* * - - - 6 votes

2014 WDC handicaps - the going gets tough

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:10

6 races into the season and 13 to go. The WDC race is getting heated.

Reading the press and forums, it seems that common consensus is that pnly Rosberg and Hamilton are contending for the WDC since at this stage it appears that they have a vastly superior car.

From my perspective I don't see it that way - I think Hamilton has extremely low odds of winning the WDC as he has time and time demonstrated that he lacks the mental strength to contend for a WDC. (Again, I dont mean to offend anyone, this is purely my strong belief). In fact I see that his unravelling has already begun with his tantrums over the radio in Spain followed by his histrionics in Monaco. His qualifying in Canada is also telling.

Rosberg is an unknown quantity as far as WDC conetntion is concerned since this is his first time but I do think he has a much stronger chance than Hamilton as so far he has not demonstrated any mental flaws. He has so far driven very well within himself and been mentally strong ... again so far -- we'll have to see how he does as the season progresses and how he does at crunch time especially if/when he has Vettel and a resurgent Red Bull chasing him

At this point considering driver, team and car, I would give Vettel a very strong shot at the WDC - he has proven he has the mental strength, the team has proven that they can develop a car. He should be helped by the fact that Merc will try to support Hamilton and that would give him opportunities to gain ground. Of course that also means that his team should make him # 1 and have RIcciardo support him

So to me at this point, it is a between Vettel and Rosberg for the 2014 WDC. How their respective teams support them will have a major effect on their fortunes. Iff I was team Principal at either team I would 100% make them #1 and have Ricciardo and Hamilton support them starting right now. But we know that is not going to happen and there in lies the intrigue in the championship.  Time and time again teams fail to do so - If McLaren had unequivocally supported Alonso they would have 3 - 4 championships since 2007 but of course that did not happen.

But the purpose of this thread is to just have everyone state and discuss  their predictions/handicaps at this stage of the chanpionship and lets see how it turns out at the end of the year and how the predictions turned out.

Advertisement

#2 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,738 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:04

Personally, I think if Marussia throw all their weight behind Max Chilton, this championship would be long over, the other competitors would just not race out of shear fear of being lapped by mr talent himself Max Chilton. But if the contest was based on the most metrosexual haircut, Chilton would take 1st place ahead of Ericsson in every race, so he has a lot going for him.

Seriously, its between Hamilton and Rosberg, Mercedes will not throw their weight behind either because they have it in the bag, and why would RB throw their weight behind Vettel, when him and Ricciardo are pretty much equal on points and both have less than half of either of the Mercs. This season's intrigue lies in the battle for the first two spots and Ferrari/RB/Williams(if they are more consistent) for the remaining places at this stage

#3 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:32

You are giving Vettel a better chance of winning the WDC than Hamilton?

I'd like to know what good stuff you are smoking.

Even if the RB10 and WO5 were equal cars in performance, Vettel would still be the underdog because he is already about 74 points behind; equal to 3 wins.

#4 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:00

Unless Lewis Hamilton gets in the way of things the titles are in the bag for Mercedes. 

#5 RacingDuck

RacingDuck

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:14

Just an observation on who is getting more support from their team, I would think Merc would back Rosberg more than Hamilton, which I think they are doing; and in the RBR side I have a sneaking suspision that they are backing Ricciardo, at least here where in quali they turned his engine up to 100% and not Vettel's. (Feel free to correct me on that last part but thats what I heard while listening to Q3)

#6 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:41

What the..

#7 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:56

OP...whos the one in your avatar? Alonso?

#8 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:14

Every driver had very good chances to win the WDC, if he would be sitting in the Merc. From Maldonado to Chilton.

#9 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:16

Just an observation on who is getting more support from their team, I would think Merc would back Rosberg more than Hamilton, which I think they are doing; and in the RBR side I have a sneaking suspision that they are backing Ricciardo, at least here where in quali they turned his engine up to 100% and not Vettel's. (Feel free to correct me on that last part but thats what I heard while listening to Q3)

Vettel is on his last engine, hence the detune.

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:31

The only possibility how Vettel can still compete for the championship is that if for whatever reason neither Hamilton nor Rosberg competes during the rest of the year (injury/fall out with the team, get sacked) and they are replaced by Yuji Ide and Ricardo Teixeira, who both struggle to turn the car advantage into race wins.

Actually... there is one more option. Both Hamilton and Rosberg turn into [Insane Mode] and take each other out of the race in T1 in most of the remaining races, because they can't stand the sight of their team-mate clinching the WDC from them.

#11 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:36

Actually, Hamilton did a better job so far this year, since he retired in Australia beyond his fault and lost 25 points that day - but is only 4 points behind now. 

#12 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:37

The only possibility how Vettel can still compete for the championship is that if for whatever reason neither Hamilton nor Rosberg competes during the rest of the year

Food poisoning at the Merc team maybe yes... or something illegal appears to be on the car. 

#13 paipa

paipa

• 936 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:45

From my perspective I don't see it that way - I think Hamilton has extremely low odds of winning the WDC

Rosberg is an unknown quantity as far as WDC conetntion is concerned since this is his first time but I do think he has a much stronger chance than Hamilton as so far he has not demonstrated any mental flaws.

So to me at this point, it is a between Vettel and Rosberg for the 2014 WDC.

Stop opening these ridiculous threads and put your damn money where your mouth is. You can get a 3.1x return on Rosberg and 40x on a Vettel WDC. Go ahead if you're so clever.

#14 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:47

I pretty much disagree with every single statement in OP :stoned:  Except for that WDC battle is getting heated - it indeed is.

#15 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:54

With all due respect camberley, were you drunk or something when you posted that? The ONLY ways anyone not driving a Mercedes will win the title this year are:

Both drivers being out for at least 6 races due to injury/bans. Chance of that happening? Nil

Both drivers suffering at least 6 more DNF's each with 1 driver winning all 6 of those races. Chance of that happening? Small

The opposition suddenly having the sort of advantage Mercedes have had so far this season. Chance of that happening? Nil

So, in summary, there's basically more chance of Fred Flintstone winning the World Bin Emptying Championships in Malaysia than anyone other than Hamilton or Rosberg winning the title this season.

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 08 June 2014 - 09:56.

#16 2014wdc

2014wdc

• 271 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:25

So to me at this point, it is a between Vettel and Rosberg for the 2014 WDC.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#17 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:32

Hodor could win it if he was given #1 status!!! :rotfl:

#18 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:08

At this point considering driver, team and car, I would give Vettel a very strong shot at the WDC - he has proven he has the mental strength, the team has proven that they can develop a car. He should be helped by the fact that Merc will try to support Hamilton and that would give him opportunities to gain ground. Of course that also means that his team should make him # 1 and have RIcciardo support him

So to me at this point, it is a between Vettel and Rosberg for the 2014 WDC. How their respective teams support them will have a major effect on their fortunes. Iff I was team Principal at either team I would 100% make them #1 and have Ricciardo and Hamilton support them starting right now.

You have got to be joking. There is no other option. None of this makes any sense. Sebastian Vettel has exactly 0% chance of winning the championship, and I will not believe that anyone could possibly be delusional enough to believe otherwise.

Edited by Wander, 08 June 2014 - 11:14.

#19 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:51

Stop opening these ridiculous threads and put your damn money where your mouth is. You can get a 3.1x return on Rosberg and 40x on a Vettel WDC. Go ahead if you're so clever.

Your tone isn't very cordial but I can understand the ridicule - The topic being discussed is deterministic and at the end of the season there will be a definite answer

I do put my money where my mouth is and have done so in the past too - In similar situations in 2010 and 2012 I picked Vettel and Alonso over the rest of the field early in the season.

Merc still has to learn how to win hampionships - Red Bull knows how to - They were smart enough to back Vettel over Webber the last 4 years. Brawn knew how to win - he backed Button over Barrichello right from the start and if he hadnt done that, Vettel would have most likely won 2009 WDC. I think Rosberg is the favorite, but if Merc stumble they may just let Vettel and RB get by them

Again, the purpose here is to state your predictions/handicaps at this stage of the chanpionship and lets see how it turns out at the end of the year and how the predictions turned out

Advertisement

#20 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:19

Sorry but to go on about Merc possibly losing the title is delusional at best, especially going on about how to win the title. When you have a car that's SO far ahead of the rest, that the rest of the field know the only way they'll even win a race (let alone the title) is if both Merc drivers have some sort of problem, you don't really need to worry about having not had championship winning experience.

The options I gave above are the most realistic options around that might cause Merc to lose the title, and none of them are overly realistic anyway! Unless 1 of those things happens, a Merc driver WILL win the title, and quite honestly I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see the winner (and possibly even 2nd place) having at least double the number of points that 3rd place ends up with this season.

You really need to be honest with yourself, because in reality even if they don't pick a driver to focus on, there is absolutely no way in this universe (or any other universe) that a Merc driver won't win the title this season unless the things I said above actually happen.

Basically, in summary, there's no chance of anyone other than a Merc driver winning the title.

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 08 June 2014 - 17:22.

#21 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:21

Hodor could win it if he was given #1 status!!! :rotfl:

dude Hodor is too big for F1 :clap:

#22 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:42

Rosberg is strong, yes. Maybe stronger than some expected. But he has only beat Hamilton in Monaco (in very large part due to his pole position) and by default in Melbourne due to Hamilton's retirement.

At the moment, Hamilton seems like a shoo-in for the title to me. Rosberg might win a few more races before the season is over, but I don't think the situation is 50-50 at all.

Unless something major happens to shake up the order, or derail Mercedes' campaign, the drivers of other teams aren't anything near close enough to play a role in this WDC fight.

#23 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:46

I'm with you OP.  I'll back the bet for Vettel or Rosberg for WDC.  :D

You have to wonder at the fervent response to taking that stance.  If it is really as delusional and as big a joke as 'Chilton' winning, why all the fuss?  What I think is that Rosberg is looking a bit more scary these days and Vettel's impossible comebacks in '10 and '12 give the idea just enough credibility to garner a scathing rather than dismissive reaction. 

#24 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:49

Fervent response? 22 replies in 12 hours...... :)

#25 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 20:43

Great job by Rosberg today in Canada. He achieved the maximum in the circumstances and even better for him Vettel finished behind Ricciardo. He could have had 7 points more if Merc had made Hamilton #2 and not pressured him. Hopefully they don't regret it later.

From Redbull's perspective great race, but I have a feeling they will regret not making Ricciardo let Vettel through after the 2nd pitstop so that Vettel would have finished first and gained 10 points more including 7 on Rosberg.

Hamilton did as expected and blew an opportunity to collect points - An Alonso or a Vettel would have walked away from this race with a few valuable championship points - however Hamilton blew it by following to close, using extreme brake bias and cooking his brakes. There will be those who will see no fault with him and instead blame bad luck and the car so be it .. For Hamilton fans, the good news is that now that some pressure is off him for the WDC race and he is behind in points he will probably finish well in the next 2 races or then maybe not ...

So at the end of Canada, the way I see it Rosberg came out best and he should be happy

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 20:44

You should get a blog.

#27 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:45

Oh please, they should've made Hamilton #2 so he wouldn't race so hard to try to win to give himself the best chance of winning and regaining the championship lead? You really are a complete nutjob. Have you ever thought of checking into a mental institute? If not, it might be worth giving it a try, as I'd argue you belong there. So far in this thread you've come across as a complete loony.

#28 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:53

Easily the most bizarre thread of the season - if only because the reasons given why Rosberg should be the preferred driver for Mercedes are more or less exactly the reasons why RBR should back Daniel  :D

#29 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:56

Why is this bait thread still open and some great ones get closed?

#30 ATM

ATM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 22:03

Taking time to analyse a little bit the OP's idea, for what it's worth,  I can't see Vettel for a WDC contender this year -  considering he keeps on losing to his team-mate (for the time being, anyway). And Merc are still far, far away in front. Today's race was a real misfire on both cars, but that's not gonna happen every race, will it? And even like this, one crippled Mercedes managed to come home second. 

But then again, Vettel must now be very happy with the idea of a double-points finish in Abu Dhabi. 

And lastly, if the second place in the current championship table (i.e. Hamilton) is not to be considered a championship rival, then I propose to shift our attention to Sutil. Or, you know, just admit that this season belongs to Mercedes and deal with it. ...FFS, they won 6 races in a row, that's 1/3 of the season already.

#31 Asterion

Asterion

• 822 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 22:05

Vettel should start beating Ric first.

#32 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 22:15

I wonder. Rosberg will get one or two DNF for sure as well.

If I would need to pick someone outside Mercedes team to claim WDC, then it is Ricciardo, hands down.

The guy is owning Vettel at the very moment. He started 6th, Vettel 3rd, and still was the faster out of two. And he seems a bit more hungry than Vettela also. His Hulkenberg pass was wicked.

From Mercedes team.. i 've no idea. Rosberg seems a bit more intelligent driver, yet Hamilton is for sure faster (raw speed). Probably amount of DNFs will decide.

#33 camberley

camberley

• 438 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:45

Good race in Austria for Rosberg. Terrible for Vettel with the problems he had.

8 races down and 11 to go - Vettel is running out of time as the race keep counting down. Still not impossible for him to make a charge at the WDC but odds are lower. I would give Rosberg heavy odds to win the WDC followed by Vettel. Hamiton as usual under pressure messed up qualifying. With the pressure off, in the race he did ok and would be very happy with his performance. Rosberg will beat him toe WDC easily. Only threat to Rosberg remains Vettel. I would be betting heavily on Rosberg and some on Vettel at thsi stage

#34 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:48

Believe it or not, I actually think that the WDC battle is between Rosberg and Hamilton.

#35 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:49

Not trying to stir anything up but if you gave the Merc pair and the Red Bull pair the same car, I think Vettel would bring up the rear (Just my opinion)   :drunk: however he is still an excellent driver.

Edited by Farhannn15, 24 June 2014 - 04:03.

#36 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:23

Holy dooly

what a thread

#37 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:39

9148130.jpg

#38 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:40

At this point considering driver, team and car, I would give Vettel a very strong shot at the WDC

:rotfl:

But the purpose of this thread is to just have everyone state and discuss  their predictions/handicaps at this stage of the chanpionship and lets see how it turns out at the end of the year and how the predictions turned out.

My prediction:

WDC

1. Rosberg

2. Hamilton

3. Ricciardo (a long way behind)

The idea that Vettel will beat Ricciardo over a season seems unlikely, let alone that Vettel will challenge for WDC.  :lol:  :lol:

#39 Tosh

Tosh

• 411 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:27

8 races down and 11 to go - Vettel is running out of time as the race keep counting down. Still not impossible for him to make a charge at the WDC but odds are lower. I would give Rosberg heavy odds to win the WDC followed by Vettel. Hamiton as usual under pressure messed up qualifying. With the pressure off, in the race he did ok and would be very happy with his performance. Rosberg will beat him toe WDC easily. Only threat to Rosberg remains Vettel. I would be betting heavily on Rosberg and some on Vettel at thsi stage

You are watching some fancy championship, mate. In mine Alonso has double points every race and has a strong chance of winning the WDC!

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,323 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:46

If Red Bull want to win the championship they'd to focus on Ricciardo ASAP. He's got the momentum and the points advantage. It would still require a major implosion at Merc to beat either of them though.

#41 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:01

So wait, the OP actually bumped this thread after Austria? Ouch.

#42 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:26

Indeed. Not as bad though as him thinking Vettel still has any sort of chance of winning the title. This loony needs to be sectioned ASAP. More chance of me winning the title, and I'm not even in F1!

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 24 June 2014 - 08:28.

#43 AlmightyGod

AlmightyGod

• 528 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:29

6 races into the season and 13 to go. The WDC race is getting heated.

Reading the press and forums, it seems that common consensus is that pnly Rosberg and Hamilton are contending for the WDC since at this stage it appears that they have a vastly superior car.

From my perspective I don't see it that way - I think Hamilton has extremely low odds of winning the WDC as he has time and time demonstrated that he lacks the mental strength to contend for a WDC. (Again, I dont mean to offend anyone, this is purely my strong belief). In fact I see that his unravelling has already begun with his tantrums over the radio in Spain followed by his histrionics in Monaco. His qualifying in Canada is also telling.

Rosberg is an unknown quantity as far as WDC conetntion is concerned since this is his first time but I do think he has a much stronger chance than Hamilton as so far he has not demonstrated any mental flaws. He has so far driven very well within himself and been mentally strong ... again so far -- we'll have to see how he does as the season progresses and how he does at crunch time especially if/when he has Vettel and a resurgent Red Bull chasing him

So to me at this point, it is a between Vettel and Rosberg for the 2014 WDC. How their respective teams support them will have a major effect on their fortunes. Iff I was team Principal at either team I would 100% make them #1 and have Ricciardo and Hamilton support them starting right now. But we know that is not going to happen and there in lies the intrigue in the championship.  Time and time again teams fail to do so - If McLaren had unequivocally supported Alonso they would have 3 - 4 championships since 2007 but of course that did not happen.

The lack of ingenuity in the OP is what's unraveling. Time and time? Seriously, are you watching Formula 1 in an alternative universe?. Nothing was wrong in Canada, it was close and  he ended up less than 1 tenth off pole. I see, all of a sudden Rosberg is the one with the mental strength. Where was this mental strength when he was spinning haplessly in qualifying and ending up way off hamilton's pace?. 

Why on earth will Mclaren unequivocally support Alonso? It's not like he was dominating Lewis at the time, he was given a proper run for his money. 

I see in that alternative universe that exists mainly in your sub-conscious, Vettel who is having a miserable season, has no clue how the car works and doesn't know what formula he can use to beat his teammate, is your bet for a WDC?. Put your lunch money on it if you are that confident

If winning four races in a row to recover lost ground caused by a Mechanical failure isn't a demonstration of mental strength, then I don't know what is. Rosberg is definitely a challenger but the points lead is all skewed by Mechanical failures for Hamilton. Let's see how Rosberg will react to 2 DNFs as we get down to the business part of the season, then you can write all the psycho-analytic hocus-pocus you wish to write. All in all I get a feeling you will be neatly tucked under a rock somewhere munching on a tasty humble pie.

Edited by AlmightyGod, 24 June 2014 - 09:30.

#44 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:47

LOL was the OP looking to wind guys up?I mean,Benedict Cumberbatch has been on the podium more times than Vettel!He has no hopes,not with his luck,not with his driving and I daresay  the psychology to win.

#45 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 13:20

LOL was the OP looking to wind guys up?I mean,Benedict Cumberbatch has been on the podium more times than Vettel!He has no hopes,not with his luck,not with his driving and I daresay  the psychology to win.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#46 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:04

Max Chilton 2014 WDC

#47 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:28

Make Vettel #1?!

ROFLMAO

#48 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:40

Believe it or not, I actually think that the WDC battle is between Rosberg and Hamilton.

believe it or not, me too.

#49 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:56

Is this real life?

#50 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:39

This is a hilarious thread.

This thread would be funny in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009 as well as 2011 and of course, 1988......

Edited by George Costanza, 25 June 2014 - 03:42.