Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

FIA WEC 2014. Round 3. The 24 Hours of Le Mans. June 14-15.

• Please log in to reply
1163 replies to this topic

#1151 Imateria

Imateria

• 395 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 14:10

Only in width. Prototypes have always seemed much smaller than GT's as they're so low.

Advertisement

#1152 Option1

Option1

• 13,359 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 14:39

I was hoping to see the least of the Delta-Wing ZEOD. Fortunately, it didn't last at all. ..

Adjusted your post just a little. ;)

But don't worry, sadly I'm sure the stupid thing will be back again next year as the future of tricycles not fast enough to fit in a real racing category.

Neil

#1153 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 14:45

Adjusted your post just a little.  ;)

But don't worry, sadly I'm sure the stupid thing will be back again next year as the future of tricycles not fast enough to fit in a real racing category.

Neil

TBH I've just heard so much about the damn thing and still haven't seen it having a proper race so I'm just curious about it.

#1154 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,089 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 15:47

So there I am, 12.5 hours in, chilling in Panorama grandstand with only shorts and a shirt, reeling from the England game and trying to deal with the tiredness after already managing 36 hours awake (coaches are bitches to sleep on).

In my mind I am hoping Audi can take it to Toyota mid morning, and the long game is slowly encapsulating me. It was too bloomin cold to go on the Ferris Wheel so I decide to take shelter in the coach

8 long hours later I wake up to discover bye-bye #7, uh-oh #2 and hello #20! Somewhat grumpy and annoyed that I'd missed all the fun, I trekked back to witness what I hoped would be a fun conclusion, but poor Webber succumbed to La Sarthe!!

First ever Le Mans and the sounds of the Rebellion and Toyota as they simply adventured onto their reconnaissance laps from the pits had my hairs on end (And then I heard the bloody Corvette!!!!). First few hours were humbling. Le Mans is an epic in itself. The actual story of the race was probably a lot more exciting from the comfort of a living room, so I hope you all enjoyed it!!

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 June 2014 - 15:50.

#1155 Peat

Peat

• 1,329 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 20:59

My first Le Mans was on a Page&Moy coach trip too.

I remember it being so hot and uncomfortable that I slept in the luggage compartment at the back.

And then there was a bloke who didn't leave the bus, but just rocked back and forth muttering "I f***ing hate coaches...." over and over.

If you can convince some mates, i thoroughly recommend driving down and camping, making a long weekend of it (Weds or Thurs to Monday). It's a totally different experience.

#1156 TreeEggs

TreeEggs

• 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:49

There is some interesting info on technical details of the 2014 Le Mans cars over at http://www.mulsannes...LeMans2014.html Apparently there were some debates on Toyota's brake by wire system and a moving wing trickery.

#1157 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,832 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:57

They are significantly smaller this year due to regulations. (No idea as to the purpose)

the reduction of overhang front ant rear is I think twofold: first an attemt to reduce downforce but also with less overhang at in particular the front you reduce the chances that cars flip end over end in case the nose raises too much for whatever reason.

the 1999 Mercedes `Flipper` was notorious far having a tremendous long front overhan and a much smaller wheelbase that enabled more overhang. The results are known....

Henri

#1158 klyster

klyster

• 4,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:25

Dream on als long as F1 is still seen as a money making device by bankers, industrialists and Ecclestone and who else that are behind it and own TV rights etc.

Henri

Yep, I'd be dead now if I was holding my breath.

#1159 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 20:00

Porsche claim they were unfairly success-ballasted in GTE: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114496

The Manthey-run 911 RSR has carried 25kg of ballast since winning the opening round of the World Endurance Championship at Silverstone, while Aston Martin received two weight breaks in the build up to Le Mans that amounted to a 35kg loss.

"Maybe they [the ACO] should understand they must be careful not to penalise or advantage one car. Sometimes if you work well you get penalished and it's not a positive thing. I like the challenge and to battle - if the engineers and driver do a good job they deserve to get a good result."

Advertisement

#1160 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,213 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 21:48

"How Le Mans was almost a classic" says Autosport front page.

I'm seriously getting pissed that nowadays NOTHING is allowed to be great! There is like an unwritten rule that says that everything that happend in the 70s and 80s (drivers, races, tracks, cars) is the best thing that will ever be, and nothing is allowed to ever come close.

HOW GOOD DOES THE RACE HAVE TO BE???!!!

This race had it all, it was my favourite race for many years and the cars are sexy as hell! This will set the bar for future LM races for me. I'm pissed about this, seriously..

Rant mode - off

#1161 Imateria

Imateria

• 395 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 21:56

It was a very good race but not all good races are classics. I don't think this will be remembered in the same way that 2008 and 11 will be in years to come.

#1162 OSX

OSX

• 4,251 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 14:18

Raikkonen: Le Mans the Number One Choice After F1 Career

19 June 2014

4RBsouy.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen told about his plans for the future after the F1 career.

"In the future Le Mans is most certainly my number one objective because those cars are closest to F1 cars in terms of performance. That is my number one choice after F1."

http://www.mtv.fi/sp...f1-uran-jalkeen

#1163 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 967 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:06

Why is there so little variety in GT cars (relatively speaking) at Le Mans compared to say the Blancpain GT series? It would be nice to see the McLarens, Mercedes, BMWs and Bentley's going head to head. Is it simply that the Porsches, Astons and Ferraris represent a well known car that's sure to be a contender?

Edited by biercemountain, 25 June 2014 - 12:07.

#1164 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:34

GTE vs GT3. The same cars with different aero and air restrictors. 

Your success depends on whether you want to pay off SRO or the ACO for Balance of Performance goodies. Hence why a Z4 can totally obliterate 12-C's and 458's for years in GT3.

BMW actually have a GTE spec Z4, but they don't bother with it in Europe. They were amongst the worst of the BOP sandbagging brigade anyway. I think it was 2011 where they turned up at le mans weekend running 4.5 seconds faster than they had in either of the test days or practice.