Photo
- - - - -

Ron Dennis Now Wooing Sebastian To McLaren? Who Else?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 18:43

Question: There have been rumours that McLaren’s Ron Dennis has sent you a ‘love letter’ trying to lure you away from Red Bull next season…

Sebastian Vettel Answer: Ha, it’s been quite a while since I received love letters! The fact is that right now we have so much on our hands to close the gap to Mercedes, so we are extremely occupied with the here and now. Next season is light-years away!

http://www.formula1....14/5/15799.html

What is this now? 

What happened to the strong Alonso to Macca/Honda rumors?  Does this mean dreams of that deal have gone completely South?  Was there no truth to it?

Would Sebastian consider it?  The Macca is showing signs of life this season and with the new engine....?  His Red Bull is giving him trouble, but he is known for his staunch loyalty to RBR.

What about Jenson and Kevin?  Is the former ready to hang up his boots?  Have they already made determinations about the latter? 

So what do we make of this.   Has Ron truly whipped out the guitar and gone serenading beneath the windows of the likes of Alonso and Vettel - or is this a just another in a long line of false paddock rumors.  Notably, those don't often make it to F1.com first - but this one seems to have done just that...

Advertisement

#2 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 18:53

The only way Alonso would go back to McLaren is if they offered a WDC winning car, I can't see that part happening.

#3 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:03

Vettel is more likely to be in McLaren than Alonso but he would pick Ferrari instead if both seats came vacant.

#4 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:07

The sooner Ron/McLaren realize their days of getting champion drivers  to drive for them at the drop of a hat are over, the sooner they might start to get back to the front on a regular basis, they need to set their sights lower, they haven't built a car capable of winning the championship for years, Rosberg would perhaps be a better bet to go for or Hulkenberg.

#5 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:07

Vettel? - No thank you... Would much prefer to see someone like Hulkenberg in the car.

#6 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,256 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:19

Yes, I could see Ron Dennis trying to get Vettel. It would make a lot of sense on both sides.  Button as the sole lead driver has not delivered, and it's time for McLaren to bring some new (but WDC material) blood. Vettel, on the other hand, must prove he can win without a Newey mobile, and the spanking by Ricciardo might not be to his liking for too long.   Vettel and McLaren need each other right now. 

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:22

Every half-decent team will be putting out feelers to every driver on the market, it would be utterly foolish if they weren't. Of course the fact that two sides are talking to each other doesn't necessarily mean anything.

#8 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:22

They tried to get him for 2009, surely they will do it again.

Edited by MikeV1987, 09 May 2014 - 19:23.

#9 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:25

Yes, I could see Ron Dennis trying to get Vettel. It would make a lot of sense on both sides.  Button as the sole lead driver has not delivered, and it's time for McLaren to bring some new (but WDC material) blood. Vettel, on the other hand, must prove he can win without a Newey mobile, and the spanking by Ricciardo might not be to his liking for too long.   Vettel and McLaren need each other right now. 

Why does Vettel have to prove anything? I never really understood why people are saying so.

Edited by BobbyRicky, 09 May 2014 - 19:26.

#10 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:27

Vettel has proved he's a great but I think McLarens biggest problem at the moment isn't the drivers, it's what they're driving.

#11 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,256 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:34

Why does Vettel have to prove anything? I never really understood why people are saying so.

Well, we're yet to see him win without an EngineBlownDiffuserRocketship. 

Also, I do believe that any driver gains a lot of credibility when taking on a new challenge in switching teams...  if he keeps winning with the new one.  Schumacher made the move, like Alonso, or Hamilton. Did they need to? Not necessarily. But they gained a lot of respect when it happened.    This is probably what Vettel needs to make skeptics like me finally change their mind. 

Vettel has proved he's a great but I think McLarens biggest problem at the moment isn't the drivers, it's what they're driving.

Unless the drivers are yet to extract the full potential of the car...

Edited by hollowstar, 09 May 2014 - 19:35.

#12 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:38

Drivers play very important role in terms of giving the team true direction and valuable feedback for development. Button has narrow operating window. Just look at the differences between jenson and lewis in 2012. If you only look at Jenson's performance you would think that McLaren is 3rd or 4th best team in most of the races. I respect Jenson a lot but Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel are in class of their own.  

Edited by Mc_Silver, 09 May 2014 - 19:38.

#13 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:43

IMO the big boys at Honda have rumbeld their bellies and want two top drivers for next year. Thats why we're hearing this kind of stuff.

#14 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:44

Well, we're yet to see him win without an EngineBlownDiffuserRocketship. 

Well, he did win with a Toro Rosso which wasn't an EngineBlownDiffuserRocketship.

#15 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,256 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:46

IMO the big boys at Honda have rumbeld their bellies and want two top drivers for next year. Thats why we're hearing this kind of stuff.

So Alonso + Vettel ? That would be fun  :clap:

Well, he did win with a Toro Rosso which wasn't an EngineBlownDiffuserRocketship.

True. One race. And the Toro Rosso was great in these wet conditions. 

Edited by hollowstar, 09 May 2014 - 19:47.

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:48

That does not negate that accomplishment at all.

#17 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:53

So Alonso + Vettel ? That would be fun  :clap:

Thats what I imagine they'd want. I acually posted someting smilar in the silly season 2015 thread. Will it happen? I'd say it's highly unlikely they'll get either one of them.

Edited by ollebompa, 09 May 2014 - 20:01.

#18 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:04

Unless the drivers are yet to extract the full potential of the car...

Drivers play very important role in terms of giving the team true direction and valuable feedback for development. Button has narrow operating window. Just look at the differences between jenson and lewis in 2012. If you only look at Jenson's performance you would think that McLaren is 3rd or 4th best team in most of the races. I respect Jenson a lot but Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel are in class of their own.  

It's not a point of view I agree with but that's for another thread. Meanwhile both Hamilton and Alonso were driven away by Ron so probably not much chance of getting them back just yet. Vettel it is then to bring his 2 seconds worth ('cos that's what they need).

#19 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:21

Who else?? Going by the season so far, Ricciardo may be a better option.

Advertisement

#20 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:25

If you think a driver could win the WDC 4 times and only be average, I don't know why you'd even watch the sport.  It basically means that you don't value the results and give them no credibility, and if "anyone" can win.. it cheapens the results and the value of the drivers at all, and devalues both the sport and the value of a driver in the "team".  To win one like Button fair enough, but 4...

It's just forum logic, because the teams/bosses don't think the same way.  They don't try to prove arguments on a forum, they try to win races or to score points or survive.  So it's no surprise if they can value or go after a driver that others on a forum think isn't of such high value.  They aren't trying to rank drivers on a list for the sake of discussion, they are trying to win.

#21 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:26

What is there to offer a top driver to go to McLaren?

Lets list the top drivers

Alonso - A lot of bad past history, would only go to McLaren if they offered a top guarantee that it was a WDC winning car, not going to happen

Vettel - Really the same as Alonso, but he's still in one of the best teams on the grid, unless he wants more money why risk it?

Lewis - Leave the beast and go back to Mclaren??? Crazy idea

Kimi - Is he on the slide?

Hulk - He'd jump at it!

Grojon - He'd jump at it!

Running out of drivers?

#22 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:27

Would be very dissappointing if that is the case, it's bad enough that mclaren went for button off the back of the Brawn beast but Vettel? No thanks.

#23 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:39

Not a big fan of Jenson but if Ron kicks him out of the team as one of the reasons the team isnt doing great I'll be pissed, not his fault.

I think the only way you give Jenson the boot is if he gets beaten by his teammate, and its not going to happen this year.

Edited by charly0418, 09 May 2014 - 20:39.

#24 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:42

Vettel? - No thank you... Would much prefer to see someone like Hulkenberg in the car.

4xWDC vs 0xWins?

I think if they invent time machine and bring back Ayrton, some people would still prefer Hulkenberg.

#25 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:44

Not a big fan of Jenson but if Ron kicks him out of the team as one of the reasons the team isnt doing great I'll be pissed, not his fault.

I think the only way you give Jenson the boot is if he gets beaten by his teammate, and its not going to happen this year.

We dont know that JB is giving it the best anybody can. JB is not known for monstering a car that aint silky smooth, but with the Macca in a Williams like slide, driver choice may be a moot point.

#26 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:47

4xWDC vs 0xWins?

I think if they invent time machine and bring back Ayrton, some people would still prefer Hulkenberg.

Why dont you try something more recent & glorified like MS? His 7xWDC could not save his skin on his return to F1. The jury is out on how well Vettel can perform minus the EBD and as of today, Ricciardo and Hulkenberg are definitely posting better performances than Vettel in this new formula.

#27 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:49

Because he's not showed himself to be the fastest driver in F1 in this current era let alone any other. Vettel has just been these opportunities much earlier than the other champions and his couple of years of acclimatising to F1 then followed into driving the fastest car by a long way.
What he needs to do is win in compromised equipment then he might start convincing people. The trouble is I doubt he is able to because every time the RedBull car is struggling Vettel is nowhere.

#28 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:53

What is there to offer a top driver to go to McLaren?

Lets list the top drivers

Alonso - A lot of bad past history, would only go to McLaren if they offered a top guarantee that it was a WDC winning car, not going to happen

Vettel - Really the same as Alonso, but he's still in one of the best teams on the grid, unless he wants more money why risk it?

Lewis - Leave the beast and go back to Mclaren??? Crazy idea

Kimi - Is he on the slide?

Hulk - He'd jump at it!

Grojon - He'd jump at it!

Running out of drivers?

No top driver would go to McLaren until they see they have a good car, All talk of Alonso or Vettel wont happen until 2016. So again this is just a tedious topic. 2015 would have no changes as for 2016? I think we have 7 good drivers contracts up for renewal  - Alonso , Vettel, Lewis , Button, Rosberg, Kimi, Hulk, 

#29 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:53

Would have been a very easy 1-2 for Toro Rosso that had Bourdais not stalled on the grid...They were that fast. There's a great article by Maurice Hamilton on that race and how they were the only team using a new type of brake designed for wet weather; the only leading teams didn't even take them to the race. Can you imagine if they'd have got that 1-2? It would've been greater than Spa 1998 given that there weren't many retirements!

As for this rumour, it makes no sense for anyone to move to Honda given that we don't know how good their engine is going to be. Risky move.

Edited by Goron3, 09 May 2014 - 20:56.

#30 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 20:59

I can see why McLaren would want Vettel. I can't see why Vettel would want to swap a Red Bull for a McLaren though. If you were a driver you'd want to see how the team would fair with Honda next season, as a full blown works team. I'm sure JB is eager to find out too.

#31 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:02

Would have been a very easy 1-2 for Toro Rosso that had Bourdais not stalled on the grid...They were that fast. 

Lewis would have won also if the weather hadn't changed to his disadvantage.

#32 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:02

I cannot see the engine alone delivering a championship to McLaren next year. McLaren have the Merc engine this year and have easily been the worst Merc PU team in the last 2 races.

#33 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:09

McLaren are recruiting/spending heavily at the mo. "The place to be" I was told by an engineer recently..... Although that was mostly a statement based on salary etc. there does seem to be a bit of a groundswell building over in Woking though..... Despite yet another average car this year.

#34 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:17

kd92yv.gif

#35 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:38

Why dont you try something more recent & glorified like MS? His 7xWDC could not save his skin on his return to F1. The jury is out on how well Vettel can perform minus the EBD and as of today, Ricciardo and Hulkenberg are definitely posting better performances than Vettel in this new formula.

What exactly has Hulkenberg done better than Vettel this season with this "new formula"? Rank better than him in the championship? Just like Rosberg is in front of Hamilton... And that with a Mercedes engine vs a Renault engine. Make sense please. Look at the 4 races in complete vacuum and you can make a case of Ricciardo doing a better job than Vettel, but Hulkenberg... no. Perez has a podium with the same car.

#36 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,643 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:54

If McLaren signs Vettel, I'm going to be bordering on suicidal  :lol: . My god, that's going to be a difficult thing to support. 

#37 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:55

What exactly has Hulkenberg done better than Vettel this season with this "new formula"? Rank better than him in the championship? Just like Rosberg is in front of Hamilton... And that with a Mercedes engine vs a Renault engine. Make sense please. Look at the 4 races in complete vacuum and you can make a case of Ricciardo doing a better job than Vettel, but Hulkenberg... no. Perez has a podium with the same car.

Hulkenberg is 1 of the 4 drivers this season so far to score a point in every race. He is P4 in the WDC standings, only behind the Mercs and Alonso and ahead of Vettel who has had a far superior car. Vettel incidentally for all his woes this season is P5 right now. Yes Hulkenberg got beat to the podium by Perez, but apart from that one race, he has been miles ahead of Perez in the same car in every qualy and race.

If you ask me, Hulkenberg has been Alonso-ish so far this season, always extracting a lot more than what appears possible.

#38 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 22:30

"In a shock move today, a Formula 1 team has tried to hire a top Formula 1 driver"

Frankly, I would be more surprised if Ron had not given it a try.

#39 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 22:39

Basically, Vettel is going to McLaren because their original target Alonso, has been ruled out by the returning Ron Dennis and Fernando has received a better offer from Mercedes anyway.

Mercedes want Alonso because Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe, like Martin Whitmarsh, have a vendetta against Lewis Hamilton are plotting his demise and want to see him beaten. They have realised that Rosberg is not up to the task so have offered Alonso the opportunity to avenge his loss to Lewis in '07 and prove to the world once and for all that he is truly the greatest F1 driver of this era and that Hamilton only 'beat' him at McLaren due to favouritism stemming from Ron Dennis. To ensure this objective is reached Alonso, has been offered hidden preferential treatment at Mercedes.

With Alonso going to Mercedes, McLaren will now sign Vettel instead. Ron Dennis wants a replacement for Button as Jenson is coming to the end of his career and is not quite good enough in Ron's mind and who better than the 4xWDC? Vettel is also the obvious choice because he is the only top driver and WDC on the grid who doesn't have any history with McLaren and is also the youngest.

Vettel is willing to leave RBR because he has realised that Ricciardo is the new Hamilton, he cannot beat him and that it is only a matter of time until Seb becomes #2 to the new favourite. Vettel has decided McLaren is the place to go because he has inside info that with Ron back, their new tech signings and Honda engines, McLaren are on their way back to the top.   ;)

Edited by bub, 09 May 2014 - 22:44.

Advertisement

#40 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 23:19

What a great idea for a thread, a reason for both Vettel haters and Hulkenberg lovers to post.

I can see many pages ahead

#41 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 00:49

Basically, Vettel is going to McLaren because their original target Alonso, has been ruled out by the returning Ron Dennis and Fernando has received a better offer from Mercedes anyway.

Mercedes want Alonso because Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe, like Martin Whitmarsh, have a vendetta against Lewis Hamilton are plotting his demise and want to see him beaten. They have realised that Rosberg is not up to the task so have offered Alonso the opportunity to avenge his loss to Lewis in '07 and prove to the world once and for all that he is truly the greatest F1 driver of this era and that Hamilton only 'beat' him at McLaren due to favouritism stemming from Ron Dennis. To ensure this objective is reached Alonso, has been offered hidden preferential treatment at Mercedes.

With Alonso going to Mercedes, McLaren will now sign Vettel instead. Ron Dennis wants a replacement for Button as Jenson is coming to the end of his career and is not quite good enough in Ron's mind and who better than the 4xWDC? Vettel is also the obvious choice because he is the only top driver and WDC on the grid who doesn't have any history with McLaren and is also the youngest.

Vettel is willing to leave RBR because he has realised that Ricciardo is the new Hamilton, he cannot beat him and that it is only a matter of time until Seb becomes #2 to the new favourite. Vettel has decided McLaren is the place to go because he has inside info that with Ron back, their new tech signings and Honda engines, McLaren are on their way back to the top.   ;)

LOL  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#42 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:09

now all you need to do is to send it to TJ13 and monseurF1 ... and voila, it becomes a legitimate rumor  :clap:

p.s also, tweet them to all journos ... some might pick it up   ;)

#43 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:16

realistically, vettel is already 'Imprinted' by Luca Di Montezuma, i see him going to ferrari. if mclaren really persist on getting him, i can see luca sacrificing either Alonso or kimi for him. 

p.s to know more about 'imprinting' ... dial 1-800-jacob-black

download.jpg

#44 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:40

Vettel didn't confirm or deny anything there. He basically didn't comment.

I don't think McLaren would be a bad choice for him he is a big history buff in the sport and would no doubt appreciate the connections of driving for McLaren/Honda.

As you said, Vettel has been loyal to Red Bull when they had a dominant car, but this season is very different and he now has a driver next to him that he is struggling to beat, Magnussen may pose less of a challenge overall than Ricciardo currently is.

I always thought i'd see him at Ferrari personally as its the 'romance' team but McLaren makes sense too if he were to leave Red Bull.

Edited by Thomas99, 10 May 2014 - 01:45.

#45 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46

4xWDC vs 0xWins?

Past wins and championships mean absolutely nothing compared to performance today in today's formula and today's cars. If the driver beside you can cover a race distance faster than you your past wins mean exactly 0.

#46 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:51

Red Bull will get back on track - I have no doubt about that, even if they ultimately have to dump Renault. 

It has to be admitted that Sebastian has had an extraordinary amount of bad luck so far this season - in addition to his driving woes.  Poor kid can't even practice, lol.  However, he never gives up and as a fan, I never give up, so I figure he'll come around. 

Thus, I do believe Red Bull and Sebastian will rage again - and in light of that, the question is, will Sebastian elect Macca next year or 2016 over Ferrari?  I agree that is the actual question since he has made no bones about his love for the red car.  McLaren poses a challenge - well actually so does Ferrari - both cars are sucking air at the moment and could use the continued services of a top driver (assuming those in the seats retire).

I really do not know.  I would have said Ferrari without a doubt, but I can see many reasons why McLaren would look attractive to Sebastian. 

#47 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:04

Can't see why Vettel would want to go to Mclaren. RBR have given him 4 straight titles and Mclaren are clearly struggling. Why risk it?

#48 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:36

It has to be admitted that Sebastian has had an extraordinary amount of bad luck so far this season - in addition to his driving woes.  Poor kid can't even practice, lol.  However, he never gives up and as a fan, I never give up, so I figure he'll come around. 

Thus, I do believe Red Bull and Sebastian will rage again - and in light of that, the question is, will Sebastian elect Macca next year or 2016 over Ferrari?  I agree that is the actual question since he has made no bones about his love for the red car.  McLaren poses a challenge - well actually so does Ferrari - both cars are sucking air at the moment and could use the continued services of a top driver (assuming those in the seats retire).

I really do not know.  I would have said Ferrari without a doubt, but I can see many reasons why McLaren would look attractive to Sebastian.

He has had some bad luck yeah. But so have many drivers. Daniel has a 50% mechanical non finish rate this year and 1 of the races he did finish he had a grid drop. I'm sure Daniel would trade Seb for his 1dnf anyday of the week. Lewis also had a 1 DNF at the first race and still trails his team mate because of it.

I wouldn't say his luck is extremely bad just yet. Rosberg is the only lucky driver so far.

Of course as a fan you should keep supporting him. But we support drivers not because they're the best but because we like something or can relate to them. Even if Seb continues to get beaten his fans shouldn't abandon him. The 'flock to the winning driver' fans are the worst.

Edited by Thomas99, 10 May 2014 - 04:39.

#49 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:52

Mclaren - 1 WDC in the last 16 years.

How many races did Honda win in F1 since 1991, excluding Mugen? Hungary 2006?

Odds are stacked against them.

#50 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:22

Mclaren - 1 WDC in the last 16 years.

How many races did Honda win in F1 since 1991, excluding Mugen? Hungary 2006?

Odds are stacked against them.

good point.