* * * * * 2 votes

Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco 2014 - Build up thread

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:29

Formula 1 makes it annual trip to Monaco and the race some consider to be the jewel in the F1 crown. One of the most prestigious and glamorous races on the calendar it is one all the drivers and teams want to win. The Grand Prix draws ever closer and as no-one has started a build-up thread I thought I would. (sorry no funny OP from me  :( )

The tight twisty track around the streets of Monte Carlo leaves no room for error and with the increased torque and less downforce this year it could be even more of a challenge for the drivers than usual.

The Important Information for the Weekend 

Schedule (All timings in local time - CEST)

Thursday 22 May

Practice 1 10.00 - 11.30

Practice 2 - 14.00 - 15.30

Saturday 24 May

Practice 3 - 11.00 - 12.00

Qualifying - 14.00

Sunday 25 May

Race - 14.00

Track Guide

http://www.formula1....it_diagram.html

78 laps of 3.34 km, it has the slowest average speed on the calendar of 160km/h.

1 DRS zone along the start/finish 'straight' 

Tyres
Soft and Supersoft

UK TV coverage
Live on sky, highlights on BBC

Weather forecast
Still plenty of time for it to change but early indications show the possibility of showers for both qualifying and the race (at least according to the BBC)

Preview quotes

Plenty to discuss before practice start on Thursday (if I keep highlighting this I won't forget  :p )
With less emphasis on power can any of the other teams close the gap to Mercedes?
Can Rosberg get his championship challenge back on track and finish ahead of Hamilton at a track he won at last year?
Will Vettel build on his improved showing in Barcelona or will Ricciardo still have the upper hand in the team-mate battle at Red Bull?
Can Ferrari and McLaren put their poor performances (by their standards) in Barcelona behind them and return to fighting at the front where they expect to be?
Can Lotus continue on their upward trajectory and get both cars into the points?
Will Force India or Williams be able to make it onto the podium after a great start to the season by both?
Can any of the new teams take advantage of any carnage at the front and sneak their first points?
With the cars sliding a lot more this year (and the possibility of a bit of rain) how many drivers will hit the barriers? 

Advertisement

#2 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 23:49

Such a great appetizer to the main course that is the coca-cola 600.

I hope to see Lewis take the pole and the victory!!

Edited by SR388, 19 May 2014 - 23:50.

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 00:04

Coca-Cola 600, you say?

What about Sato?

The Indy is what it's at.

That being said... I really think RossN has the edge over HammL this race.

Or, at least, I hope. No quarrel intended, SR.

Edited by OvDrone, 20 May 2014 - 00:05.

#4 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:00

Coca-Cola 600, you say?

What about Sato?

The Indy is what it's at.

That being said... I really think RossN has the edge over HammL this race.

Or, at least, I hope. No quarrel intended, SR.

Sato isn't looking too fast! Regardless I will be out there in my SATO t-shirt, drunkenly eating a turkey leg.

:kiss:

I agree that Nico could desperately use a win, as we are starting to get into Hamilton's wheelhouse with, CAN, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITL, SIN, USA, ABU. 

#5 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:06

I agree. Lewis tends to be a lot better on Nico when the GP is at a track.

#6 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:32

I agree that Nico could desperately use a win, as we are starting to get into Hamilton's wheelhouse with, CAN, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITL, SIN, USA, ABU. 

Wait since when were Germany, Belgium, and Italy a part of "Hamilton's wheelhouse"? Just because he has one win each around those circuits where he drove a top car for 7 consecutive years? Let alone SIngapore, Nico beasts around that track.

Nonetheless pole position will be everything around here. Another good thing for Nico is that the run to the 1st corner is short, because almost all of his starts this season have been crap.

Edited by Kingshark, 20 May 2014 - 05:33.

#7 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:18

I know folk love Monaco, but I don't.  I find it odd that when we all whinge about this years cars going slower and not overtaking, we celebrate going to a circuit where the cars go slower and there's no overtaking.

I'll enjoy the race, but I'll be thinking of Spa.

#8 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:22

Weather forecast 21 degrees celcius, bit cloudy, no rain on Saturday, Sunday & Monday.

#9 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:26

I know folk love Monaco, but I don't.  I find it odd that when we all whinge about this years cars going slower and not overtaking, we celebrate going to a circuit where the cars go slower and there's no overtaking.

Monaco's for the drivers and the deals. Great track to drive, boring race to watch.

#10 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:39

We love it because it is one of the few (only?) unforgiving circuits left ... and one of the few places where the driver's skill stands out as opposed the engineer's skill at setting up the car .... and its simply awesome to watch the cars going round the swimming pool :clap:

Edited by jjcale, 20 May 2014 - 07:40.

#11 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:10

Anybody know where I can find sector 3 lap times for the practice, the race and then the test in Barcelona?

#12 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:18

It's time for the weekend of remembering old heroes.  :up:

3382.jpg

72ffce47d1c29e8944391092ca33596f_500x.jp

Classic-Monaco-Ayrton-Senna-McLaren-Mona

gv.jpg

11331.jpg

#13 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:20

want a rainy Monaco...and a classic fight among Alonso,Hamilton and Vettel...

Edited by aray, 20 May 2014 - 08:20.

#14 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:20

Thinking / hoping this will be the first non AMG Mercedes win, Red Bull have been edging close, though, tbh, I'd be really happy to see a Force India or Williams make a surprise move for the podium

#15 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:21

Monaco

Indy

CC 600

Greatest motorsport weekend of the year.

#16 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:30

Red Bull is most likely - it's not a speed circuit, and several drivers have said that the RB cars have looked glued to the tracks through corners.

In the end though, it comes down to qualifying - he who gets the lap, gets the laurels...most of the time....

Wunderground has a very low probability of rain, alas...

http://www.wundergro...ery=monte carlo

#17 ChrisF1MyLife

ChrisF1MyLife

• 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:32

Monaco

Indy

CC 600

Greatest motorsport weekend of the year.

And World Super Bikes at Donnington, camaaaaaaan Jonathan Rea

#18 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:09

Monaco is one of the only tracks where the race could be boring but I'll still enjoy every minute of it especially from a drivers point of view.  Any excitement is just a bonus..

It's not the same as Spa or Suzuka, there are better overall tracks.. but it's so unique and the scenery is awesome.  It's a short lap but it's a non stop action packed lap, with many gear changes.

#19 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16

Agree with Holden, I can watch the on-boards around Monaco all day. :)

Press Conference Schedule

Weds - (Drivers PC - 15.00 local time)

Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Romain Grosjean (Lotus), Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso), Jules Bianchi (Marussia)

Friday - (Team Principle PC 16.00 local time)

Toto Wolff (Mercedes), Marco Mattiacci (Ferrari), Christian Horner (Red Bull), Eric Boullier (McLaren), Federico Gastaldi (Lotus),  Claire Williams (Williams)

Advertisement

#20 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:20

I believe dreams of many will be shattered with yet another Mercedes 1-2.

With wet qualifying we could hope for Red Bull pole and then on dry Sunday Mercedes could provide a good spectacle fighting to win (with so much more speed they actually could overtake on Monaco). But sadly it looks like dry qualifying and builds up as yet another procession.

#21 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:24

Not watching this week. Got asked out for the day, weighed up how much I want to watch a Mercedes win what is normally the most boring race on the calendar, and nah. Im alright this time.

Lets hope it rains and I end up regretting my decision.

#22 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:25

I cant wait for the weekend!Monaco GP always concides with the champion's league final and on Saturday I am going to be a bag of nerves hoping for the best for Real Madrid!FP3 and qualifying will always be a welcome distraction!

A bit of an omen actually,the last time a Spanish team won the champion's league,Vettel won in Monte Carlo so things looking up for Seb already!(Athletico and Real Madrid are both Spanish for you football ignorant folk out there.)

In all seriousness,Redbull need to bring their A game to this circuit if there is any chance of winning it.That said,the silver arrows will still be fast and i have a feeling the race will be decides on wich merc gets to St Dovet first!

#23 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:34

Not watching this week. Got asked out for the day, weighed up how much I want to watch a Mercedes win what is normally the most boring race on the calendar, and nah. Im alright this time.

:eek:

... please turn in your fan card at the door.

#24 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:36

Normally F1 would win over football (no contest) but I have to admit I will have one eye on the play off final on Saturday.

Expecting a Mercedes 1, 2 again - the only way I don't see that happening is some random event (safety car at the wrong time etc). I think they should have enough in the bank even with engine power playing less of a role. There car also looks good in the wet and one of the easier to drive (and 2 very competent drivers steering it :) ) so I can't imagine another team being quicker.

#25 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:37

I unashamedly love Monaco. I know there's often not much action, but there is space on the calendar for one classic circuit that is purely a test of driver skill.

#26 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,440 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:39

I am getting on a flight thursday afternoon to Nice and have tickets for the Monaco GP so I hope it's sunny and hot. It looks like it might be a bit mixed 

but who cares, I will be in Monaco watching the action up close  :clap:

#27 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:41

I don't get why people don't like Monaco. The running order is always shaken up somewhat, the footage looks amazing in HD, and there is always lots of incident right down the field. 

#28 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,823 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:48

Mercedes will win. See you next year. ;)

#29 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:49

Love it! Love the location, and when the telly guys do the job, love the atmosphere that comes across. It's a sky only job uk, so that means watching it down the pub. There's a few of us fans locally so the pub is quite accommodating to motorsport. Gonna make a full lunch / afternoon of it. Then five pints later it's back home for the start of indy500.
Yep, the swimming pool onboards still scare me, still mighty impressive high speed threading. With cars being more jittery and less adhesive this year it's gonna be a major challenge, some drivers have already said as much.
I predict Rosberg to win, Lewis to bin it, same for Vettel and Alonso. Kimi on the podium perhaps, Ricciardo again. Maybe...
Maybe a surprise podium. I reckon this is one of the least predictable races.

#30 vas04614

vas04614

• 637 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:08

Agree with Holden, I can watch the on-boards around Monaco all day. :)

Press Conference Schedule

Weds - (Drivers PC - 15.00 local time)

Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Romain Grosjean (Lotus), Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso), Jules Bianchi (Marussia)

Friday - (Team Principle PC 16.00 local time)

Toto Wolff (Mercedes), Marco Mattiacci (Ferrari), Christian Horner (Red Bull), Eric Boullier (McLaren), Federico Gastaldi (Lotus),  Claire Williams (Williams)

So this time it's strategy group members in Friday Press conf

#31 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:36

So this time it's strategy group members in Friday Press conf

Good point.

#32 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 13:34

I like Monaco, sure the races can be mind-numbingly dull but also it can throw up a cracker from time to time. but I'm expecting nothing more than another dull Merc demonstration drive here.

Let's just give Lewis the trophy and head to Canada, now there's a track I simply adore!

#33 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 13:38

Worst track of the year - not looking forward to it as usual  :down:

#34 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 13:45

Since visiting Monaco (on a non GP weekend :( ) I've got a newfound passion for this slot on the calendar, and I loved it in the first place.

Monaco is a properly nice place, and when walking the streets it blows my mind how they can host a Grand Prix around those streets, and knowing the corner speeds (albeit low in F1 terms) when standing on some of the apexes is quite amazing.

Bring on the race, another early morning session on my Hotel sofa watching a perpetually buffering Sky-Go stream... but hey-ho.

#35 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:02

Normally F1 would win over football (no contest) but I have to admit I will have one eye on the play off final on Saturday.

Expecting a Mercedes 1, 2 again - the only way I don't see that happening is some random event (safety car at the wrong time etc). I think they should have enough in the bank even with engine power playing less of a role. There car also looks good in the wet and one of the easier to drive (and 2 very competent drivers steering it :) ) so I can't imagine another team being quicker.

Dont worry it isnt on the same time!

One thing I regret about F1 2014 is that i will never hear a naturally aspirated screaming engine  sound bouncing off the hills.A mate of mine tells me it blew his mind

#36 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:14

Since visiting Monaco (on a non GP weekend :( ) I've got a newfound passion for this slot on the calendar, and I loved it in the first place.

Monaco is a properly nice place, and when walking the streets it blows my mind how they can host a Grand Prix around those streets, and knowing the corner speeds (albeit low in F1 terms) when standing on some of the apexes is quite amazing.

Bring on the race, another early morning session on my Hotel sofa watching a perpetually buffering Sky-Go stream... but hey-ho.

Living the life!  :up:

#37 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:18

I like Monaco, sure the races can be mind-numbingly dull but also it can throw up a cracker from time to time. but I'm expecting nothing more than another dull Merc demonstration drive here.

Let's just give Lewis the trophy and head to Canada, now there's a track I simply adore!

Do you believe he is beatable around Canada, indications is that the chance around Monaco is much higher that Rosberg could beat him or RedBull. Canada is his favorite track, so give him the trophy for Canada but let Monaco be :up:

#38 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:19

Hopefully some 2014 style nose appendages will get the treatment they deserve.  ;)

#39 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:21

The St Devotte Snout Snapper

Advertisement

#40 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 190 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:23

Let alone SIngapore, 

I fear the 2h-rule will come into play there...  :drunk:

#41 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 14:29

This is indeed a boring place to hold a grand prix, especially considering that the average speeds in qualifying barely exceed 100 mph. There's not even a single corner where you can run wide over the tarmac runoff and still breeze past your opponents with your DRS open!

#42 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:07

This is indeed a boring place to hold a grand prix, especially considering that the average speeds in qualifying barely exceed 100 mph. There's not even a single corner where you can run wide over the tarmac runoff and still breeze past your opponents with your DRS open!

I always thought 100 mph av was pretty amazing round there.

#43 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:16

Yep, Monaco is such a poor place to hold a race that even DRS couldnt help overtaking there.

#44 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:20

It's only mind numbingly dull if they are conserving or just playing a waiting game until the pitstops.  I've enjoyed the heck out of certain stints or parts of this race and there wasn't even a change of position, it was just qualifying lap after qualifying lap.. and for me, even watching live timing was exciting.  Certain circumstances over the years have made for great racing, and even some overtaking.. but if you are expecting lots of changes of position like a wet race, better off watching something else for this weekend.

Depends how the strategy plays out I guess.  A one stop would be dull because the second half of the race would just be waiting for them to finish.  A 2 or 3 stop with some SC's.. and it'd be interesting.  But even when it's one of the more dull ones, it's still completely out of place for such fast race cars to race here in the first place.  Pretty much every corner of the track is iconic or challenging or unique.  And there's always a chance for someone to hit the barrier.

#45 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:32

Im thinking the Red Bulls are going to be the ones to beat here. That car looks really planted through corners.

#46 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,593 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:46

I'm off on holiday for half term this weekend.  I could potentially arrange travel plans to arrive early enough to catch qualy live (either on Sky Go or in a local hostelry) but the family may not appreciate the early start and my approach to driving to achieve this.

Has anyone used Sky Go catch up (I've only used it for live programming)?  Does F1 get included in the catch up and how long after the event does it take to appear?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#47 northanmonkee2

northanmonkee2

• 247 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:49

Monaco is just a marketing exercise for the teams to treat / woo sponsors 

Bigged up by the media with a sprinkiling of celebrities 

As a racing spectacle it’s all about the qualifying and not stuffing up your start ,

if you’re not p1 after the start it’s mostly follow the car in front and hope for a mistake 

If it’s a dry qualifying then it will still be a merc front row 

It will be closer than Spain but not enough to trouble the current pecking order 

#48 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 16:01

I'm off on holiday for half term this weekend.  I could potentially arrange travel plans to arrive early enough to catch qualy live (either on Sky Go or in a local hostelry) but the family may not appreciate the early start and my approach to driving to achieve this.

Has anyone used Sky Go catch up (I've only used it for live programming)?  Does F1 get included in the catch up and how long after the event does it take to appear?

Thanks in advance for any help.

They only show short highlights (nothing longer than an hour, including ad breaks) on Sky Go, and quite poor quality compared to their live streams. You'll be better off either watching the BBC highlights or waiting for Sky to replay the race later in the day - although be warned they do often change the schedule at the last minute.

#49 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 16:10

It's only mind numbingly dull if they are conserving or just playing a waiting game until the pitstops.  I've enjoyed the heck out of certain stints or parts of this race and there wasn't even a change of position, it was just qualifying lap after qualifying lap.. and for me, even watching live timing was exciting.  Certain circumstances over the years have made for great racing, and even some overtaking.. but if you are expecting lots of changes of position like a wet race, better off watching something else for this weekend.

Depends how the strategy plays out I guess.  A one stop would be dull because the second half of the race would just be waiting for them to finish.  A 2 or 3 stop with some SC's.. and it'd be interesting.  But even when it's one of the more dull ones, it's still completely out of place for such fast race cars to race here in the first place.  Pretty much every corner of the track is iconic or challenging or unique.  And there's always a chance for someone to hit the barrier.

I believe this race is going to see conserving for about 85% to 90% of the race. I'd say P1 and P2 will likely be Mercedes, however the one "X" factor is that I don't know how much of an advantage the Mercedes power unit is going to have here. Though I suspect with the MGU-H constantly spinning up the turbine, they should be fairly ok. I believe the RBR chassis is superior to the Mercedes chassis, but the power unit has been the deciding factor to date. 

#50 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 16:11

I love this GP weekend. My fav description of Monaco comes from Jarno Trully .... "It's like trying to race a Go-Kart in your living room."