- - - - -

DTM 2014

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:30

No fancy OP (to ill to think of anything). Just thought people might want somewhere to discuss DTM as it will start shortly. :)

Advertisement

#2 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:15

I hate, loathe the fact that every god damn time MotoGP is on, the DTM race is underway. BS scheduling from my pov.

#3 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:00

For once, I found the race interesting

#4 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:01

For once I found a stream; I can't understand German or Spanish or Russian, I found the race boring.  ;)

Neil

#5 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:10

One of my near future life goals is to learn Russian, French and relearn German. Eh, it's one of the Tilkedrones I really enjoy. Good for Wittman and Tambay.

And seeing Di Resta in 16th is always a pleasure. Da Costa in 19th, not so much.

#6 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:32

For once I found a stream; I can't understand German or Spanish or Russian, I found the race boring.  ;)

Neil

maybe I'm mistaken (I can watch the races with the satellite) but, don't they stream the races, live, in English, in the official site, or official YouTube channel, or something like that?
I do know the 2013 full races are in their official YouTube channel, because my 2-y-o nephew is addicted to it.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:57

And seeing Di Resta in 16th is always a pleasure. Da Costa in 19th, not so much.

AFdC was doing well in the top 5 but then dropped back big time, from what I've read in another site he messed up and banged up wheels with another car. So a great first race in terms of speed but not so much composure.

#8 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:42

AFdC was doing well in the top 5 but then dropped back big time, from what I've read in another site he messed up and banged up wheels with another car. So a great first race in terms of speed but not so much composure.

he was doing really well, but when he dived into Scheider, it was a really big mistake. A pity, really.

The time loss was due to one of the most chaotic pit stops I've ever seen. da Costa had to pit after the incident with Scheider, and it seems the mechanics confused the rear right wheel with the front left one. It took forever till they agreed where to screw each wheel.

Edited by artista, 04 May 2014 - 16:43.

#9 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:58

maybe I'm mistaken (I can watch the races with the satellite) but, don't they stream the races, live, in English, in the official site, or official YouTube channel, or something like that?
I do know the 2013 full races are in their official YouTube channel, because my 2-y-o nephew is addicted to it.

If so, then that'll teach me for trying the not-so-legal method first. :lol:

Neil

#10 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 13:54

AS - was-di-resta-comeback-as-bad-as-it-looked

http://plus.autospor...d-as-it-looked/

it's only after race 1 ... do we really need an 'ANALysis' ??? what does it say??? i don't have subscription. 

#11 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 14:22

full race on youtube

#12 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 14:56

he was doing really well, but when he dived into Scheider, it was a really big mistake. A pity, really.

The time loss was due to one of the most chaotic pit stops I've ever seen. da Costa had to pit after the incident with Scheider, and it seems the mechanics confused the rear right wheel with the front left one. It took forever till they agreed where to screw each wheel.

Nice run by Antonio but that was a hell of a dive! Oh well, at least he's quick ;)

#13 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,424 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:26

It was better than last year, but not as good as Super GT's season opener.

#14 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:45

2+ sec tire deg difference is stupid. DRS is weak. 

i expect from the next races, first half of the grid will use soft options and second half will use harder primes. and why this stupid rule about only 1 pit stops??? i support the idea of not allowing more than 50% to run on softs, but why only 1 pit stop (or am i missing something) :confused:

#15 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:48

It was better than last year, but not as good as Super GT's season opener.

is that broadcasted in english??? and is it on youtube???

one good thing about DTM is that it is streamed live and can be seen afterword in YT officially 

#16 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,424 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:22

is that broadcasted in english??? and is it on youtube???

one good thing about DTM is that it is streamed live and can be seen afterword in YT officially

No and yes. The language thing isn't a big deal for me, since commentators rarely say anything very interesting anyway.

#17 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 14:59

I love the look of the cars, love the technology they have and the power.........but the races are so tedious. Can't help but feel this is something to do with the manufacturer interference and team orders, and for that reason alone the btcc provides better on track action. Which is a shame really as the DTM should be awesome.

#18 djparky

djparky

• 2,003 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 16:01

watched my first DTM race in several years at the weekend...the cars look great and compared to the borefest I remember from a few years ago it wasn't a bad race...but in comparison to the "old" DTM races of the 90's and the Aussie V8 Supercars it is a bit dull...that said it was alot better than what WTCC has become in 2014- was there any overtaking in either race??

#19 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:31

DTM's coverage this year is below deplorable. Nearly no one is showing it and the fact that the official youtube channel blocked some E.U. countries is a slap to the face for the fans.

Hurray for the Nigerians, but alas, there is no English one to be found.

And to finish off the rant, who in their rambling syphilitic mind came up with the schedule? Last MotoGP laps, you say? Yeah, let's make it as though our supreme touring car race overlaps that race just to piss off the three people who are still watching.

Advertisement

#20 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:34

Can UK viewers watch it on youtube? If so link please? 

I see it's on Bt Sport later at 5 15pm so I could catch it after the Blacnpain race and Moto GP . 

Edited by Markn93, 18 May 2014 - 11:35.

#21 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:36

I was sure itv4 were due to show highlights of the races but unless I've been stupid and not noticed I don't think there has been anything.
On another note why are Mercedes so rubbish this year?

#22 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:43

I see it's on Bt Sport later at 5 15pm so I could catch it after the Blacnpain race and Moto GP .

In Spain, it works, dunno if it also works in the UK.

Here http://www2.dtm.com/...ream/index.html click on YouTube and it should work.
I can't give you the direct youtube link because I'm in a tablet and can only open the link using the YouTube app.

#23 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:45

In Spain, it works, dunno if it also works in the UK.

Here http://www2.dtm.com/...ream/index.html click on YouTube and it should work.
I can't give you the direct youtube link because I'm in a tablet and can only open the link using the YouTube app.

Thanks, but sadly not available. 

#24 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:46

It's weird. The Hockenheim race was live but Oschersleben isn't. I don't get it. Nevertheless: https://www.youtube....YMVI5dAQWMmFnfg

That's the official DTM youtube channel.

At least I am getting my Portuguese on. Always wanted to learn that language.

I expected Farfus to kill it this season, but instead, it's Wittmann and Tambay doing the killing. Early days but still.

Seeing Di Resta struggle brings joy to my fatigued soul.

#25 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:50

Thanks, but sadly not available.

Oh! A pity.

The thing not working for me today is the live timing, the site seems to be down.

#26 BelgianRaceFan

BelgianRaceFan

• 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:59

http://www.sportscha...undkanu100.html

#27 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:00

If you can't show the race Live - you shouldn't have the rights - or stop YouTube from showing it Live. Ridiculous.... 'As Live' isn't live, and isn't good enough.

#28 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:37

If you can't show the race Live - you shouldn't have the rights - or stop YouTube from showing it Live. Ridiculous.... 'As Live' isn't live, and isn't good enough.

I disagree. Sometimes if you only have a set number of channels, you can't always show everything live. If there's a red button option it's better than nothing, but to say if you can't show the races live you shouldn't have the rights is just stupid to be honest.

#29 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:40

DTM's coverage this year is below deplorable. Nearly no one is showing it and the fact that the official youtube channel blocked some E.U. countries is a slap to the face for the fans.

Hurray for the Nigerians, but alas, there is no English one to be found.

And to finish off the rant, who in their rambling syphilitic mind came up with the schedule? Last MotoGP laps, you say? Yeah, let's make it as though our supreme touring car race overlaps that race just to piss off the three people who are still watching.

I disagree with the last bit of your rant. There'll be clashes sometimes, so be it, it's part of life that sometimes events will clash. Do all the DTM races start at the same time? If so, why should they change it just to keep some people who might like to watch bikes on tv happy?

#30 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:52

I disagree with the last bit of your rant. There'll be clashes sometimes, so be it, it's part of life that sometimes events will clash. Do all the DTM races start at the same time? If so, why should they change it just to keep some people who might like to watch bikes on tv happy?

Yeah, but every DTM race ends when MotoGP does. It's manageable, yes, but I just like complaining.

So, Vietoris won. Did not see that coming. Literally.

#31 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:56

And i agree with him. It's idiotic timing. MotoGP and DTM appeals to the same people to some degree. It's not in the interest of DTM to compete about these viewers.

#32 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:57

I disagree. Sometimes if you only have a set number of channels, you can't always show everything live. If there's a red button option it's better than nothing, but to say if you can't show the races live you shouldn't have the rights is just stupid to be honest.

It's not - if you can't show all these series, why sign them up? And then block YouTube from showing them. ESPN were notorious for this. BTSport had a replay of last nights German Cup Final when the DTM could have been on. They've done the same with the Blancpain Series... 

#33 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:58

Why should DTM be the series to change it's start time? Why shouldn't the bikes change theirs instead?

#34 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 13:01

Because MotoGP > DTM. Simple as that.

#35 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 13:02

Well, the big fish eats the small fish. The small fish wins nothing facing the big one; it might live longer if it hides, though. MotoGP is a much bigger fish than DTM

Edit: OvDrone explained it better and in fewer words :)

Edited by artista, 18 May 2014 - 13:04.

#36 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 13:03

Why should DTM be the series to change it's start time? Why shouldn't the bikes change theirs instead?

MotoGP is bigger then DTM, appeals to wider markets and has more complex logistics to deal with. DTM organizers should use their common sense and not make idiotic schedules out of a wrong sense of pride.

#37 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,441 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 13:04

DTM is a national series, like the BTCC or STCC. Only the international series schedule around each other.

#38 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 16:37

Race about to start on BT Sport.

#39 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 17:08

Seems they've blocked re-live too...shame

Advertisement

#40 BelgianRaceFan

BelgianRaceFan

• 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 17:32

Full race http://www.sportscha...erennen114.html

#41 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 17:56

That was pretty fun, just finished on Bt sport. Poor Jamie Green.

#42 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 19:05

That was pretty fun, just finished on Bt sport. Poor Jamie Green.

Yeah, dude looked like he'd seen a ghost.

#43 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 20:13

Thanks! 

CBS Sports Network now seems to have the right to the DTM in the United States, and was hopping to watch the replay on YouTube (like I had done last season and with Hockenheim) after the Indy 500 Pole Day broadcast. Haven't clicked the link, but assume it's in German. Hmmm... knew I should've went with German instead of French in college.

#44 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:16

That was actually quite an interesting race - only such a shame that the German TV commentary is horrible to non-existent.

I always enjoy when a gamble pays off, it's only a shame that what made the gamble pay off destroyed Green's hard work. But like that it seemed like any given IndyCar race!

#45 MTC

MTC

• 440 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:27

Why are the Mercs so terrible this year??  MB Motorsport putting most of thier eggs in the F1 basket?

#46 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:08

Because MotoGP > DTM. Simple as that.

Well if that's your opinion watch, MotoGP then. /

Edited by Rinehart, 19 May 2014 - 08:09.

#47 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:10

For anyone with or considering BT Sport in the UK, there is also a BT Sport Player.

Edited by Rinehart, 19 May 2014 - 08:10.

#48 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 17:19

That was an excellent race.

Had to feel for Green though. Safety car forced the issue with slicks.

I bet Mercedes are relieved.

#49 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 23:46

Well if that's your opinion watch, MotoGP then. /

That is my point. I watched both. Because I don't have anything better to do on a Sunday (except I do).

It seems sh*tty to me that, (although respect to the DTM), that they make - every.god.forsaken.race.in.the.damn.season.finish.dead.on.3.laps.to.go.with.the.Moto.GP.race.every.god.damn.time...

...you know, that championship who is the second best known championship - in the world.

I am a fan of motorsport. Be it four and/or two wheels. If you think DTM has more gravitas than MotoGP... then, I am sorry for you.

Go watch old Opels do something seemingly irrelevant while I go watch Doohan, Rossi and Roberts do something, ya know, relevant.

#50 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23

That is my point. I watched both. Because I don't have anything better to do on a Sunday (except I do).

It seems sh*tty to me that, (although respect to the DTM), that they make - every.god.forsaken.race.in.the.damn.season.finish.dead.on.3.laps.to.go.with.the.Moto.GP.race.every.god.damn.time...

...you know, that championship who is the second best known championship - in the world.

I am a fan of motorsport. Be it four and/or two wheels. If you think DTM has more gravitas than MotoGP... then, I am sorry for you.

Go watch old Opels do something seemingly irrelevant while I go watch Doohan, Rossi and Roberts do something, ya know, relevant.

Firstly, I don't watch certain motorsport series because they have more gravitas than another - what a bizarre concept you have! 

Secondly I'm not remotely interested in Moto GP, mainly because they are bikes, not cars. Chalk and cheese in my book. I've no idea how popular MotoGP is. Who is Dohan? (!)

Anyhow, basically I don't see your point. There are 25-odd top motorsport series around the world, what is so unfathomable about the idea that more than one race might be on at the same time? Apart from the fact there are only so many weekends, these individual series and the circuits hosting them are separate businesses competing with each other for the audience dollar. Its not motorsport v the world! 

In the modern age of digital content, it has never been less of a problem to access coverage of nearly all of these races and chose when you want to watch them. So I don't see any issue.