* * * * * 1 votes

New 10 year deal for Montreal

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 16:07

New 10 year deal, around $32m worth of investment in pit/paddock facilities as well as a new race control tower. Great to see it given a new long term contract, 1 of my favourite races.

Advertisement

#2 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,814 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 16:44

no issues with this race getting a new deal

#3 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 16:57

Great news. Theses are the types of track that need to be on the calendar.

#4 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,564 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 18:25

Yep good news :up:

#5 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 18:28

It's nice to get some news that we can all agree is good.

#6 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 19:38

Great to have Montreal for another 10 years at least, it's one of my favorite races here!

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 19:45

I don't believe this was under any doubt, but welcome news nonetheless.

#8 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 20:02

Great news. May it stay on the calendar long beyond then too.

#9 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,344 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 20:16

Excellent news! :clap:

After 2009 I feared this GP could be in real trouble, so it's great to see it has it's future secured for long-term. :up:  Among with Shanghai, my favourite track of the calendar.

#10 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 20:35

All the new infrastructures should be completed in time for the 2017 race. That's according to Montreal's Mayor, Denis Coderre.

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 22:14

New 10 year deal, around $32m worth of investment in pit/paddock facilities as well as a new race control tower. Great to see it given a new long term contract, 1 of my favourite races.

No talk of investment in facilities for fans?

I guess that doesn't rank high on Bernie's list of priorities when signing new deals, as long as the rich people and race control have somewhere nice to sit I guess....

#12 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 22:32

I thought that the track and facilities were already in good shape?

Either way, for a change nice and positive news, one of my favourite tracks of the calendar !

#13 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 22:41

we dont know the price escolation either

#14 metz

metz

• 15,856 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:05

The track is on a sandbar and landfill in the middle of the St Lawrence River.

The constant settlement and severe frost heaving in the cold winter months, demands a lot of maintenance to keep it in top shape.

Given all that, the organizers have been doing a great job on the track over the years.

Well done and extension deserved.. :up:

#15 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:42

The pits definitely need enlarging to keep it up with more modern facilities, but otherwise the rest of the track is fine. A classic on the calendar - I just love seeing the cars dancing through those chicanes under the trees. And a fantastic track to spectate at, too. 

#16 D28

D28

• 2,016 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:10

Announcement by the local politicians mentioned a not insignificant $187m of taxpayers dollars invested from 3 levels of government.

With this public investment one would hope, but be disappointed that any of it would go toward better spectator facilities as mentioned above by johnmhinds. Adequate washrooms might be a start, but the improvements include a new control tower, I thought they just made substantial improvements to new paddock facilities, but the needs of Bernie and his VIP guests never stand still.

The race is undoubtably popular in Montreal, but outside the awareness and interest wanes considerably. The federal minister contributing most of the subsidy produced this whopper “This is the oldest Grand Prix outside of Europe" He would have been fed that line, but  the US GP dates from 1959 and Argentina before that, maybe he refers to continuously held event. Even then The Canadian GP missed at least 2 years since 1967, hard to say what he meant.

Anyway by eastern world standards the public investment is probably small, lets just hope it does indeed keep the race on the calendar for the near future.

#17 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,214 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 14:53

Good thing that Montreal will stay. 

And regarding oldest Grand Prix, Montreal circuit has held more Grand Prix's than any other non-European circuit.

Montreal 35

Interlagos 32

Suzuka 26

Kyalami 20

Watkins Glen 20

Buenos Aires 20

Indianapolis 19 (11 Indy 500+8 Grand Prix Circuit)

Melbourne 19

Sepang 16

Mexico City 15

For Interlagos and Suzuka this year is included, although races have not yet taken place. Did that to equalise things between three already-visited circuits this year and those.

#18 D28

D28

• 2,016 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:10

Good thing that Montreal will stay. 

And regarding oldest Grand Prix, Montreal circuit has held more Grand Prix's than any other non-European circuit.

OK as so often the minister's remarks require clarification, no of visits rather than chronological age. I would bet the farm that he has never heard of those other circuits.

#19 Cadence

Cadence

• 18,923 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:11

One question: 

Who's paying for it?

Edit:  Missed D28's post.  Looks like the Conservatives are shopping for votes in Montreal to the tune of $187M.  Metz, I expect to hear you voice in raised indignation over this flagrant buying of votes and misuse of the public purse at the hands of the Prime Minister!

At a time where the current government is downsizing healthcare transfer payments to the provinces this is unconscionable use of the public purse.  I'm a race fan and would hate to see F1 leave Montreal but, if the city and province can't make it happen on their own don't  ask the rest of the country to subsidize it.

Edited by Cadence, 09 June 2014 - 15:40.

Advertisement

#20 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 245 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:12

Great news. Theses are the types of track that need to be on the calendar.

Love this race and track, but I don't want to see too many tracks with no fast or medium speed corners to challenge that aspect of an F1 car.

Edited by zztopless1, 09 June 2014 - 16:16.

#21 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:51

Great city, great track. Excellent news.

#22 D28

D28

• 2,016 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 15:54

One question: 

Who's paying for it?

Edit:  Missed D28's post.  Looks like the Conservatives are shopping for votes in Montreal to the tune of $187M.  Metz, I expect to hear you voice in raised indignation over this flagrant buying of votes and misuse of the public purse at the hands of the Prime Minister!

At a time where the current government is downsizing healthcare transfer payments to the provinces this is unconscionable use of the public purse.  I'm a race fan and would hate to see F1 leave Montreal but, if the city and province can't make it happen on their own don't  ask the rest of the country to subsidize it.

The federal portion is the biggest at  $62.4 m, surprisingly larger than the provincial portion at $49.9 m.but adding in Montreal,  the Quebec total is $124 m all over 10 years.

Can't imagine a payout where the federal government will receive less credit, one reason they are not trumpeting it, I found out about it here. Not the appropriate forum for discussing Can political dealings. 

Edited by D28, 09 June 2014 - 17:07.

#23 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 17:08

At a time where the current government is downsizing healthcare transfer payments to the provinces this is unconscionable use of the public purse. I'm a race fan and would hate to see F1 leave Montreal but, if the city and province can't make it happen on their own don't ask the rest of the country to subsidize it.

No problem. The Grand Prix of Québec it is then.

#24 Cadence

Cadence

• 18,923 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:50

Fine with that.  Good luck without federal transfer payments.

#25 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:33

I thought that the track and facilities were already in good shape?

Either way, for a change nice and positive news, one of my favourite tracks of the calendar !

Far from it's, it's really badly run down and a bit 1991, I had paddock tickets last year and was stunned how half arsed the corporate areas were. Investment was needed, great to see a deal done. 

#26 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:14

Any of you locals have an idea of how much the city's economy suffered in 2009 when the race didn't come to town? That's the only year I've missed in the last 16, but walking anywhere in the downtown area during the race weekend makes me think that the investment is well worth it based on the volume of business done by the city's restaurants/hotels/shops.

#27 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:32

Any of you locals have an idea of how much the city's economy suffered in 2009 when the race didn't come to town? That's the only year I've missed in the last 16, but walking anywhere in the downtown area during the race weekend makes me think that the investment is well worth it based on the volume of business done by the city's restaurants/hotels/shops.

I'm not sure that these sort of calculations are always very reliable.  

The 2012 Olympics in London were supposed to generate massive income from all the visitors to the Games, but that completely ignored the fact that in summer London is already full of visitors (try getting a hotel room at short notice) and the Games visitors didn't frequent the theatres, some of which closed down during the Games for lack of bookings. In fact, the net income for London over the Games period was probably lower than usual.  Politicians like to trot out specious statistics to defend their expensive vanity projects but we really should take them with a big pinch of salt.  At best, they are total guesswork, at worst downright untruths.

Edited by BRG, 10 June 2014 - 11:32.

#28 Cadence

Cadence

• 18,923 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:32

They're not.  The $90M CDN the article cited is not supported by any concrete market analysis.

#29 EvilWarMachine

EvilWarMachine

• 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:36

My favourite track on the calendar. Hopefully this extension will finally afford me the opportunity of attending. :clap: