Photo

Works MZ racers of the 1960s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 21:33

I am planning to repaint my MZ road bike in the colours of the works MZ racers of the 1960s as raced by Derek Woodman, Alan Shepherd and Ernst Degner. The silver is straight forward enough but the top half of the fairings were in green, dark green I believe. Does anyone here either have the correct colour match for the green (I've found both dark and light green in Google Images) or know where there is a works MZ in this country? Many thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 00:10

I could have sworn that they were blue but the only images I can find show them with the green top to the fairing.  I had a Protar model of one and I always remember it as being blue, I have photo somewhere of it.

One other thing that comes to mind as far as me thinking they weren't green is that in the early days of blokes racing the MZ singles in the late 80's I went to their annual prize giving.  Alan Sheperd was the guest of honour and he gave a really interesting talk on the events leading up to and including his win at the US 250GP in 1964.  He spoke at length about Walter Kaaden and the effect that Ernst Degners defection had on him, one thing that apparently really upset Kaaden was that Suzuki not only got all the technical info but they also used the same colour scheme on their bikes.  Maybe it's just the silver I'm thinking of.

Edited by Robin127, 23 May 2014 - 00:11.

#3 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:53

The 125 had a blue top half, the 250 a green one

#4 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:55

Robin

Funny you should mention that but I saw them race and I thought they were blue/silver but a search on Google Images confirms they were green, or according to Rennmax, the 250s were. Now what shade as I've seen various shades of green?

#5 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:29

Robin
Funny you should mention that but I saw them race and I thought they were blue/silver but a search on Google Images confirms they were green, or according to Rennmax, the 250s were. Now what shade as I've seen various shades of green?

Hi Paul, if it is of real interest, I could find out the RAL colour scheme number over here. When you google for 'MZ RE 125' you will find a lot of blue ones.

#6 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:29

I bet there's one in Sammy Miller's museum if you're anywhere near the New Forest. Well worth a visit in any case 

#7 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 18:09

Rennmax, The RAL code number would be perfect if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

Fastfitter, I thought that either the National Motorcycle Museum or Sammy Miller's Museum might have one, and emailed SM the other day. No reply so far but an RAL number would solve the question, thanks.