- - - - -

Decline of TV ratings in Germany

• Please log in to reply
688 replies to this topic

#651 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,240 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:40

Formula 1's decline is just a logical reaction to the rules and changes the decision makers made throughout the last years/decade.

From spectacular, fast, loud, sexy, intimidating, big, fascinating Super cars that can fall apart or explode at any time.

To silent, ugly, boring, slow, Formula 3 looking unproportional "things" that have to save fuel, tires and engine.

From tough battles Overtaking maneuvres that kept the viewer on the edge of his seat for hours to see that drivers OVERtaking forcefully his opponent. It was like a goal in football, it doesnt happen all the time, but when it happens its exciting and spectacular.

To drivers that push a button that gives them an unfair speed advantage to his opponent so he can not overtake but really just DRIVE BY.

From tracks where each one was very unique and planted naturally picturesque into the landscape, where you could not set a wheel wrong or your immediately on the gras/sand that sends you off flying into the gravel trap / tire barrier.

To tracks that almost all look exactly the same, where the edge of the track is just 2 lines on the asphalt on a huge car parking area, where mistakes are foresaken and the most exciting thing that can happen every now and then is a driver overshooting a corner, running wide, and just returning to the track.

Almost every single aspect of Formula 1 that was exciting, unique, spectacular, has become boring, childs play, un-authentic, compared to decades of the past. Its hard for people who have seen Formula 1 in the past and how great it an be, to watch the sad boring shadow of it that has become the new version of F1. When enthusiastic people warned in the last years of the direction F1 is going, ignorant people told them JUST STOP WATCHING F1. Hahaha so now you have it, people stopped watching and more will stop to watch. 

And the funny/sad thing about it is, the decision makers of F1 will think, its not enough "Show", its not enough "Circus Show", we have to make the Show "better", meaning "FAKER". And people will continue to stop following F1, and then they will further try to make the "Show" better, how they always just worsen things. Let it crash down the whole "Sport" has no face or heritage anymore. F1 doesnt know its roots, F1 doesnt know what was great about it, F1 changes the rules all the time, it has no history, no heritage, no tradition that anybody holds on to. Thank God no other Sport believes it has to change the rules all the time or the Sport very quickly loses its face.

Edited by Kucki, 27 August 2014 - 17:42.

Advertisement

#652 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:48

Ah yes. The good ole days. With all that overtaking and excitement. We were comatose, but from the sugar-rush.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 27 August 2014 - 17:48.

#653 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:08

Formula 1's decline is just a logical reaction to the rules and changes the decision makers made throughout the last years/decade.

From spectacular, fast, loud, sexy, intimidating, big, fascinating Super cars that can fall apart or explode at any time.

To silent, ugly, boring, slow, Formula 3 looking unproportional "things" that have to save fuel, tires and engine.

From tough battles Overtaking maneuvres that kept the viewer on the edge of his seat for hours to see that drivers OVERtaking forcefully his opponent. It was like a goal in football, it doesnt happen all the time, but when it happens its exciting and spectacular.

To drivers that push a button that gives them an unfair speed advantage to his opponent so he can not overtake but really just DRIVE BY.

From tracks where each one was very unique and planted naturally picturesque into the landscape, where you could not set a wheel wrong or your immediately on the gras/sand that sends you off flying into the gravel trap / tire barrier.

To tracks that almost all look exactly the same, where the edge of the track is just 2 lines on the asphalt on a huge car parking area, where mistakes are foresaken and the most exciting thing that can happen every now and then is a driver overshooting a corner, running wide, and just returning to the track.

Almost every single aspect of Formula 1 that was exciting, unique, spectacular, has become boring, childs play, un-authentic, compared to decades of the past. Its hard for people who have seen Formula 1 in the past and how great it an be, to watch the sad boring shadow of it that has become the new version of F1. When enthusiastic people warned in the last years of the direction F1 is going, ignorant people told them JUST STOP WATCHING F1. Hahaha so now you have it, people stopped watching and more will stop to watch. 

And the funny/sad thing about it is, the decision makers of F1 will think, its not enough "Show", its not enough "Circus Show", we have to make the Show "better", meaning "FAKER". And people will continue to stop following F1, and then they will further try to make the "Show" better, how they always just worsen things. Let it crash down the whole "Sport" has no face or heritage anymore. F1 doesnt know its roots, F1 doesnt know what was great about it, F1 changes the rules all the time, it has no history, no heritage, no tradition that anybody holds on to. Thank God no other Sport believes it has to change the rules all the time or the Sport very quickly loses its face.

Great post, this is exactly what's wrong with Formula 1. The only sad/strange thing is that for some reason the big bosses of Formula one don't understand..

#654 pdac

pdac

• 860 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:34

We watched several races together and when they realised the sound wasn't going to change they stopped turning up at my house on Sundays.. lonely me :p

You didn't change the beer or snacks that were on offer did you?

#655 pdac

pdac

• 860 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:41

I think some of it also has to do with the powers that be not doing enough to make it attractive to younger people, compared with alternative ways to spend their time and money and also the fact that the die-hards are getting older and their changing lifestyle means that they are not as interested as they used to be. That is, older fans are gradually disappearing (as would be expected) but F1 is not replacing them with younger ones (unless their older friend and relatives have got them into it).

And, in general, for all ages there are a lot more things to do and a lot less time and money to do them.

#656 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:48

You didn't change the beer or snacks that were on offer did you?

Well that could be it aswell.. :rotfl:

#657 Maler

Maler

• 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 20:32

Figures from Monza, the biggest decline so far!!!

4,06 million (5,64 million last year)
-1,58 million (-28,01%)

From the most spectacular on earth to a fringe sport in only one season. Does anybody know why? I do...

#658 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 408 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:21

Can anyone illuminate me as to why should I care about F1 ratings in Germany, why is that so important or reflective of anything? I personally care very little about what F1 ratings in Germany are. . 

#659 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:51

F1 needs a superstar in a superstar team that is winning and fighting for the championship. Ferrari need to be up there.

Advertisement

#660 Sash1

Sash1

• 119 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:33

Can anyone illuminate me as to why should I care about F1 ratings in Germany, why is that so important or reflective of anything? I personally care very little about what F1 ratings in Germany are. . 

Because it is one of the last free to air countries in that area? (Indication of general interest opposed to people ready to pay per view)

Because it is the home market of Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, VW, Audi? (Factory interest in the sport)

Because it is the only country in Europe that is doing well economically? (Money money money)

#661 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:14

The first thing that springs to my mind is the dialog from "Snatch": - It's for protection, Turkish. - Protection from who, Tommy? Ze Germans? 

In reality, FIA is doing his very-over-best to protect drivers. This makes the whole experience of F1 less thrilling and you just ... can skip watching it. 

Moreover, F1 continues to employ closed-source model, making the drivers absolutely unreachable superstars, along with the ban of everything shared in social media, such as video or pursuing relentlessly every site that has Formula 1 in its name. 

So, as you said - it's all natural to have a decline. One can choose to react or not to. 

#662 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 115 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:04

Ah yes. The good ole days. With all that overtaking and excitement. We were comatose, but from the sugar-rush.

I love this view that because people think something was better before it MUST be because they are looking back through 'rose tinted glasses'. Can things not decline? Can the wrong decisions not be made? Or maybe as at the end of every F1 season when the TV presenters say "well this was the best season there's ever been!" your all kidding yourselves!

In terms of overtaking and incidents in the 'good ole days' there were good races and bad races and today we have good races and bad races. But as Kucki pointed out in his post earlier a lot has changed and many people (certainly not all) think its for the worst. The TV ratings and crowd attendances seem to be pointing in that direction aswell.

But sorry I'll take off those rose tinted glasses now because we are in the 'best ever, don't look back, everything's amazing days...' Bring on Sochi! All that tarmac! All the politics! Love it! Gonna be the best race EVER!!!!

Edited by yasushi888, 09 September 2014 - 09:10.

#663 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:12

I'm not saying this era is great, or the best ever, or whatever. But the idea that 2004 or whatever was an amazing season is just nonsense. I watched it.

#664 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 14:55

In the good old days it was the driver, a gear lever, full tank of fuel and tires lasting a race. Making it the driver and the drivers performance, over taking by artificial means and in the pits do not count, so there are at most the same amount or lack of overtaking now as there always was. I am not following F1 for anything technical, I am following it to see the best drivers in the world battle it out, and show who in a given season are the better. I will free budgets, I will free engines, I will ban exotic materials, auto-shifting, mandated pit-stops, fuel saving racing, single tires supplier, specing the sport more and more and more, car to pit telemetry, pit to car telemetry, radio from pit to to car, radio from car to pit.

Rose-tinted or not yes the old days were better, call me a Luddite I still preferred it to what we have now, and by the voting by feet and bum in seats so did a large number of people following the sport.

:cool:

#665 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 15:01

If you ask people if they want to go back to the golden era they'll say yes. If you tell them it was an era of multi car teams, single car teams, two car teams; constructors and customers, overwhelmingly customer engines, etc; they'd be outraged.

If you asked them if they liked F1 in the 90s they'd say sure. Ask them if they'd like an F1 with similar laptimes and budgets to Indycar racing of the same era. The forum would collapse...

#666 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 15:53

If you ask people if they want to go back to the golden era they'll say yes. If you tell them it was an era of multi car teams, single car teams, two car teams; constructors and customers, overwhelmingly customer engines, etc; they'd be outraged.

If you asked them if they liked F1 in the 90s they'd say sure. Ask them if they'd like an F1 with similar laptimes and budgets to Indycar racing of the same era. The forum would collapse...

I disagree that there would be outrage, I disagree that size of budget will collapse anything.

#667 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 16:21

I disagree that there would be outrage, I disagree that size of budget will collapse anything.

There's already outrage at the current cars being a few seconds slower than they were last year. Slow them down even more and no matter how much better the racing is, there will be legions of fans crying in terror.

#668 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 16:24

There's already outrage at the current cars being a few seconds slower than they were last year. Slow them down even more and no matter how much better the racing is, there will be legions of fans crying in terror.

Nope. There may be legions of followers, not fans.

#669 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,214 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:11

Spain

- 2013 - 4.62m (40.2%) - http://www.formulatv...-de-ana-pastor/

#670 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,036 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:25

Races in the early-mid 2000s were by and large dreadful and this is coming from a Ferrari fan so seen through the rosiest of rose tinted glasses. It's a shame that the great races this year aren't being rewarded with a higher viewership, though I will agree that the cars are way too quiet and don't quite look fast enough. Seriously look at Imola 05 bad race but the cars looked and sounded like rocket ships out there.

Edited by quasi C, 09 September 2014 - 17:26.

#671 Risil

Risil

• 13,967 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:32

Bad race? (Second) best race of the season.

Edited by Risil, 09 September 2014 - 17:32.

#672 sabjit

sabjit

• 453 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:32

I'm not surprised by the further drop in viewing figures in Germany at Monza.

Especially given what happened at Spa.

#673 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,036 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:35

I saw it live so my memory of the overall race might be sketchy but wasn't it just Schumacher trying to overtake Alonso for ages?

#674 Risil

Risil

• 13,967 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 17:43

I saw it live so my memory of the overall race might be sketchy but wasn't it just Schumacher trying to overtake Alonso for ages?

Exactly! Schumacher also made up a crazy amount of time on Alonso and Button in order to get himself in contention.

That said I don't understand why Ferrari/Bridgestone never showed that pace ever again that year. Presumably Michelin screwed up.

#675 Bleu

Bleu

• 768 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:09

I think Alonso's car wasn't very healthy during the race.

#676 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:20

That was one of those races that was 'suspensful' at the time, but actually wasn't very good. Especially when you stop and think that a car *seconds* a lap faster had no realistic chance of getting by.

Imola 2006 ended up being similar.

#677 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:23

Spain

- 2013 - 4.62m (40.2%) - http://www.formulatv...-de-ana-pastor/

Im confused by that. Antena 3 is the Spanish broadcaster now?

#678 HamiltonFanboy

HamiltonFanboy

• 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:29

Shock horror F1 doesn't look or sound fast anymore and people stop watching. I dont know about anyone else but I got into F1 because I wanted to see the best cars in the world with monster engines being challenged by every circuit they drive on. This was back in 1997.

Right now we have

F1 cars that look like shit.

Lawnmower sounds.

Circuits that offer no challenge because of the run off everywhere.

Cars that are so slow they offer no physical challenge.

The myth of the superhuman driver has gone. If people heard Senna on the radio saying "tell me how to drive" I doubt people would look at him the same way. With the cars so slow and easy to drive and mistakes going without punishment we see average drivers able to compete with the best way to often.

I'm sure to a lot of people F1 right now looks like a bunch of entitled rich kids driving around a car park in a mini endurance race. Time and time again the actual racing on track has been proved irrelevant to viewing figures. The racing is great this year, people just dont care because the sport has stopped looking and being fast.

Edited by HamiltonFanboy, 09 September 2014 - 18:31.

#679 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,552 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:33

That was one of those races that was 'suspensful' at the time, but actually wasn't very good. Especially when you stop and think that a car *seconds* a lap faster had no realistic chance of getting by.

Imola 2006 ended up being similar.

There's one difference: Schumacher did pass Button in 2005 which was in a way that kind of hopeless pass, and it was that pass that made the outcome of the 2005 race so full of suspense.

Advertisement

#680 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:38

I'm not surprised by the further drop in viewing figures in Germany at Monza.

Especially given what happened at Spa.

on the contrary, viewership should increase. The last two races have had huge drama associated with them, and millions of headlines dedicated. Viewing should get higher and higher.

#681 sopa

sopa

• 3,017 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 18:45

F1 needs a superstar in a superstar team that is winning and fighting for the championship. Ferrari need to be up there.

Funny because Hamilton is a big superstar in F1. With Vettel people were complaining that an "unpopular driver" was doing the winning, but Hamilton is clearly maybe even the most popular F1 driver right now. Ferrari's fight at the front would add a bit, but Mercedes is also a pretty big name, not only as a car manufacturer, but as a racing brand.

#682 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 19:01

F1 cars that look like shit.

Lawnmower sounds.

Circuits that offer no challenge because of the run off everywhere.

Cars that are so slow they offer no physical challenge.

The myth of the superhuman driver has gone. 

This would be right, if any of these facts were even remotely true.  

But as they are all complete and utter nonsense, we need to look elsewhere for the reason for this decline.

#683 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 19:13

Funny because Hamilton is a big superstar in F1.

Is he? Maybe in England and to some degree among avid followers of F1, but I don't think there is currently any one high recognizable superstar like Schumacher was, and Senna before him, etc. There is obviously no way of knowing this for sure, but I doubt the general public would even recognize most of the current WDC top 5.

on the contrary, viewership should increase. The last two races have had huge drama associated with them, and millions of headlines dedicated. Viewing should get higher and higher.

Right; the exaggerated drama at Spa-Francorchamps resulted in not only a photo of F1 in some of the Dutch newspapers, but an actual separate article on the Hamilton-Rosberg relationship in one of them. Normally F1 races barely get a mention, and a photo is usually out of the question.

Edited by Nonesuch, 09 September 2014 - 19:14.

#684 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,774 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 19:15

Better than Monaco? (Obviously Japan was no. 1.)

#685 Risil

Risil

• 13,967 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 19:35

Better than Monaco? (Obviously Japan was no. 1.)

I'll stand by that. Imola's a nicer place than Monaco too.

#686 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,451 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:17

This would be right, if any of these facts were even remotely true.  

But as they are all complete and utter nonsense, we need to look elsewhere for the reason for this decline.

this is all opinion. As someone who has drifted away from F1 this year I turned on the telly and Monza qualifying was on. I watched 15 mins of it and then switched off, I just didn't find it interesting. Even the girlfriend said "I thought you liked F1?", I said I did but not anymore. And a lot of it is due to the reasons listed by HamiltonFanboy, so to say it's nonsense is just not true. F1 doesn't excite me, and it seems I'm not the only one.

#687 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,376 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:24

I think the nature of how we follow F1 has changed. I don't actively dislike it, but I'm much less crazy for it. I very rarely watch qualifying now. And that's not just the Merc thing, been that way for a few years. Never watch the pre or post race coverage.

I think a lot of that is because you can get your fill of F1 or motorsport any time you want. This isn't the late 90s where if you watched in America your *only* F1 news came from the half hour show before the race every two weeks. When I lived in Phoenix I'd get the race-preview issue of Autosport the Monday or Tuesday *after* the race. So outside of the TV coverage or what was at the time a very small internet, you were desperate for whatever you could get your hands on.

Now I can watch F1 clips on YouTube, there's a billion websites covering it, the forum is a 24 hour a day thing, etc etc. If qualifying was the only time I saw an F1 car or heard news of it, I'd be watching. But these days if you've read this forum and website, you know as much as the people hosting the broadcasts and often more...

#688 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 14:21

I was out with friends of mine during F1's summer break. Four of us who are the same age (late forties) and have all attended at least one grand prix. I'm the only one with even a passing interest in F1 these days as family and work take up everyone's time. Plus, none of their kids have any interest in F1 so that's the next generation gone as well. I think it's the natural shrinking of the dedicated fanbase which happens anyway but is exacerbated by the larger casual fanbase losing interest and moving on to other pursuits. Unfortunately, the powers that be in F1 have got themselves addicted to the cash/exposure such a large combined fanbase brought with it and seem unable to figure out where to go next.

#689 Docc

Docc

• 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:26

Bernie's new Tilke Oceania Track may make thing a bit more interesting...

CarrierTrack.jpg?t=1410413064

And the double vertical loops in China..and the new Ukraine Fireball..and ISIS track being funded currently...

Edited by Docc, 11 September 2014 - 05:27.