- - - - -

Decline of TV ratings in Germany

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#601 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:59

Such polls don't mean much, esp. in a tabloid that doesn't even give its source, but even if it is legit, a large number of the the 74.7% of people who voted for Vettel may not even be F1 fans - at least not to the extent that they would go to a F1 race or regularly watch races on TV. While maybe a larger percentage of people from Schumacher's 68.5% may have been more hard core F1 fans.

Also take into consideration that Vettel has the advantage of being a current driver.

In other words Vettel may be more popular with the general public for reasons that you yourself mentioned - eg. "my grandma likes him because he looks nice and attractive" but Schumacher might have had a larger hard core following from a demographics that actually matters from the aspect of viewer ratings and race attendance. In fact, I do think that's the case. I feel Germans were more passionate about F1 during Schumacher's time.

It were different times... people used to be more in cars back then and TV, it was before Internet got as widespread. There were videogames, but they weren't played by every kid/teen as they are today... :p I was one of the nerds who did play games of course. Also F1 used to be alot more affordable back then. German populace in general more wealthy. Less people without job...  all those things matter....

Advertisement

#602 travbrad

travbrad

• 570 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:25

Vettel not winning = less viewer, happened in Spain the last years as well, since Alonso is not winning the WDC, the struggled to reach their numbers from before, and adding the fact that the beginning of 2013 had much more suspense than this year, while Mercedes is running aways

This.  Most Germans care more about a German driver winning than a German car winning, unlike in Italy.  :p   Rosberg may be "German" but there are tourists who have spent more time in Germany than him.

I do agree with what some others have said about "new media" though.  F1's antiquated TV deals are preventing them from joining the 21st century.  You should be able to pay for a direct stream/download of the race no matter where in the world you are, not just if your local provider happens to provide that service.  The music industry tried to resist this change and the result was a huge drop in sales and mass piracy.

#603 chunder27

chunder27

• 787 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:16

In reply to the music industry comparison.

The weird thing is now that people only buy individual songs rather than an album, so instead of risking 1 tenneron an album, you buy that one sing for a quid and stick it on your phone or playlist in Itunes.  Nowhere near as much revenue is made.

So, now touring makes far more money than it did? Appearance at festivals warrant immense fees all of a sudden.

Why?  Because they ramped up the price of tickets of course. So when i used to go to Brixton to watch a big band in the early 00's it might cost 30 quid for a Foo Fighters or something.

Now they play at venues three times bigger for 50.

No brainer, and just an example of an industry not moving with the times, but simply transferring the revenue they were making from album sales to gig ticket prices.  It has nothing to do with resisting change.

#604 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,411 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:54

I think that's the first post I've read by Chunder where he doesn't point out how he doesn't understand the appeal of the Le Mans 24 Hours

#605 chunder27

chunder27

• 787 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 13:29

It really isn't.

But the point remains vaild.

Hilarious though, you really should write a blog

#606 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,526 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 13:35

I think that's the first post I've read by Chunder where he doesn't point out how he doesn't understand the appeal of the Le Mans 24 Hours

But we do know he prefers the 'Push to Punt'/'Whinge about the other cars having an unfair advantage' series!

Edited by ExFlagMan, 25 July 2014 - 13:35.

#607 chunder27

chunder27

• 787 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 17:04

I have literally no idea what you are taking about

Talk literally not in code, then i can argue with you properly.

#608 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,526 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 17:11

BTCC - a bit like stock car racing without the finesse.

#609 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 190 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:04

The decline of visitors wasn't that bad at hockenheim. At the fridays it looked worse that it actually was. People that weren't there are forgetting that it was freaking hot, also on saturday. Most people only sat in the shadow, so you can't see them well. At sunday attendance was 52,000, while in 2012 it was 59,000. If it was already that low back then, people can't argue that this years decline is all due to the new sound. Most good tickets are really expensive (300-500 euro) so that might JUST be a reason that there is a bit of decline. 

About the sound off-topic, I was there the whole weekend and it sounded great, much better than GP2 which was a lot louder and whinier. F1 is just about right now with the volume for listening without earplugs, still loud enough. And you're able to hear the turbo and other sounds which is nice. And the sound and cars still exude power. It's not like the wasp scream anymore, the one-dimensional high whine, and I'm perfectly fine with that. 

#610 Risil

Risil

• 13,415 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:34

Thanks ljsman. :)

Given that this is a Germany- and maybe even Hockenheim-specific issue, it's great to have some words from people who were actually there.