Photo

Mike Parkes UK races 1960/1962?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 240 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 13:45

Regarding my biography of Mike Parkes I wonder if some of the experts might help with detail information? 

* Brands Hatch / 27 August 1960 / BRSCC Farningham Trophy / Sunbeam Rapier, # 132 / Rootes Group / DNF, ret. lap 1
* Silverstone / 06 May 1961 / XIII BRDC International Trophy / Lotus Climax 18, # 9 / Yeoman Credit Racing Team /
  DNS, start pos. no.10 (1:37,2) / crash during warm-up?
* Crystal Palace / Whit Monday / 22 May 1961 / "The Green Helmet" Trophy Race / Lotus Climax 19, # 58 / U.D.T.-Laystall /
  DNF, lost rear wheel lap 6 / fastest lap, 83.12 mph
* Mallory Park / 11 June 1962 / first f1 race of MP / Cooper Climax, # 2 / Bowmaster Racing / 4th pos.

I have photos, programms and race results covering these events but very little additional infos or memories of contemporaries.
I very much lack information how MP got in contact with Yeomman Credit Racing Team / U.D.T.-Laystall / Bowmaster Racing (Reg Parnell).
Support is most appreciated. Thank you, Andreas

Advertisement

#2 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 19:46

Hi Andreas ,

I cannot help you to your excact want , but otherwise I can help with spelling and history :

British Racing Partnership (BRP) was sponsored by Yeoman Credit in 1960 and by UDT Laystall in 1961 & 1962 , thus the team was called so.

PLEASE NOTE : YEOMAN with "m".

Reg Parnell Racing was sponsored by Yeoman Credit in 1961 and by Bowmaker (former Yeoman) in 1962 , Thus the team was called so.

PLEASE NOTE : BOWMAKER not "master" .

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:44

International Trophy 1961:  Motor Sport said that his car was loaned to YC by Rob Walker and that he crashed during practice, possibly due to broken suspension. The Black Book says that the Walker Lotus was loaned to UDT/Laystall (BRP) for Henry Taylor.  The Black Book says that Parkes' car was Chassis 901, which is generally reckoned to be the Lotus-Vanwall which appeared briefly at the end of 1960,  Theme Lotus makes no mention of Parkes' car but David McKinney's notes say that it was 904.  904 is recorded as having been run by YC in other IC races.

The grid, as published in Autosport shows a gap on the third row where Parkes would have been which may suggest that his withdrawal came late, after the grid positions had been published.

Edited by Roger Clark, 08 May 2014 - 09:45.

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:00

Crystal Palace 22/5/61:  Autosport said that the Lotus 19s driven by Parkes and Henry Taylor had both been converted to knock off wire wheels in preparation for the Nurburgring 1,000kms the following weekend.  Wheels fell off both cars and the entries were scratched from the 'Ring.  Richard Page (A Record of Motor Racing at Crystal Palace) says that the hubs, supplied by Lotus, were probably not properly heat treated.  He remarks (probably rightly!) that UDT/Laystall may have been grateful to discover this at Crystal Palace rather than the Nurburgring.

Edited by Roger Clark, 08 May 2014 - 10:06.