Photo

Senna's opinion of Hill

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 13:37

It occured to me today, that I have never read, or heard what Senna thought of Damon Hill, both as a man and as a driver. Can anybody enlighten me, or point me in the right direction. Ta!

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 23:33

While I have no idea they were two entirely different people. One a very talented individual that drove like a man possessed the other less talented that generally drove with a lot more commonsense.And far less agression. Senna would have been a faster driver though Damon really was not very far behind and generally hit less other cars!

Like many I expected Senna to die in a racecar banging wheels with someone else. Not the tragic way it happened with a broken component. Though at that time he had settled down and was driving with far more brain and less agression.

#3 BenR

BenR

• 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 23:48

I have read comments from betise head (Ayrtons worldwide press officer at time) saying that Ayrton thought Damon was a good driver and that he had a lot of respect for him

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:51

There's a particular article I'd like to locate, in which Senna is quoted as saying (and I paraphrase here), "he (Damon) is exceptional in finding problems and fixing the car, he has superb testing skills", but I can't recall where I saw it. It just struck me, Senna must have said something to someone about him, surely?

#5 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:34

I know which of the 2 I'd prefer to have a Pint/Meal/Chat with...

#6 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:23

Me too, the one that's alive.  Don't really fancy the other option.

#7 Siddley

Siddley

• 174 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:57

There's a particular article I'd like to locate, in which Senna is quoted as saying (and I paraphrase here), "he (Damon) is exceptional in finding problems and fixing the car, he has superb testing skills", but I can't recall where I saw it. It just struck me, Senna must have said something to someone about him, surely?

That sounds very familiar, I'm pretty sure it's quoted in the book Senna VS Prost

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 14:49

Cheers, I shall get my hands on a copy.

#9 Siddley

Siddley

• 174 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 23:23

Cheers, I shall get my hands on a copy.

I really hope I was right then :)

It's well worth a read anyway though...it seems fairly even handed in it's treatment, but my main interest has always been the technology rather than the drivers and the team politics. I'm definitely not the best judge of that stuff.

I do have a huge amount of respect for Damon Hill though.

#10 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 00:45

Ive read that book.. I thought it was slighty too PC. Still an ok read though.

#11 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 22:04

Senna told brazilian press that Damon "is a good driver but he drives more in `zig zagĀ“ than in straight line even in the straights".