* * * * - 4 votes

Time for Max Chilton to be replaced?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 14:35

Since he has entered F1 he has never made a competitive overtake, he does nothing but drives around alot slower than he more talented teammate, i know he brings the money but i want him to be replaced for next year, we have always had pay drivers in F1 i know that but this kid is not a F1 driver.

The amount of talent we have waiting to burst through but the money has stopped them from coming, i know this will always be the case but i hate F1 for it, i want to see drivers like Jules who went all out yesterday not just there to keep up a finishing record.

Edited by FastnLoud, 26 May 2014 - 14:40.

Advertisement

#2 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 14:38

Agreed. I find it funny that the media constantly feels that they need to remind us that he's finished every F1 race he's started.

But when Max's dad is a shareholder in the team, and in fact actually shut down another race team he owned (making quite a few people redundant) just to fund Max in F1...well, there's more chance in hell freezing over than him being replaced, unfortunately.

#3 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 14:48

Well, the team just scored some points and if it takes the the Chilton money to keep them going, then I don't see there's a problem. The fact that small teams need to seek pay drivers is another topic.

#4 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 14:55

No. He brings much needed money and always brings his car home making it possible for Bianchi to hunt for points. In essence he does his part excelently

#5 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 15:22

can't believe people actually justifying his place in F1.

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:02

Strange how Chilton never received much criticism before he had a minor altercation with Raikkonen.

He's not the fastest driver Marussia could of chosen, but he is reliable and has been able to beat his team mate and the Caterham pairing on occasion, and I would definitely put him above many of the no-hopes other backmarker teams have employed. It isn't ideal to have pay drivers, but that's simply a fact of life in F1.

#7 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:35

can't believe people actually justifying his place in F1.

He justifies his place not because of his driving ability so much as the money he brings. That's modern F1, of which he is a part.

#8 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:39

I think Ericsson is far far worse than Chilton, but then again he only took out Massa not Raikkonen, so I guess that's not as bad

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:44

:well:   Chilton, who I agree is not particularly good, has been showing us that Bianchi isn't any great prospect for the future either.  Yet Bianchi lucks into a couple of points at Monaco after half the rest of the grid eliminates themselves and all of a sudden the knives are out.

#10 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:45

From a KR fan...**** happens, plain and simple. His clash with Kimi does not make me think he should be out of F1, he does not make contact with others on a race by race basis. He brings in money AND he brings the car home, unlike say Pastor Maldonado.

Edited by MikeV1987, 26 May 2014 - 17:03.

#11 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,297 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:49

I dunno, to be honest. He's solid, but given his performances last season I don't think he's on the grid on merit. Though I suspect this thread has more to do with the fact that he had an accident with Raikkonen, who himself, by the way, hasn't done much this season apart from driver around alot slower than his apparently more talented teammate. Usually Chilton's a safe pair of hands, this weekend (and Monaco last year actually) were seriously out of character for him.

#12 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:52

Here we go, Raikkonen fans are angry

#13 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:54

:well:   Chilton, who I agree is not particularly good, has been showing us that Bianchi isn't any great prospect for the future either.  Yet Bianchi lucks into a couple of points at Monaco after half the rest of the grid eliminates themselves and all of a sudden the knives are out.

The irony. You were the one who "all of a sudden" asked me to eat my words about Chilton not deserving to be on the grid, after he for the first time in ages managed to outqualify Bianchi in Spain.

#14 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:55

Who?

#15 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 215 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:58

he brings the car home, unlike say Pastor Maldonado.

i think pastor was already home on the formation lap lol

but anyway bianchi did well with good luck but kobyashi was in 12th until sc so i think koba could have got points.

bianci in 2012 looked way better than chilton but i also think that chilton was just slow then(way off bianci) but now chilton is a lot closer to him showing that bianchi is not the next alonso. at least now people will rember bianchi got the teams points so chilton finishing record can be totaly ignored now

#16 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:59

same as Alonso fans with grosjean 2 years ago I guess..

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:01

Never understood the dislike he gets around here. He does a solid job for the team.

#18 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:11

Personally, I would rather have Chilton in F1 than Maldonado but I wouldn't complain if Chilton was gone from F1 because there are better drivers out there.

I would also like to add that I still think Bianchi is a very talented prospect. He just hasn't had the luck of others who have had a more capable car to show what they can do and more proven teammates to show how they compare.

#19 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:44

I'm not a fan of Kimi at all , but I would be very annoyed if he was. How did he manage to hit him behind the safety car ? And thee worst thing is he should have been passed the train at that point unlapping himself like everyone else was..

Advertisement

#20 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,297 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:44

Personally, I would rather have Chilton in F1 than Maldonado but I wouldn't complain if Chilton was gone from F1 because there are better drivers out there.

OT, but I can't hep but feel this is archetypal of the kind of flack Maldonado gets that he doesn't deserve. Why on earth do you think Chilton is better than Maldonado? He crashes far too much, but come on, Maldonado's a GP winner who showed some real talent during 2012. What has Chilton got?

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:50

The irony. You were the one who "all of a sudden" asked me to eat my words about Chilton not deserving to be on the grid, after he for the first time in ages managed to outqualify Bianchi in Spain.

True, but I thought people had finally realised that there wasn't much to choose between the two and that Bianchi wasn't all that.  Unfortunately, one lucky race and you're all back to square one again - Bianchi is the next coming of Senna or something whilst Chilton is the next coming of Yoong.  Whereas both are just the second coming of Pier-Luigi Martini.

#22 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:57

OT, but I can't hep but feel this is archetypal of the kind of flack Maldonado gets that he doesn't deserve. Why on earth do you think Chilton is better than Maldonado? He crashes far too much, but come on, Maldonado's a GP winner who showed some real talent during 2012. What has Chilton got?

I never said Chilton was better, I said I would rather have him in F1. The reason being their attitudes and intelligence. Maldonado is far more likely imo to ruin somebody else's race or even cause them injury. If there have to be pay drivers, I would rather someone slow but safe in the sport than someone fast but dangerous. That's just my personal preference though.

Edited by bub, 26 May 2014 - 17:59.

#23 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:58

Maldonado's GP win hardly justifies his spot on the grid tbh, at least Chilton has improved since he came into F1.

#24 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,345 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 18:34

The Raikkonen incident is the only thing he has done to cause anyone any harm in over a season. That's pretty good going for someone almost universally agreed should not be in F1 on pure talent.

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 18:38

There's "not among the 22 quickest drivers in the world" and then there's "what would happen if the average forummer got into an F1 car". In rage we identify ourselves too readily with the Chiltons of this world.

Edited by Risil, 26 May 2014 - 18:38.

#26 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 19:38

Maldanado's F1 career should have ended with Spa 2011. It's hard to imagine I'll ever hold him in higher regard than Max.

#27 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 19:45

Personally i thinks its a sad indictment that drivers are employed purely for financial reasons but it is what it is, plenty of talent out there but i doubt if we'll get to see it

#28 surbjits

surbjits

• 943 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 20:40

:up:

#29 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 20:56

One great race from Bianchi and suddenly we all forget it's actually been quite close between the two this year, and Max needs to go? It was 3-0 to Max after the first 3 races.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he should be in F1, but lets not get carried away.

#30 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:08

Chiltern isn't fast enough to be in F1 long term.

He brings the car home, pays his money and never disgraces himself but he's just slow (although not shamefully slow).

I think it would be a really bad sign for F1 if he gets a 3rd season.

#31 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:21

I dunno, to be honest. He's solid, but given his performances last season I don't think he's on the grid on merit. Though I suspect this thread has more to do with the fact that he had an accident with Raikkonen, who himself, by the way, hasn't done much this season apart from driver around alot slower than his apparently more talented teammate. Usually Chilton's a safe pair of hands, this weekend (and Monaco last year actually) were seriously out of character for him.

Totally agree. Chilton isn't blowing me away but neither are a lot of drivers this season - Kimi for one. If we were to get rid of every disappointing driver on the grid there would only be about eight of them left.

#32 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:27

Poeple go on about Maldonado, but please remember Vittorio Brambilla won an F1 race, he as just as bad.

Lots of guys out there have won races that werent necessarily top drawer, Jochen Mass, Olivier Panis, Jabouille, I rate Pastor in this category, he drove perfectly to win that pone race, but has shown chuff all since!

As for Chilton, give the guy a beak people are having a pop coz he is useless, think of the benefit to the team, he nevers throws it away, he is not hopelessly slow!  They will love him coz he is not a typical South American clown who is wreckless!

A Belmondo, Deletraz or Lavaggi hs certainly is not!

#33 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:57

I'm not a fan of Kimi at all , but I would be very annoyed if he was. How did he manage to hit him behind the safety car ? And thee worst thing is he should have been passed the train at that point unlapping himself like everyone else was..

Ask Seb. He managed to hit his own team-mate, while under the control of the SC. Maybe it is a sign of future greatness.

#34 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:58

Poeple go on about Maldonado, but please remember Vittorio Brambilla won an F1 race, he as just as bad.

Lots of guys out there have won races that werent necessarily top drawer, Jochen Mass, Olivier Panis, Jabouille, I rate Pastor in this category, he drove perfectly to win that pone race, but has shown chuff all since!

As for Chilton, give the guy a beak people are having a pop coz he is useless, think of the benefit to the team, he nevers throws it away, he is not hopelessly slow!  They will love him coz he is not a typical South American clown who is wreckless!

A Belmondo, Deletraz or Lavaggi hs certainly is not!

Pastor is just plain dangerous, i don't like pay drivers but as long as they do the job and don't endanger others drivers fair enough but Maldanado is a danger on the track and a danger to those around him, if it wasn't for the money he would have been banned for life after he maimed a trackside worker

#35 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:30

I think people should be a little bit nicer to pay drivers tbh, it's worth remembering that Nikki Lauda bought his way into F1.  I don't think Chilton isn't that good but he could develop into a good driver given the time.

#36 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:36

I think people should be a little bit nicer to pay drivers tbh, it's worth remembering that Nikki Lauda bought his way into F1. I don't think Chilton isn't that good but he could develop into a good driver given the time.

I doubt most people have a problem with pay drivers, as long as they are at a reasonable level.

I also don't see most people on here being nasty to Max... he drives responsibly, he's professional, he never embarresses himself, but realistically he's not quick enough and it would be sad for the sport if he lasts past this year.

#37 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:38

What and end the streak :lol: you cruel person :lol:

#38 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:45

I don't care what anyone says, you'll never find anyone better at the two-legged F1 car dismount when the red ERS light is on - Im not clever enough to know how to imbed a humorous picture for reference.

Seriously though, I don't know why he's still there.....well i do....his dad. Its probably more complicated than 'how good he is'. Do Marussia find a slightly faster driver, but probably take in less money. Even the fastest driver couldn't drag that car into the points (Monaco was a nice fluke - they did great and all, but an unusual amount of retirements helped), so they are probably better off taking the money and hope Jules can get the best from the car. 

Oops, i've gone from wondering why the heck he is there, to probably understanding the main reasons. I should maybe think more often :D

#39 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:46

No, the time for him to be replaced was the end of last season.

Advertisement

#40 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:51

Prior to Monaco Max actually had the teams two highest finishes, he was to thank for them being ahead of Caterham.

I think he's doing a fine job. He does have his off weeks but he's reliable as a whole and sometimes not that far off Bianchi.

#41 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:51

1) How do you make competitive overtakes in the slowest car?

2) If he was overtaking people, odds are it would ignored by the TV cameras anyways.

And he's really not quite as awful as people think. He's better than your average backmarker pay driver of days past, at least.

#42 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:11

Like I said in another thread, these things happen in racing (Max hitting Kimi), but regardless of this race, yes he should have been replaced already this season. He doesn't belong in F1, just like Maldonado doesn't either.

#43 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,306 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:23

Chilton is in F1 thanks to money. There is a place for people like him sadly.

However, I would not be happy taking part on something where my money instead of skills were my merit, and even more so if combined with that I lacked the ability to hold my own with those I was supposed to be competing with.

I would also like to add that I still think Bianchi is a very talented prospect. He just hasn't had the luck of others who have had a more capable car to show what they can do and more proven teammates to show how they compare.

You'd rather watch somoene obviously out of their depth like Chilton than a race winner like Maldonado?

The door is over there. Close it on the way out please.

Edited by Burtros, 27 May 2014 - 10:24.

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:54

Good thing Max is 3-3 with Jules in qualy this year. Heaven knows what you'd be saying if he was really slow.

#45 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:58

I don't know why everyone is jumping on his back; he's having a decent season and has clearly learned from last year. Speed-wise he is comparing very favourably to Jules this year. 

He brings the car home (repair bills are not something a team like Marussia needs) and obviously his overtaking stats are low, but I doubt Bianchi is far ahead. 

For a 'pay driver' I think he is perfect for Marussia - OK never a future WDC, but he's helping the team pay their bills and puts in respectable if not mindblowing performances. 

#46 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:16

Good thing Max is 3-3 with Jules in qualy this year. Heaven knows what you'd be saying if he was really slow.

It's 4-2 for Jules. But granted, that's already the same amount of qualies Chilton won last year, so that's an improvement.

#47 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:39

The problem isn't blokes like Chilton who keep backmarker teams afloat with their funds.

The problem is when these guys or other limited drivers start getting seats in midfield teams i.e. Maldonado, Sutil etc.

I expect in the next season or two we will see Ericsson, Maldonado, Sutil, Vergne, Gutierrez all leave the sport. Quite possibly Kobi and the Marussia lads as well. 

#48 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:40

Not at the moment.

He had a poor weekend in Monaco and generally toils behind his quicker teammate but I think he has improved and I don't see the value in replacing him. In normal circumstances, they'll be at the back of the grid anyway, almost regardless of who is in the car. I'm not sure what his feedback is like but the team always speak highly of him and if he brings substantial funds, I don't really see why they would replace him.

As for him belonging or not belonging in F1, you could make that argument for many. Ultimately, its up to the teams to make that decision.

#49 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 132 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:47

Is Max in F1 based on his driving talent alone? Heck no he isn't and we all know why.

However its not as if pay drivers are a new thing in F1 and if you want to see a calibre of drivers far worse than Chilton could ever strive to be, look at the early-mid 90's F1 grids.

If Marussia's future is dependant on him driving for the team then there's no other option really but to have him there. As ever British TV coverage tries to make him appear far better than he is but I don't think he is as bad as some people here make out.

#50 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,573 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:49

There have been a lot of worse drivers in F1. He brings a crap car home, brings money for the team and up until Monaco has kept his nose clean. Seems a nice guy from the little interviews I've seen of him. He's not so bad that he is putting drivers lives at risk, is just a bit slow. Lay off him I say.