Photo

1964 and all that?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:07

For some reason it seems that Silverstone has a shorter history than people of my era would have thought.

The official Silverstone website tells us:

This year we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Grand Prix at Silverstone and ask you to share your favourite moments with us

Yes there was a British Grand Prix in 1964 but it was at Brands - and anyway the first time a race at Silverstone was called the Grand Prix was more like 66 years ago.

Having looked at the sub-set of the website, I see that what they are actually celebrating is not the 50th anniversary but the 50th Grand Prix at Silverstone

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:59

It doesn't get any better when you get to the relevant article:

Sir Jackie commented: "Britain should be very proud that the very beginning of Formula 1 was at Silverstone ... ".

http://www.silversto...and-prix-with-/

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:01

I see someone has seen the light - perhaps because I e-mailed 'em direct - and it now says

This year we celebrate our 50th Grand Prix at Silverstone and ask you to share your favourite moments with us.

How "they" came to get it so wrong before one can only guess.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:21

They still don't understand what they've got!

Yesterday the BBC East news interviewed someone in charge at Silverstone (I presume well-known to our younger members, is it someone called Richard Phillips?) and he was still banging on about 50 years of Grands Prix.

As I've said before somewhere, if they can't understand their own history perhaps they should refrain from trying to celebrate it!

#5 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 17:09

They still don't understand what they've got!

Yesterday the BBC East news interviewed someone in charge at Silverstone (I presume well-known to our younger members, is it someone called Richard Phillips?) and he was still banging on about 50 years of Grands Prix.

As I've said before somewhere, if they can't understand their own history perhaps they should refrain from trying to celebrate it!

I've just seen on Facebook one of the Silverstone Motor Sport Heritage signs that Silverstone has on display...it includes a photo taken at Brands Hatch!

#6 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 20:21

Having just read and looked through the official Silverstone circuit site about their 50th GP celebration. Pictures of the winning car and close ups of the winning driver and a very short synopsis of each race - superb! The words and pictures makes me want to dig into specific races, like a wet '75, accident prone '73 (this was were the Saloon car race emulated the GP Broadspeed Capri style?), Gonzalez winning the '51 and '54 edition against superior competition. A race that Ayrton Senna won just once!

Do I feel a touch of TNF DNA at the this address?: http://50.silverston...history/#accept

Jesper

-A further book related investigation suggest that Gonzalez won his only two offiicial World Drivers Championship Races at Silverstone!

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 04 July 2014 - 20:49.

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 22:22

Do I feel a touch of TNF DNA at the this address?: http://50.silverston...history/#accept

They still can't understand can they?

The preamble in that site says:

Here are the last 49 Grands Prix, amazing to think how far the Circuit and the sport has come in 50 years. We have been witness to some of the most phenomenal races and legendary drivers the sport has to offer and we reminisce here.

but they then chart the circuit over the 66 years it has been used for the Brutish Grand Prix!

#8 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:19

Some snaps from yesterday's 50th celebrations at Silverstone.

It was good to spot the W196 Streamliner lurking in the garage alongside today's Mercedes GP cars.

DSC_2905.jpg

There was quite a line-up in what's nowadays known as the Heritage Paddock, some of which took part in the later track parade.

DSC_3017.jpg

DSC_3019.jpg

DSC_3020.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

DSC_3024.jpg

DSC_3025.jpg

DSC_3027.jpg

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:44

Great photos Tony, thanks very much.  The Tyrrells look very smart.  Seeing them at Silverstone again reminds me of Stowe: Stewart and 003 slicing past the Ferraris in 1971, but not being quite so successful with 006, at the same corner, in 1973. #hashtagharvesting  :)

#10 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:50

Great photos Tony, thanks very much.  The Tyrrells look very smart.  Seeing them at Silverstone again reminds me of Stowe: Stewart and 003 slicing past the Ferraris in 1971, but not being quite so successful with 006, at the same corner, in 1973. #hashtagharvesting  :)

Ah yes - the first use of brain fade as a technical explanarion, I think?  Incidentally, JYS  was driving the Matra in the track parade.

DSC_3034.jpg