* * * - - 5 votes

Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg 2014 part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3902 replies to this topic

#2051 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:34

Yes you did. I pm'd you with an interesting offer.

May i have some of that action too :p

Advertisement

#2052 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:49

It is one of the good ways to drive in the wet. Mark Donohue, for example, said driving in the wet was no rocketscience. His idea was that the tyres lose much more grip sideways than forward. In other words: in a straight line the grip of the tyres is much less influenced than if the tyre is pointing around a curve. So Donohue did this: floor it on the straight. Jump on the brakes. Dilly-dally through the corner. Floor it on the straight.

Schumacher indeed chose different lines. According to what I heard about Hamilton (again, anyone can claim it, but why would I? I don't need to impress a couple of spotty thirteen year olds) is that driving the same lines, be it wet or dry, is a sign of a good driver and that Hamilton is able to do that.

Perhaps someone can look up what style Senna used - he was masterfull in the wet, of course. Sennafan; any idea?

Going for 'em family jewels aren't we :p

$_35.JPG

#2053 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:31

Going for 'em family jewels aren't we :p

$_35.JPG

:rotfl:

I am true to the Chinese proverb: 'Speak softly, but carry a heavy stick.'

#2054 baddog

baddog

• 23,625 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:59

Actually you were just being kind of a dick with that one.. and I'm not even the spotty teenager you are looking for.

#2055 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:09

Actually you were just being kind of a dick with that one.. and I'm not even the spotty teenager you are looking for.

I agree, it was a low blow (both literally and figuratively).

I'll try to lead a better posterlife! :up:

#2056 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:20

I didn't think Hamilton was bragging.  I think he was just playing mind games with Nico.  it didn't work, and like most mind games, may have impacted him instead. 

Oh they did work. They helped Nico find his balls.

#2057 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:42

Somehow, somewhere, I feel myself responsible to have gotten this thread at a certain level...  ;)

#2058 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:39

Ha!  That is what I meant by impacting him instead.  Traditionally, that is what happens. 

#2059 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:49

Fun fact: Lewis has led 207 laps so far this season, Rosberg 206.

Worth noting that Lewis has completed about (guess) 75 less laps.

Advertisement

#2060 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:57

Think about what you're saying. Special is Vettel at Singapore last year. Hamilton in Bahrain this year.

When you say "he had 160hp less but held them off" it sounds mythical, but it really wasn't, we all saw what happened. He drove away from the older tyred Perez in S1 and 2 who gained in S3. His lap times at the end of the second stint were similar to Hamilton's, and they then improved as expected thanks to fresher tyres. He did not find an extra half second from somewhere magical to hold on. He drive exactly how he had all race. Calmly and unspectacularly, doing just enough. There was no god-like defensive driving at all.

Oh come on, Rosberg's drive was pretty bloody good/excellent/special on Sunday (let's not get pedantically caught up in the use of the right word, we all know what we're trying to say) - leading under pressure from Hamilton for half the race and then nursing a stricken car for the latter half which required a lot of management both electronic and in terms of race-craft, required a lot of skill under pressure. Hamilton may very well (in all probability) have done an even better job had he not retired - but this takes nothing away from Hamilton at all, credit where credit is due, Rosberg's race was ace. So there was no element of "defensive driving" - so what, there is more than one manifestation or should I say expression of great driving, in this case it was about the adaptability to consistently deliver quick laps with a car utterly lop-sided towards front braking bias, with no ERS and therefore no harvest braking effect which led to increased front tyre wear, not to mention the lack of horses, and therefore straight-line speed. I think your possibly underestimating the fact that Rosberg was driving a car which was suddenly characteristically not like it had been in any winter test or race, due to the ERS loss... I'm not comparing it to other "special" drives because that will only encourage a debate I haven't got time to have - suffice to say I know a drive when I see one. 

Its good to be gracious.  :cool:

Edited by Rinehart, 11 June 2014 - 09:05.

#2061 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 599 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:50

A1-Ring-Red-Bull-Ring.jpg

I like the fact that this track has grass and gravel traps - instead of tarmac - and no chicanes. It should greatly reduce the chance of Rosberg gaining another one of his 'innocent' unfair advantages .

Though on 2nd thought, turn 1 and 2 do appear to have tarmac run-off areas and they're also the top 2 overtaking spots on the track. I expect Hamilton to be slightly faster in the 1st sector because of these 2 heavy-braking zones.

#2062 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:59

It looks like a track, where it's not too difficult to predict the outcome. Lewis by a COUNTRY mile!!!! And a cow.

Sorry, typo. Louis.

Edited by meddo, 11 June 2014 - 11:00.

#2063 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:35

Maybe it is time to start giving Rosberg some credit, so far he has not really sucked badly on any circuit. A little respect for the competition is not wrong. It would look extremely stupid to reach the end of the year and see that Lewis has been beaten by a guy, which he should have dominated by a "country mile"

#2064 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:39

A1-Ring-Red-Bull-Ring.jpg

I like the fact that this track has grass and gravel traps - instead of tarmac - and no chicanes. It should greatly reduce the chance of Rosberg gaining another one of his 'innocent' unfair advantages .

Though on 2nd thought, turn 1 and 2 do appear to have tarmac run-off areas and they're also the top 2 overtaking spots on the track. I expect Hamilton to be slightly faster in the 1st sector because of these 2 heavy-braking zones.

Like I said on the 'premature' Austria GP thread: that second corner was, in the old configuration, a bitch of a corner, at least that is how I always experienced it in playing GP3 and Gp4. One of the tracks I could never compile a good setup for. You need a soft front to get the car turned in to the apex, which is up against the hill... but then after the apex the curve flattens... and if you turn in and brake too much, of give too much throttle... you spin.

If on the other hand, you set up the car stiffer in the front (for example with higher values of the front slow bumps) the bloody thing doesn't want to turn in. And you glide into the gravel.

I will be very curious how everybody is going to negotiate that corner with the massive torque they have now in the back of the car. Expect some flying kevlar after the start there. And if Rosberg and Hamilton will try to play chicken in THAT corner, wellllllll... Ricciardo or Vettel for the win, then.

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 11:41.

#2065 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:41

Maybe it is time to start giving Rosberg some credit, so far he has not really sucked badly on any circuit. A little respect for the competition is not wrong. It would look extremely stupid to reach the end of the year and see that Lewis has been beaten by a guy, which he should have dominated by a "country mile".

It's Lewis¨s problem, not mine. I just call them as I see them :D

And I'm the last one who is underestimating Rosberg. 

#2066 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:43

I don't need to impress a couple of spotty thirteen year olds

Firstly, I am 26 not 13 (although I still do get asked for identification in clubs). I probably have the body fat of a 13 year old, as I am pretty slim, so I will give you that one.  Also, my spots have mostly cleared up, and I use concealer to get rid of blimishes.

Yours faithfully

Defensive Lewis Hamilton fan   ;)

#2067 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:44

It's Lewis¨s problem, not mine. I just call them as I see them :D

And I'm the last one who is underestimating Rosberg. 

That is true. Meddo is one of those diehard Hamilton fans who has shown respect for Rosberg throughout. (Rare. Or is that something I am not allowed to say? I will get y my hat.)

#2068 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:45

Firstly, I am 26 not 13 (although I still do get asked for identification in clubs). I probably have the body fat of a 13 year old, as I am pretty slim, so I will give you that one.  Also, my spots have mostly cleared up, and I use concealer to get rid of blimishes.

Yours faithfully

Defensive Lewis Hamilton fan   ;)

Sennafan, you are the last person I was adressing. And the person I was adressing is I think my age. And I've got a nice bet going with him. So we will be the best of friends shortly! :kiss:

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 11:45.

#2069 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47

Sennafan, you are the last person I was adressing.

Yeah I know

Just adding a bit of light humor. This thread needs it sometimes  :up:

#2070 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:49

Yeah I know

Just adding a bit of light humor. This thread needs it sometimes  :up:

And on top of that: you are not spotty. You got Senna's babycheeks. Otherwise I would not have kissed you, even virtually. :kiss:

EDIT: I want to add, because I have now kissed a young boy twice: I am NOT a catholic priest.

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 11:50.

#2071 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 4,045 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:58

And on top of that: you are not spotty. You got Senna's babycheeks. Otherwise I would not have kissed you, even virtually. :kiss:

:kiss:

Right back at you  :up:

#2072 AlmightyGod

AlmightyGod

• 528 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:05

Yes you did. I pm'd you with an interesting offer.

Seen your offer and It didn't interest me so it wasn't interesting :p

#2073 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 477 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:14

EDIT: I want to add, because I have now kissed a young boy twice: I am NOT a catholic priest.

:kiss:

Right back at you  :up:

Now this is what I'm talking about, more cool love less flame war :up:

#2074 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:31

Watson wades in...

http://m.gpupdate.ne...-than-hamilton/

#2075 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 477 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:40

Well that's that then, what Watson says goes. :rolleyes:

Has he actually been watching the races or just reacting off the press?

Edited by PAGATRON, 11 June 2014 - 14:44.

#2076 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:48

This is just what I needed to read this afternoon, an excellent piece of satire:
Studiously chooses not to mention the two retirements the second of which occured while Lewis was ahead, the controversy of Monaco qualifying, Nico's quite visible cracking under pressure in Canada and Lewis arguably being the faster driver during the race in both Monaco or Canada, when coming to his assesement that Rosberg is the more complete rounded driver, while taking the opportunity to prattle the usual media line, about distractions, heart on sleeves, and doing all the talking of track. I'm actually impressed, it definitely ticked all of the boxes.

Edited by Kvothe, 11 June 2014 - 14:51.

#2077 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,965 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:54

It was said about Lauda in relation to Prost, Prost in relation to Senna, Alonso in relation to Hamilton etc etc.

Is "more complete" just a euphemism for "slower"?

#2078 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:59

That's a bit vague. Doesn't explain what he means by 'rounded and complete', doesn't explain how this is the case and doesn't say who is the better driver.

I always find it funny when people say Hamilton should talk less. That would be a lot more boring.

And how many times can people say Lewis is emotional and wears his heart on his sleeve? It's true but does it really have to be mention so often? 

Same old same old. Not the most insightful or interesting piece I have ever read.

#2079 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:22

That's a bit vague. Doesn't explain what he means by 'rounded and complete', doesn't explain how this is the case and doesn't say who is the better driver.

I always find it funny when people say Hamilton should talk less. That would be a lot more boring.

And how many times can people say Lewis is emotional and wears his heart on his sleeve? It's true but does it really have to be mention so often? 

Same old same old. Not the most insightful or interesting piece I have ever read.

Also, I have the impression it is cut and paste from a longer, perhaps more nuanced article or interview.

Could be wrong...

Advertisement

#2080 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 599 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:26

Of course Nico's more rounded and complete, he weighs 5 kg more, people! 

#2081 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:38

Huub Rothengatter (ex-F1driver and former manager of Jos Verstappen) once told me a nice analogy. He said that every driver has a little basket. In that basket there is speed, communication skills, straight forward intelligence, social skills and so forth. The basket is different with every driver. What is important if the basket has enough contents to bring you success, not how the contents are exactly divided.

Only at the end of Rosbergs and Hamiltons career we can properly assess what they had in their basket. And if it was enough...

EDIT: And of course with Jos Verstappen his basket, was well...

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 15:54.

#2082 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:58

hes been luckier (nico), and its a great attribute to have

#2083 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 477 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:59

Which basket? Picnic, shopping or laundry?

Edited by PAGATRON, 11 June 2014 - 15:59.

#2084 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:03

Which basket? Picnic, shopping or laundry?

:rotfl:

Haha. Huub used the word 'broodmandje', with which he meant the type that is two hands big, the ones you get in an European hotel for the bread. The analogy was apt because only a limited amount of bread fits in it, you see?

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 16:03.

#2085 Jvr

Jvr

• 782 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:11

It was said about Lauda in relation to Prost, Prost in relation to Senna, Alonso in relation to Hamilton etc etc.Is "more complete" just a euphemism for "slower"?

I have heard in this forum that Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid. So is he then the slowest?;)

#2086 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,952 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:17

I have heard in this forum that Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid. So is he then the slowest?;)

Well, he has lot to carry in his basket   ;)

#2087 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:31

Of course Nico's more rounded and complete, he weighs 5 kg more, people! 

Not quite 5 kg. More like 2 kg.   ;)

2014 F1 Drivers Weights

But your point still stands!

Edited by Kingshark, 11 June 2014 - 16:32.

#2088 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:47

ip6oeg.jpg

I agree with the 15%. Rosberg does not deserve the World Cup.

fifa_world_cup_trophy.jpg

#2089 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:56

Not quite 5 kg. More like 2 kg.   ;)

2014 F1 Drivers Weights

But your point still stands!

Most of that weight is in his skull, haha! Everbody says all the time that Rosberg is so handsome. I don't think so. Nico's head is a 'brachycephalic', which means that the head is as wide as it is long. Lewis head is longer and rounder though he does not have a 'dolichocephalic skull', typical for Europeans. 

Nico's head could be a thing of etnic background (Scandanavians usually have brachycephalic skulls), and regarding Lewis skull: his mother perhaps just had a smart obstetrician (part of the skull form is shaped by birth itself). He should shave his head again, he has got a beautiful round skull. The smitten hair on top: it is not on!

PS: This my contribution for weirdest post of the year. But I've been waiting for weeks to make this remark about Nico's head!

PPS: In case someone wants to know what kind of drug I am on: on nothing. But I played with the idea for a while (way back) to become a forensic pathologist.

Edited by Nemo1965, 11 June 2014 - 18:27.

#2090 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 16:59

Supporting the nomination for the weirdest post of the anno :up:

Doing it the weirdest way - since 2014

#2091 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:00

Maybe neurosurgeon Nico is just heavier because of his massive brains. Whatever few hundreds his slightly more massive skull costs him, his far superior intelligence will make up for it.

Remember, he speaks 5 languages.

#2092 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:03

How do you say runner up in finnish?

#2093 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:04

Imagine if it was Vettel or Hamilton who staged Mirabeau gate and the chicane affair!

#2094 FNG

FNG

• 3,251 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:05

How do you say runner up in finnish?

Lewis Hamilton :p

#2095 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,731 posts

So we know who's going to be thrown under the bus, right after Rosberg that is :rotfl: Wait, some already at it.

#2096 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,437 posts

Supporting the nomination for the weirdest post of the anno :up:

Doing it the weirdest way - since 2014

I can make a even weirder post.

You know what my friend at Mercedes told me several times in an astonished way? That whenever he went to the bathroom in Brackley, Ross Brawn (your avatar) was always pissing too! 'I swear, if I went for a pee, he was there. I wondered sometimes if he ever left the place. But I saw him on tv at the races. So how could that be true?'

#2097 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Imagine if it was Vettel or Hamilton who staged Mirabeau gate and the chicane affair!

Or liegate? Or spygate?

This topic would already be in it¨s fifth part....

#2098 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,731 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:07

Lewis Hamilton :p

:rotfl: :clap: :up:

Words are secondary to lolz

#2099 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:07

I can make a even weirder post.

You know what my friend at Mercedes told me several times in an astonished way? That whenever he went to the bathroom in Brackley, Ross Brawn (your avatar) was always pissing too! 'I swear, if I went for a pee, he was there. I wondered sometimes if he ever left the place. But I saw him on tv at the races. So how could that be true?'

Nemo, you know that movie "One time in a band camp" :D

Advertisement

#2100 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 999 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:13

This is just what I needed to read this afternoon, an excellent piece of satire:
Studiously chooses not to mention the two retirements the second of which occured while Lewis was ahead, the controversy of Monaco qualifying, Nico's quite visible cracking under pressure in Canada and Lewis arguably being the faster driver during the race in both Monaco or Canada, when coming to his assesement that Rosberg is the more complete rounded driver, while taking the opportunity to prattle the usual media line, about distractions, heart on sleeves, and doing all the talking of track. I'm actually impressed, it definitely ticked all of the boxes.

jeez the guy needs to do his research, he forgot t0 mention Hamiltons rapstar alternative career and his gangsta pals, big disappointment :lol:

Edited by jestaudio, 11 June 2014 - 17:16.