* * * - - 7 votes

Is it time pastor left the sport?

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#151 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,463 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:00

The second one (with Hamilton in Valencia) and the last one (with the Force India's) was not his fault. Hamilton should have yielded, Maldonado already passed him, and the last one, where can he go? He can't make himself disappear now can he.

The Spa one is in no way defendable I think. If he keeps the inside line then he easily makes the pits with no one blocking him. Taking the racing line into the pits there was just dumb

Advertisement

#152 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:42

The second one (with Hamilton in Valencia) and the last one (with the Force India's) was not his fault. Hamilton should have yielded, Maldonado already passed him, and the last one, where can he go? He can't make himself disappear now can he.

Wrong

#153 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,126 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:36

Wrong

Great comment!

#154 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 315 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 21:21

The valencia one is kinda 50/50 id say, he was forced off by Hamilton who's tyres were heavily worn, and when coming back on the kerb kinda pushed him towards lewis.

The spa one is his fault, no question. You have to place your car on the inside too pit there.

#155 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 278 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 21:54

The clumsy crashes are funny, but his attitude on occasion - using his car as a weapon to riposte being blocked should have been a bannable offense the FIRST time it happened.

#156 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,540 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 23:00

Don't know what's the problem, but he seems to spend more and more time on gravel traps each year. The attitude of not using his car as weapon has improved maybe, or he just does not stay on track long enough to do that.

#157 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 209 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 23:56

That crash started when Chilton clipped Maldonado on the entry to Tabac, though it seems more like a slight misjudgement to me from a driver who has proven himself to be a safe pair of hands, having yet to DNF in his F1 career.

I can't find a video of the Spa Qualy incident with Hamilton in 2011, but that was a particularly bad one too.

I'm not going to blame Pastor for every crash he's been involved in. For example I don't think Lewis should have been sticking his nose in at Ste. Devote in 2011, but he doesn't seem to have learned that you can't just barge your way though the inside of a corner. If he'd put it all behind him I wouldn't give it much thought, but there's no evidence he has.

Here it is (possibly only for uk viewers): http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/14694054

#158 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:13

I watch every race I can. Spa 2009 was the last I missed and I still haven't got over it.

I'm not saying all that shit needs to be changed or that it's even a big deal, but you don't need a ton of imagination to realize F1 embarrasses itself on the regular. I just like to piss and moan sometimes and F1 makes it easy, but like every other chump I still set my alarm for 7am on weekends to watch rich kids drive cars. At this point, racing is a full-blown addiction.

Yup, I am the same way. I vehemently dislike all the things you (accurately) mentioned that are wrong with F1, yet like a chump I still follow it. Anyway, on to Maldonado, he certainly is racking up the wrecks lately, makes far too many mistakes for a driver of his experience but as has been stated, the man did win a race, and you don't do that if you're talentless. He's certainly being shown up by Grosjean right now though. I have to say that was a truly heroic effort by him to put that car in 5th on the grid at Spain....  

#159 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 545 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:23

To sum this post you can see this video, first his biggest achievement the win in spain 2 years ago, then well you will see, also here is my response to those in this post that say "he eats the monaco track for breakfast" . (This video need an update of the 2014 season).

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 17 May 2014 - 04:31.

Advertisement

#160 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 13:52

Great comment!

Do you really need more than that? He was penalized both times because both times it was obviously his fault.

#161 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,928 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:52

I guess everyone can have an 'off day', but maybe they should not happen quite that often.
Some have commented about him bringing enough sponsorship to outweigh the crash damage to his own team, but what about the damage he does to other teams cars?

#162 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 20:02

I guess everyone can have an 'off day', but maybe they should not happen quite that often.
Some have commented about him bringing enough sponsorship to outweigh the crash damage to his own team, but what about the damage he does to other teams cars?

I think you need to put things into perspective.

A teams budget is lets say 100 mil USD per season. That means roughly 2.6 mil USD per race per car. Any damage sustain by a car in a single event pales in a comparsion to the budget used to put the car there. If that effort is nullified then that is far greater damage than just the cost of the mechanical parts.

#163 bushgold

bushgold

• 206 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:27

Everyone likes drivers that go for it,  It's great to watch. Maldonado still hasn't refined and honed his aggression but he has that rare quality to create something out of nothing. He was always the more likely to cause a surprise in that Williams last year and in the Lotus who saw that 24.9 in the Barcelona test ? Pastor has good backing but if you look at the drivers that "failed" (Alguersuari, Petrov, Buemi, Di Resta etc) they are very competent drivers but they didn't do enough to stand out and distance themselves from pack. As an example, look at Kvyat: consistently in the points or thereabouts and matching his much-touted teammate. Look at Ricciardo's qualifying performances last year, Hulk etc. Their performance gets the attention of the people in the garages and the press. 

#164 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,126 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:50

Do you really need more than that? He was penalized both times because both times it was obviously his fault.

If we all posted one liners this forum would be dead, so yes. And come on now, we all know how many times the stewards have been wrong when it comes to penalties.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 18 May 2014 - 09:51.

#165 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,141 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 14:06

I wouldn't cry a river, bye bye Maldo. Lots of talented drivers with better attitudes deserve a chance. Take your money elsewhere. Maybe Nascar? 

#166 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,505 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 14:13

Here it is (possibly only for uk viewers): http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/14694054

It still boggles me that he wasn't banned for this.

#167 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 861 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 16:28

I'd love to see him in WTCC when he's gone from F1.  Imagine the even greater carnage he'd create at Macau!

#168 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,625 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 17:16

To sum this post you can see this video, first his biggest achievement the win in spain 2 years ago, then well you will see, also here is my response to those in this post that say "he eats the monaco track for breakfast" . (This video need an update of the 2014 season).

Wow.

#169 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 545 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 18:09

Have you seen the trailer for his new movie ?

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 18 May 2014 - 18:09.

#170 ionutf1fan

ionutf1fan

• 41 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 19:44

I think this season is his last chance to do something notable. Probably Lotus will improve in the next races and will give him a top 10 car.

If will continue to crash and fail to score points, my guess is this will be his last season. Even with all his money, there are other drivers who can bring sponsors, but also score some points.

#171 paipa

paipa

• 324 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:05

Dreams are coming true.

http://www.motorspor...king-could-end/

Now, Venezuela has a new sports minister, Antonio Alvarez, who has indicated this week that motor racing is being totally cut from the country's list of priorities.

"I know I'm going to win a lot of enemies," he is quoted by Venezuela's Ultimas Noticias.

"But there will be not one more dollar for motor racing. Venezuelan sport has other priorities, and it would be unfair to use state resources for disciplines that are not in line with the development of the country," said Alvarez.

#172 Murl

Murl

• 335 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:12

Dreams are coming true.

Now, Venezuela has a new sports minister, Antonio Alvarez, who has indicated this week that motor racing is being totally cut from the country's list of priorities.

"I know I'm going to win a lot of enemies," he is quoted by Venezuela's Ultimas Noticias.

"But there will be not one more dollar for motor racing. Venezuelan sport has other priorities, and it would be unfair to use state resources for disciplines that are not in line with the development of the country," said Alvarez.

About farking time.

Come in Pastor, your number is up.

#173 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,894 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:13

Dreams are coming true.

It's not as if Maldonado has improved the image of Venezuela anyway...

#174 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,668 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:14

http://www.gpupdate....ancial-support/

Same message. Would they breach a contract?

#175 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,826 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:19

Not sure lotus can hold anyone's feet to the fire with regards to contract breaking. Good riddance I say...

#176 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 154 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:39

My main concern regarding this news is what will happen to Grosjean and Lotus itself. Lotus needs this money and without it i don't suppose they will have much of a chance of lasting unless they get some other kind of big sponsor. Maybe they and Caterham will merge? Hmmm... Either way Without PDVSA, Lotus and Grosjean face troubles ahead, as of course for Pastor too. 

#177 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,485 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:53

Probably not, they'll still have to pay without receiving any benefit. Running to the end of the current contract, which is unlikely to be more than one season, would make more sense, unless there is something in the contract that would let them leave early.

#178 Murl

Murl

• 335 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:57

Probably not, they'll still have to pay without receiving any benefit. Running to the end of the current contract, which is unlikely to be more than one season, would make more sense, unless there is something in the contract that would let them leave early.

I assume it won't be "gone by lunchtime" but that 2015 will be...Pastor better start delivering in the races he has left. 

Go Pastor!!!

#179 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 182 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:06

Hi Folks, first post.

I think 2014 is his make or break season. Unfortunately he has already shown in Bahrain, China and Spain this year he is still having fairly big issues with judgement and concentration. Lets be honest, how many of us think he would still be racing if he didn't bring his mega-bucks? Yes he has won a race and had a couple of solid results, but its not consistent.

I think the most disturbing thing, aside from the silly spins and crashes is the fact he has been seen to lose his temper and lash out with his car - its not just in F1 he's been guilty of doing that.

His attitude also irks me.....get some humility....he never accepts blame and sometimes just flat out denies there is a problem - to be fair this doesn't really effect the racing though.

I also read that he was banned for life from racing in Monaco because he badly injured a marshal (not sure if it was in GP2 or WSR), but he managed to pay his way out of that one.

The guy shouldn't be racing in any series in my opinion. Him and Johnny Cecotto Jnr should retire together somewhere far far away from any race track  :p  :rotfl:

Advertisement

#180 Lights

Lights

• 9,884 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:31

Great to read this news for the sport in general because I don't like it if drivers that show they are not on the sufficient level stay in the sport year after year just because of financial backing. Let's see if teams still want to sign him up without the dozens of millions.

#181 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,625 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:27

I hope that the marshalls of Monaco have been told to watch how close they get to standing near the barriers everytime a Lotus comes around the corner. :lol:

Edited by HoldenRT, 20 May 2014 - 12:27.

#182 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,668 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:42

Without his sugardaddycountry, he would have been banned from racing a long time ago. 30m/year is hard for any team to pass on.

#183 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 13:55

Pastor, leave?

Heck no! He's just about the only entertainment we get at the moment :)

#184 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 912 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 16:38

Just showed my wife the clips above.

"What the heck is wrong with him?" was her response.

#185 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,749 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 17:05

News at F1times say all Venezuelan sponsorship to motorsport will be diverted to other sports.

Edited by saudoso, 20 May 2014 - 17:06.

#186 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,443 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 17:31

I'm not sure the videos posted above are all that fair, you could do the same for almost any driver on the grid if you just picked out all of their crashes and ignored the rest.

Maldonado has had some crazy moments for sure, but even drivers like Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel, etc... have had their own fair share of moments of insanity that fans seem to forgive them for.

#187 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 545 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:12

Dreams are coming true.

As much as i would love to see this douche canoe out of F1 we gotta take in account some facts:

First, the news that Motorsport will loose support came from the ministry of sports.

Pastor Maldonado is not sponsored by the ministry of sports.

PDVSA & the ministry of tourism are the main sponsors for this crash dummy.

The thing here is to see if the ministry of sports refer to cutting funds and support for Motorsports in all branches of the government, including Tourism & petroleum and minerals (PDVSA), or he was just referring to the ministry of sports in particular which would leave guys like Johnny Cecotto Jr., EJ Viso, Rodolfo Gonzalez and like wise without a racing opportunity, but Pastor unfortunately would still be with us for years to come probably until he gets bored, FIA or FOM ban him or PDVSA runs dry of money.

Edited by emmanuelrubi, 20 May 2014 - 20:12.

#188 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 182 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:12

Maldonado has had some crazy moments for sure, but even drivers like Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel, etc... have had their own fair share of moments of insanity that fans seem to forgive them for.

Yes, but they have 100's of wins and 16 WDC'S between them. People tend to forgive more when there is lots of talent. Plus I don't think any of those drivers have had nearly as many crass incidents as Pastor. Its not just the number of incidents, its the type, and Pastor has the type that leave a bad taste in peoples mouths and also some that just scream "Crap Driver"!

Edited by DainBramaged, 20 May 2014 - 20:14.

#189 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 702 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:19

I'm not sure the videos posted above are all that fair, you could do the same for almost any driver on the grid if you just picked out all of their crashes and ignored the rest.

Sure you could. I once did that for Felipe Massa's early years, and I am sure you could do it for others. Where Pastor differs is that he has crammed a lifetime of incidents and crazy moments into so short a time.

#190 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:56

Not to mention he have done at least 2 crashes with full intent - and he refuses to take blame for anything he does.

The only crash that's often brought up which I don't agree with, is the clash with Hamilton in Valencia.

#191 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 545 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 21:26

Is Pastor Maldonado the most unliked driver ever? i mean watching 95% of the people happy that he might loose his seat is something i haven't seen in any other driver.

#192 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 702 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 21:50

Is Pastor Maldonado the most unliked driver ever? i mean watching 95% of the people happy that he might loose his seat is something i haven't seen in any other driver.

Most unliked? Perhaps in numbers, but the ferocity of the dislike some have for Hamilton, Alonso, or Vettel is greater.

#193 warp

warp

• 347 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 21:53

Not that it matters, the Venezuelan government has been shafting investors/companies left and right with little to no consequence for many years.

#194 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,443 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 23:11

Sure you could. I once did that for Felipe Massa's early years, and I am sure you could do it for others. Where Pastor differs is that he has crammed a lifetime of incidents and crazy moments into so short a time.

He's had 63 F1 starts, and people can probably name 4-5 hot headed moments. Hardly a lifetime's worth.

Feels like a lot of hyperbole at this point.

#195 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 1,164 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 23:25

Dreams are coming true.

My guess is that they have already made an agreement with Lotus and Maldonado will not finish this season in F1.

#196 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 209 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 23:34

Mr Lopez seems to be in it for the long term...

http://www.independe...id-9401798.html

#197 sopa

sopa

• 3,434 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 00:28

Ever? Hardly. In the past there have been several drivers of who people have been happy to see the back of, especially if said driver was considered underperforming and past his prime. Ralf Schumacher's exit from F1 was almost universally welcomed.

#198 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 182 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:26

Ever? Hardly. In the past there have been several drivers of who people have been happy to see the back of, especially if said driver was considered underperforming and past his prime. Ralf Schumacher's exit from F1 was almost universally welcomed.

True, but if I was a driver, I know who I'd rather be next to going into a corner. Ralf hit his down-swing quite early and Pastor just hits other cars...and walls....and marshals. At least he hasn't hit a camera with his head :D

#199 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 545 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:16

My guess is that they have already made an agreement with Lotus and Maldonado will not finish this season in F1.

Even thought i think there is a 2% chance this will happen, who would i replace him? Im thinking Charles Pic he brings good sponsor money.

Advertisement

#200 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 498 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:18

Definitely. I don;t even think Yuji Ide, whom FIA revoked his license, had this much of crashes and stupidity.