Photo
* - - - - 12 votes

Would Alonso be competing for race wins in the current RBR?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#1 RedKloud

RedKloud

• 108 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:00

SV has had terrible luck or has been out of form. DR, generally not considered a top tier driver has been coming somewhat close to the two Mercedes. You can't help but wonder what FA would have been doing in the same car.

Advertisement

#2 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:02

Would Alonso be competing for race wins in the current RBR?

NO.

#3 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:05

No.

I'm a big Alonso fan but the fact is in 2014 that in normal conditions, Mercedes will easily be 1-2.

I think the two current RBR drivers are doing a great job with what they have available to them.

#4 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:06

No.

The Merc W05 is over dominant, and Daniel Ricciardo has not been a threat to their dominance despite his good efforts. If threatened, Rosberg and Lewis can co into full-power mode and disappear into the distance. Alonso isn't a miracle worker and no driver can compensate for a significant power and down-force deficit. 

#5 katmen

katmen

• 822 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:06

no

#6 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:07

Big Fat No

#7 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:14

Max Chilton would dominate if he were in that Mercedes. Its that far ahead of everything else.

#8 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:15

What is the point of this thread? It opens the bash door...

/thread plz

#9 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,452 posts

No, Merc is too far ahead

#10 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Hulk was dominating him in a weaker car in the first couple of races. And he would have to beat Ricardo first which is debatable . 

#11 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:17

no

#12 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:24

He probably would be world champion by now in that car, yes.

Edited by Radion, 30 May 2014 - 09:26.

#13 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:30

Probably not. He may be able to split the mercs on occasion.

#14 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:32

Hulk was dominating him in a weaker car in the first couple of races. And he would have to beat Ricardo first which is debatable .

Alonso beat Hulk in the first 2 races.

#15 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:41

SV has had terrible luck or has been out of form. DR, generally not considered a top tier driver has been coming somewhat close to the two Mercedes. You can't help but wonder what FA would have been doing in the same car.

Never seen that really.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:41

Of course he would, he's 1 second per lap quicker than Vettel, all laps.

What are you smoking bro.

#17 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:50

Probably not. He may be able to split the mercs on occasion.

No chance. Maybe in a wet qualy like has already been achieved, but not in the race. The Mercedes is just to good.

#18 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:51

If he brings his 6 tenths with him, yes. If not, no chance.

#19 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:53

No chance. Maybe in a wet qualy like has already been achieved, but not in the race. The Mercedes is just to good.

In china he would have split Hamilton and Rosberg.

Advertisement

#20 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:58

I mean really?....Mercedes is atleast 1 second front of everyone else....so, no, not even what some consider "the most complete driver in F1" could pull of such tricks.

#21 mzvztag

mzvztag

• 816 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:58

Yes, one or two second places would have been possible but no wins because Mercedes is too fast.

#22 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:06

Alonso has only beaten DR once is the races they both completed. If he cant Handle RD how s he going to handle the Mercs considering the Merc to RB gap is bigger than the RB to Ferrari ? 

Edited by ballow, 30 May 2014 - 10:07.

#23 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:10

nnnn.gif

#24 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:12

Up until this point, I would say no. It may have been closer in Monaco, but I still don't think he would have won, or even be in the fight. As good as I think Alonso is, I really doubt he could find between 1-2 seconds per lap in the race. Most of the races the Mercs were 1-1.5 secs a lap quicker and they weren't even at full pelt. In Bahrain where they were all out the were 2 secs a lap quicker than anyone else, so you would have to presume that they could pull that sort of relative performance out at other races if they needed to, and no way Alonso (or anyone) could find that kind of time.

OT a bit, but you also mention RIC not being top tier. Not sure how you can have really made your mind up on that. Up until this season he's been in a far worse car, but still had some great performances. As for this season, although VET has been having some bad luck, He's a 4 time world champion and RIC seems to have had the measure of him and most of the time has pretty much been the 3rd fastest car, more often than not. Is he a Hamilton or an Alonso, hmmm maybe not (although its prob still a bit too early to tell), but he certainly is on his way to being top tier. He's only had 6 races in a RB that isn't at its best. Give him another season and we'll really see.

Edited by DainBramaged, 30 May 2014 - 10:31.

#25 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:17

No.

#26 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:17

Of course, ALONSO can win even championships in Marussia!

But seriously, the press and maybe fans have this habit of making Alonso a DRIVING GOD! I always hear: "Alonso is amazing because he wins races and challenges Vettel in a middle field car!". But when was the Ferrari a middlefield car (excepting the 2011 and 2013 season when the RB had no challenge from anyone, but even then the Ferrari was a top3 car!)? Was it in 2010? I don't think so, 2012 then? No! In these 2 years it was almost as good as the RB! I It was always among the top cars.

Edited by Heisenberg, 30 May 2014 - 10:18.

#27 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:21

But seriously, the press and maybe fans have this habit of making Alonso a DRIVING GOD! I always hear: "Alonso is amazing because he wins races and challenges Vettel in a middle field car!". But when was the Ferrari a middlefield car (excepting the 2011 and 2013 season when the RB had no challenge from anyone, but even then the Ferrari was a top3 car!)? Was it in 2010? I don't think so, 2012 then? No! In these 2 years it was almost as good as the RB! I It was always among the top cars.

I was reading some comments from Alonso fans saying Ferrari car was not a top 5 car and that he was out performing the car.  So I guess you can see why we have this thread. i know it wont be long before we have Alonso would win the :rotfl:

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:35

Hell no. The Merc is probably 1.5 Seconds faster than the rest.

#29 cordell777

cordell777

• 777 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:53

"Would Alonso be competing for race wins in the current RBR?"

6EUc5sV.jpg

Edited by cordell777, 30 May 2014 - 10:54.

#30 Dunc

Dunc

• 919 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:53

I don't think Alonso would make much difference to RBR's performance, both Dan and Sebby V are getting the best they can out of that car.

The team I think he would make a difference to is Williams, who clearly have a good car but don't have the drivers to make best use of it.  Bottas doesn't have the experience yet and Massa, I'm sad to say, is looking more and more like a spent force.

#31 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:55

No but Webber might be :p

#32 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:57

I consider Alonso to be marginally better as a complete driver than Vettel (who is also very good), but I don't for a second think Fred could give that Red Bull another 3 seconds a lap with his experience! lol 

#33 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,804 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:58

of course he would.. remember the 6s myth! All hail Nando  :smoking:  :smoking:  :smoking:

#34 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:59

All of this is a bit hard on DR, yes he isnt considered a top tier driver, but thats only because he hasnt been put to the real test yet over a prolonged period of time. Hes doing pretty well at the moment, but it will take a few more years yet until we can say hes definitely a top tier driver or not, and all that is assuming he has the car

#35 Dunc

Dunc

• 919 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:02

This.  I agree Alonso is the best driver on the grid and one of the reasons for that is he can drag a bad car beyond what other drivers would normally be able to manage.  However, he isn't a DRIVING GOD, the last time you could argue he took victory in a midfield car was Japan in 2008, the Renault really wasn't a great car.  Ever since then he his victories have been in one of the three best cars on the grid.

#36 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:07

Is this a cleverly structured Alonso-bashing thread?

Edited by boldhakka, 30 May 2014 - 11:07.

#37 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:11

Would he win? No but he would get more out of the car than the current drivers

#38 DS27

DS27

• 4,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:12

Absolutely.

But, on second thoughts',

No.

#39 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:19

Nope. I'd say that between them, Dan and Seb have gotten the best out of the RB10. It's just not a contender, right now, I think.

And there's no guarantee Alonso would not hop in and struggle to get it hooked up like Seb has.

Advertisement

#40 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:20

If there's no mechanical failure or crash Mercedes is going to win all races. Nobody can stop that.

#41 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:24

Stupid Question.

#42 ballow

ballow

• 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:24

This.  I agree Alonso is the best driver on the grid and one of the reasons for that is he can drag a bad car beyond what other drivers would normally be able to manage.  However, he isn't a DRIVING GOD, the last time you could argue he took victory in a midfield car was Japan in 2008, the Renault really wasn't a great car.  Ever since then he his victories have been in one of the three best cars on the grid.

And don't forget Singapore 08 he won in an inferior car. 

#43 ionutf1fan

ionutf1fan

• 191 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:25

Max Chilton would dominate if he were in that Mercedes. Its that far ahead of everything else.

Pastor Maldonado would dominate with a Mercedes.

How Alonso could be competing for wins, if Red Bull was never under 1 second close to Mercedes? Useless thread.

And if anyone was making hopes in Monaco, with Ricardo "challenging" Hamilton, here comes Canada! Prepare to see Mercedes lapping everyone after half a race. I'm thinking 1 second a lap just on the two straight lines.

Edited by ionutf1fan, 30 May 2014 - 11:28.

#44 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:28

And don't forget Singapore 08 he won in an inferior car. 

ye, how could we possibly forget Singapore 08..... what a disgrace, makes me want to puke  :down:

#45 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:32

I think what the Mercedes dominance is showing us this season is that as long as there are two guys able to fight, then a dominant car will not destroy a championship.

So, if you amend the question to 'would Alonso have won the championship had been driving last years RBR' it would have a much more interesting answer. I really liked Webber, but I think he got a great car too late in his career. Had Alonso or Hamilton been in that car for the last 3 years I think we would have seen an amazing battle against Vettel and it would have been one of the golden eras of the sport. 

#46 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:41

Pastor Maldonado would dominate with a Mercedes.

Amusingly enough I'd rather trust a Merc to Chilton than Maldonado, even if I rate Maldonado much higher. Chilton is slow but seems to reach the finish line consistently in one piece, and in the current Mercedes that should be enough to beat the field most races, 18 points per race are given. Maldonado has a lot more speed in him, but on evidence from this season appears rattled when faced with a quicker team-mate - imagine him in Rosberg or Hamilton's place who are making quite the fuss as it is. Even if he'd only DNF once in a while, look at how Hamilton's behind Rosberg right now despite beating him almost every race, all because of one DNF - DNFs are extremely costly when battling for the title in a dominant car. Pastor would throw away too many points.

On second thought this total hypothetical tangent of a point didn't need me to write that much, but it's still far more interesting that the original question of this thread.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:48

Amusingly enough I'd rather trust a Merc to Chilton than Maldonado, even if I rate Maldonado much higher. Chilton is slow but seems to reach the finish line consistently in one piece, and in the current Mercedes that should be enough to beat the field most races, 18 points per race are given. Maldonado has a lot more speed in him, but on evidence from this season appears rattled when faced with a quicker team-mate - imagine him in Rosberg or Hamilton's place who are making quite the fuss as it is. Even if he'd only DNF once in a while, look at how Hamilton's behind Rosberg right now despite beating him almost every race, all because of one DNF - DNFs are extremely costly when battling for the title in a dominant car. Pastor would throw away too many points.

On second thought this total hypothetical tangent of a point didn't need me to write that much, but it's still far more interesting that the original question of this thread.

:p

Going on with the random guessing game, didn't Max Chilton finish a lap or two behind Bianchi at Monaco? Even if Chilton makes it to the finish, he is more than capable of having a race, where he is literally absolutely nowhere, be it either due to slow speed or some incident. Even if on most occasions you'd still be able to be at the front with this 2-second pace advantage.

But Maldonado not finishing 1st or 2nd in every single race. Yeah, looks like a given. Imagine him being in Rosberg Chinese GP situation. Bad start into the midfield. Get your mind a bit lost with this setback and you can easily be overaggressive and lose your front wing in the midfield melee.

I also agree with whoever said Williams could have had some use of a top driver. Podium in Australia? A podium challenge in Bahrain?

#48 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:48

LOL, no.

#49 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:49

Maybe

edit: to add some quality to my post. Nobody can answer that question. We can only make assumptions and try to persuade eachother that FA is the top tier driver who is a half second quicker than anybody else. We should re-open the thread when the summer break begins because we need something to talk about then

Edited by nosecone, 30 May 2014 - 11:53.

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:57

:p

Going on with the random guessing game, didn't Max Chilton finish a lap or two behind Bianchi at Monaco? Even if Chilton makes it to the finish, he is more than capable of having a race, where he is literally absolutely nowhere, be it either due to slow speed or some incident. Even if on most occasions you'd still be able to be at the front with this 2-second pace advantage.

But Maldonado not finishing 1st or 2nd in every single race. Yeah, looks like a given. Imagine him being in Rosberg Chinese GP situation. Bad start into the midfield. Get your mind a bit lost with this setback and you can easily be overaggressive and lose your front wing in the midfield melee.

I don't pay enough attention to the back but I think Chilton finishing 1 lap behind is pretty rare.

Also, my "analysis" was assuming we'd swap either Rosberg or Hamilton for Chilton or Maldonado as a #2. In that case, I'd pick Chilton for consistency as frustration would surely get the worst out of Pastor. However - if we were to put the Mercedes in the hands of both Chilton and Maldonado, I'd tip Maldonado for the title. With a slow team-mate like Max and no opponents from other teams, he could concentrate on dominating everything easily like in his GP2 winning season. It's when there's cars around him that problems start showing up...

So yeah, back to Alonso and the OP. Nope, no freaking way.