- - - - -

Best F1 overtakers!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 27gilles27

27gilles27

• 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 00:54

There used to be some top passing manouvres in F1 once, but who pulled awesome passes fairly regularly? Jacques Villeneuve, Juan Pablo Montoya, Nigel Mansell. Probably very few in the last ten years!!!

Advertisement

#2 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:51

I don't care much for diving and expecting others to yield. So when i rate overtakes, i keep that in mind, and rate drivers and moves with such a backdrop. I also rate overtaking moves without DRS above ones with, but of course there's a bit of exception made with difficulty in mind, as in most cases. One's that are fresh in my mind are Raikkonen's moves over Renault's in 2005 (especially one at Turn 1 Suzuka). Schumacher at Brazil kept coming... Alonso at Spain last year (over took two cars without DRS). Vettel on Rosberg at Bahrain last year (it was in the infield section, so no DRS). Vettel did some overtaking in 2012 as well, both at Bahrain and Brazil, some with a damaged car, and with the WDC hanging by a thread, it was quite impressive to me. I'm sure there are others here who keep a track on such who will add a lot more.

#3 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:58

There's some rookie named Hamilton who's not too bad when it comes to overtakes...

#4 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,262 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:06

There used to be some top passing manouvres in F1 once, but who pulled awesome passes fairly regularly? Jacques Villeneuve, Juan Pablo Montoya, Nigel Mansell. Probably very few in the last ten years!!!

You might have missed a few races. 

http://youtu.be/fzFDvZhntvQ?t=18s

http://youtu.be/-dhmCRFSoIk?t=45s

#5 27gilles27

27gilles27

• 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:16

All impressive! I'll go back a bit and suggest Mansell on Senna, Hungary 1989. Then that awesome last lap battle between Gilles and Arnoux at the French GP 1979. Villeneuve just would not give up before he claimed the place, shot tyres and all!

#6 27gilles27

27gilles27

• 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:19

Watched every GP mate! I just can't get excited about current F1. Back then it was all about the driver, no driver aids. Sorted the men from the boys.

#7 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,262 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:40

All impressive! I'll go back a bit and suggest Mansell on Senna, Hungary 1989. Then that awesome last lap battle between Gilles and Arnoux at the French GP 1979. Villeneuve just would not give up before he claimed the place, shot tyres and all!

Thanks, I just watched it and it was a nice one!  Funny how far Mansell goes from Senna when overtaking. 

Villeneuve - Arnoux also seemed like an epic battle!   :up:

Watched every GP mate! I just can't get excited about current F1. Back then it was all about the driver, no driver aids. Sorted the men from the boys.

Well, a good chunk of those I posted were prior to DRS. A lot of them there was KERS already, but well...   If you look back at Hamilton's 2010 season, he made lots of impressive overtakes. Then DRS made things too easy for everyone (including Lewis), and now people no longer realize what a great overtaker he is.  

Edited by hollowstar, 07 June 2014 - 03:41.

#8 27gilles27

27gilles27

• 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:59

Mansell boxed Senna in behind Johansson who was being lapped, he had to ensure Senna had no way through. Classic move and bear in mind that Mansell came from 12th on the grid and this was Hunaroring, the worst place to overtake after Monaco. The Villeneuve / Arnoux battle was classic Gilles. Check out his 3 wheeled lap in Holland that year, 1979. The man just didn't know how to give up! You can see why Enzo Ferrari loved him like a son.

#9 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:38

Engine and brakes are also driver aids ;)

While passes looked more spectacular in times past, it's more difficult now to pass without DRS. Plus when cars are not optimized for high speed and even without DRS cannot pass, then drivers habve to make passes the old fashioned way, and many do so..

#10 F1TestCatalunya

F1TestCatalunya

• 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:11

Hakkinen at the Kemmel straight.

Montoya at the Senna S and Variante Villeneuve.

Webber/Raikkonen at Eau Rouge.

#11 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:52

Heidfeld on Alonso!

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:03

I guess you don’t watch that closely anymore or your memory is fading.

Raikkonen e.g. made many great moves on track since his return in 2012, like on Hulkenberg in the 2012 USGP. There were quite a lot of comments about his clean passes all through that year.

Just during the last GP in Monaco there was a briljant pass by Hulkenberg on Magnussen at Portier and two perfectly executed passes by Sutil both at Loews and at the chicane. Alos this year there were some great passes and repasses all through the field -and not specifically in DRS zones- during the last Bahrain GP.

As you’re talking about the last ten years, let’s remember Alonso’s pass on MS at Suzuka in 2005 or Kimi’s on Fisichella that race. Alonso passing Massa in the rain at the ‘Ring in 2007. Heidfeld passing Alonso in Bahrain 2007 and Alonso passing Heidfeld at the esses in Magny Cours in 2007. Kimi’s superb passes on Fisichella and Coulthard in the rain at Fuji in 2007. Vettel on Grosjean in Brazil 2009. Hamilton on Vettel in the 2011 Hungarian GP. Kimi’s and Webber’s passes at Eau Rouge as mentioned. Kobayashi on several drivers during both the 2010 Japanese and the 2012 Spanish GP.... those are just the first few from my memory.

And I must say that I remember very few really outstanding passes from Jacques Villeneuve as an F1 driver, just that one at Estoril.

Edited by scheivlak, 07 June 2014 - 08:06.

#13 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:18

I guess you don’t watch that closely anymore or your memory is fading.

And I must say that I remember very few really outstanding passes from Jacques Villeneuve as an F1 driver, just that one at Estoril.

:lol: :lol:

Why is it I knew you would go down that route....

How 'bout the one that tainted MSC for the rest of his career?

Jp

#14 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:32

:lol: :lol:

Why is it I knew you would go down that route....

How 'bout the one that tainted MSC for the rest of his career?

Jp

Well, I don't count that as a pass....

#15 manmower

manmower

• 1,540 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 21:03

Although his peak was just before my time watching F1, Keke Rosberg had (a reputation for having) a few tricks up his sleeve when it came to overtaking. There used to be an impressive anthology of his moves on YouTube but I guess it's gone now, can't find it anymore...

#16 ANF

ANF

• 29,542 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 21:33

Here's a proper divebomb.

#17 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 21:44

Good lord. The mother of overtakes. I thought I had already seen many things, but not that one.:)

#18 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 22:12

A large emphasis on clean racing should be placed on the modern good overtaker. A lot has been said about the "GP2 mentality" and it does ring true amongst some of the current F1 drivers. Last year's Korean race was a great example of the quality difference between the best and worst of F1 racecraft.

How to do it: Hulkenberg/Hamilton/Alonso:

Raikkonen/Grosjean:

How not to do it: Gutierrez/Maldonado:

Edited by Disgrace, 07 June 2014 - 22:13.

#19 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 23:21

One of the best overtakes I've seen ever! Good camera control too  :clap:

Advertisement

#20 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:42

MS Canada 2011...double overtake...