- - - - -

Italian Grand Prix winning Moto Guzzi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RichardTracy

RichardTracy

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:32

I am selling my ex Arthur Wheeler, Trevor Barnes, Arthur Lawn Moto Guzzi 250cc Albatros - Gambalunghino.
This machine has a truly impeccable provenance and history.

Arthur Wheeler raced this machine extensively throughout the golden age of racing, competing and continuously finishing as top privateer in the 250cc Grand Prix as well as the TT and Irish events, where he won the NW200 & Leinster 200. on this machine, his highlight was winning the Italian GP at Monza in 1954 and finishing 4th in World GP standings.

The machine, was continually developed to stay on top form, and Wheeler was one of forerunners to adopt streamlining, in the form of dustbin and dolphin fairings, which this machine was fitted with.

The machine was last used by Wheeler in 1958, where he won an International event at Blandford.

At this time, Wheeler, like Geoff Duke had commissioned Renolds to produce a one off special frame for him and built a completely new machine. in 1959 the original machine (now fitted with Norton forks) was sold to an up an coming new racer called Trevor Barnes, who began his racing career on it. Barnes was soon putting in fastest laps at Crystal Palace and winning clubmans level races.

In the meantime, Wheeler was continuously developing his machine for GP level races, helping him to win the Argentine GP in 1962. The Renolds frame underwent changes, including removing and upgrading the frame section, slowing better suspension etc.

The original bike was then sold by Barnes to Arthur Lawn, in late 1962, to finance buying Arthur Wheelers first Renolds framed Guzzi.

Lawn raced the bike for a season in the same trim as he had bought it from Barnes, with the standard Guzzi frame and Norton forks and BSA wheel. It still retained the Guzzi rear suspension (a large spring located under the engine) fitted with girling dampers.

In 1963 Wheeler offered the "mk1" Renolds rear frame section removed from his own bike, to Lawn, allowing contemporary swinging arm suspension. The bike was raced in this trim for the next couple of years, competing in the 1964 & 65 TT's as well as mainland events. A crash in 65 TT ended Lawns TT career and the bike was later sold to a collector.

The machine was later sold to and displayed at Murray's Museum on the Isle of Man, in a very poor but complete condition until the closure, when I was able to purchase it.

The bike has since undergone a full nut and bolt restoration to concours as well as useable condition.

The restoration won Best in Show at Telford Classic and off road Show in 2011 and Best TT bike and Mike Hailwood Trphy at Stafford bike show 2011.

The bike will be supplied with a large portfolio of documentation, photos including letters from Arthur Lawn and Ken Sprayson who built the rear frame section.

More details can be seen on my blog here >

http://wheelerguzzi.blogspot.co.uk

I'll try and add some pictures:-

http://1.bp.blogspot...00/IMG_2169.JPG

Edited by RichardTracy, 05 May 2014 - 20:12.

Advertisement

#2 RichardTracy

RichardTracy

• 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 20:09

Scans of provenience letters now added to blog. I don't seem to be able to get photos onto this forum ....sorry

Edited by RichardTracy, 06 May 2014 - 05:51.

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 21:32

Just like that?

IMG_2169.JPG