* * * - - 7 votes

Is it time pastor left the sport?

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#51 maximilian

maximilian

• 414 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:15

Come on, guys... these days, most of the drivers are corporate robots.  At least Pastor is one "character" so many of you are always pining for, providing a little (by now predictable) unpredictability, an extra DNF or two by taking out another driver, and some jolly good entertainment.  Admit it, you love to hate him, and if he's gone, you'd kinda miss that! :drunk:  Pro wrestling wouldn't work without heels, and Pastor is the heel of Formula 1 - and a great one, at that. :p

Edited by maximilian, 12 May 2014 - 12:16.

Advertisement

#52 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 853 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:21

Well he does drive a black car. He doesn't get booed enough yet though - needs to learn from Kyle Busch about that.

Plus really needs to cut down on the self-wrecks and actually do a little better - a WWE heel wouldn't do so well if they kept knocking themselves out on the ring-posts before even getting into the ring.

#53 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:53

No poll so presumably just another thread for the anti-Crashtor circlejerkers to high five each other in.

I hope he stays for 20 seasons just to piss you all off.

:rotfl:

• Butchering classic circuits to suit their own rules when many smaller series use the same tracks
  • Demanding millions of dollars for the prestige of having an F1 race and leaving the second dollars dry up, regardless of contracts or laws
  • Promoting itself as the pinnacle of racing on the planet while producing some of the most boring racing on the planet, year after year
  • Giving Ferrari prize money every year, just for being Ferrari, whilst at the same time trying to screw small teams that actually need the cash
  • Harsher treatment of less-popular teams and drivers if they screw up compared to popular teams and drivers
  • Openly stating penalties are more brutal if you screw up a popular driver's race than a backmarker's (FIA statement after the Grosjean Massacre at Spa)
  • Lazily pandering to bullshit "green" initiatives when no matter what way you spin it, racing is never going to be about that at all
  • Endless fuckery with the kinds of tyres they want, seemingly changing their mind every couple of months
  • Cringeworthy podium interviews getting exponentially worse by the race
  • Baffling stewarding decisions, inconsistent penalties, "Driver 99 looked at Driver 66, the incident is under investigation"
  • Showing 15 replays of the start when nothing happened less than 10 seconds after DRS activation every single race
  • Cutting away from on-track action 50 times a race to show a driver's girlfriend in the paddock (hey FOM, we've all got enough fap material by now, let's see some racing, eh?)
  • Inventing DRS to pull a carpet over a hole in the floor by ignoring the invisible hurricane behind every car making it nearly impossible to pass
  • Implenting DRS in the most bullshit way possible by having special zones for it instead of just copying IndyCar's fair and excellent (by comparison) Push-2-Pass system
  • Writing the regulations in such a way that what should be some of the most stunning automotive creations mankind has ever come up with are instead just big carbon fiber penises with blender motors on the back
  • Removing "lifetime" bans on cheaters who put their own greed in front of other people's safety
  • Starting races under the safety car if it rained anywhere within 50 miles in the previous 2 months (changing car regs to deal with this problem is apparently beyond the engineering geniuses in F1)
  • Rotating crew of guys who raced 20 years ago and possibly never even in F1 at all partly in charge of stewarding decisions by advising
  • Robbing Kobayashi of his last-lap pass in China by some silly chequered flag rule, but it's a small team so who gives a shit about them, right?
  • 65 years of waiting for people to die before changing rules that obviously needed to be changed
  • Pretending to encourage wheel-to-wheel action while adding arbitrary points to a driver's license every time he farts too close to another driver
  • Acting like a credible sport while routinely allowing criminals to finance teams, buy races, and exert their influence
  • Routinely trying to screw over teams who do too good a job at winning races by introducing bullshit rule changes halfway through the season
  • Completely failing to embrace the internet and refusing to provide basic web features other series have had for a decade or more
  • Gouging fans for apps everyone else just gives away for free
  • Charging 3 mortgage payments to attend a GP
  • Requiring drivers to starve themselves to squeak under some arbitrary weight limit

But it's Pastor Maldonado embarrassing the sport.

Great post Mr Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post  :wave: 

He is fast, he has brain farts though. We need to see how he will cope in a Lotus that isn't on caterham level anymore. THe last time he had good car he won GP

Edited by Shiroo, 12 May 2014 - 12:54.

#54 LivingHitokiri

LivingHitokiri

• 120 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:55

I agree, maldonado doesnt deserve  to drive in Formula 1 car, not even his win can be brought as arugment, he is really far too dangerous and his talent is nothing exceptional in order to justify his stay.

#55 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:03

Come on, guys... these days, most of the drivers are corporate robots.  At least Pastor is one "character" so many of you are always pining for, providing a little (by now predictable) unpredictability, an extra DNF or two by taking out another driver, and some jolly good entertainment.  Admit it, you love to hate him, and if he's gone, you'd kinda miss that! :drunk:  Pro wrestling wouldn't work without heels, and Pastor is the heel of Formula 1 - and a great one, at that. :p

There's nothing wrong with being a character and F1 does need more of those outside the cockpit (or at least it would be nice if the teams were to be less populist marketing led in a dream world) but Pastor isn't a character in the cockpit, he's just a poor racing driver. Well, he is quick but he's a terrible racer on the whole with a serious lack of spatial awareness and decision making. Grosjean seems to have ironed this out of his driving by being more cautious but Pastor is going from bad to worse. I would be embarrassed if I was him for his last three races were he's wrecked the car on multiple occasions completely unforced and also driven into people in the race with gay abandon. That just isn't acceptable for a professional driver in even junior formulas let alone the flagship formula series where open wheels and cockpits might seem safe but very bad things can happen. The Gutierrez flip could easily been a fatal head injury for both of them had he gone underneath him as he flipped. Complete brain dead driving.

But who cares about how many of his own cars and those of others he wrecks when he's bringing big money into the team  :rolleyes: If he was on it 90% and really putting the car in places it shouldn't be then had the occasional moment I'd see it the way you suggest but he's not even on the radar at the minute.

#56 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:06

Well, a bigger embarrasment is that the financial structure of F1 encourages teams to take paydrivers like Pastor over talent.

And, like maximilian says it's funny to see how he screws up everytime, but really a character? No. Kimi is more of a character.

#57 Spillage

Spillage

• 963 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:49

He might have WON a race

But so did Brambilla

Do you think of him any different!

Maldonado's win was no fluke though. I suppose Brambilla's wasn't either, but it was a rain-shortened race that he may not have won had it continued to the end. Anyway, would you say that Brambilla wasn't good enough for F1? I don't know of many people that would.

Anyway, Spain was not Maldonado's only sterling drive in 2012. He also delivered very strong performances in Abu Dhabi and Singapore, and Valencia before an accident which I think people were wrong at the time to attribute 100% to him. Let's not forget he qualified in the top 3 on four separate occasions. That means he has talent and that means he belongs in the sport, for the time being at least. I will however concede that he gets in far too many scrapes and has been crap so far this season. He needs ticking off for Barcelona, where the car was good enough for points and Maldonado had a shocking weekend because of two absolute brainfarts on his behalf. If he can get some clean weekends together though I think he'll prove himself to be a very useful driver once again. If he doesn't, then I'll agree that it'll be time for Lotus to kick him out and other teams will find it difficult to take him on, but it is too early in the season to say he needs to go already.

#58 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 654 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 14:22

His 2014 season start has been abysmal littered with several amateur mistakes.

The guy is more cold than hot, he's shown he can drive well in 2012, the win in Spain, harassing Alonso in Australia, Singapore I think he was on for a podium but had to retire because of mechanical issues, Abu Dhabi he could have had a podium again but his KERS failed yet he finished fifth.

Above all that, the guys entertainment value.

#59 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:18

yes, he's a dangerous liability IMO, only in the sport because he comes with money through sponsorship.

Sad reflection of the sport that talentless drivers with money can rob talented drivers of a chance.

That 'talentless driver with money' has won a race in F1. Something golden boys like Hulkenberg or Perez can't say.

Maldonado is a fast driver, he just too much South American temperament. I've compared him many times with Montoya, though Maldonado is a bit more erratic. You can't win an F1 race if you haven't got talent.

Advertisement

#60 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:24

Stop bashing Pastor, he ll be back.

#61 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,329 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:28

Are you sure, that to fix the cars he broke, his team's or others and armco, etc. is cheaper than to keep him?

He bring so much money that the amount of accidents he has are non issues. I'm not a fan of the dude but I'll present you with these scenarios:

1- Pastor stays in F1 and saves Lotus from collapse. We get to see Grosjean race and people at Enstone keep their jobs

2- Pastor is out, Lotus is gone, Romain goes to a crappy team if lucky. Enstone closes doors

That money really does help F1

#62 LivingHitokiri

LivingHitokiri

• 120 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:31

That 'talentless driver with money' has won a race in F1. Something golden boys like Hulkenberg or Perez can't say.

Maldonado is a fast driver, he just too much South American temperament. I've compared him many times with Montoya, though Maldonado is a bit more erratic. You can't win an F1 race if you haven't got talent.

Yeah, thats why nobody debates if Hulkenberg or Perez are better drivers despite winning nothing. I give him props for the win but he clearly took of the situation and how well the car performed much better compared to others. Perez almost did the same thing but he had Alonso to stop him.

The problem with Maldonado is his overall performance which is poor, he crashes a lot ,makes rookie mistakes despite being in F1 what, 4 years now ?

#63 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:31

He bring so much money that the amount of accidents he has are non issues. I'm not a fan of the dude but I'll present you with these scenarios:

1- Pastor stays in F1 and saves Lotus from collapse. We get to see Grosjean race and people at Enstone keep their jobs

2- Pastor is out, Lotus is gone, Romain goes to a crappy team if lucky. Enstone closes doors

That money really does help F1

What about 3-  Pastor is replaced by another driver who brings the same funding but doesn't have a tendency to throw the car at the scenery. We get to see Grosjean race and people at Enstone keep their jobs?

#64 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,329 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 15:54

What about 3-  Pastor is replaced by another driver who brings the same funding but doesn't have a tendency to throw the car at the scenery. We get to see Grosjean race and people at Enstone keep their jobs?

that's impossible

#65 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:47

Yeah, thats why nobody debates if Hulkenberg or Perez are better drivers despite winning nothing. I give him props for the win but he clearly took of the situation and how well the car performed much better compared to others. Perez almost did the same thing but he had Alonso to stop him.

The problem with Maldonado is his overall performance which is poor, he crashes a lot ,makes rookie mistakes despite being in F1 what, 4 years now ?

Senna couldn't do anything in the same car. And that same Alonso who Maldonado managed to keep behind him for a whole race in the lion's denn you mean?

Montoya made a lot of rookie errors in even his fifth year in F1 (remember Spa 2005, or China 2005 for instance), yet nobody questioned him because of his heroic battles against Schumacher.

#66 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:52

Having compared him to a rookie Bottas and now Grosjean, Maldonado really isn't anywhere near as fast as I initially believed in 2012, being Bruno's teammate flattered him quite a bit.

This makes me question, just how fast was that Williams FW34, really?

Edited by Kingshark, 12 May 2014 - 16:52.

#67 LivingHitokiri

LivingHitokiri

• 120 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:54

Senna couldn't do anything in the same car. And that same Alonso who Maldonado managed to keep behind him for a whole race in the lion's denn you mean?

Montoya made a lot of rookie errors in even his fifth year in F1 (remember Spa 2005, or China 2005 for instance), yet nobody questioned him because of his heroic battles against Schumacher.

Senna is not in Formula 1 for a reason unlike Maldonado.

Maldonado  managed to keep him behind simply because the car was better than Ferraris and the track didnt helped Alonso to overtake him.

Comparing Montoya to Maldonado is an insult. Montoya was taking wins and was fighting for the championships since early on  , he was faster and better as a driver than Maldona, thats is clear as much.  montoya did mistakes as well but  Maldonado does them way too often and he does them when he is not pushed by anyone or anything ,many of those mistakes are dangerous for other drivers.

#68 Radoye

Radoye

• 839 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:56

As long as there are team bosses willing to give him a job, his time to leave has not come yet. Of course, the sponsorship money he brings to the team is a part of this equation too; but with the amount of points (read: prize money) that he wasted and cost of equipment he destroys he does seem to be walking a fine line.

#69 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,601 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 16:56

He's pretty terrible at avoiding other cars, and thus causes a silly amount of accidents. I like the idea of him staying in the fill the role of a villain, but I hope he doesn't start affecting the frontmarkers too much this season.

#70 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:09

Having compared him to a rookie Bottas and now Grosjean, Maldonado really isn't anywhere near as fast as I initially believed in 2012, being Bruno's teammate flattered him quite a bit.

me too...

#71 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 361 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:20

How much does a win matters if that driver uses his car as a weapon?

Not even Schumacher did that... and oh boy did he try it some times!

#72 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,455 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:26

great post from Andrew Hope. there are so many things that the ones who decide keep getting wrong. the difficulties for new teams, the money, the rules, the tires, the weight of the drivers.

but also, if F1 was better run a driver like Maldonado wouldn't be hired by any team. he makes too many mistakes and he keeps doing them.

#73 sopa

sopa

• 3,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:37

Stop bashing Pastor, he ll be back.

Yep he'll be back for one race in an almost 20-race long season.:)

#74 sopa

sopa

• 3,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:39

We should ask this question from the guy, who separates car and driver performances (discussed in another thread). I would not be surprised if his methodology sees Williams right up there with the very best cars.

#75 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,183 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 17:47

This story about the corporate robots is being repeated over and over and I think it's bullocks, especially if you use Maldonado as an example. Everytime if there is a person in the media that uses either foul language or shows a boorish, proud or plain condescending attitude, he is being 'non-corporate', or 'an unique personality'. I just can't see any 'non-corporate' behaviour is someone not admitting mistakes, accusing his own team. Or, the other way round, many posters would see 'unbearable' corporate behaviour where I saw straight old-world politeness and proper behaviour.

There is a nice piece in an episode of QI, in which Stephen Fry unlocks the coded messages in obituaries. Maldonado would have the line 'did not suffer fools gladly'. Find out what that really means and you know what I mean...

#76 djparky

djparky

• 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 18:08

he's got 30 million odd reasons that will keep him in F1 as the lesser funded teams scrabble to stay afloat...not being a fan of his I laughed hard when he binned it at the start of Q1, following on from his out lap crash in China...even then he managed to drive into one of the backmarkers on lap 1 of the Spanish GP.

He drove brilliantly to win that race for Williams- unfortunately he crashed into alot of cars/barriers elsewhere during 2012 costing them a ton of points....

Once Lotus have had enough Sauber, Marussia and Caterham would probably be pleased to take the cash he has to offer- I did watch the looks on the Lotus pit crews faces..they were not happy

#77 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,601 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 18:39

I've just had a look and neither of those two looked like rookie mistakes from what I read and saw of them.

#78 grunge

grunge

• 4,412 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 19:02

Its frankly insulting to compare Montoya with someone like Madmaldo..JPM was a faaaaar better racer,much quicker and committed no way near as many mistakes.
Back to the question at hand,yes he should be kicked out for good..Ive been calling for his head for a good 2 years now...i honestly cant figure out where this "very talented" notion is coming from...you cant make such judgements based on one race alone..specially when u have someone like Bruno Senna as a benchmark...His last two seasons and now the current one are more than enough evidence that he is probably one of the if not the least talented of them all

And the audacity to not accept the blame every single time hes messed up..not even once...those utterly rookie errors after being in F1 for a decent anount of time now,

But most of all,i call for his head because im positive there have been flashes of proper "road rage" in some of his crashes...like he gets blocked by someone,or gets slightly squeezed and hes torpedoing into them before you know it..some of his crashes last year,you could actually see him turning his steering wheel to guide his car right into another with proper intent... You cant display roadrage driving at those speeds..thats just insane...Completely unacceptable.

Edited by grunge, 12 May 2014 - 19:10.

#79 bub

bub

• 2,480 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 19:54

• Butchering classic circuits to suit their own rules when many smaller series use the same tracks
  • Demanding millions of dollars for the prestige of having an F1 race and leaving the second dollars dry up, regardless of contracts or laws
  • Promoting itself as the pinnacle of racing on the planet while producing some of the most boring racing on the planet, year after year
  • Giving Ferrari prize money every year, just for being Ferrari, whilst at the same time trying to screw small teams that actually need the cash
  • Harsher treatment of less-popular teams and drivers if they screw up compared to popular teams and drivers
  • Openly stating penalties are more brutal if you screw up a popular driver's race than a backmarker's (FIA statement after the Grosjean Massacre at Spa)
  • Lazily pandering to bullshit "green" initiatives when no matter what way you spin it, racing is never going to be about that at all
  • Endless fuckery with the kinds of tyres they want, seemingly changing their mind every couple of months
  • Baffling stewarding decisions, inconsistent penalties, "Driver 99 looked at Driver 66, the incident is under investigation"
  • Showing 15 replays of the start when nothing happened less than 10 seconds after DRS activation every single race
  • Cutting away from on-track action 50 times a race to show a driver's girlfriend in the paddock (hey FOM, we've all got enough fap material by now, let's see some racing, eh?)
  • Inventing DRS to pull a carpet over a hole in the floor by ignoring the invisible hurricane behind every car making it nearly impossible to pass
  • Implenting DRS in the most bullshit way possible by having special zones for it instead of just copying IndyCar's fair and excellent (by comparison) Push-2-Pass system
  • Writing the regulations in such a way that what should be some of the most stunning automotive creations mankind has ever come up with are instead just big carbon fiber penises with blender motors on the back
  • Removing "lifetime" bans on cheaters who put their own greed in front of other people's safety
  • Starting races under the safety car if it rained anywhere within 50 miles in the previous 2 months (changing car regs to deal with this problem is apparently beyond the engineering geniuses in F1)
  • Rotating crew of guys who raced 20 years ago and possibly never even in F1 at all partly in charge of stewarding decisions by advising
  • Robbing Kobayashi of his last-lap pass in China by some silly chequered flag rule, but it's a small team so who gives a shit about them, right?
  • 65 years of waiting for people to die before changing rules that obviously needed to be changed
  • Pretending to encourage wheel-to-wheel action while adding arbitrary points to a driver's license every time he farts too close to another driver
  • Acting like a credible sport while routinely allowing criminals to finance teams, buy races, and exert their influence
  • Routinely trying to screw over teams who do too good a job at winning races by introducing bullshit rule changes halfway through the season
  • Completely failing to embrace the internet and refusing to provide basic web features other series have had for a decade or more
  • Requiring drivers to starve themselves to squeak under some arbitrary weight limit

Yes. None of that other stuff means Maldonado is not an embarrassment.

Advertisement

#80 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,067 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:05

Then I guess it's a good thing that clearly isn't what I'm talking about.

#81 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:15

Montoya scored 8 consecutive podiums in a row from Monaco to Monza in his championship-challenging season, 2003. When Maldonado shows anywhere half that amount of consistency, we can compare him to JPM.

#82 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:19

Lol at comparing Pastor to Montoya.

#83 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:30

Lol at comparing Pastor to Montoya.

My thoughts exactly , i mean ffs https://www.youtube....h?v=RGF0Dl1dUe0 Analyse what exactly pastor  :well:

#84 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:47

If a Superlicence means anything, surely Maldonado shouldn't have one.

Having the skill to lap quickly isn't the point; it's the temperament to share the track with other drivers at 200 mph, and he simply does not have it.

#85 dweller23

dweller23

• 660 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:00

You'll probably find there is a topic for every single one of those complaints...

That solves it, then, we can safely go back to blame Maldonado for everything.

#86 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:02

If you compared them purely on their ability to race rather than their race then you wouldn't be.

#87 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,173 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:29

Really? :down:

#88 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,817 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:05

That is a **** off rant, as chief ranter I am proud of you. 

#89 maximilian

maximilian

• 414 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:15

that's impossible

It's not impossible.  Say hello to Johnny Cecotto, Jr. :wave:

#90 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,103 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:50

He can be fast so I'm sure he got talent. But he never admits any mistakes so unlike others, he never learns from them. At Williams he never listened, or rather, he listened but he never did as he was told, he never used the information he got. He might do a good race or two, but he does not have the quality one expects from a F1 driver. Also - I doubt that his sponsors pays for unlimited damage and at some point the cost of keeping him will exceed the amount money he brings.

People who met him says his a nice guy. Maybe because he did not listened, but smiled as if he understood.

#91 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,511 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:00

I don't hate any of the drivers, I respect them all, but if there were one driver in the field that deserves a lot of "negative feedback" right now, it's him.  And that to some is considered hate.  It's become so obvious in recent races that it's hard to even argue about it (his bad driving).

#92 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:28

He is a baddie. We need more baddies in F1. When was the last time we had a villain in F1? Michael Schumacher before he became a good guy in 2010?

Plus his cash ensures Lotus F1's survival in the sport and in turn, many hundreds of people's jobs are saved.

I think Fernando Alonso would fit that bill, some would believe?

#93 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:31

A certain Ayrton Senna would disagree.... And many call him the greatest of all time, myself included.... 

The temperment has nothing to do with it.

Edited by George Costanza, 13 May 2014 - 03:33.

#94 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:34

Montoya scored 8 consecutive podiums in a row from Monaco to Monza in his championship-challenging season, 2003. When Maldonado shows anywhere half that amount of consistency, we can compare him to JPM.

And Montoya could have won it had it not spun off in Indy.

So yeah, JPM and Pastor is a hilarious thing.

#95 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,067 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:27

Everyone could've won.

#96 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 300 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:35

But it's Pastor Maldonado embarrassing the sport.</p>

...what if Andrew Hope was actually Pastor Maldonado in disguise? ;)

#97 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,722 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:50

Great post Mr Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post  :wave: 

He is fast, he has brain farts though. We need to see how he will cope in a Lotus that isn't on caterham level anymore. THe last time he had good car he won GP

That is the thing that people forget. When Williams was able he put up a race twice... once at Oz where he binned it, and again at Catalunya, where he showed Alonso the ropes. The car last year was by and large lacking, and even against much hyped Bottas, he didn't look too shabby. This year, car is picking up. One thing Maldo needs to do is to avoid having as many incidents... some will happen, but as many is questionable.

#98 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,722 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:52

Bad day at work? GF/ spouse gave you crap? Either ways, epic rant!

Jokes apart, you're spot on the money... though as a tifoso, :p you know where i'd disagree with you? :cat:

#99 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,997 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 19:47

That is the thing that people forget. When Williams was able he put up a race twice... once at Oz where he binned it, and again at Catalunya, where he showed Alonso the ropes. The car last year was by and large lacking, and even against much hyped Bottas, he didn't look too shabby. This year, car is picking up. One thing Maldo needs to do is to avoid having as many incidents... some will happen, but as many is questionable.

This. If Lotus keeps developing and getting towards 2012, 2013 levels, I can see Maldonado getting a couple of podiums and possibly beating Grosjean as well.

Advertisement

#100 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,529 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 20:19

Pasture Maldonado.