Photo

CAMS: the rule-makers for Australian motor sport

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:55

I believe it is a good time to give CAMS it,s own area of discussion, as far as I am concerned they make the Rules & the Competitor is obliged to obay those rules, end of story.

Others may disagree point out special deals that have been done but when this happens then what ever the deal was it is then available to all Competitors so why is CAMS the enemy?

In the end it is up to the Competitor to decide in what area of Motor Sport they wish to Compete in, how other Competitors interperate the rules is allways the problem not the setter of the rules.

Comments Gents, or have I got it all wrong.

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:17

CAMS has their good points but have always seemed out of touch with the majority of its members.

Having been around CAMS motorsport for nearly 40 years I have seen the best and worst from CAMS.

Though really they were responsible for me, and many others quitting our 'main' involvement with nit picking garbage and decisions that really just alienated competitors from the biggest down to someone running motorkhanas or dirt sprints.

It is a bit better these days but a bloody site dearer too even taking into account inflation

A lot more top heavy and too a degree has lost control of its own sport. Many categorys are now a 'franchise' and way more expensive. Supercars, level 1 2 and 3!! Utes, even Saloon Cars yet alone Muscle Car Masters. And others too. 

Road Racing was a rich mans sport, came down to the masses but now becoming a rich mans sport again except for a few basic classes and most historics.

Insurance has been a bugbear to all motorsport, in fact all sport. CAMS has done a better job than some sports in dealing with that though more and more things are sent to try the competitors budget and patience. The latest is the HANS devices and similar that many will not accept. And in many cases they are of no real use anyway. But will make the insurers feel good!

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:23

I thought this issue looked familiar and some searching found this thread which is worth a read

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:08

Aaaagh, I thought I had read and written about that. 

I do think this topic is slightly different to the original intent of the other thread.

#5 DavidI

DavidI

• 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:09

CAMS has their good points but have always seemed out of touch with the majority of its members.

I would tend to agree with this... as a former club level competitor(and hope to return to it in the future now life is being sorted out), particularly at the time that saw the rise of the V8 supercar class, I always got the impression CAMS was biased towards professional level motor racing and just wished anything less, whether it be state level racing, sprints, hillclimbs or (heaven forbid) motorkhanas would just go away, even though participants in those events formed by far the majority of CAMS members.

#6 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:02

CAMS are better than the AKA...

#7 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:12

I take a little differing point of view, Whilst CAMS is not infallible, what is the alternative?

We know we need a jurisdiction as without one we have Anarchy.

So a confederation of states and members from the states seems an ok method to me, we will never agree on a perfect system, but a system we have.

#8 DavidI

DavidI

• 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:40

I haven't dealt with the AKA but I can assure you CAMS are better than Cycling Australia!

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:51

If you think they are bad, try dealing with the KKK :stoned:

#10 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:39

Do you still have your robe & cross????????

#11 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:06

Dont they make Turbo chargers? :)

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:52

To quote Kevin Carrad...

"CAMS are a bunch of eccentrics running around in circles knocking b------ out of their followers."

True enough?