* - - - - 1 votes

Your ideal Formula

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:33

We're always hearing and discussing how the sport would be better if they did this, or they really need to change that and F1 would be great. I was just wondering what you guys ideal formula would consist of? Im talking about things like the technical aspects of the cars, e.g aero, electronic aids, engines etc. Maybe you want to have spending limits? Multiple tire suppliers. Alow turbo and N/A engines. Should all the cars be the same? How about the length of the races? Should we have two short races?

How about refueling and pitstops? Those aren't necessarily the ideas I would implement; just an example of what I mean.

Let me know how you would set up your ideal F1 to make it as good as it can be. :)

Edited by DainBramaged, 22 May 2014 - 10:39.

Advertisement

#2 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:12

3 part gin, one part vermouth, shaken, not stirred.   Ah, wrong type of formula...sorry

#3 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:41

3 part gin, one part vermouth, shaken, not stirred.   Ah, wrong type of formula...sorry

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

What's all this "parts" nonsense?? Don't you just pour until the glass is full?

#4 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:10

Lots of hp and db.

#5 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,478 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 13:13

I would like to see formula unlimited with only a few ruels.

Min weight 500kg

max width

max legnth

max height

Engines totally open

number of wheels totally open

number of driven wheels totally open

fuel totally open (gasoline, deisel, electric, alcohol, hydrogen ect)

Just let them design the fastest way to get around a track.

#6 Ksharp

Ksharp

• 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 13:18

Yeah, a more open, less regulated format. But with a spending cap, large enough to allow it, let's say, 400 million per season. 

#7 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 13:38

Reverse grids. Done.

#8 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 13:53

Reverse grids. Done.

Only problem with that would be that quali would be a game of 'who can go the slowest'.

#9 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:01

I was following F1 when Ayrton & Roland died and i don’t want to see that again.

It’s good to make the circuits safer, it’ s very good to increase the passive safety  of the cars, but it’s VERY bad to make slow cars for very safe circuits. I’m no longer impressed with the onboard footage from these “F1” cars.

I don’t like a company I never heard of making fuel flow sensors to hold back engine makers like Ferrari, Renault & Mercedes.

This must be the only racing series were they shift 30% before the red zone.

If they really want to work with fuel flow sensors, gradually increase the fuel flow to its maximum at 15000 rpm, the quantity should be enough for the ICE to make minimum 740hp, combined with 160 from the recovery systems.

As a bonus the higher revs improve the sound.

#10 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:14

At least V10 with no development/engine number per season restrictions, no aero restrictions (except in some areas of car), refueling. And less stupid penalties for drivers, but when driver deserves one it should be race ban.

#11 Tommay

Tommay

• 249 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:20

Driver seat MOST weight 100kg. 

No minimum weight- Crash testing done to similar degree as current F1.

200kg fuel limit- any engine you can possibly come up with.

Aero restricted by certain measures but aim to keep around the mark of 2008, power to grip ratio staying high due to engines having far more power

Engines/gearboxes etc most last 5 races. Engines can be updated freely however changes cannot be made within the 5 race limit.

Controlled 'ECU' part.

Split rear wing to help overtaking

#12 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:22

Is this the official FIA survey? If not, I believe people have said stuff on this subject before...here.

#13 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:23

Driver seat MOST weight 100kg. 

No minimum weight- Crash testing done to similar degree as current F1.

200kg fuel limit- any engine you can possibly come up with.

Aero restricted by certain measures but aim to keep around the mark of 2008, power to grip ratio staying high due to engines having far more power

Engines/gearboxes etc most last 5 races. Engines can be updated freely however changes cannot be made within the 5 race limit.

Controlled 'ECU' part.

Split rear wing to help overtaking

That would bankrupt F1.

#14 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:30

no refuelling, no mandatory pitstops, every year lowering of fuel cell capacity, unrestricted engines, encouraged hybrid power, no aero limits,  allowing  movable aero parts (tether mandatory)

Q format stays, Race must be longer than nowadays

no reverse grids

mandatory driver plus weight of seat for minimum 100 kgs to clear anorexic drivers

#15 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:31

Is this the official FIA survey? If not, I believe people have said stuff on this subject before...here.

Yeh Todt sent me, but I wasn't supposed to get caught! 

#16 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:34

The ideal formula of cars and tracks already exists: there's a race for this series on Sunday, and it's in Indiana.

#17 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:39

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

What's all this "parts" nonsense?? Don't you just pour until the glass is full?

I think we understand your name a bit better now   ;)

#18 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:43

Only problem with that would be that quali would be a game of 'who can go the slowest'.

Nope, I meant eliminate qualy. Reverse grids based on WDC standings.

#19 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:43

I would like to see formula unlimited with only a few ruels.

Min weight 500kg

max width

max legnth

max height

Engines totally open

number of wheels totally open

number of driven wheels totally open

fuel totally open (gasoline, deisel, electric, alcohol, hydrogen ect)

Just let them design the fastest way to get around a track.

Are the cars allowed to be driven by remote control in this series? Because the drivers would rather sit in the garage than die on track from overwhelming G forces.

Advertisement

#20 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:45

I think we understand your name a bit better now   ;)

How dare you.....hic

#21 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:46

Should "my ideal formula" be based on real life conditions or pure fantasy? Because if I drew up a fantasy, I knew it wouldn't work in real life. I.e a series without regulations.:D

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,561 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:48

I was going to start writing a list.

Then I realised that once I ensured that the cars wouldn't be unreasonably fast, would be reasonably safe and that there wouldn't be too many loopholes, I'd have been here all day and you'd have had to suffer through a document similar in size to the actual F1 tech regs.

#23 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:51

Should "my ideal formula" be based on real life conditions or pure fantasy? Because if I drew up a fantasy, I knew it wouldn't work in real life. I.e a series without regulations. :D

I don't know...I just asked the question! I asked it as a bit of fun, rather than to be taken too seriously, so just you do whatever tickles you pickle :)

#24 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:51

Just make it about racing, make it simple sporting wise. 

#25 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:52

#26 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 14:52

Should "my ideal formula" be based on real life conditions or pure fantasy? Because if I drew up a fantasy, I knew it wouldn't work in real life. I.e a series without regulations. :D

I was going to start writing a list.

Then I realised that once I ensured that the cars wouldn't be unreasonably fast, would be reasonably safe and that there wouldn't be too many loopholes, I'd have been here all day and you'd have had to suffer through a document similar in size to the actual F1 tech regs.

What have I done to people? Im sorry if I have minced heads...Im a monster!

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:02

1 - Customer chassis;

2 - Bring whatever engine you want. Fuel limit 75l per race, no refueling, engine used in qualifying must be the same used on Sunday;

3 - Weight limit at 605kg;

4 - Much more restricted aerodynamics;

5 - Wider/Larger wheels/tyres;

6 - 17 GPs per season, any exceeding race will become a non-points race with different weekend format;

7 - 12 days (three 4 day sessions) of pre-season testing (2 cars per team for each day), 9 days (three 3 day sessions) of in-season testing (two cars per team for each day);

8 - Better revenue distribution;

9 - 26 car grid, ideally.

What did I leave out?

#28 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:13

One thing I am intrigued about is allowing ground effects and banning front and rear wings altogether. This is something, which hasn't been tried out in all the recent rule shake-ups and I ponder, how would it affect racing. Including overtaking (without DRS I mean), because with ground effect you can follow the car ahead closer in corners. And you would get less dirty air from wings.

#29 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:14

I think regardless of whatever else you want to do, one of the biggest issues that needs resolved is using aero that's so efficient (if that's the right word) that it creates huge wake and turbulence which makes it very difficult to follow another car. We've had years of faster cars struggling to pass because of this. Even though it may be seen as a big step back in F1 terms, we need to go back to 90's aero.

Edit: Haha sopa, i must have been typing when you posted that. Yeah cars being able to follow each other is one of the biggest issues in my eyes.

Edited by DainBramaged, 22 May 2014 - 15:16.

#30 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:26

The OP should state that these are fantasy suggestions that people are making.

Obviously, most of what is being suggested is frankly unrealistic for financial, safety or competitive reasons.

#31 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:32

One thing I am intrigued about is allowing ground effects and banning front and rear wings altogether. This is something, which hasn't been tried out in all the recent rule shake-ups and I ponder, how would it affect racing. Including overtaking (without DRS I mean), because with ground effect you can follow the car ahead closer in corners. And you would get less dirty air from wings.

Maybe it's because ground effects with current knowledge and understanding of aerodynamics would make cars too fast to be safe.

#32 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:39

The OP should state that these are fantasy suggestions that people are making.

Obviously, most of what is being suggested is frankly unrealistic for financial, safety or competitive reasons.

Well I think its fairly obvious the answers are going to lean more towards fantasy and wishful thinking as these things tend to do. I wasn't really expecting anyone to sit and draw up a serious and workable set of sporting and technical regulations, were you? It was just meant to be a bit of fun and for people to talk about what they would like to see in an ideal world. 

Edited by DainBramaged, 22 May 2014 - 15:40.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,561 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:44

What have I done to people? Im sorry if I have minced heads...Im a monster!

I don't do anything half-arsed   ;)

#34 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:44

Well I think its fairly obvious the answers are going to lean more towards fantasy and wishful thinking as these things tend to do. I wasn't really expecting anyone to sit and draw up a serious and workable set of sporting and technical regulations, were you? It was just meant to be a bit of fun and for people to talk about what they would like to see in an ideal world. 

The funny thing is that while most "wishes" are unrealistic, it doesn't stop people from writing comments after almost every Grand Prix that "rules should be like this and this, then we would have an exciting formula - how come the powers of the sport don't get it?!"

#35 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:49

The funny thing is that while most "wishes" are unrealistic, it doesn't stop people from writing comments after almost every Grand Prix that "rules should be like this and this, then we would have an exciting formula - how come the powers of the sport don't get it?!"

Very true. I think most of us are guilty of being armchair experts and we like to think we can change the world. To be honest, its just a part of being a fan of (any) sport. Some things seem like common sense and some are just pure fantasy. Its all part of the fun.

#36 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:49

That's because some of them are only financially/politically unrealistic, but perfectly possible. Like unrestricted V12s.

#37 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:51

That's because some of them are only financially/politically unrealistic, but perfectly possible. Like unrestricted V12s.

Good point. I think rose tinted specs comes into a lot of opinions as well. As humans we are very good at looking to the past instead of the future.

#38 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:09

2004 + KERS + Slicks

Done

#39 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:17

Talking about years... what about 1967 plus modern safety? 

Which roughly means F1 cars without wings, 1967 was the last year like that...

Advertisement

#40 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:22

Budget cap of £75million per year, per car.

Single car teams allowed.

Standard chassis with standard safety features, but open tyre, aero and engine regulations.

Fastest man wins.

#41 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:22

I'd stick with similar technical regulations to what we have now. But I do feel that most of F1's problems stem from an unwillingness to change some of its more traditional aspects. So I'd keep things the same except:

- First rule: No lawyers.

- Second rule: No arguing. "If we say its a hole, it's a friggin' hole!"

- Give more technical freedom in the engine department (relevant to manufacturers).

- Give mechanical development a little more freedom.

- Keep aero development very tightly regulated (biggest expense, little relevance). Fix the noses first.

- Increase the size of the grid to 26 cars. Limit the race calendar to a maximum 20 events equally spaced.

- Scrap the qualifying "show". Grid position is the averaged results of practice sessions.

- Scrap parc-ferme, but garages are closed overnight without exception (if you binned it and it can't be repaired in time... tough).

- Have one or two sprint races on Saturday (50% distance of the Sunday race, half points).

- Sunday race remains as-is. Grid positions determined by prior race finishing order (no reverse grid).

- Consider special events at historic circuits (e.g. Spa is 2x usual race distance and double points).

- Ditch the "use both compounds" rule left over from '09. Tyre manufacturer makes 3-4 compounds. Teams can choose which they use and when.

- Ditch or revamp DRS. If it is necessary to allow cars to get close, then have it disable when cars are in close proximity for a fair fight.

- Find a safe alternative to concrete run-off. Strictly punish breaches of track limits until then. Perhaps relax track design rules.

- Trial a limit of pit-car communications. Limit it to lap times/gaps, pit stop notifications and emergencies. Driver drives, engineer informs.

- Rebalance the distribution of income. Something like 60% of is distributed exactly equally. Remaining 40% distributed according to championship position.

- Consider a staff or working hours cap (a budget cap would be unworkable). May be unnecessary with redistributed income.

- 21st Century coverage with live streaming, Youtube highlights, blow-by-blow Twitter discussion, etc.

- Allow one and three-car teams. Preference given to two-car teams, then one-car teams, then three-car teams.

- Rear-wing endplates and a space on the nose are reserved for driver numbers.

- Allow per-car and per-driver liveries for more sponsor-oppurtunities.

- Region specific hats for the podium at every race.

Edited by Fourjays, 22 May 2014 - 16:27.

#42 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:24

I'd like for everything to be equal. Have it be a 'Drivers' championship.

The cars are absolutely identical and it's all down to driver skill.

#43 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:25

£200m max spend excluding driver salary. Everything designed by teams in-house unless supplied as a spec part directly from a not for profit independent body (FIA if they want it) to keep an eye on costs.

If this means a team wants to employ Dallara to make them a tub, it has to go through this body. No dodgy backhanders.

Engines anything they want but a set limit of £25m a season to charge each team. If needs be dictate a minimum output percentage per lap via energy recovery to keep it relevant, don't care what limit.

Safety rules unchanged.

Everything else open formula.

#44 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:28

Fastest man wins.

What about an average man winning?  :p

#45 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:31

What about an average man winning?  :p

Only if he averages out as the fastest  :p

#46 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:36

What about an average man winning? :p

I was gonna say "Like Chilton", but he's prob below average 😑

Edited by DainBramaged, 22 May 2014 - 16:37.

#47 Molo19

Molo19

• 195 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 18:50

Yeah, a more open, less regulated format. But with a spending cap, large enough to allow it, let's say, 400 million per season. 

unless you talking about yen, that's effectively unlimited spending.

#48 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 20:39

- V12 twin turbo 

- DRS + KERS

- Durable tyres

- No car restrictions except: open wheeler, height and length, minimum weight 700kg 

Edited by Shiroo, 22 May 2014 - 20:40.

#49 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 21:00

Race on "proper" race tracks. No Tilke tracks.

#50 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:49

50/50 front/rear weight distribution

no in pit speed limiter

2008 aero package, plus current front/rear wing height, 2 meter track width, and 1988 rear tire width

minimum car weight: 500kg

no drs, kers, or turbo

no computer controlled differential

no plank, or stepped under body

no rev limit

2.5 liter V12

no minimum engine weight

no minimum engine center of gravity

no maximum modulus of elasticity for engine material

total ban on hazardous metal: beryllium, depleted uranium...

Sporting regulations:

no two compound rule

multiple tire suppliers

reintroduce refuelling

engine and gearbox only have to last for 1 full qualifying session and 1 race for the race week

60 minute open Q session

Edited by crbassassin, 23 May 2014 - 05:51.