Photo

Sir Jack Brabham RIP

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#101 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 16:11

Not just an Aussie hero- a WORLD hero. RIP.

Advertisement

#102 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,246 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:29

0hJVpQ2.jpg......The car that started it all.

#103 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,939 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:49

And a Jack-eye view from the BT19 office.

BT19%20cockpit.jpg

Taken at Phillip Island 2013.

#104 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:45

In tribute:

DSCF3189.jpg

DSCF3190.jpg

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 22 May 2014 - 05:46.

#105 AlecHawkins

AlecHawkins

• 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:38

I have always considered the 1959 season as the beginning of the "modern' era ...the 2.5 Climax,the acceptance of engine behind the driver,etc

It is sobering then, to consider what remains of that season .

People-wise

Cooper

Brabham

Gregory

McLaren

BRM

Schell

Bonnier

Flockhart

Ferrari

Brooks

Hill

Gurney 

Aston Martin 

Salvadori

Shelby

Walker

Moss

Trintingnant

Lotus

Ireland

Hill

BRP

Herman

I cant recall the lesser privateers, but from my list , we have Moss, Brooks,Gurney as the sole survivors.....

Alec

#106 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,381 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:56

Hans Herrmann is still with us, I believe.

#107 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 00:59

I've noticed a couple of references listing Sir Jack having passed away on May 18. I know why, because of the various global time zones, but it was Monday, May 19, between the hours of 5am and 5.20am in the Eastern states (Qld, NSW & Vic) of Australia when and where he passed. Lady Margaret Brabham had given him his breakfast at 5am and went back 20 minutes later to find he had slipped away.

My point being it will only add confusion in years to come.

Stephen

image.jpg
windows 7 screenshot

Edited by cooper997, 23 May 2014 - 04:43.

#108 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,037 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:01

The first person featured on the this week's 'Last Word' ( BBC Radio 4 with Matthew Bannister) was Jack Brabham.  I thought it was a very fitting tribute. Well done BBC, well done Doug Nye. 

It's on again at 8.30pm, UK time, on Sunday evening.

#109 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:43

A bit of a plug for TNF's host, Autosport magazine tribute issue to Sir Jack, I dare say it will be a week or so away before airmail copies arrive in Australia.

image.jpg

post img

Also I need to mention the change of date/venue for Sir Jack's State Funeral from what I had previously mentioned. It will now be held on June 11th at 1.30 pm at Southport Church of Christ.

Stephen

#110 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,370 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:50

I have always considered the 1959 season as the beginning of the "modern' era ...

It is sobering then, to consider what remains of that season .

People-wise

I cant recall the lesser privateers, but from my list , we have Moss, Brooks,Gurney as the sole survivors.....

Of the ones who participated in more than just one championship race in 1959 apart from Hans Hermann there is also Brazilian Fritz d'Orey who should be still alive.

#111 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,939 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:43

The first person featured on the this week's 'Last Word' ( BBC Radio 4 with Matthew Bannister) was Jack Brabham.  I thought it was a very fitting tribute. Well done BBC, well done Doug Nye. 

It's on again at 8.30pm, UK time, on Sunday evening.

Or any time or anywhere you like at - 

#112 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:26

Hopefully the following link works for enthusiasts around the globe to view.

I think it's about 15 years ago when it was produced for Channel Ten's now defunct Motor Sport program, RPM. Obviously it's about Sir Jack, but you get some commentary from Ron Tauranac, Frank Gardner & Sir Jackie Stewart. A little over 6 minutes running time.

http://tenplay.com.a...ir-jack-brabham

Stephen

#113 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:35

A quick reminder.

It's Sir Jack's State Funeral 1.30pm tomorrow at the Southport Church of Christ (cnr Olsen Ave & Griffith Way). All things going well I intend being there and will try to give a rundown when I return to Melbourne.

Apparently FOXTEL (PayTV) will be televising the service.

MCR_July_14_c.jpg
screen grab

This was a case of right place, right time to capture Sir Jack with the BT19 - Phillip Island Historics Feb 2002.

Stephen

#114 D28

D28

• 107 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:55

A fitting tribute in Canada, to hear the Australian anthem again, 47 years after Sir Jack won the 1st Canadian Grand Prix.

#115 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:17

I am told that CAMS will be webcasting the service as it happens tonight/today so you can watch it live on the internet if you wish.

#116 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:00

Reported by ABC News this morning (UK):

"Queensland Premier Campbell Newman and Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate were among mourners (for) Sir Jack at the Southport Church of Christ on Queensland's Gold Coast.

"Mr Newman called Sir Jack a "great Australian" who paved the way for other Australians to achieve success.

"Sir Jack was a champion who did it his way," Mr Newman said. "He was a battler who took on the world and who won, time and time again."

"In a note to Sir Jack's family, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Sir Jack had a "have-a-go" spirit and led an "inspirational life".

"Australia has lost a legend," Mr Abbott's note read.

"As his father's coffin stood in front of the church, adorned with a gold helmet, steering wheel and racing flag, son Geoffrey Brabham paid tribute to the man nicknamed 'Black Jack'.

"Mr Brabham explained the state funeral had to be delayed because of the racing commitments of Sir Jack's grandsons Sam and Matthew.

"Dad would have got out of his coffin and kicked their arse if they missed a couple of matches for him," Mr Brabham said.

"He was a legend and a giant not only in motor

racing but in all Australian sport."

"Himself a racing driver, Mr Brabham added: "The only advice my dad told me my whole career was, he said 'tThere's the throttle, the brake, the steering wheel. If you crash don't come back'."

"Describing life with his dad as "never boring" he offered an insight into his father's character."Dad had his own plane and we flew to all the races together," he said. "Dad always flew just above our house when he came back from a trip. It was to tell our mum to start dinner."

"Mr Brabham also recalled a story about his father's final months.

"Someone had told dad a magnetic field would help slow his prostate cancer," he said.

"He brought an industrial-size magnet and kept it in his undies.

"The cancer count went down...so dad gets all excited and got two magnets.

"They slammed together.. some of his more delicate parts squashed together.

"It was incredibly difficult to get two multi-grips on two industrial magnets apart when you're laughing and dad is rolling around in agony.

"He lived an incredible life and I don't believe you can ask for any more.

"I know he's up there trying to talk someone into building something so they can race together."

"Flags on government buildings flew at half mast today in honour of the motor racing legend."

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 11 June 2014 - 06:02.

#117 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:01

I crept into the back of the church and it was a magnificent celebration of Sir Jacks achievements, a lot of people thanked, including the prior poster to me, but the highlight was Geoff's speech, highly amusing, great insight and wonderfully delivered. Jack stopping his plane from going into the lake at Oulton by doing a U turn and applying full throttle, in South Africa a damaged prop and conning the officials that it was actually on the other engine, were just two.

#118 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,246 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:45

Unable to attend today service i watch it live on the net via the CAMS link it was sad and solemn occasion.

Like Geoff said Jack would now organising to build a car in heaven.

PS I love the  two magnets story .

Edited by eldougo, 11 June 2014 - 06:47.

#119 wagons46

wagons46

• 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:41

[quote name="Andrew Fellowes" post="6755060" timestamp="1402466505"]

Jack stopping his plane from going into the lake at Oulton by doing a U turn and applying full throttle, ( quote)

I understood Geoff to say that he actually spun the plane at the last minute rather than turning it 180 degrees.

For those of us who aren't family but thought of the man as if he were, today was a finite moment.
Here in Australia we could go to a car associated event such as a show, dinner or meeting etc., and Sir Jack may well have been the guest of honour or just a spectator wandering around amongst us. It lifted your spirits just to see him in attendance, although I'm sure not all of these events had him over enthused, and of course he was so approachable.
That can happen no more and we are the poorer for it.
RIP Sir Jack Brabham.

Advertisement

#120 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 264 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:32

I am told that CAMS will be webcasting the service as it happens tonight/today so you can watch it live on the internet if you wish.

https://www.cams.com.au/media/news/latest-news/sir-jack-brabham-state-funeral-–-video-broadcast

Rest in Peace Guv'nor...

DCN

None of that Guv'nor stuff Doug. Ron and Jack got rid of that as soon as the team was formed. Fitting tributes to all who have made comment. A great Australian. When Rod Laver ruled the world of tennis he was barely known compared to our Jack who was our most truly international figure head in all parts of the world.

#121 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:56

Unrepentant.  From Cooper days...long before 'the team was formed'... 

DCN

#122 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:38

JB_order_of_service.jpg
windows screen capture

JB_order_of_service_2.jpg
pic host

JB_order_of_service_3.jpg
forum image hosting

JB_order_of_service_4.jpg
uploading pictures

The above shows the first 7 pages of the 16 page Order of Service booklet

The last race…

Yesterday’s (June 11) State Funeral service at the Southport Church of Christ on Qld’s Gold Coast was a superb send off to a man that many of us on The Nostalgia Forum hold with deep regard. Achievements that can never be repeated, despite the continuing Brabham dynasty of motor racers – Jack is and will remain unique.

This truly was a celebration of his life, upbeat and as has been already mentioned humorous at times. With family & friends, colleagues, members of Government and the Forces, fellow race drivers – young and old, media and humble enthusiasts there to give Jack the respect he so rightly deserved. Many travelled substantial distances to be there.

There were two religions at play yesterday, one of the faith and one of motor racing. The service encapsulated both. I arrived early to find the hearse sitting outside the main entrance and armed with a message from Mike Cooper to add to the memorial sign in book on behalf of the Cooper family. Mike, not being able to attend. Duly added, I then, after a little nervous energy in regards to this ‘State Funeral’ caper and not knowing whether ‘humble enthusiast’ would be taking up a seat better suited to someone of greater standing, approached the main entrance to the church auditorium. A brief chat with the doorman and I was being ushered to a seat 4 rows back from the main stage. It was also at that entrance where upon feasting eyes on the casket sitting in front of the stage – decorated with floral arrangement, chequered flag, Jack’s gold helmet and steering wheel – that the truth hit home. Jack was gone.

Gradually the church filled up with some familiar faces and names, plus I dare say a lot more humble enthusiasts. I didn’t bother keeping track of time, but the service was probably started 30 minutes later than intended with the delayed arrival of The Brabhams. What followed was some religion of the faith with a welcome from Rev Steve Peach, who also plays a part in CAMS motor racing chaplaincy and Prayers from Fr Harry Reuss. This then led to Queensland Premier, Campbell Newman doing his speech, followed by Paul Andrew (son-in-law of Lady Margaret Brabham) delivering thankyous on behalf of the family. From that point on, it got interesting. Geoff Brabham, taking to the stage, to so eloquently deliver anecdotes of pure gold! Worthy of someone the stature of DCN or Simon Taylor to pin him down – for a wonderful feature. I, and suspect many others, would have happily listened to Geoff for a lot longer. But circumstance dictated otherwise.

Two of Jack’s grandchildren, who have been afflicted with the racing gene, then took to the microphone – David’s son, Sam followed by Geoff’s son, Matthew. Their Pop would have been so proud. Andrew Cannon then read out a tribute with thanks given to DCN & Nigel Tait. So from that I took it that Doug was ‘author’ of said tribute.

There was another hymn, followed by Fr Harry Reuss standing over Jack’s casket doing the Committal of him. Rev Steve Peach then did the Benediction and from that point onwards Jack’s casket, aligned by 6 of the Brabham grandchildren, was returned to the hearse for what was ultimately a Police motorcycle led cortege. In the meantime though, everyone filed out of the church and mingled around the entrance. Media hanging from many vantage points to get their news bulletin or newspaper photos of the occasion.

Although there was never going to be any race pace and it didn’t have Repco-Brabham adorning the nose cone, Sir John Arthur Brabham AO OBE, April 2, 1926 to May 19, 2014 took his place ‘on the grid’ in the Holden hearse. Fittingly at least, it was a very dark British Racing Green type colour with gold lettering. So effectively Brabham Racing Organisation team colours.

Lady Margaret, Geoff, Gary, David and the extended Brabham family can rest easy knowing that they did a brilliant job and from this humble enthusiast I thank you all for sharing Sir Jack with us.

I have so much more to add of the day, but for the moment this part one will suffice.

Stephen Dalton

edit - added more of the Order of Service booklet.

Tim, it was written for the very reason you mention - part 2 is about to be started and will hopefully come with some suitable photos. Thank you for letting me know the effort was appreciated.

Edited by cooper997, 13 June 2014 - 03:07.

#123 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,381 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:20

Stephen, many thanks for taking the trouble to write all this. It's much appreciated by those of us in other parts of the world who couldn't be there in person.

#124 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:18

Reported by ABC News this morning (UK):

"Mr Brabham also recalled a story about his father's final months.
"Someone had told dad a magnetic field would help slow his prostate cancer," he said.
"He brought an industrial-size magnet and kept it in his undies.
"The cancer count went down...so dad gets all excited and got two magnets.
"They slammed together.. some of his more delicate parts squashed together.
"It was incredibly difficult to get two multi-grips on two industrial magnets apart when you're laughing and dad is rolling around in agony.

DCN

I think that at 88, Sir Jack should be forgiven for forgetting that he had balls of steel and therefore, that the magnets was not a good idea! :blush:  :cool:

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 12 June 2014 - 06:20.

#125 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:55

The last race… Part 2 (continuing from post 122)

With Sir Jack having received his final chequered flag as the cortege left the church the media disappeared in haste and the crowd filtered away too – there being an open invitation from the Brabham family to continue celebrating the life of Jack at the Royal Pines resort. But there were a few old stagers chatting away for awhile afterwards at the church. Now as many fellow enthusiasts will attest, recognising a driver or someone involved in the sport is sometimes awkward. Especially as the years tick by and grey or less hair and or a slightly more rotund figure, etc, takes over.  Even the lady from Channel Seven News looking for ‘some names’ to interview was having a predicament. Anyway I took a chance and approached a gent that looked like Jack’s former manager, Phil Kerr. Fortunately I saved much embarrassment by identifying him correctly. Phil was more than happy to chat, be photographed and sign my DCN Cooper Cars & Brabham books at the church and later the Royal Pines. He and his wife Pat had flown in from Auckland, with both being an absolute pleasure to meet.

I had also earlier worked out the former HWM/Cooper-Maserati/Lotus driver, Denis Geary was in attendance and was able to chat with him and his mates. Former Qld speedway driver, Gus McClure and 1960’s circuit racer, Graham Ward (he started with a Fiat 1100 and raced a Volvo with Bruce McPhee at the 1964 Lowood 4 Hour, etc). In more recent times, Graham has spent a lot of time with Sir Jack - taking him out and about. So hopefully you’re getting the picture that there was some quality people at the send off. Gus also saved me the indignity of getting lost between church and Royal Pines by allowing me to follow his lead. I was way out of my comfort zone in knowing the area.

As we piled into the lift to find our way to the Royal Pines reception area, Rev. Steve Peach, who had helped run the service popped in the lift as well. I congratulated him on a job well done. He was rightly proud and as he said “It’s my first State Funeral and likely the last.” 

As I viewed the reception area for the first time it was quite awe inspiring as the afternoon sun shone through the mass of glass plate. It was time to wet the whistle and upon lining up to get a drink, the person in front of me spun round and there I was face to face with David Brabham. I wished him and his family my condolences and we briefly chatted and attempted to get him together with Geoff (who was nearby at the time) for a photo. Ultimately there were so many things going on that I never got a photo of the pair together. But I did get the 3 Brabham boys in one photo, but I’ll expand on that in a minute. Later on, David told me it was literally a flying visit for him and his family – they were UK bound again today. But for the brief time I had his attention he was happy to sign the DCN Brabham book too.

The impromptu photos are the easiest to get, Phil Kerr was standing with Geoff, Matt and Sam Brabham. There’s an opportunity. But before I could get the camera sorted Geoff had been grabbed. Not to be defeated, I got the others with Pat included. Quickly they snatched Geoff back and I got another lucky one.

Then there was another rare photo opportunity that I think Pat had a fair bit to do in making happen for a chap whose equipment told me he must have been a professional. But it could be best described as like herding cats trying to get a group of 5 Brabhams and one each of Tauranac, Kerr, Ilich and Judd into one photo how the professional chap wanted them. Of course all these opportunities meant cameras and iPhones were pointed from all and sundry. In the end I snapped away regardless because it aint likely to happen again anytime soon.     

Earlier on I mentioned how I could have listened to Geoff Brabham for a lot longer at the church. I could also say that of Phil Kerr. I’m just glad that I plucked up the courage to speak to Phil and Denis. There being a possible 15 or 20 minute period whereby I had Phil’s undivided attention chatting and bouncing questions off him and wishing I was standing there with a tape recorder. I can’t thank Phil enough for allowing that to take place. In fact it only came to a halt because Pat had organised another photo for someone. And as I said to her “I do have to share him!”

As the clock ticked by and the sun drifted away, it was time for me to ponder getting on the road back to Gold Coast Airport at Coolangatta. For the 7.40pm plane ride back to Melbourne, so with a few goodbyes and a few words of wisdom from Gus McClure regarding the best direction to travel without too much back tracking, to said airport, I headed off. It soon became apparent once back on the M1 that I was 1750 odd kilometres out of my comfort zone and yet that main arterial can also be a carpark with major traffic buildup. Just like Melbourne. So in this respect I was glad I had left earlier, but then as it turned out the plane was a fair bit later leaving for home. Maintenance – the reason. This then allowed another chapter to be added to this memorable day.

Having topped up the hire car before return, I paid my $10 for the fuel and came back to find Andrew Westacott, boss of the Australian GP Corporation and one of his team, Craig Fletcher topping up. We were both in Hyundai i20’s I think (not really a car I take notice of, just the cheapest hire option) but he only put $6.50 in his. I was ripped off or too generous with fuel! I knew they had been at the funeral and as it turned out we chatted as we awaited our flight. Then we were all turfed out of that lounge. Nothing untoward, just the lounge was getting rearranged for an international flight apparently. So we had to find somewhere else to park ourselves. This then led to sports journalist, Leith Mulligan, photographer/publisher, Ray Berghouse and Melbourne-based Dunlop racing tyre guru, Russell Stuckey joining in on a little tale swapping.

It was a long day by the time I got home at midnight, but I’m glad I was there amongst many others to celebrate the life and legacy of a great Australian, Sir Jack Brabham – known the world over and humble to the end. 

Stephen Dalton

Edited by cooper997, 14 June 2014 - 10:28.

#126 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 293 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:53

Thanks for these posts Stephen, much appreciated. My small contribution in all of this, getting The Guardian to spell Ron Tauranac's name right in Sir Jack's obituary on their website. Fellow Guardianistas will know they would struggle with "Ron", John Pritchard

#127 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:03

The last race... photos

Can I preface these by saying I don't wish to offend anyone, they are not meant to be morbid. Afterall it was a celebration of Jack's life and this is just my way of showing fellow TNF enthusiasts (from around the globe) some photos that help illustrate my waffle written in above posts relating to the day that was Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - Jack Brabham Day.

Thank you to John (Slurp1955). I will use Ray Berghouse (longtime motor sport photographer & magazine publisher) as an example to highlight exactly what you are refering. As our impromptu group from the funeral awaited flights on Wednesday night, he discussed how in his game, he is potentially dealing with 25yo writers/staff and they dont know who Jack Brabham is. So you can imagine The Guardian has exactly the same issue. But slipups happen everywhere, even in one of the Jack Brabham tributes published on Motor Sport magazine's website, a couple of days after his passing, there's a wrong birth year for Jack in the main body of text.

Anyway on with the photos...

JB_Funeral_1.jpg
image upload no limit
We gathered here... Southport Church of Christ

JB_Funeral_2.jpg
image ru
When it all hit home... Jack was gone

JB_Funeral_3.jpg
image url
Tribute to his dad... Geoff was pure gold.

JB_Funeral_4.jpg
free image host
On the grid... not quite a Repco-Brabham, but the right colours at least.

JB_Funeral_5.jpg
free screen capture
The Police motorcyclists... I'm sure Jack wouldn't have minded if it was Gardner, Doohan & Stoner lurking under those helmets

JB_Funeral_6.jpg
images hosting
When the flag drops...

JB_Funeral_7.jpg
img
Max Stahl (glasses) with Colin Osborne (red tie), next to him is Chris Smith and Ken Britton, who was involved in speedway during the late 40s, when Jack was playing with the #28 Midget speedcar. Thanks to Ray Bell and Max Stahl for the extra info. John Judd jnr talking to lady (I think).

JB_Funeral_8.jpg
post images
Gus McClure & Denis Geary

JB_Funeral_9.jpg
image sharing sites
Grahame Ward & Denis Geary.

JB_Funeral_10.jpg
screenshot software
Pat & Phil Kerr with third generation Brabham racers, Matthew & Sam. AGP Corporation's Craig Fletcher & Andrew Westacott (just visible) are behind.

JB_Funeral_11.jpg
image hoster
Pat, Phil, Geoff, Matthew & Sam

JB_Funeral_12.jpg
post a picture
Brabham's success personified... Bob Ilich, Phil Kerr, Ron Tauranac & John Judd

JB_Funeral_13.jpg
free image host
The herding of the cats episode... David, Bob, Phil, Sam, Matthew, Ron, John, Geoff & Gary. One way or other all members of the Brabham dynasty.

Stephen Dalton

Edit - I must apologise to the lovely Mrs Kerr. With everything going on and too many years working in a noisy environment I misheard her name as Pam, when it is Pat.

Edited by cooper997, 16 June 2014 - 11:15.

#128 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:32

Beautiful pics, Stephen, thanks.

#129 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 293 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:52

Thanks again Stephen. Luckily I've been in the company of racing Brabhams twice. Sir Jack was at an extraordinary ensemble of World Champions in Bahrain in 2010, when Bernie managed to have 18 of them present, and mostly driving the exact machinery from their Championships. Jack wasn't up to driving the Cooper T53 brought along - I believe it was the one he won the Lombank Trophy in at Snetterton in 1961, but it had a run out none the less. Secondly, I was talking to a couple of Aussies in the Silverstone paddock at the Grand Prix in 1994 when David just came over to have a chat with us. No fuss, no entourage, good bloke, regards John.

Edited by Slurp1955, 13 June 2014 - 17:06.

#130 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 124 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:55

Great pictures, Stephen, nothing morbid about them at all - as a distant fan sitting here in England I really appreciate seeing these; I shall now go and raised a belated glass to his memory.

#131 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:48

The Brabhams are all class. Jack was a true gentleman (albeit a bit of a larrikin underneath - a wicked sense of humour and an eye for the ladies).

Geoff I have spoken to on a couple of occasions; he was always polite and helpful.

David is a legend. The guy is all class and professionalism. His career has been fantastic in sports and sedan cars. An illustration: David was sharing a Porsche - an outright condender - at the first Bathurst 24 Hour. One of his co-drivers crashed the car and the mechanics busted themselves to get the car back on track, still running in the top five or so a couple of hours to go. Then the other co-driver charged out of the pits and shredded the car at the first corner he approached at racing speed. Race over. David went around the garage and shook each mechanic's hand and thanked them for their hard work.

As a manufacturer is judged by the product, so may we judge a parent, by the actions of their children.

Bruce Moxon

#132 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:38

Wonderful words guys. Now that he has gone to that big dummy grid in the sky I feel that I can post this pic without remorse - and a wonderfully warm feeling.

Kaiser Stuhl Wines "Man of the Meeting", Surfer's Paradise International Raceway 1977.

Sir_Jack.jpg?noCache=1402659369

Edited by RW7, 13 June 2014 - 11:39.

#133 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 13:29

Wonderful words guys. Now that he has gone to that big dummy grid in the sky I feel that I can post this pic without remorse - and a wonderfully warm feeling.

Kaiser Stuhl Wines "Man of the Meeting", Surfer's Paradise International Raceway 1977.

Sir_Jack.jpg?noCache=1402659369

Sorry, bad camera angle.

Jack was the (independently judged) "Man of the Meeting" and I was congratulating him!

#134 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 14:53

Thanks for the positive comments regarding the service photos, folks.

So were you handing over 100 bottles or casks of the Kaiser Stuhl product, RW7?

Stephen

#135 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 15:40

Thanks for the positive comments regarding the service photos, folks.

So were you handing over 100 bottles or casks of the Kaiser Stuhl product, RW7?

Stephen

At least Stephen, at least.

...but only after 5 on race weekends!

#136 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:29

Gnoo Blas today...a terrific tribute to Sir Jack Brabham

P1010369Sign_zps9a97b579.jpg

P1010413_zpse2253da6.jpg

One of the Guests of Honour...Bill Buckle, Jack drove one of his cars here in the 50s

P1010384BillBuckle_zpsa232028b.jpg

The commemorative plaque in the re-named Sir Jack Brabham Park

P1010379Plaque_zpsc2004d56.jpg

Guest of Honour - Ron Tauranac unveiled the plaques

P1010424Tauranac_zpse185084d.jpg

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 14 June 2014 - 06:33.

#137 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:11

Gnoo Blas today...a terrific tribute to Sir Jack Brabham

P1010369Sign_zps9a97b579.jpg

P1010413_zpse2253da6.jpg

One of the Guests of Honour...Bill Buckle, Jack drove one of his cars here in the 50s

P1010384BillBuckle_zpsa232028b.jpg

The commemorative plaque in the re-named Sir Jack Brabham Park

P1010379Plaque_zpsc2004d56.jpg

Guest of Honour - Ron Tauranac unveiled the plaques

P1010424Tauranac_zpse185084d.jpg

104mph lap record in 1961 with two tight corners. It says a lot about Jack and his car...!

#138 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:51

:)

#139 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,246 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:02

104mph lap record in 1961 with two tight corners. It says a lot about Jack and his car...!

Its easy to edit please try it one day...... :rolleyes:

Edited by eldougo, 14 June 2014 - 10:04.

Advertisement

#140 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:37

Its easy to edit please try it one day...... :rolleyes:

:confused:

#141 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:37

Nice addition from the Orange Council and Gnoo Blas Classic Car Club to the memory of Sir Jack. Thanks for the photos Mick - a brief rundown of the day possible please?

On www.speedcafe.com there's a full written transcription of Geoff Brabham's tribute to his dad & the Eulogy read by Andrew Cannon. You can also find photos and footage of the day with various interviews from some of the guests. Just scroll back pages relating to June 11 & 12 to find them.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 14 June 2014 - 10:48.

#142 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:56

Originally posted by cooper997
The last race... photos...

JB_Funeral_7.jpg
img
Max Stahl (glasses) with Colin Osborne (red tie) - sorry not sure of others in that group. John Judd jnr talking to lady (I think).

JB_Funeral_9.jpg
image sharing sites
Graham Ward & Denis Geary. I think that's Sir John Whitmore just in frame too.

With Max Stahl is Ken Britton...

Ken and Max were long-time members of the ESSCC and rallied together, chased women together and spent a lot of time at race meetings together.

The relevance?

When Max bought Brian Muir's Holden to race, he retained the Ecurie Vitesse entrant's name. This name had been shared by Muir with Jack when the latter raced in Australia and that remained the case while Max was racing the Holden. Ken was always a part of Max's racing efforts.

The spelling of Grahame Ward's name includes the 'e' on the end of 'Grahame'.

Edit: To correct glaring error typed in here in Connecticut. Thank you, Stephen.

Edited by Ray Bell, 14 June 2014 - 14:03.

#143 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:18

Ecurie Vitesse - for Jack, Brian & Max entries.

Ecurie Australie - mainly used by Davison

Stephen

#144 RW7

RW7

• 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:26

Sorry, bad camera angle.

Jack was the (independently judged) "Man of the Meeting" and I was congratulating him!

...and I was remiss in not giving credit for the photography to my late friend, Brier Thomas.

#145 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:27

Nice addition from the Orange Council and Gnoo Blas Classic Car Club to the memory of Sir Jack. Thanks for the photos Mick - a brief rundown of the day possible please?

On www.speedcafe.com there's a full written transcription of Geoff Brabham's tribute to his dad & the Eulogy read by Andrew Cannon. You can also find photos and footage of the day with various interviews from some of the guests. Just scroll back pages relating to June 11 & 12 to find them.

Stephen

A local news team filmed it....Mr Price was MC, speeches/interviews by the Mayor (went on and on), Bill Buckle, Ron Tauranac and Mr Gregory who wrote the book on Gnoo Blas. Then the Mayor and Ron unveiled the plaques covered by an Australian Flag,

The Geoff Fry 1961 Jolus was on display along with a few moderns from the local classic car club...

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 14 June 2014 - 11:31.

#146 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:40

Here's the Speedcafe link:

http://www.speedcafe...ibute-sir-jack/

A shame someone there doesn't know how to leave the 'w' out of 'lo and behold'... where was Doug Nye when they needed him?

#147 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:15

The JOLUS on display...anyone know if there was every any connection with Jack, or just there as an example open wheeler

P1010403JOLUS_zps12f7f5bf.jpg

​(oops, almost forgot...whaddya reckon Ray?)

PS Stephen...you could contact Prime, they can provide copies of news footage (often unedited :-)

#148 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:58

Jack always used to light up whenever talking about exploits at Orange.  He always used to titter when he recalled "Asylum Straight - the FIA and CAMS today would stick us all in an asylum if anyone suggested racing there..."

DCN

#149 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,750 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:07

He would have been refering to Bloomfield mental hospital.

#150 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:12

Hmmmmmm at the Gnoo Blas service (sorry, forget the name of the backward collar chap), it was referred to as "mental" straight....Jack saying..you would have to be mental to do those speeds there...

[Edit: mental was commonly used in the Australian vernacular back then...mental hospital, mental patient etc...so mental straight (145MPH!) might be closer to the truth...ergh​...whaddya reckon Ray?]

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 17 June 2014 - 22:54.