things keep going the way they are. 

#46 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:24

Yawn, another moaning thread.

We are discussing facts. You are the one moaning about the moaning. 

I don't care about those people who stop following the sport when their hero is not winning, if that people really exist. 

I worry about those F1 fans who are disappointed about the new formula and, come sunday afternoon, they find other things more interesting to do (or watch).

#47 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:28

Yes but F1 is not that big even at Vettels peek Germany was only pulling in on acerage 4.5  - 5m from a population of 80m. I lived in Munich for 2 years and never met a single person who watched never mind liked f1. :well:

Not entirely correct. Here are the average RTL figures for the whole season (http://www.quotenmeter.de)

2013: 5.28 million
2012: 5.58 million
2011: 5.94 million
2010: 6.29 million

#48 skc

skc

• 1,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:30

It is rather dire at the moment to be honest so I'm not surprised.

I've noticed I have to remind quite a few of my friends who I always thought were rabid fans like me, that a race is on.

#49 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,373 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:30

Not entirely correct. Here are the average RTL figures for the whole season (http://www.quotenmeter.de)

2013: 5.28 million
2012: 5.58 million
2011: 5.94 million
2010: 6.29 million

If Vettel is the reason for the sharp decline in 2014 German viewing figures, why was there a steady 16% decline in viewing figures between 2010 and 2013 when he was champion, year on year ?

Vettel's poor results form part of the decline in viewership, but not all of it IMO. 

Edited by Ali_G, 25 April 2014 - 14:31.

#50 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:35

We're moving into a new age of media and entertainment. Young viewers are interested in different thigns and F1 doesn't have such a monopoly of motor/extreme sports coverage any more. Numbers have to come down because that kinda makes sense.

It's a crisis for F1 because of the huge costs of competing in it and the reliance on big viewerships, but rather than trying to gain back viewers they just need to adjust to the new situation.