* - - - - 2 votes

Hamilton to McLaren Honda in 2015?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:19

We know McLaren and Honda will want a 'star' driver, and Ron knows as well as anyone that the best time to approach Lewis is when he feels he isn't getting the full support he desires.

If Ron offered him a contract staying he was a fully supported 'number one' driver, I'm sure Lewis would love to drive a McLaren Honda like his hero Ayrton once did...

Perfect time for a McLaren coup I feel...

Advertisement

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:20

Also, Mercedes might not argue against it too much if Alonso was wanting a drive...

#3 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:20

He probably is driving arguably the best car in F1 history and McLaren isn't exactly doing well these days (both on and off the track). Very little incentive to move, unless he's being given a sneak peek at Honda's facilities and progress.

#4 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,557 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:21

Except for that fact of McLaren have a hard time making a winning chassis these days...

Then again, one could have said this in 1987 as well before Honda joined them in 1988....

Edited by George Costanza, 25 May 2014 - 17:22.

#5 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,578 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:21

We know McLaren and Honda will want a 'star' driver, and Ron knows as well as anyone that the best time to approach Lewis is when he feels he isn't getting the full support he desires.

If Ron offered him a contract staying he was a fully supported 'number one' driver, I'm sure Lewis would love to drive a McLaren Honda like his hero Ayrton once did...

Perfect time for a McLaren coup I feel...

Hamilton is not going to give up the best car because he feels he is not getting the support he deserves.

McLaren might get Alonso yes, but not Hamilton.

#6 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:22

:lol: Absolutely not.  Why would Lewis move back at the moment, look at the current performance from McLaren.  Honda may not produce a good enough PU for 2015.  Current Lewis and Nico are in the best seats in F1.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:29

So he jumped to a struggling team for the challenge in order to dump them the minute they get super dominant for another struggling team?

If he likes slow cars can't he just sign for Caterham then?

#8 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:32

No way. Merc will announce his contract extension soon in the hope that it settles things down a little.

#9 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:32

Regardless of the car or perfomance - Lewis burned his bridge at Macca - that will never happen .

#10 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:33

He will return to McLaren anyway...maybe not in 2015. but surely in the future...

He´ll finish where he started that´s for sure.

#11 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Regardless of the car or perfomance - Lewis burned his bridge at Macca - that will never happen .

Other way round

#12 pdac

pdac

• 17,312 posts

Lewis feels that by now he should have more than one WDC and he's hungry for more. Right now he's going to want to be in the team that can deliver him a championship-winning car. In 2015 I don't see that being McLaren

#13 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:39

Other way round

As always, not his fault, maybe it was a problem of both sides, but I know not a possibility for you  :eek:

#14 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:41

Come on guys

Bit of a mass overreaction to suggest Lewis will want to go elsewhere based on 1 troublesome weekend.

#15 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:42

If he was going to go anywhere, I'd love it be Ferrari.  

#16 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:44

Eh?  Don't think so, Ron loves him - and Whitmarsh is gone.

#17 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:44

Riding on the rollercoaster much?

Hamilton isn't going anywhere just because he references McLaren in one interview. He has the best car in the field and it's likely to stay that way for a few more years. Choosing an uncertain McLaren with a new engine manufacturer over a stable and strong seat at Mercedes? That's a brain fart and I don't think Lewis suffers with that symptom. 

#18 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:45

No chance.

McLaren is finished at the top just like Williams is :cool:

#19 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:46

Come on guys

Bit of a mass overreaction to suggest Lewis will want to go elsewhere based on 1 troublesome weekend.

And despite his troublesome weekend, he came second 

Advertisement

#20 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:49

No. You think one minor glitch is gonna make him leave? Really? Leave this car now, this team now, to go back to the joke that McLaren has become without him there? Thats a stretch. Maybe after he's won a couple more Wdcs he'd think about it, especially if Mercs form dips and McLaren rises again, but to go back there, with all the old baggage, the sponsor commitments... :rolleyes:

#21 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:51

Come on guys

Well, overreaction is perhaps true. However, no one with an iota of commonsense thought it was logical to leave a very competitive McLaren in 2012. Even when the team was screwing up as much as they were. Who knows... though i think it is quite unlikely, as yet.

As always, not his fault, maybe it was a problem of both sides, but I know not a possibility for you  :eek:

Hamilton's never wrong. He's Hamilton. :rolleyes:

#22 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:09

No chance.

McLaren is finished at the top just like Williams is :cool:

You probably thought the same back in 2002-03-04, 2006, :drunk: :blush:  People will never learn... :rolleyes:  McLaren could have a few bad seasons but they always come back and win championships or create good car to fight for it...but yeah, it seems that McLaren-Williams comparison never gets old...

#23 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:12

I think I can predict where this thread is gonna go and it's not going to be pretty.

On topic, I can't see him ever going back

#24 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:13

silly thread

#25 hdsport82

hdsport82

• 76 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:16

No. You think one minor glitch is gonna make him leave? 

I don't know how many people would have expected Alonso to leave McLaren after Monaco 2007 despite what happened in that race after the final stops. However we know how his relationship with Lewis and the team went downhill afterwards and it seems that Lewis' relationship with Nico is far worse than that Lewis/Fernando's was at the same stage in that season.  He is also starting to doubt his treatment by the team.

By no means do I think it's certain (or even likely) to happen but Nico has the new deal and is the settled team member (as Lewis was at McLaren with his long association) and if this goes downhill (and Nico wins the title) Lewis might feel he has little choice but to move again.

If we are going for some proper silly speculation what about some proper musical chairs between Fernando (to Merc),  Seb (with Newey to Ferrari) and Lewis (to Red Bull) :p  I might put a pound on that if the odds were long enough!!

Edited by hdsport82, 25 May 2014 - 18:18.

#26 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:18

Well, overreaction is perhaps true. However, no one with an iota of commonsense thought it was logical to leave a very competitive McLaren in 2012. Even when the team was screwing up as much as they were. Who knows... though i think it is quite unlikely, as yet.

Before this weekend, Lewis and Mercedes were getting on swimmingly. Eddie Jordan and other insiders have noted their relationship is very strong.

I do not think one weekend will change that. Brawn even laughed and had a chuckle at Lewis's ways last year, when questioned about Lewis's tone over race radio. In retrospect, you could see him leaving McLaren a mile off.

#27 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:22

Eh?  Don't think so, Ron loves him - and Whitmarsh is gone.

It was well known that the two had fallen out ..    

#28 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:26

No way. Merc will announce his contract extension soon in the hope that it settles things down a little.

Uncle Mav, are you feeling prophetical today....

Or you just hiding your infos, like you always do :(

#29 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:26

I don't know how many people would have expected Alonso to leave McLaren after Monaco 2007 despite what happened in that race after the final stops. However we know how his relationship with Lewis and the team went downhill afterwards and it seems that Lewis' relationship with Nico is far worse than that Lewis/Fernando's was at the same stage in that season.  He is also starting to doubt his treatment by the team.

By no means do I think it's certain (or even likely) to happen but Nico has the new deal and is the settled team member (as Lewis was at McLaren with his long association) and if this goes downhill (and Nico wins the title) Lewis might feel he has little choice but to move again.

If we are going for some proper silly speculation what about some proper musical chairs between Fernando (to Merc),  Seb (with Newey to Ferrari) and Lewis (to Red Bull) :p  I might put a pound on that if the odds were long enough!!

First off, Nico is only contracted for one more year. What makes you think he would be the one to stay? It is more likely that Lewis has the more "iron clad" contract of the two given his higher status.

#30 hdsport82

hdsport82

• 76 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:35

I on

First off, Nico is only contracted for one more year. What makes you think he would be the one to stay? It is more likely that Lewis has the more "iron clad" contract of the two given his higher status.

As I said Nico is the more settled team member the contract (for whatever contracts are actually worth) being further evidence of that.  He's been there longer just as Lewis (in terms of growing up in the team) had been at McLaren in '07.

I said I don't think its certain or even likely to happen and I would love to see Lewis v Fernando in the same team again but if the relationship breaks down to the extent one of them has to leave I think Lewis is the more likely to go.  

I'm sure though if he wins the title his problems with Nico would evaporate pretty quickly!

Edited by hdsport82, 25 May 2014 - 18:35.

#31 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:48

Before this weekend, Lewis and Mercedes were getting on swimmingly. Eddie Jordan and other insiders have noted their relationship is very strong.

I do not think one weekend will change that. Brawn even laughed and had a chuckle at Lewis's ways last year, when questioned about Lewis's tone over race radio. In retrospect, you could see him leaving McLaren a mile off.

To be honest, i didn't.edit: To qualify, Ferrari and RBR at the time had quite publicly said no, and there weren't many other competitive drives available. I didn't think that it made any sense. Recently Hamilton's hinted at a few things (knowing some things beforehand, but couldn't mention publicly), which would have helped me change my mind. However, knowing the variables which were public at the time, it didn't seem that it was a good move.

I agree that Hamilton was planning a switch. He did have a chat with Horner and also approached Ferrari... He may still do, but now he has XIX do his dirty work for him, no?

Edited by garagetinkerer, 25 May 2014 - 18:50.

#32 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 19:20

Lewis is the best-placed driver in F1 at the moment and he knows it.

#33 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 00:49

Not according to this: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114138

If you have no access here's the short version: Hamilton disobeyed team instructions in Spain. He didn't turn the engine down, when instructed to do so. That ensured he won the race there.Hamilton was forced to apologize to the team.

So if at some stage that particular engine breaks down, lets not blame Mercedes. And if the realtionship with Mercedes breaks apart, well there are reasons.

#34 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 00:59

Not according to this: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114138

If you have no access here's the short version: Hamilton disobeyed team instructions in Spain. He didn't turn the engine down, when instructed to do so. That ensured he won the race there.Hamilton was forced to apologize to the team.

So if at some stage that particular engine breaks down, lets not blame Mercedes. And if the realtionship with Mercedes breaks apart, well there are reasons.

So did Rosberg in Bahrain... and Rosberg just signed an extension!  :drunk:

#35 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:05

Wiggy plz

#36 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:10

Hamilton comes second, off the back of 4 wins in a row, and people are talking about him leaving for the all conquering McLaren? This forum plunges to new, unknown depths.

#37 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:12

Hamilton comes second, off the back of 4 wins in a row, and people are talking about him leaving for the all conquering McLaren? This forum plunges to new, unknown depths.

Wiggy's in a bad run (of threads) at the moment.

#38 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:18

Lewis won't go back he made his decision.

And Mclaren shouldn't take him back in any case - if their car is good enough to get Lewis back it's good enough to get anyone on the grid. 

#39 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:13

He hated the stiffling atmosphere of McLaren and enjoys MGP freedom. How do people ever draw up such nonsense. ZERO chance. Not even worth a thread IMO. Its a team in disarray. No type driver on their game should go there - no Fernando, no Nico, no Hamilton, no Riccardo..

Advertisement

#40 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:22

If he's going to leave Merc, it'd have to be something much better than what happened this weekend (a yellow flag).  It would have to be major fireworks.  And even then, he might be smart enough to stay, because to leave Merc for any other team would be silly.

#41 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:59

I disagree! We've hit these lows many times

#42 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:38

Wiggy thread  :stoned:

#43 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:07

Really mate? The suggestion that he will leave for Mercedes did seem ridiculous at the time given how good McLaren's car was that year. So discussing something is equal to forum hitting lows. I have had my fair share of whinges and i have complained, but i don't think this thread merited panning as you are meting it. You have a differing opinion, present it.

#44 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:12

If Hamilton wins the next race everything will be fine again. The only way Hamilton will leave is if they screw him big time.

Edited by kosmos, 26 May 2014 - 04:12.

#45 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:22

It depends on how the cards fall with the inter team relationship with Rosberg this year.

Despite basically dominating him, Hamilton is slowly becoming a basket case. It's like he is desperate for limelight Kanye style, and so obsessed with becoming Senna that he is falling down this negative path of team animosity and distrust.

He knows that Rosberg is the national driver, embraced by the country and team, and ticks all of the requirements from a Merc HQ and marketing and fan perspective. 

Yet he creates this **** storm and undermines his own future, basically out of nothing?

The answer to this topic is, that if he continues down this path, of doing his talking OFF the track, and attacking and undermining the first team in F1 to really give him the car he wants, he will not be choosing his own destiny in F1 and may end up a shelved champion like Alonso (at McLaren, or wherever).

#46 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:29

Come on doubters. Hamilton is a better driver than Nico. He will prove that in coming races. He just needs to stay mentally strong. Period.

#47 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:46

All this talk of Lewis would never want to move.

What's to stop them replacing him with Vettel if Hamilton continues his infighting towards the team?

The national team gets Schumi 2.0 and an all German line up on a silver platter, and blocks Ferrari from using Vettel's services down the track.

#48 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:00

If Hamilton wins the next race everything will be fine again. The only way Hamilton will leave is if they screw him big time.

Given the propensity for Lewis to bitch on the radio and make somewhat odd and emotional press I don't discount him blowing up Monaco 2014 into being a case of Mercedes GP screwing him like Fernando did at McLaren in 2008. The change of guard at McLaren could easily guide Lewis quickly back to the team he used to feel so comfortable with. The negative to it will only be seen if his comments become more cheerful and supportive of the team who have given him 4 wins already this year.

#49 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:13

Given the propensity for Lewis to bitch on the radio and make somewhat odd and emotional press I don't discount him blowing up Monaco 2014 into being a case of Mercedes GP screwing him like Fernando did at McLaren in 2008. The change of guard at McLaren could easily guide Lewis quickly back to the team he used to feel so comfortable with. The negative to it will only be seen if his comments become more cheerful and supportive of the team who have given him 4 wins already this year.

He did praise the McLaren pit process with two strategists, one devoted to each driver... I mean, come on. Worse still is the fact that a lot of his fans complained how shoddy work cost him over a hundred points or so, and yet, not one has called out shens on this.

On the other hand, it may just be fighting words to get team to be more on his side, than a balance...

#50 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:48

"screwing him like Fernando did at McLaren in 2008"

2007?