Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:26

Of course it does.

Where?

Advertisement

#752 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 20:35

Is the thread not taking a turn which have nothing to do with the thread?

1) Did the viewing go down? - Yes

2) Did it go down with a lot? - Yes

3) Does 31, 39, 25 or any other percentage matter as a substantial contribution to the facts of 1) and 2)? - N0.

:cool:

#753 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:23

Is the thread not taking a turn which have nothing to do with the thread?

1) Did the viewing go down? - Yes

2) Did it go down with a lot? - Yes

3) Does 31, 39, 25 or any other percentage matter as a substantial contribution to the facts of 1) and 2)? - N0.

probably not in order to support the validity of statement 1), but statement 2) hinges on your/the interpretation of said numbers expressed as a percentage.

for same in order to use "with a lot", there is may a difference between app. 17.5% and 31% .

I think (as often) the "facts" are established and in general not so much disputed --> the viewing figures drop, the discontent seems more related to the "why", then to the "fact itself".

And at this point, people will offer their "opinion" as of "why" this is the case, and that's all fair and good and the basis of the discussion at hand - IMHO.

It starts to become problematic, if some people try to claim that their opionions on the matter are "facts", and feel compelled to "augment" some of the "facts/data/numbers", in order to gain more widespread approval/support for their personal opinions.

#754 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,919 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:47

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot (Stephen Wright)
Though it looks like there has been some slippage in that figure as it is now quoted as being 85%

#755 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 21:57

probably not in order to support the validity of statement 1), but statement 2) hinges on your/the interpretation of said numbers expressed as a percentage.

for same in order to use "with a lot", there is may a difference between app. 17.5% and 31% .

I think (as often) the "facts" are established and in general not so much disputed --> the viewing figures drop, the discontent seems more related to the "why", then to the "fact itself".

And at this point, people will offer their "opinion" as of "why" this is the case, and that's all fair and good and the basis of the discussion at hand - IMHO.

It starts to become problematic, if some people try to claim that their opionions on the matter are "facts", and feel compelled to "augment" some of the "facts/data/numbers", in order to gain more widespread approval/support for their personal opinions.

Fair enough, we can agree that there is a substantial and measurable decline in TV viewing numbers in Germany right?

#756 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 22:28

Fair enough, we can agree that there is a substantial and measurable decline in TV viewing numbers in Germany right?

I'm not sure, that "we" can agree on anything, or make statements on behalf of other parties, but I (for my part) agree (with you) [ not sure if this is "we" for you], that there is a measurable decline in RTL's viewing features for F1 in 2014 vs. 2013, and as far as I'm concerned, that was never been disputed.

If you consider this "substantial" or not is up to you, - IMHO - it would require some "frame of reference", and context, in which to see it, and different people may choose a different context.

For my part I think, there is a "substantial" difference between a claimed reduction of -31% vs. a verifiable reduction of -17.5%, and I don't see the need for such a statement, when the facts are rather simple - it's a minus of app. 0.92M viewers on average in 2014 compared to 2013, everything else is someone's opinion, and should be seen/threaded as such.

Edited by TC3000, 13 December 2014 - 22:28.

#757 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,596 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 23:38

I'm not sure, that "we" can agree on anything, or make statements on behalf of other parties, but I (for my part) agree (with you) [ not sure if this is "we" for you], that there is a measurable decline in RTL's viewing features for F1 in 2014 vs. 2013, and as far as I'm concerned, that was never been disputed.

If you consider this "substantial" or not is up to you, - IMHO - it would require some "frame of reference", and context, in which to see it, and different people may choose a different context.

For my part I think, there is a "substantial" difference between a claimed reduction of -31% vs. a verifiable reduction of -17.5%, and I don't see the need for such a statement, when the facts are rather simple - it's a minus of app. 0.92M viewers on average in 2014 compared to 2013, everything else is someone's opinion, and should be seen/threaded as such.

I think we agree.

#758 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,744 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 17:00

As I said on the last page, loss of TV audience is not necessarily loss of interest. People are able to watch F1 in many ways these days, and I'm sure not all of the viewing methods are recorded or factored into the viewing figures. But also, lets remember that (I assume) the population of Germany is going up, as it is with Britain, to the tune of something like .3% to .5% a year. 

#759 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 19:47

But also, lets remember that (I assume) the population of Germany is going up, as it is with Britain, to the tune of something like .3% to .5% a year. 

I agree in general with your sentiment.

But to provide a bit context, to your above statement, let's consider as well, that while there is a slight increase in the population for the last three years, Germany is still down by app.1.5 Mio compared to the "heights" of 2002/3. (app. 80.8 vs. 82.5 Mio).

http://de.statista.c...g-deutschlands/

as always, many ways to skin a cat, look at things

Edited by TC3000, 14 December 2014 - 19:47.