Photo

Paris-Nice Criterium 1935

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 20:28

Has anyone heard of this event run from 13-18 April 1935. Entries included Chinetti and someone named Marcangeli in Alfas. Seems there were speed tests in Marseille and Nice. At the end there was a race near "Turbia" which I am assuming is what is called La Turbie today. Does anyone have results or any coverage period.

Many thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 20:58

The Paris-Nice was one of several rallies which took place in France every year. It usually included the La Turbie climb as part of the classification. I've just had a quick look at Gallica - the French national archive - and the April 13th issue of Le Figaro has an entry list. I can't see Chinetti listed - and at a guess your Alfa driver 'Marcangeli' might be Giuseppe Meregalli: the print is very indistinct. The only other Alfa drivers listed are Raymond Sommer and another near-illegible name which might be 'Ogec'. Sommer was in the 3 litre class, the other two in the 2 litre.

I'll have a look through a few more French papers and see what else I can find.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:23

Le Figaro:

April 14th: photo of cars waiting to start.

April 15th: report of a hillclimb in Marseille which formed part of the event

April 16th: report of arrival in Nice and results of speed trials held there

April 19th: results of LaTurbie and Paris-Nice

So April 16th and 17th appear to have been rest days. But at no point can I see any reference to Chinetti: perhaps he was either the entrant and/or co-driver in one of the Alfas? Co-drivers aren't mentioned, but there are quite a few of the best-known French drivers of the time in the field: both Schells, Mlle Lamberjack, Mlle Hellé-Nice, Descollas, Trévoux etc. Even Jackie Astbury from Britain.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:45

L'Intransigeant of April 13th has a partial entry list, with similar reports to those in Le Figaro in subsequent issues - but again no mention of Chinetti.

Le Matin of April 13th gives the route and a flavour of the day: the start was at Orly. From there to Lyon in time for lunch and then on to Marseille for dinner. Hillclimb in Marseille the following morning and then on to Nice. More of a regularity run than a rally as we'd know it today! Then La Turbie as the final part of the event. Again - no Chinetti.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 22:01

L'Éclaireur de Nice - on another website - has full results of those who made it all the way: only two Alfas finished - Ogez (who he?) and Sommer. It also has a very indistinct picture of all the drivers who finished, together with some of the officials - one of whom looks like George Bernard Shaw!

#6 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 14:19

Many thanks, Vitesse2. Very helpful.