- - - - -

Secret F1 Tests 2014

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:39

Bild are reporting that a secret test took place for Torro Rosso and Renault between Bahrain test and the Australian Grand Prix at Red Bull's AVL "rolling road" facility in Graz.

A 6 day test apparently.

Do F1 teams really think they can still do this sort of thing and get away with it or are Torro Rosso a sacrificial lamb to help their sister team and Renault progress?

Does anyone else think other teams have managed similar tests?

Edited by David1976, 05 June 2014 - 08:39.

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:42

yay, up to 4 threads discussing the matter!  :D at least this is specially dedicated to this.

Somers thinks it is OK: clicky

#3 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:43

Torro Rosso a sacrificial lamb to help their sister team and Renault progress?

This. :down:

Also Ferrari looked like they had there engine in a test car...

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 05 June 2014 - 08:44.

#4 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:46

This. :down:

Also Ferrari looked like they had there engine in a test car...

yay, up to 4 threads discussing the matter!  :D at least this is specially dedicated to this.

Somers thinks it is OK: clicky

Everyone jumping on the "they're cheating again!" bandwagon needs to slow down and read that article by Somers. The only journo so far to actually go and do some fact checking instead of jumping into sensationalist headline-grabbing garbage reporting.

#5 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,739 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:47

So no young drivers test? The horror. :p

#6 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:52

I have read the Somers article and always find his articles informative and well written.  

But someone please explain to me why drivers would need to be there then?  That is what has been alluded to.  If it was as simple as has been reported in Somer's article surely it would be engineers only and not drivers?

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,314 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:54

Why would the drivers be prevented from attending?

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:57

I posted about this yesterday when I saw some discussion on Twitter about it. Felix on here kindly linked the original article which is just full of speculation and little facts. (will try and link below)

http://www.motorspor...d-14060406.html

Translation:

https://translate.go....html&edit-text=

as Somers has shown in the article Zava has linked it is perfectly OK and allowed in the rules to carry out rolling road tests on a full car as long as it is not for aero work. I don't think this is going to be a problem unless someone has evidence they were aero testing.

Didn't Mercedes do something silmilar, I remember an interview with Ross Brawn saying they had tested the engine in the full car and discovered things they had to change. Can't find that interview though. :(

#9 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:22

Why would the drivers be prevented from attending?

The impression I got was that they HAD to be there.

#10 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:48

Mercedes have been doing that for a long time. There's nothing strange with it.

Edited by ollebompa, 05 June 2014 - 10:50.

#11 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 566 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:08

Hi Guys, seen the traffic so thought I'd jump in, I'm not sure Antonio Felix Da Costa was there or not... I'm not really bothered by that element of the story although it does add another variable into the mix, it would still be legal IMO.  As I've just written over on F1Fanatic if he was there it brings into question how far the simulation goes, with him 'in-loop' it does create a data set with a human element.  As we know we tend to do things differently to a computer simulation "throwing a spanner in the works" and with the way ERS requires coding I can see how this would be useful.  Especially as it would aid Renault in understanding how to better utilise the 'free-er' energy transfer between the MGU-H and K (read this if you don't understand that 33.33 seconds of energy is just a misnomer perpetuated by those that don't understand: http://somersf1.blog...d-misnomer.html

On a side note, Mercedes also conducted these kinds of tests and bear the fruit of having a 'works' team and chassis to work with ahead of schedule, this is perhaps where Renault/RBR dropped the ball and Ferrari should be kicking themselves.                                                     

Edited by Matt Somers, 06 June 2014 - 11:12.

#12 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 18:22

And also shows how McLaren are seriously disadvantaged as Merc take their toys away after the races

#13 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 19:45

Didn't Mercedes do something silmilar, I remember an interview with Ross Brawn saying they had tested the engine in the full car and discovered things they had to change. Can't find that interview though. :(

It was Lauda in an AMuS article (german).

Google Translation

Mercedes is testing F1 engine with half the car

Mercedes lets his engine just go on a special test bench race. The new V6 turbo is installed, including hybrid technology, transmission and cooling in an original chassis, which is cut off from the front axle to the front. The coolers are installed in the side boxes later in the 2014er Silver Arrow. And the rear is already as lean as it will be in reality.

Engineers can thus recognize the real object if the cooling works.According Lauda one of many new problems that lie ahead for all engineers. "We are constantly learning new things. Suddenly you have to take care of things like water pressure or charge air cooling. Oil and water must be in a precise temperature window. If there goes beyond just a few degrees above a certain limit, it tears up everything."

#14 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 19:50

Move along, Nothing to see here.

#15 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:14

Hi Guys, seen the traffic so thought I'd jump in, I'm not sure Antonio Felix Da Costa was there or not... I'm not really bothered by that element of the story although it does add another variable into the mix, it would still be legal IMO.  As I've just written over on F1Fanatic if he was there it brings into question how far the simulation goes, with him 'in-loop' it does create a data set with a human element.  As we know we tend to do things differently to a computer simulation "throwing a spanner in the works" and with the way ERS requires coding I can see how this would be useful.  Especially as it would aid Renault in understanding how to better utilise the 'free-er' energy transfer between the MGU-H and K (read this if you don't understand that 33.33 seconds of energy is just a misnomer perpetuated by those that don't understand: http://somersf1.blog...-misnomer.html)

On a side note, Mercedes also conducted these kinds of tests and bear the fruit of having a 'works' team and chassis to work with ahead of schedule, this is perhaps where Renault/RBR dropped the ball and Ferrari should be kicking themselves.                                                     

Great article Matt. It may be worth editing out the ")" in the above link, as it cant find the article when you click on it.

#16 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:47

maybe they had the drivers in the car as they wanted to test the drivabillity or feel of the power delivery. Not sure how it would work, but surely its better to have a driver there than not as its hardly a big cost to have one available