Photo

1961 350 Manx Norton ex Joe Dunphy Terry Sparrow

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:35

Hi All, I'm trying to uncover some more history of my Manx Norton. I'm hoping that readers here might be able to help. The machine is a 1961 350cc Manx Norton that Joe Dunphy purchased from Joe Potts in 1962. Joe D is kindly helping piece together it's history up to 1969 when he sold it to Terry Sparrow. It appears that Terry Sparrow owned the Norton for around 35 years and returned home from Australia to the UK with the machine in about 2004. The bike was sold via a classic car dealer in Poole, Dorset in 2004. Would be great to find some photos of the bike when Terry Sparrow rode it. Can anyone help? Paul

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:50

Hi Paul, about 90 % certain that it's the same Manx Terry Rode in club and nationals in '71; I seem to remember it as pretty immaculately prepared. I think I might have a tiny pic of it somewhere. I'll have a butchers when I get home.

#3 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:04

Hi Russell, would be really interested to see the photo. Thanks for your interest! Paul

#4 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 14:03

Hi Russell, would be really interested to see the photo. Thanks for your interest! Paul

It's not in the shoe box I'm afraid, Paul.  The bike as I recall was fitted with the Fontana brake as per the auction bike, a short circuit alloy tank and, I think, a blue fairing.  I'm currently in limbo on the house front and have my stuff all over the place, it could then turn up once things are more settled.  Is Mr Sparrow still around ?

#5 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 16:28

In case you've not clocked this shot of Joe on your bike at Salzburg, '67.

00373.jpg

#6 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 18:06

What a fantastic photograph! And no I havnt seen this before. Apparently the Fontana front brake was fitted while Joe owned the Norton and he sold the bike to Terry Sparrow in 1969. I wish I knew more about Terry Sparrow, I have no idea if he is still around. All I know is that he may have been in Australia with the bike for a time and possibly moved back to the UK with it circa 2004. Thanks for the photo Russell! Very interesting!

Edited by OldNorton, 01 June 2014 - 21:42.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 18:36

What a fantastic photograph! And no I havnt seen this before. Apparently the Fontana front brake was fitted while Joe owned the Norton and he sold the bike to Terry Sparrow in 1969. I wish I knew more about Terry Sparrow, I have no idea if he is still around. All I know is that he may have been in Australia with the bike for a time and possibly moved back to the UK with it circa 2004. Thanks for photo photo Russell! Very interesting!

You're welcome , Paul.  Same venue a year earlier in its earlier guise, which is how I most easily recall Joe's bikes when raced by him.  I too know next to nothing about TS  I'm afraid.  I was in more than a few races with him in 1971 when I was a kid and I think he was a fair bit older.  He must have been because I remember seeing his name in an old Crystal Palace programme from the mid sixties when racing a Greeves.  I haven't got access to my stuff at present but I seem to recall he was from Beckenham.  The old briain cells are warming up and telling me the fairing was silver rather than blue in the early seventies.  I remember too once riding around him at Druids, the first time I had ever managed that and then feeling quite pleased with myself.

0000371279.jpg

Edited by Russell Burrows, 01 June 2014 - 19:49.

#8 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:33

Russell, the first early colour photo of Joe and his Norton that I've seen. Another fantastic picture! I can't get enough of this!! What machine did you race in the early 70's? I'm hoping to take the Norton to Brands in July for a few Parade Laps with the CRMC......

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:15

0033.jpg

Some gremlins in the system recently.....  Joe gassing the 350 out of Mallory's hairpin, '67.  This is one of the many excellent shots from Classicpic.  I bought an old but very lovely 7R from Geoff Monty back then, Paul. 

17RBrands-1.jpg

Edited by Russell Burrows, 03 June 2014 - 07:28.

#10 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:32

That's a nice photo of Joe and the Manx! The bike is still fitted with that lightened rear brake plate torque arm. I like the 7R, great photo Russell! A really sunny, hot day by the looks of it.
I found this:
http://davestestsand...tch14101972.pdf

Just as you said, TS was in Beckenham!

I'm going to try and find the classicpic website, thanks for this.

#11 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:54

Lots of names I recall there, especially the three fifty runners.  Sadly, I was back in the colonies by then.  Thanks for putting it up.  John, aka Classicpic, is on the forum, Paul.  

#12 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:45

Paul:

Mallory Park Clubmans Meetings

23rd August 1970

25th June 1972

Terrance Sparrow -  Beckenham  350 Norton

He wasn't in the results for his heat at these meetings.

That's all I can find on him.

Russell:

William (Bill) Gidman - Rugby/Brackley - rode a few club meetings at Mallory during this period on a Mac 7R.

Was this Bob Mac's bike I wonder?

#13 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:56

Hi John, thanks again for searching your archive! I will add these Terry Sparrow references to the bikes history file. Maybe Russell was in these races at Mallory?

Once I've worked out how to upload photos here I will post some photos of the Manx.

Regards,

Paul

#14 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 17:52

Paul:

Mallory Park Clubmans Meetings

23rd August 1970

25th June 1972

Terrance Sparrow -  Beckenham  350 Norton

He wasn't in the results for his heat at these meetings.

That's all I can find on him.

Russell:

William (Bill) Gidman - Rugby/Brackley - rode a few club meetings at Mallory during this period on a Mac 7R.

Was this Bob Mac's bike I wonder?

I'm reasonably certain, John, that Bill had his hands on an example of the McIntyre framed 7R/G50.  I think this came up on here a while back in the context of claims made by Ginger Molloy about the authenticity of Mick Hemming's bike.  I can't seem to find it though.  Perhaps it wasnt on here after all?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 June 2014 - 17:53.

#15 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 17:56

Hi John, thanks again for searching your archive! I will add these Terry Sparrow references to the bikes history file. Maybe Russell was in these races at Mallory?

Once I've worked out how to upload photos here I will post some photos of the Manx.

Regards,

Paul

No, Paul, in OZ during both years.  I was racing though.  I badly wanted to come back here and race again but things went pear shaped in a big way.

#16 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 19:08

That's programmes is a gem, Old Norton.

Stephen Parrish on a Triton would you believe!

#17 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:45

No, Paul, in OZ during both years. I was racing though. I badly wanted to come back here and race again but things went pear shaped in a big way.

Terry Sparrow also went to OZ although I do not know exactly when. I believe he took the Norton with him and raced it. Maybe you were in a race with him there!?

#18 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:50

That's programmes is a gem, Old Norton.
Stephen Parrish on a Triton would you believe!

Hi Knickerbrook, thanks for your interest! I'm glad you like the programme. I stumbled across it when searching for info on Terrence Sparrow on Google. I hadn't seen Steve Parrish there till you said. There must be some photos out there of this race somewhere.......

#19 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 22:14

Terry Sparrow also went to OZ although I do not know exactly when. I believe he took the Norton with him and raced it. Maybe you were in a race with him there!?

I don't recall him in my part of the world (NSW) in the late sixties/early seventies and suspect he arrived some time after myself.  Although I was there until 1985, I drifted away from bikes for years, so he could well have been chucking the old Manx around in the blazing sun.  I wonder if his ears have been burning of late.

Advertisement

#20 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 15:10

Haha yes his ears could be burning Russell :) Thanks again for your input! Is there an easy way to post photos here? It doesn't seem straight forward to me?

#21 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 16:12

Hi Paul, a hosting site is needed - Photobucket is free and straightforward. Once set up it's easy to eiher drag pics from anywhere into the upload box and then to save them in your library, or to scan your own photos and do the same.  Once the photos are on the the hosting site and you want to post them here, just copy the img code from the box that appers alongside or near the photo.  Once back on here, click paste wherever you want to place the image.  

#22 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:47

FD8712F7-0C8F-41C6-A920-ADB8C96CC812_zps

#23 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:51

Hi Paul, a hosting site is needed - Photobucket is free and straightforward. Once set up it's easy to eiher drag pics from anywhere into the upload box and then to save them in your library, or to scan your own photos and do the same. Once the photos are on the the hosting site and you want to post them here, just copy the img code from the box that appers alongside or near the photo. Once back on here, click paste wherever you want to place the image.

Perfect instructions! Learnt something new today! Many thanks Russell. I've posted a Photo of the bike as it is now.

#24 rps930

rps930

• 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:08

Hi Paul,

I remember this bike on sale in a car dealers in Parkstone, Poole,. The plated swinging arm gives it away, the dealers are still there so might be worth a ring to see if they have any details on their books.

http://www.blackandw...bournemouth.asp

HTH

Phil

#25 OldNorton

OldNorton

• 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:49

Hi Phil,

I have already spoken to the garage and they remember selling the Manx to Hugh (previous owner before me). They also remember selling it on behalf of Terry Sparrow who they recall moved back to the UK from Australia. The guy at the garage apparently rode it briefly before selling it. Did you see it online or in a magazine? Thanks for your interest! Paul

#26 rps930

rps930

• 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 15:15

No, I was working in the area and used to go past the showroom most days so to see a manx in the window was most surprising, I actually went in an enquired as to the price but in my opinion was to high at that time so passed on it.

Phil

#27 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:54

FD8712F7-0C8F-41C6-A920-ADB8C96CC812_zps

A brilliant provenance and largely unrestored, lovely.  Thanks for putting it up, Paul.