- - - - -

The Prancing Horse Emblem Origin.......

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:00

Hey everyone, not sure how true this is but my Brother is a war fanatic and he seems to think it's legit.

http://www.century-o...sco Baracca.htm

Very interesting story either way, so I thought it might be worth sharing.

Advertisement

#2 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:11

Hey everyone, not sure how true this is but my Brother is a war fanatic and he seems to think it's legit.

http://www.century-o...sco Baracca.htm

Very interesting story either way, so I thought it might be worth sharing.

Yes sir, your Brother is right.  :up:

See this link, hope you like it!  :wave:

http://www.motorauth...ing-horse-video

#3 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:15

Great story :up:

#4 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:26

Always wondered. Interesting.

#5 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 13:22

Not to be confused with the very similar black prancing horse on the Porsche badge, which is the coat of arms of the City of Stuttgart - reflecting the city's origins as a 10th century stud farm.

ox281289656638915782.jpg

#6 BestCarWins

BestCarWins

• 199 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 13:45

I had heard this in the original Need for Speed game for the playstation 1 under the showcase feature for the ferrari in the game (512TR)... was not sure it was true but it looks like it was!

#7 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 14:01

A quick google shows what it looked like on the side of his plane

ip8lyu.jpg

Edited by PaulTodd, 01 June 2014 - 14:01.

#8 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 15:20

Interesting!
I haven't watched the video, so how did his mother know Enzo?

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 15:39

Interesting!
I haven't watched the video, so how did his mother know Enzo?

She was a spectator at the Circuit of Ravenna in 1920, which Enzo won.  It was after that race she suggested Ferrari use her son's logo.

#10 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 18:38

Fabio Taglioni used it on his Ducati motorbikes as well.

http://www.motocreat...allino-rampante

#11 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 23:06

Not to be confused with the very similar black prancing horse on the Porsche badge, which is the coat of arms of the City of Stuttgart - reflecting the city's origins as a 10th century stud farm.

ox281289656638915782.jpg

So what are the 6 "fronds"?...deer antler? Tree branches? an evil samovar?

#12 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 00:36

I thought there was a link to the Porsche badge?

Why did Baracca use the prancing horse then? That might be it, or I'm just being fooled by urban legends.

#13 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:53

I thought there was a link to the Porsche badge?

Why did Baracca use the prancing horse then? That might be it, or I'm just being fooled by urban legends.

some google and:

"From 1909 to 1910, Francesco Baracca attended the cavalry school in Pinerolo , as part of the 2nd “Piemonte Reale” Regiment, which was established in 1692 by the Duke of Savoy with the motto “Venustus et Audax”. One of the most prestigious units of the Italian army, its emblem is the silver “Cavallino Rampante” , a prancing horse , on a red background, looking toward the left with its tail pointing downward.

Francesco Baracca chose to adopt the emblem of the “Piemonte Cavalry” – with a few changes – as his personal emblem, so as to honour his own military origins and his love of horses.

The “cavallino” didn’t appear on the first aeroplanes flown by the Ace of Aces; its debut was in 1917, when the 91st Air Squadron was established. The French Allies equipped this unit with the latest fighter aircraft: the Nieuport 17 and a few SPAD VII and XIII. The pilots used to paint their personal emblems on the right side of the fuselage of their aircraft, and Baracca chose the prancing horse as his, changing it from silver to black so it would stand out more against the colour of the fuselage.

It has by now been proven that the cavallino has always been black, though a multilayered painted panel in the collections, which certainly existed prior to Baracca’s death, shows it looking toward the right.

When Enzo Ferrari, driving an Alfa Romeo RL-Targa Florio with Giulio Ramponi, won the first Savio Circuit in Ravenna on 16th June 1923, he came across Count Enrico Baracca, Francesco’s father, whom he had already met in Bologna some time before. That second encounter, as Ferrari himself wrote on 3rd July 1985 to Lugo historian Giovanni Manzoni, gave rise to yet another meeting, this time with Francesco’s mother, Countess Paolina Biancoli. “This is what she said to me one day:” – wrote the Maranello car manufacturer: “Ferrari, use my son’s prancing horse on your cars. It will bring you good luck. ” (…) “I still have Baracca’s photograph, with his parents’ dedication entrusting his emblem to me. ” – concluded Ferrari – “The horse was and has remained black, but I added the canary yellow background, the colour of Modena ”.

According to authoritative testimonials, Enzo Ferrari’s choice was driven by a love of Giovanni Pascoli’s poem, “La cavallina storna”, and a great admiration for Francesco Baracca, which dated back to his adolescent years.

After having raced for the Portello car manufacturer, Ferrari became a dealer in Emilia-Romagna and the Marche regions in 1927, with headquarters in Modena. For two years, Ferrari sold automobiles, organised races and drove those vehicles himself. The legendary “cavallino”, which would become indelibly linked to Enzo Ferrari’s name from 1929 on, with the founding of the Ferrari racing team and the adoption of the prancing horse as its symbol, hadn’t actually appeared on the automobiles yet. The debut of the “cavallino” on the Ferrari team’s Alfa Romeos only came on 9th July 1932, at the Total 24 Hours of Spa-Francoschamps in Belgium ."

http://eng.museobara...-prancing-horse

#14 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:28

Awesome guys, thanks for all the other info !

:up:  :up:  :up: