Photo

Motors TV - Historic GP Monaco

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 blacklab

blacklab

• 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 14:52

This weekend Motors TV are covering the qualifying & races of the Monaco Historic GP festival.

Advertisement

#2 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 18:02

Pah!! Just caught the last few minutes of the Saturday qually session :evil: . Will deffo be watching on Sunday - hats off to Motors TV for the coverage and a real F1 sound at last back on the small screen :love: .  Looks likely that young Mike Lyons could pedal off into the distance  ;) , leaving us with a real race going on behind him :smoking: . Lots of nice cars this weekend and getting ready for the Brands Hatch meeting in a fortnight :drunk: . 

#3 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 00:34

Just stumbled upon a replay of qualifying.

Wow.. This is awesome stuff. <3

#4 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:31

From comments made during an enforced stoppage the commentators are sitting in the UK .

#5 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:17

Race for 1st place in the pre 1940s was enjoyable.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:47

Watched a bit of practice, heard a commentator claim acquaintanceship with Bob Dance then proceed to repeatedly call him Jim - Not impressed.

#7 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 19:40

I recorded those races which interested me, but was irritated by the commentary which seemed to be time-delayed by about 5 seconds, so that observations were being made on events which I had already spotted, such as the Duncan Dayton handling problems.

And the repeated identification of the "Weslake" Eagle, when it was obvious to all and sundry that a Climax 2.7 was in situ. Still, better that, than no TV coverage at all.

#8 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 19:48

I was pleased when I read that Motors TV was going to be on Freeview. Unfortunately I still can't get it... :mad:

#9 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 20:22

From comments made during an enforced stoppage the commentators are sitting in the UK .

Edward

don't think so..or the bunch is extremely clever .They mentioned a 'Rally' which ended in Monaco they saw Saturday night,  and Motors TV showed the cars  during the pauses as  they paraded the circuit..

BTW Messr John Hindough(?)-the voice of Radio Le Mans, Marcus Pye and Bruce Jones were commentating..(and yes there was a delay between picture and sound...Nicanary!)

Regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 12 May 2014 - 09:41.

#10 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:33

According to Marcus Pye on Facebook, the commentary was done in rural Northamptonshire.

#11 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:42

According to Marcus Pye on Facebook, the commentary was done in rural Northamptonshire.

Cirrus --thanks...but it was made very professional..

Michael

#12 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:13

The time delay was a bit of a pain but rather that than to have no coverage at all.

I still really enjoyed it.

#13 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:34

I have other live broadcasts on Motors TV  ,  where the commentary team are not trackside in the USA but somewhere in England , I have no great problem with it , often it shows up when something happens off camera and they are left with nothing to say until the explanation becomes obvious to the viewer 

#14 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57

I was pleased when I read that Motors TV was going to be on Freeview. Unfortunately I still can't get it... :mad:

Yes and no.

To get it via freeview you need a very recent TV. i.e it needs to be a new generation 'Smart' TV with built in HD freeview you then can link the TV via wifi to your broadband router.

My own TV having just recently fallen on its sword - I have a thus equiped one on its way so I will let you know if it is that simple in practice - should then be able to receive lots of live motor sport inc Le Mans as free to air. So they say.

#15 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:10

The racing was also streamed through Monaco Info TV.  Commentary was in English, French, German and Italian with each commentator getting a quarter of the time.  Ian Titchmarsh was the English commentator which was OK but not ideal.  Otherwise the coverage on Saturday and Sunday was excellent.  The racing was very good, wonderful selection of cars, engines, noise including the wailing Matra V12 - what more does the true enthusiast need apart from being there in person?  Wonder what happened in Barcelona...... 

#16 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:14

Yes and no.

To get it via freeview you need a very recent TV. i.e it needs to be a new generation 'Smart' TV with built in HD freeview you then can link the TV via wifi to your broadband router.

My own TV having just recently fallen on its sword - I have a thus equiped one on its way so I will let you know if it is that simple in practice - should then be able to receive lots of live motor sport inc Le Mans as free to air. So they say.

I've got a Sony internet connected HD TV that I bought in 2010 but it doesn't get Motors TV.  Apparently it can't deal with MHEG streaming.  Later models do but that's not much consolation having already spent over £700 and not planning a new TV for some time.....  

#17 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:05

Good coverage overall, but shouldn't the 25 be handicapped a tad? Andy Middlehurst just demolished the field...

They also televised the Euro F3 frrom Pau yesterday, which was entertaining, but hard to imagine F2/F3000 cars used to race there, it is so narrow!

Edited by charles r, 12 May 2014 - 13:06.

#18 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:52

Andy Middlehurst can drive though...

#19 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:50

Yes and no.

Even with the a suitable Smart HD TV set and broadband, it may take some time for your set to upgrade its internal software to receive the broadcast - my set did not recognise channel 240 when it was initially announced, despite me doing a retune. After repeated attempts to retune over a couple of weeks the set eventually recognised CH 240 so I could connect to Motors TV but it took another week before the set gained the capability to load the program guide so I could see what was going to be on.
On the subject of the Motors TV program guide - it appears to be set 1 hour out from BST.

Advertisement

#20 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:09

Just back from watching in person, I am looking forward to catching up my pvr on the tv coverage.

Geoff

PS On the track commentary I thought the Ian was being paid by the word as sometimes his slot was so short - his informing of the Sainish GP grid brought a smile to the face.

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 19:40

Even with the a suitable Smart HD TV set and broadband, it may take some time for your set to upgrade its internal software to receive the broadcast - my set did not recognise channel 240 when it was initially announced, despite me doing a retune. After repeated attempts to retune over a couple of weeks the set eventually recognised CH 240 so I could connect to Motors TV but it took another week before the set gained the capability to load the program guide so I could see what was going to be on.
On the subject of the Motors TV program guide - it appears to be set 1 hour out from BST.

Doesn't sound too hopeful

.......are you getting a good service now ?

#22 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:52

Sadlyfor me I could not make Monaco this year, is anybody going to post images and results of the races on here please?

#23 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:05

The results are available here...

http://acm.mc/grand-...resultats-2014/

#24 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:14

I love these exchanges about TV technology- takes me back to the days when we bought a "set" which was, according to my Dad, "ready to receive Independent Broadcasting; not that it will be worth watching...". Then it was 405 lines being replaced by 625 followed by colour broadcasting... :smoking:

My current position, although it varies from room to room, is that Motors TV is listed on the available channels but we do not appear to be able to watch it on Freeview. We are pay for BT Infinity which, according to their advertising, should allow me to watch some motor sports but, having talked to one of their call centres, seems rather doubtful, although my grasp of languages from the Indian sub-continent is perhaps what it could be.

I'd rather read a good book anyway...

#25 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:14

Repeats of the races are being shown on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

#26 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:30

Doesn't sound too hopeful

.......are you getting a good service now ?

On the few occasions I have tried it seemed to work OK, even on my slowish broadband line - main problem for me is I only have a limited monthly usage and Motors TV does seem to gobble it up quickly.

#27 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:59

Andy Middlehurst can drive though...

Definitely, it was treat to watch.

#28 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:29

BBC engineers, at the end of WWII, proposed a change to 1,000 line television, but the BBC governors said that it would be unfair on the  couple of hundred people who already owned a television set - Never leave future thinking to a committee.

#29 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:22

Watched it at home, which as it's south west France sounds easy! But I watched it via my laptop, connected to my TV.

Covearage was OK, but you have to bare in mind, they aren't the cameras (and sometimes not the camera positions) used by FOM for the GP coverage, nor is the timing system the same, but for all that, it wasn't bad, just nice to see some proper looking cars, though the driving standards were pretty awful!

As for watching it Freeview, I can watch it via "free to view" via SKY, but Freeview is via the old broadcast system, and certain transmitters don't transmit the entire range of channels.

Now I shouldn't be able to watch any UK stuff at home, but there's a simple "plug in" that goes into the browser (search "mediahint", this allows you to watch anyones tv via the internet without using a proxy server), I connect the Lap top to the tv via a HDMI cable (which means I can watch Iplayer in Hi def) though you could go the route of a Google Chromecast, and do it wirelessly. Sat tv won't last a lot longer, net tv is the way forward!!

#30 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:24

Photographs of practice, qualifying and races on the Automobile Club de Monaco website

See, http://acm.mc/en/gra...cture-galeries/

#31 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 14:06

Photographs of practice, qualifying and races on the Automobile Club de Monaco website

Don't you wish the ACM would use photographers who don't shoot everything at 1/1000 of a second? In every shot the cars appear stationary, with every wheel spoke pin sharp.IMG_74511-Copycopy_zps178c4dfa.jpg

Nick Topliss hammers on down to Portier in ERA R4A in practice. In the race he finished a fine third.

Edited by Alan Cox, 13 May 2014 - 14:08.

#32 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 15:45

There in person for both days - twas excellent !

Will post link to some snaps soon.

#33 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:04

The results are available here...

http://acm.mc/grand-...resultats-2014/

Thank you Cirrus.

#34 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:32

Don't you wish the ACM would use photographers who don't shoot everything at 1/1000 of a second? In every shot the cars appear stationary, with every wheel spoke pin sharp.

Quite agree Alan. They all look like the cars are parked.

You would think with the quality of camera used, the light conditions and depth of field available that they might have experimented a bit.

Edited by alansart, 13 May 2014 - 16:50.

#35 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:44

When I try to watch Motors TV on "Freeview" it tells me I have to pay! I have just switched to BT You View and will see what the monthly charge is to get Motors TV added to my You View package.

#36 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:39

Although they don't shout about it, there's a strange anomaly with Sky and Motors TV. If you downgrade a Sky contract to 'Freesat from Sky', which leaves your card active and your account effectively dormant, you continue to receive Motors - even though it's theoretically encrypted. 'Freesat from Sky' also has about 100 more channels than Freesat - although whether you necessarily want to watch them is open to doubt!

#37 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:57

Quite agree Alan. They all look like the cars are parked.

You would think with the quality of camera used, the light conditions and depth of field available that they might have experimented a bit.

+2

#38 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 20:50

There in person for both days - twas excellent !

Will post link to some snaps soon.

https://www.flickr.c...57644717041053/

As promised ...

#39 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 21:02

I was there and it was great. But just watched Motors TV coverage, superb! That F3 race was an absolute classic, brilliant drives by Barilla, Leone, David Shaw, and esp. Oli Hancock. God he's quick!  Wonderful.

And who's Stuart Hall? I'd heard of most of the leading drivers, but not him. He went very well in that old Brabham

Advertisement

#40 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 21:32

Stuart Hall - Aston Martin refugee I believe ...

#41 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:16

Stuart Hall - Aston Martin refugee I believe ...

And a BRDC member http://en.wikipedia...._(racing_driver)

For those who haven't had access to MotorsTV, ITV4 are showing highlights at 8pm this evening (Tuesday)

#42 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:33

Although they don't shout about it, there's a strange anomaly with Sky and Motors TV. If you downgrade a Sky contract to 'Freesat from Sky', which leaves your card active and your account effectively dormant, you continue to receive Motors - even though it's theoretically encrypted. 'Freesat from Sky' also has about 100 more channels than Freesat - although whether you necessarily want to watch them is open to doubt!

Motors TV is FTV on Sky so you need to have a viewing card in the box to decode it - but it can be an old subscription one (as you've found) or a FTV card which costs £25 from Sky which is usually valid for 3-5yrs.

However you can't get Motors TV on Freesat (not from Sky) as they don't have viewing cards.

#43 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:05

Motors is available on Freeview with an internet enabled TV.

#44 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 18:28

And a BRDC member http://en.wikipedia...._(racing_driver)

For those who haven't had access to MotorsTV, ITV4 are showing highlights at 8pm this evening (Tuesday)

Also avialable in ITV Player for the next 29 days.....

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 21 May 2014 - 18:30.

#45 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:27

Well, I watched the ITV4 coverage and really enjoyed it, although I did have one complaint.

With the pre-war race, they went through all the fuss and bother of showing Grist cutting St Devote and then giving back the place to Dowling at the top of the hill and then they didn't show us the move when Grist actually took the lead of the race that he held to the finish! Absolutely infuriating.

That aside, all credit to ITV4 for showing this, the rest of the programme was quite well put together and it did give a good flavour of the racing. The Formula 3 race was really good, never seen so much overtaking at Monaco!

#46 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:35

Don't you wish the ACM would use photographers who don't shoot everything at 1/1000 of a second? In every shot the cars appear stationary, with every wheel spoke pin sharp.IMG_74511-Copycopy_zps178c4dfa.jpg

Nick Topliss hammers on down to Portier in ERA R4A in practice. In the race he finished a fine third.

Dinosaur!  ;)   I make no apology for re-posting your excellent photo either!

I stood next to a bloke at Donington the other week who told me that he had taken 1000 photographs (auto-snaps I would have called them) in the first practice session! I'm just off to buy some more flash-powder...

#47 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 20:02

I stood next to a bloke at Donington the other week who told me that he had taken 1000 photographs (auto-snaps I would have called them) in the first practice session! I'm just off to buy some more flash-powder...

How many rolls of film was that?

#48 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:59

#49 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:18

Must have had a big car for all those glass plates!

#50 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:36

:smoking: You guys.

I was  astonished that his shutter did not catch fire- he just machine-gunned every car which passed by. I think I took maybe six single shots in the half-hour session. Can't imagine how one would even look through that many.