Hamilton begins mind games; 'I'm hungrier for success than Nico'

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:58

http://m.bbc.co.uk/s...rmula1/27530327

Poor, poor Lewis. It was a Dickensian life for him, right out of the pages of Oliver Twist - though I don't remember the part where Oliver's daddy buys him a kart and takes him racing, and then McLaren signs him at 13 and makes sure that he has the best of everything until he steps into one of the best F1 cars in the field, but I must admit, I skipped forward a couple of pages there in the middle.

Advertisement

#2 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:02

And this is where their relationship starts to deteriorate. 

#3 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:02

Seeing what has happened in the Nico vs Lewis thread over this, I suggest you prepare for attack.

#4 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:03

And this is where their relationship starts to deteriorate. 

Indeed.

#5 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:06

He never said "I'm hungrier than Rosberg". Stop trying to start a brawl.

#6 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:12

For God's sake, do we really need such a thread? 

#7 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:18

He never said "I'm hungrier than Rosberg". Stop trying to start a brawl.

With all due respect, that's pretty much what he said:

"I come from a not great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad's apartment," said Hamilton. Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different."

#8 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:24

hunger is different."

It is implied

But not directly said. There is a difference to between "more hunger", and "different hunger"

#9 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:24

He never said he was hungrier than Nico, he said the hunger was different and explained why. He also said he wants to be the hungriest and basically that to be a succesful driver you cannot believe that others are hungrier than you.

He also never said he was extremely impoverished, he just explained some of the differences between his upbringing and Rosberg's upbringing which contribute to making them different people in certain ways.

And how is that 'mind games' exactly?

Edited by bub, 24 May 2014 - 23:43.

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:25

"I come from a not great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad's apartment," said Hamilton. Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different."

Of course it's not what he said.  "Different" is not 'more".

Different could be 'being the best racing driver and wdc like my dad" versus "being a success" or whatever. 

The opening post is just ill-natured and dishonest.

#11 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:27

And how is that 'mind games' exactly?

It's not. But it sends a pretty clear message to Nico, something like "boy, you better buckle up cause I'm fully committed to winning this year". 

#12 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

i rally hated that he brought up Nico's past to prove some point.I have been in the position Rosberg was in high school where I went to a national school where there were loads of underprivileged kids who looked down on me because I was from the city and was apparently 'pampered".I wont lie to you,it hurt.Because I was just as hungry to pass as they were and I worked  just as hard in my middle school to get to into the school.

I know its a ruthless world in F1,and drivers say anything to get in the minds of drivers,but i think Lewis kind of crossed the line,especially when i considered him to be above that nonsense.

Its a shame,i support him in the mercedes WDC battle but some things that come out of his mouth..

#13 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

I think the thread should be renamed "Reading comprehension, the lost art".  Or just good old confirmation bias.

#14 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:31

Poor, poor Lewis. It was a Dickensian life for him, right out of the pages of Oliver Twist - though I don't remember the part where Oliver's daddy buys him a kart and takes him racing, and then McLaren signs him at 13 and makes sure that he has the best of everything until he steps into one of the best F1 cars in the field, but I must admit, I skipped forward a couple of pages there in the middle.

I see those 2 months with Lewis winning all of the F1 races must've been painful for some.

God, I love those poorly covered outbursts of pain and hate.
:lol:

More of it, please.

#15 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:32

Of course it's not what he said.  "Different" is not 'more".

Different in this case is either "less" or "more". 

Are you saying he was trying to imply that he's less hungry? You can shut your eyes and think of different implications of that sentence, but I think it's pretty clear what he meant even if he didn't say it directly. 

And I don't even think it's mind games, just standard answers. 

#16 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:34

i rally hated that he brought up Nico's past to prove some point.I have been in the position Rosberg was in high school where I went to a national school where there were loads of underprivileged kids who looked down on me because I was from the city and was apparently 'pampered".I wont lie to you,it hurt.Because I was just as hungry to pass as they were and I worked  just as hard in my middle school to get to into the school.

I have sympathy for the troubles you went through.

But, I think you sort of prove Lewis's point. The hunger might be at the same level but it is different. There can be different motivations for privileged people to to do well, then there are for less privileged people.

#17 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:36

Well Lewis has said this season that he's always hungry now his dropped a few grams.

#18 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,262 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:40

I see those 2 months with Lewis winning all of the F1 races must've been painful for some.

God, I love those poorly covered outbursts of pain and hate.

More of it, please.

But why would you want it different? 

Oh sorry, you mean more. After reading this thread, I thought it had the same meaning. 

#19 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:41

Are you saying he was trying to imply that he's less hungry? You can shut your eyes and think of different implications of that sentence, but I think it's pretty clear what he meant even if he didn't say it directly. 

Even if that is what he meant (and I'm not saying it is), maybe he's right. Maybe he does have more hunger than Nico and maybe that is (at least partially) the reason why.

Advertisement

#20 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:41

I was starting to understand Lewis perspective but today I saw a pic of him and Nichole in Monaco and just laughed. 

#21 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:42

I never understood how one guy winning could bring so much bile, now I know how some vettel fans might have felt over the last 4 years.

#22 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:44

Even if that is what he meant (and I'm not saying it is), maybe he's right. Maybe he does have more hunger than Nico and maybe that is (at least partially) the reason why.

Agreed. Like I mentioned before, there's nothing wrong with what he said and I certainly don't get how it's a "mind game". It's just standard media bullshit hyping up a no big deal answer to create an eye-grabbing headline. 

Edited by Cyanide, 23 May 2014 - 15:45.

#23 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:14

I never understood how one guy winning could bring so much bile, now I know how some vettel fans might have felt over the last 4 years.

And its only been 4 races! :lol:

#24 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,328 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:19

Hamilton in poorly thought out and silly comment shocker!!!

More like normal service resumed.

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:28

Perhaps Lewis is saying that his background predisposes him to caring more about interior design whereas Nico Rosberg might be more interested in his outdoor leisure equipment.

#26 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:37

I think the mind games started when he kept saying "Nico was faster than me". BasicaLly saying that when I'm faster I win (obviously) and when you're faster I can still beat you. Very good back-handed compliment.

Edited by DainBramaged, 23 May 2014 - 16:37.

#27 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:39

First of all, I suggest you read the whole interview on formula1.com secondly different hunger is not hungrier lastly, hungriest is not a comparison between 2 people. So if you want to slate Lewis for his appetite, I suggest you slate him for slagging off the whole grid not just Nico or else you find something better to do with your time which I assume should be valuable. Maybe try cooking to sedate your hunger to put Lewis down

#28 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:43

OP, you do know that Lewis was not just handed race-winning cars by McLaren throughout the junior formulae? He actually had to win at every stage to progress toward F1

#29 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:44

Hamilton in poorly thought out and silly comment shocker!!!

More like normal service resumed.

Yeah but he is a WDC and all you are is just another keyboard on the web ask go figure. Hate him all you want, he is greater than you have ever been.

#30 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,328 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:53

Yeah but he is a WDC and all you are is just another keyboard on the web ask go figure. Hate him all you want, he is greater than you have ever been.

Im sure there are many people who like Hamilton but think he has a habit of making silly comments.....

Sadly there are as many people with an irrational desire to defend their heroes, whoever that may be. I dont tend to get to upset when one of them rears their head throwing insults like you just have.

Edited by Burtros, 23 May 2014 - 16:53.

#31 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:53

didn't Nico and Lewis used to share a room during junior years...?

#32 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 16:57

Why does this have a thread of it's own

#33 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 17:00

Please delete this thread. The title is a lie. Hamilton never said " I'm hungrier for success than Nico"

#34 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 17:13

What relationship?

#35 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 17:56

Well, Lewis did his apprenticeship along Alonso, the master of mindgames, so his comments are not exactly unexpected.

Oh, I just realized I invited the Alonso fans to this thread aswell. :)

#36 Siddley

Siddley

• 174 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:11

Lewis Hamilton is one of the few F1 drivers I keep an eye on, just because I personally think he's a very likeable bloke. I wouldn't call myself a fan - I don't really do the fan thing.

He does say some daft things from time to time but I'm not sure this is one of them. There's no doubt his upbringing will have given him motivations which are different to a guy who grew up in a very rich family, it's a simple statement of fact.

#37 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:15

Well, Lewis did his apprenticeship along Alonso, the master of mindgames, so his comments are not exactly unexpected.

Oh, I just realized I invited the Alonso fans to this thread aswell. :)

Yes, that was my thought as well! :cool:

#38 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:16

Ostensibly a silly comment. Isn't it strange though that these sorts of articles about Lewis only seem to come out after a sustained period of success...

#39 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:18

Look, we all know from time to time Lewis has a habbit of saying something that's going to be controversial and ruffle a few feathers. He wears his heart on his sleeve and no matter how old he gets he's always going to upset a few people. But the media play their part to twist and turn comments into something else. Even the Autosport website has Lewis saying something he didn't. And no the argument "that's pretty much what he was saying" doesn't hold water.

All I see is Lewis pumping himself up and slowly turning up the heat on Nico. Little comments all season long that Nico is faster than him yet he still wins races, how he should be winning more races like China with a gap to Nico and now this. Nothing but mind games and the media jumping on it and kicking up the flames.

If you don't like that sort of thing don't read it. There's nobody here starting a thread to praise these sorts of things, only bitter fans with nothing better to do that start yet more bashing threads. There's rarely any justification.

Advertisement

#40 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:19

Why we keep commenting every word this people, drivers, say? They should speak on the track, with the helmet on. Actually, their actions should speak for themselves. They use the press and therefore the fans as a megaphone for their egos. Stop quoting them, they are not Gandhi. They have barely nothing interesting to say. I can understand the press, they need to sell papers, but why so much discussion on such banal comments? Maybe we have nothing better to do. I'm posting here just to tell you that there are more interesting F1-related things to discuss.

Edited by 4MEN, 23 May 2014 - 18:26.

#41 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:20

Hamilton hungrier than Rosberg --> Hamilton eats more --> gains weight --> negative effect on lap times (especially this year) --> Rosberg WDC

#42 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:23

If he's hungry, why doesn't he just get something to eat?

Badumtish.

#43 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Hamilton hungrier than Rosberg --> Hamilton eats more --> gains weight --> negative effect on lap times (especially this year) --> Rosberg WDC

#44 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I thought he'd missed his breakfast.

#45 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:02

Everybody says: "I am tired of PR talks", "They are like robots now", bla, bla, bla...

As soon as Alonso, Hamilton or anyone say something out of the PR spectrum, we rush to the threads to be the first one to slap them mouthy drivers...

Tsk, tsk...

#46 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:09

I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I thought he'd missed his breakfast.

Team orders scandal! Mercedes catering staff give preferential treatment to Rosberg!  ;)

#47 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:10

Here is proof that Nico is hungrier:

d12cdn1641.jpg

#48 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:12

Everybody says: "I am tired of PR talks", "They are like robots now", bla, bla, bla...

As soon as Alonso, Hamilton or anyone say something out of the PR spectrum, we rush to the threads to be the first one to slap them mouthy drivers...

Tsk, tsk...

Yeah I wonder, what do people want the drivers to say. Especially as drivers themselves are not drawing up speeches, but they are asked questions by journos.

Hey... what about every driver has a 10-minute speech to talk about whatever they want instead of just answering questions.:D THis should force them to be at least a little bit creative and give more fun.:D

Edited by sopa, 23 May 2014 - 19:13.

#49 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:15

why...i mean if i say im different to someone else,it doesnt mean im saying im better or worse.im just saying im different.but when lewis sais it,he somehow means hungrier.

#50 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,034 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:32

Apart from being rude, how can you tell? Formula 1 wdc is not the ultimate achievement you know? Sports men come and go and will be forgotten but Innovators, scientist and genuine philanthropist are more likely to be remembered 1000 years from now.

Sorry OT.