Photo

cdn.images.autosport.com

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:15

Every bloody link I click on the fora — including those I don't click but just hit back (or posting, or starting a thread, or editing a thread like now...) — take one minute or so to load because the aforementioned cdn.images.autosport.com takes shitloads of time being either on looking up or waiting for states, usually both of course in that order. What's that shite and why is it making the site so terribly slow? Well, if that helps, it started some 24 hours ago. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Edited by panzani, 25 April 2014 - 16:17.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 17:39

Try clearing your cache, recent browsing history and autosport.com cookies. You may have something corrupted in there somewhere. CDN stands for 'content delivery network' and handles all the generic images on the site, so if it was a general server-side problem I suspect a hell of a lot of people would be complaining. It might relate only to adverts served to your market, although I think that's fairly unlikely.

#3 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:35

V2, my cache and history are — almost always, just 99% of the time if not 100% — as empty as Mozilla allows... I live in Brazil, so, YES!, there's something corrupt around, ALWAYS! Not the same kind of corruption you're thinking of though, I understand. The bloody cookies, why would I clen them? They do what they are supposed to do (logging me in and keeping me logged in), don't them? If they do anything else they are not exactly legal, are them? I know you know Firefox more than I do, of course, but this is not related to the browser or the user, I assure you! And many tahnks for your help! To expect any help from autosport could only be driven to the weekend coming and the amount of alcohol I intend to ingest, I must honestly add...  ;)

#4 fabio fernandes

fabio fernandes

• 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:56

Same thing happening to me ! No images whatsoever in either Chrome, IE or Safari. I've already cleaned my cache files and cookies, but to no avail. It's been going on since Wednesday night ( April 23 ). By the way, I also live in Brazil, and, for what it's worth, access the internet via " VIVO FIBRA" ISP. Since I'm a paying subscriber of AUTOSPORT ( and have been so for the past eleven years ), I'd really like to hear from you. Something must be wrong. Anyone else out there experiencing the same problems, or are we the only Brazilians left here ?

Edited by fabio fernandes, 27 April 2014 - 19:12.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 20:15

Well, on a very small sample of two, it does appear to be specific to Brazil ... although as fabio fernandes is a subscriber he shouldn't - as far as I'm aware - be being served ads. Although I suppose there might still be some reason for the main Autosport server to contact the ad server for Brazil.

Obviously not browser-specific either, but it would probably need diagnosis from the Brazilian end to try to pin down the exact cause.

#6 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 20:51

Isn't the answer very clear? Ill designed, ill served! As expected, isn't it?

Brazil's today's culprit apparently, without a better reply, not to say, obviously, an official one that never comes, we try to solve every issue between ourselves, no autosport ever! Sorry, let's speak seriously: no other site gives me this kind of behaviour, ever! No site decides I have to clear this or that to work, ever. Much less the ones I've designed! Try them and tell me, V2! Not that bad, are them? :p

Edited by panzani, 25 April 2014 - 20:54.

#7 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:46

I had experienced the same phenomena in Turkey. All stories were displayed without photos, which ultimately caused pages not to be displayed properly. I had sent an e-mail to Autosport to ask whether it was a server side problem, and they said no. Then, I understood. It was, I believe, due to bandwidth restrictions or government filtering implemented by our internet regulatory agency. I also had difficulties in watching YouTube videos seamlessly due to the same idiotic restrictions.

I think a new bill has passed in Brazil last week, regulating the Internet usage (although for a more positive and neutral usage). This issues may stem from those new rules being implementd by your government, no?

I started to use VPN to work around these problems in Turkey, but now, I don't have any kind of issues.

#8 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 14:06

Thanks Ali for trying to help but that's certainly unrelated. Neither my government nor my ISP filter anything. This is the only site with this behaviour, all and every others I access daily are perfectly working. Even this one was okay two days ago. Now both the fora and the main site behave like snails because they are always looking up and waiting for cdn.whatever (in the main site it is not cdn.images, btw). And the main site gives me no pics at all. Hard to think I am the only one experiencing this problem. Even harder to expected an official answer from autosport themselves... Thanks v2, ali! :up:

#9 fabio fernandes

fabio fernandes

• 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:12

latest update : as of Friday night ( April 25 ), problem apparently solved for me.

#10 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 16:32

Thanks for the feedback, Fábio! What's your ISP (perhaps it is related)? Mine is former TVA now Vivo, cable not phone line...

#11 fabio fernandes

fabio fernandes

• 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 19:11

To Panzani : my ISP is Vivo too ( the fiber optics version, not the former TVA cable company recently acquired by Telefonica ). I remember experiencing problems with Youtube videos a couple of years ago. Following the instructions given by a gaming forum, I changed my DNS settings and that solved my problem back then. Sometimes it's best to seek advice from fellow users rather than companies tech support...

Edited by fabio fernandes, 27 April 2014 - 22:28.

#12 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 19:16

As Vitesse2 mentioned, when your browser is trying to access cdn.xxx.autosport.com, it's getting our content from a distributed server network. Our CDN isn't used for adverts, so it's the images, site scripts, etc. which are being loaded. This means that any problems would strike in exactly the same way whether you're a logged in subscriber or not.

When Ali had this problem a few months ago, our server providers assured me that the problem wasn't with the CDN server network itself. I'll check this with them again when I'm back in the office tomorrow, but I suspect that they will say the same thing again as I would expect a major problem with their network would be visible on our normal site diagnostics (ie. we'd be able to see that every page across the site is loading slowly). I'll pass the ISP name onto them to see whether they know why there would be a particular problem coming from a single ISP.

#13 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:09

Everything seems to be right from our CDN's point of view - can you let me know if anyone's still having this problem?

From our site's diagnostics, I can see that average page load times in Brazil were slower than usual during the three days you mention, but only by the sort of amount that suggests that less than 20% of Brazilian visitors were suffering problems. During the past two days, average page load times in Brazil have actually been quicker than usual. This is either good news or very bad news - either any problems have gone away or they have become so bad that a portion of our Brazilian readers have given up on Autosport...

If anyone's wondering why we bother with a CDN (as I can see that it would be annoying to have a working connection to autosport.com but to then fail to load pages because of another server not connecting), the nature of our traffic means that we would struggle to build servers resilient enough without such a network. A photo from our archives might go months without being viewed after being placed on our server and then suddenly be requested thousands of times in a few minutes if it's included as part of a breaking news story. The distributed network keeps our site up and running a lot more often than it brings it down!

#14 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 16:24

Well, Grayson, it is now solved, as of midday here more or less. We'll never know why, though, would we? Perhaps DNS spreading slowly from your end, perhaps ISP DNS servers with problems, but most DNS is cached so, as I've said, we'll never know.

Anyway, as a rule of thumb when trying to find out where the culprit is, I'd say figuring out if a problem, any problem, occurs to all or just one site is mandatory. I mean, if java doesn't work in any site with java my java is the reason. If it doesn't work with just one site this site is the reason. Same for Flash, for instance, and so on for any add-ons.

That means — as you could imagine autosport didn't invent multiple servers to serve different content — if say blogger is working, google images is working, everything we all know have multiple servers is working and autosport is not... That could perhaps help you when dealing with your developers — I assure you they lie a lot, I am one of them bloody developers! (not autosport, obviously)  ;)

Thanks or your time, you probably helped more than you think! :up:

Edited by panzani, 29 April 2014 - 16:26.