• 70 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:03

Gilles, you are missed. RIP.

Advertisement

#2 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:45

I will second that Aviator. I was very saddened to hear of his death in1982. Having meet him at the same track in 1979.

#3 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:45

At that time I worked on Saturdays so I only found out about what happened the day and evening before on Sunday May 9th.

I do realize that for some out here my sentiments I express about Gilles will be seen as utterly negative and meaningless since in the past week I have been very negative about another driver killed in a more recent Month of May. I can understand that people won't take me serious anymore.

But I have been honest then, I am honest now.

Gilles was the last driver I've cried about when he lost his live. I know that he hasn't the records and stats to rank among the best. But for me, he was the most enjoyable driver I ever saw, doing things I held for impossible, yet remaining human and respectful to his peers. Maybe not complete enough to be Championship worthy like others were then and in later years. But that doesn't matter for me. I will always remember Gilles for the moments when he proved that on certain times and certain conditions he was beyond everybody of his time and era, yet never reacted as if it was his God Given right to humiliate everyone in sight.

Because of the pain I felt after my favourite driver at that time being killed, I never ever took on a F1 driver to the extend that I did with Gilles because I didn't want to be hurt like that again anymore in my life.

it still hurts, every year on May 8th and May 9th.

Addio, salut Gilles. I can only repeat what your opponent Jacques Laffitte ever said about you after your demise but what says it all....

"I am so sad he is gone but I am so glad he was here"

Adieu, rest in peace and thanks for the ever lasting memories.

Henri

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:06

To see what has been said previously, have a look at this older thread

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 13:47

Gilles was the last driver I've cried about when he lost his live. I know that he hasn't the records and stats to rank among the best. But for me, he was the most enjoyable driver I ever saw, doing things I held for impossible, yet remaining human and respectful to his peers. Maybe not complete enough to be Championship worthy like others were then and in later years. But that doesn't matter for me. I will always remember Gilles for the moments when he proved that on certain times and certain conditions he was beyond everybody of his time and era, yet never reacted as if it was his God Given right to humiliate everyone in sight.

Because of the pain I felt after my favourite driver at that time being killed, I never ever took on a F1 driver to the extend that I did with Gilles because I didn't want to be hurt like that again anymore in my life.

it still hurts, every year on May 8th and May 9th.

Addio, salut Gilles. I can only repeat what your opponent Jacques Laffitte ever said about you after your demise but what says it all....

"I am so sad he is gone but I am so glad he was here"

Adieu, rest in peace and thanks for the ever lasting memories.

Henri

Sing it Brother!