Raikkonen's Future?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:43

An interesting tweet here from Tobias Gruner of AMuS:

Rumours in Montreal paddock Ferrari might sack Raikkonen after this season. According to my info he's got a contract till end of 2015

Do you think this could actually be the case?

EDIT: Artista has subsequently pointed out that Gruner followed the above tweet with a clarification:

What I actually wanted to say is, that these rumors are rubbish cause Kimi got a contract till end of 2015. Nothing else.

Still, given that Ferrari have sacked Raikkonen before, and bearing in mind the institutional malaise and dodgy decision-making which seems to surround them at the moment, do you think the rumours might be closer to the truth than Gruner seems to think?

Edited by oligc94, 07 June 2014 - 13:11.

Advertisement

#2 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:45

I've stopped trying to predict what Ferrari might do.

#3 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:48

They would only sack him (again) if they had a much better option available (again). Vettel???

#4 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:49

This could be fun. Ferrari could actually end up paying Raikkonen more not to drive for them, than they paid him to drive :stoned:

#5 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:49

Ferrari should have signed Hulkenberg last year.

#6 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:51

2015: Ferrari - Alonso / Hulkenberg.  Force India - Perez / Bianchi

#7 DriveFastLiveSlow

DriveFastLiveSlow

• 299 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:55

Kind of early to predict, but Kimi needs to get his act together. Monaco was promising speed wise.

#8 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:58

Really not seeing that happening. Kimi will be with us for at least another year. Unless there's a chance to get Lewis, which there is none. Anything beneath that is just wasteful. IF Kimi or Fernando want to retire, then maybe we'll see Bianchi or maybe Hulkenberg joining as our younger 2nd driver.

Edited by Okyo, 07 June 2014 - 13:01.

#9 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:00

If this was true I'd think Ferrari would've always just tried to destroy KR's reputation since 2008... But yeah, I don't think this is gonna happen again and the rumour is just typical nonsense silly season stuff.

Edited by tommi34, 07 June 2014 - 13:06.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,449 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:01

Time to provoke the hornet's nest...

Ferrari's problems are obviously much deeper than their driver line-up, and sacking Kimi will solve nothing on that level. However, I honestly wouldn't mind at this point if Kimi was replaced because I suspect he's long past his best. My perception of Kimi is nothing like it was in his McLaren/early Ferrari days; the very idea of being accustomed to him struggling used to be alien, whereas now it is not.

Kimi has definitely had poor luck this year, and Monaco should have been a podium, so there is clear evidence he can deliver. My question is whether he will actually be better by the time Ferrari get their own act together. There are talented guys in F1 such as Hulkenberg who, IMO, deserve a big break. 

#11 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:03

This could be fun. Ferrari could actually end up paying Raikkonen more not to drive for them, than they paid him to drive :stoned:

This is not going to happen again, you can beat that Ferrari put some nice clausules in his contract and maybe his contract is 1+1 and not a solid 2 years like many people think.

I have nothing against Kimi but my opinion was always that they should have hired a young driver, someone that can learn the best things from Alonso and take the mantle when he retires or drop his form permanently.

In any case, it makes zero sense to start thinking about kicking Kimi out of the team after this season, is too soon, and there is plenty of time for Kimi to do better, unless the team never wanted him to begin with, something bizarre because they hired him again in the first place.

#12 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:04

The funny thing Alonso is leaving this season xD

Oh and this is the guy that said porsche wanted in...right, lets believe him

Edited by xmoonrakerx, 07 June 2014 - 13:05.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,797 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:05

Ferrari's problems are obviously much deeper than their driver line-up, and sacking Kimi will solve nothing on that level. However, I honestly wouldn't mind at this point if Kimi was replaced because I suspect he's long past his best. My perception of Kimi is nothing like it was in his McLaren/early Ferrari days; the very idea of being accustomed to him struggling used to be alien, whereas now it is not.

Kimi has definitely had poor luck this year, and Monaco should have been a podium, so there is clear evidence he can deliver. My question is whether he will actually be better by the time Ferrari get their own act together. There are talented guys in F1 such as Hulkenberg who, IMO, deserve a big break. 

Le Mans with Nissan or Indycar with Ganassi. Jesus Christ that would be good.

#14 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:05

@tgruener: @NicolaBILD What I actually wanted to say is, that these rumors are rubbish cause Kimi got a contract till end of 2015. Nothing else.

Knowing Tobi (he's a very, very prudent guy), what he wrote in this second tweet is what he rally meant

Edit: @$%&$ autocorrector deciding how to write first names

Edited by artista, 07 June 2014 - 13:10.

#15 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:06

Raikkonen's Future?

SNN1612AA--5321_1454356a.jpg

#16 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:08

The funny thing Alonso is leaving this season xD

Oh and this is the guy that said porsche wanted in...right, lets believe him

Where to? No place for him at Mercedes and RedBull seems occupied as well. Every other team would be a step back from where he is now.

#17 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:10

Where to? No place for him at Mercedes and RedBull seems occupied as well. Every other team would be a step back from where he is now.

Yesterday in the public tv spanish coverage Antonio Lobato (fonsos friend) said Ferrari priority must be to retain him...maybe im reading too much into this but I think he knows something we dont :D

#18 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:12

Sack him for what reason?

Whom who might be available do they think would do better?

That said, this just sounds like another daft rumour created by a reporter who probably wants some attention.

#19 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:14

Yesterday in the public tv spanish coverage Antonio Lobato (fonsos friend) said Ferrari priority must be to retain him...maybe im reading too much into this but I think he knows something we dont :D

Still the question remains. Where would he go if the only team that would be a clear step forward has two drivers and has stated that they are retaining them for another year. 

Same goes for this thread. Who would replace Kimi? These ideas about Hulkenberg and Bianchi are wasteful. Ferrari wont take a gamble on young talents.

Advertisement

#20 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:15

Sack him for what reason?

Whom who might be available do they think would do better?

That said, this just sounds like another daft rumour created by a reporter who probably wants some attention.

What the guy actually said is that the rumours are rubbish

Edited by artista, 07 June 2014 - 13:15.

#21 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:16

Still the question remains. Where would he go if the only team that would be a clear step forward has two drivers and has stated that they are retaining them for another year. 

Same goes for this thread. Who would replace Kimi? These ideas about Hulkenberg and Bianchi are wasteful. Ferrari wont take a gamble on young talents.

you are right :up:

#22 AlmightyGod

AlmightyGod

• 528 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:19

The only person that should be sacked at ferrari is Di Montezemolo. They would gain that elusive 0.5s by doing that alone  :)

Edited by AlmightyGod, 07 June 2014 - 13:21.

#23 Blanchimont2002

Blanchimont2002

• 199 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:19

Pretty sure Ferrari has more problems than it's drivers.

The car, for one.

#24 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:20

if Räikkönen doesn´t deliver, it can happen, why not? If there are many repeats of Australia and China, he might end up out of the team soon. I don´t think we´re heading that way though.

It´s happened twice in 6 races, and both very early. You never know but the struggles look over. The results still are not comming, but Ferrari are not stupid and they can see when the results don´t come because he´s not performing and when the results don´t come because stuff beyond his driving go wrong. He´s driving well recently so hopefully he´ll build on that.

#25 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:25

Kimi to McLaren-Honda you heard it here first.

But in all seriousness I think there is value for a team in having drivers who like the same sort of car. Means the team can develop in the same way. But for Ferrari this would mean finding a driver who likes the same sort of set up as Alonso. 

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,449 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:27

This whole discussion is potentially wasteful indeed as this is historically very true. However, I would not describe hiring Hulkenberg as a "gamble" as he has already delivered with the equipment presented to him for fast approaching three seasons now. Alesi by contrast was more of a gamble. Bianchi would certainly be a risky hire, but he is also a Ferrari Academy driver, and (hopefully) there should be pressure to cash in on the investment. Like RBR/DR and McLaren/MAG, you couldn't blame the team for justifying the existence of such a program.

Edited by Disgrace, 07 June 2014 - 13:28.

#27 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:27

Kimi is driving well and getting better each weekend, it would be such a bad decision to sack him especially if a decision was made this early.

#28 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:32

maybe when he binned it in aus he said on the radio "welcome to 2009" ?

#29 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:32

We don't know what Kimi's contract says. There could be an option on Ferrari's side even if Kimi does have a two year contract.

Ferrari are are not winning because the car isn't up to it, it's not the drivers fault. I wouldn't put it past Ferrari to let him go though given their history of scapegoating.

#30 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:34

Again it amazes me that so many people see things so narrowly...Kimi has had huge amount of misfortunes this season, Australia and China are the ones that we could honestly consider bad weekends from his part (and even in China he lost practice session entirely because of some problem with the car).

It would be absolutely ridiculous from Ferrari and ridiculous for anyone to say that Kimi should be kicked out...in Bahrain, Spain and Monaco he could match Alonso's pace, Malaysia we will never know, cause Magnussen ruined that race for him in very beginning. What they need now is to build strong car for their drivers, if anything FIAT should kick Montezemolo out and get some new, better leader there who has more modern view about things than Montezemolo who has old-kind of "lead through fear" kind of leadership idea.

Edited by Balnazzard, 07 June 2014 - 13:35.

#31 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:35

Pretty sure Ferrari has more problems than it's drivers.

The car, for one.

Completely agree with this. I thought that was the reason they got rid of Massa? To be able to say they have two world champions and if they aren't winning then it's down to them, not their line up. 

I find it hard to believe they would let go of Kimi when they kept Massa year after year of not being anywhere near Alonso. I'd have also thought Ferrari would have learnt from Raikkonen's previous stint that when they cater for his needs then he can fly as seen by his stint at Lotus... I don't think they will get rid of Kimi so soon.

#32 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:35

This whole discussion is potentially wasteful indeed as this is historically very true. However, I would not describe hiring Hulkenberg as a "gamble" as he has already delivered with the equipment presented to him for fast approaching three seasons now. Alesi by contrast was more of a gamble. Bianchi would certainly be a risky hire, but he is also a Ferrari Academy driver, and (hopefully) there should be pressure to cash in on the investment. Like RBR/DR and McLaren/MAG, you couldn't blame the team for justifying the existence of such a program.

Focus on the point of NOT who would and who wouldn't be a gamble, but on why Ferrari should make a gamble. I would agree if one of our drivers were going to retire OR wanted simply to leave. That's why Ferrari took a gamble on Massa. For now we got two more than good enough drivers that want to stay. That's why they wouldn't go for someone like Hulkenberg, as it's rather questionable if he's as good as Kimi.

Edited by Okyo, 07 June 2014 - 13:37.

#33 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:36

This is not going to happen again, you can beat that Ferrari put some nice clausules in his contract and maybe his contract is 1+1 and not a solid 2 years like many people think.

I have nothing against Kimi but my opinion was always that they should have hired a young driver, someone that can learn the best things from Alonso and take the mantle when he retires or drop his form permanently.

In any case, it makes zero sense to start thinking about kicking Kimi out of the team after this season, is too soon, and there is plenty of time for Kimi to do better, unless the team never wanted him to begin with, something bizarre because they hired him again in the first place.

Agree. We don't know what the contract situation is specifically.

Personally, I think it *is* time to start thinking about what to do for 2015, though. You cant just expect to be able to wait to the last minute and have best choice.

I say they do what they should have done last year and get Hulkenberg locked in as soon as possible. Kimi's not been awful by any means, but he's also proving to be fairly fickle and possibly not the consistent point scorer they were hoping for. Hulk would be cheaper and possibly better, along with being younger and possible future lead driver for the team once Alonso goes.

Kimi would still have options, I think. He's still a fine driver and would be a valuable asset for many teams. Possibly at McLaren again, maybe?

#34 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,034 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:36

Kimi is not going anywhere, kimi will stick around like your mother in law :wave:

#35 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:38

Raikkonen is closer to Alonso than Massa ever was, and now everyone wants Kimi gone?

They stick it out with Massa for 3 years too long, then Massa goes and continues to disappoint at Williams.

I think the problem is management.

#36 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:42

If Ferrari keeps making subpar cars it doesn't matter who they fit into it - so why sack Kimi?

#37 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:43

Raikkonen is closer to Alonso than Massa ever was?

That's extremely questionable. Point wise, he's probably worser than Massa ever was. Pace wise, he had his shines, outqualifying Fernando, but Massa has done it a lot of times. Last seasons quali count was pretty much close to equal as i recall. 

#38 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:45

Erm, on MovistarTV, they just talked about 'the rumour', which they also didn't give much credibility (which I would understand source is not somebody from Ferrari), but they tell something slightly different: they say the rumour is that Kimi might choose to leave the team

#39 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:46

If Ferrari keeps making subpar cars it doesn't matter who they fit into it - so why sack Kimi?

Because there is still the WCC standings to play for and because they might want to look towards the future as Kimi and Alonso are both not young anymore.

Edited by Seanspeed, 07 June 2014 - 13:46.

Advertisement

#40 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Seriously?? Though I agree his best years were at McLaren, his comeback year in 2012 was much better than all three of his Ferrari years, including his championship winning year.

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,449 posts

Focus on the point of NOT who would and who wouldn't be a gamble, but on why Ferrari should make a gamble. I would agree if one of our drivers were going to retire OR wanted simply to leave. That's why Ferrari took a gamble on Massa. For now we got two more than good enough drivers that want to stay. That's why they wouldn't go for someone like Hulkenberg, as it's rather questionable if he's as good as Kimi.

I think it should be pointed out that Massa was the archetype Ferrari Academy driver; he was under Ferrari contract and effectively loaned out to Sauber. He was also their test driver whilst testing still meant significant time in the car. In combination with the number one driver policy of the time, Massa's promotion to the Ferrari race seat can hardly be described as a gamble either. 

Obviously they are immediate uncertainties. Given Ferrari's current form, this to me is more of a question of the long term. What actually constitutes a gamble then changes. I would speculate that it's riskier to keep a driver who may be past his best by the time Ferrari are realistically in a position to win titles again. This would allow a potential future star to drive for a rival.

#42 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:47

Erm, on MovistarTV, they just talked about 'the rumour', which they also didn't give much credibility (which I would understand source is not somebody from Ferrari), but they tell something slightly different: they say the rumour is that Kimi might choose to leave the team

Well THAT could be more closer to truth....if Kimi doesnt feel happy with Ferrari he could just leave...but if he does I doubt he would change yet to another team. If/when he leaves Ferrari, I think he also leaves F1 behind for good. Anyhow, I highly doubt there is any truth behind this rumor one way or another and that Kimi drivers atleast until the end of 2015. Then again this is F1 and anything can happen....but I just see no point whatsoever to get Kimi just for 1 season and then considering to kick him out right after, especially since Kimi has clearly shown that he is fully capable of driving for the same positions as Alonso.

Edited by Balnazzard, 07 June 2014 - 13:52.

#43 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:49

Hmm well if true I wouldn't be surprised if he would choose to leave F1 altogether. I'd love to see him in a Mclaren by the way, Kimi + Mclaren just makes sense to me!

#44 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:50

he's also proving to be fairly fickle and possibly not the consistent point scorer they were hoping for. 

That´s hugely dishonest for anyone having watched the races, but then again, nothing surprising comming from your corner.  :rolleyes:

#45 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:51

Surely there are no legs to this. The one thing Ferrari have in their favour right now is the driver line-up. Unless there's a catastrophic meltdown in Raikkonen's relationship with the team I don't see why he'd leave, or why they'd want rid of him.

#46 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:52

I could see that Kimi has no need to fight for 6-10th place for another season.

#47 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:54

Ferrari is a good place to be. The team will move forward. Unless there´s some sort of bad relationship at some point, which I doubt, he should stay there.

#48 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,577 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:57

Ferrari is a good place to be. The team will move forward. Unless there´s some sort of bad relationship at some point, which I doubt, he should stay there.

Let's see what the rest of the year brings but maybe Kimi feels that since the departure of Domenicali he isn't receiving the support he was promised.

That's about the only thing I can think of right now.

#49 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:58

True, but then again no-one will know how things are going to be in 2015...other than Mercedes is most likely going to be the team which all others are trying to challenge. Anyways Kimi is most likely not going to be in the sport for more than 1-2, maybe 3 years max. As long as he feels that the team is moving forward, is happy with them and enjoys the racing, then he is not going to leave.

But ye, Kimi had good relationship with Domenicali and I think it was Domenicali most of all who wanted Kimi back to the team....now that he is gone, who knows how things truly are within the team, despite what is being said in public.

Edited by Balnazzard, 07 June 2014 - 14:00.

#50 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,449 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 13:58

Seriously?? Though I agree his best years were at McLaren, his comeback year in 2012 was much better than all three of his Ferrari years, including his championship winning year.

I also agree his comeback year was excellent, but there is no sense going into individual performances. My argument is this discussion is not as unreasonable as it once was, and perhaps this is justification enough for change if Ferrari thought they were hiring someone as indispensable as Alonso is regarded.

Edited by Disgrace, 07 June 2014 - 14:00.