Photo

Team Lotus 1994

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 89 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 14:24

As some of you may, or may not, be aware I have a particular obsession with the Lotus 107 and 109. Recently I have been trying to connect some memories I have from the past.

Following the acquisition of Team Lotus by David Hunt it moved form Ketteringham Hall to, what I can only remember as an Industrial Estate. There was a 109 chassis there which I assume later arrived at the Barber Vintage motorsports museum. Does anyone remember where this place was?

Secondly following David Hunt's winding up of Team Lotus its assets were sold at an auction in Brighton. A number of items were sold including Colin Chapman's desk and the blue prints for the 107 and 109 (I also remember a complete undertray from a 102 being sold). Does anybody have anything from that auction?

Advertisement

#2 polarboy

polarboy

• 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 15:15

HI the unit was the old Team wind tunnel building on Philip Ford way industrial site,Silfield wymondham

There were various cars there over the years 102d,107,107b,107c and 109

Pretty sure all the 109,s were sold as complete cars and all the other chassis that were there were built up as complete cars

there was an auction at Brighton then the final sale of all the remaining items that were sold on site at the wind tunnel

#3 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 89 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:49

Thank you so much polarboy - PM sent.

#4 hambleman

hambleman

• 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:30

Hi 

I was at the Brighton lotus  Auction, to bid on the Lotus 107C/109 drawings /Blueprints but they where withdrawn from  auction last minute,

A full size sectioned drawing for the 107/109 was used with overlay sheets to check  pipe runs, clearances etc by the team lotus engineers ,where are these ?

I have some odds and ends from the brighton auction as i purchased a few of the parts boxes ,  i remember a 102D car being sold to a USA buyer ,

plus several 109 gearboxes., It was a long day, as the Auction credit card machine failed.

#5 DutchAutosportFan

DutchAutosportFan

• 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 13:33

I got some info about this , though the topics was covered with a thing layer of dust i will post it later today since im not with my External HDD atm.

#6 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 89 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:08

Thank you all for the replies. Do you know where the drawings went in the end? We're they retained by David Hunt?

#7 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:18

Barber museum apparently has:

102B-1

102B-2

109-1

109-2

I heard a story that some of the cars were built up using dummy/show wings and so on, presumably due to a lack of genuine components.

#8 hambleman

hambleman

• 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:28

A Belgium collector has a 109,107C, 107B  plus  a 102D,  and a large garage . An Irish collector had 107C chassis 03 for sale back in 2008 , i understand it was sold with the new owner restoring to running condition ?,  , I have 107C chassis 01, Pedro Lamys crash car here in the UK .

I think all the cars have original wings,Gearbox , suspension etc  but wheel uprights where in short supply due to crashes and no Engines as both Cosworth and  Honda took them back .

After the Brighton Auction I did contact David Hunts Office about the works drawings which they had, but wouldnt sell copys ,

#9 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 89 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 13:28

Many thanks Hambleman - I have sent you a PM.

I am in contact with the nephew of the Belgium collector - its a wonderful collection and he is rightfully very keen to keep prying eyes away from it.

You are a very lucky man to have Lamys car!