Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

2014 Power Units - Difference between works and customers...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:32

Although the 2014 F1 engines have been homologated for the year they are allowed to make reliability upgrades and software changes though out the year.

What I was wondering is if its possible for them to have multiple revisions of the engine supplied to numerous teams? Or does the FIA police this?

For example, could one team have Revision 4, another team have revision 3 and so on?

This may belong in the Technical Forum if it does then I am sorry!

Advertisement

#2 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:35

I believe in the 1990s they used to be different but according to commentators the customer units have to be the same spec and there is a batch made for "everyone" where the engines are taken out of.

The advantage for works is no payment for engines and they have a greater role in how its developed, so generally the works team will have the unit designed with their car in mind.

Edited by chrcol, 12 May 2014 - 12:35.

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,745 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:05

Hardware wise I think they all get the same units, although if there are updates these might only be allowed on new units and not one that's are currently in use. With the new PU's being so much more reliant on SW I can see the customer teams being a few iterations behind on that count.

#4 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:23

Also that customer teams have to return engines after each race and the works team can keep them?

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,745 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:25

Also that customer teams have to return engines after each race and the works team can keep them?

Nope. All engines are returned to the manufacturer.