Photo

S.E Asian motor racing mystery 2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 skyphantom

skyphantom

• 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:55

In the 1969 Singapore GP (then run under F. Libre rules), a very smart-looking Can Am styled car called the Del-RSC Ford was driven by a George Katsu. His real name was Katsuomi Shiozawa. The car was supposedly based on a Lotus 30/40.

The MYSTERY : HK based expatriate racer John MacDonald used to race a Lotus 30/40 - it actually fell apart during an earlier Macau GP (Macau was/is a very rough track). He has said that he sold his Lotus 30/40 to a Mr. Schitzuwawa.

If this is the same car, does anyones know its history and where it is now?

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:03

There's some info on the MacDonald car in this earlier thread on the Hong Kong hillclimb championship:

http://forums.autosp...b-championship/

#3 skyphantom

skyphantom

• 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:28

Thanks Tim,

Angus Lamont wrote the following on 25 May 2007. However, would anyone know about what has happened to it since?

Hi Doug,

Here is what I know about John Macdonald's Lotus 30/40.

Purchased from John Dean in the summer of 1967 (John tested the car at Silverstone prior to purchase).
Raced at the Tunku Abdul Raman meeting at the Batu Tiga circuit, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 3 September 1967. Dropped a valve in practice and the welded up piston only lasted a few laps in the race.
Raced the following weekend at the Johor GP at the Pasir Oudang circuit, Johor, Malaysia where it broke a front upright during practice. Teddy Yip kindly lent John a Lotus 22 for the race itself.
Raced at the Macau GP on 19 November 1967 but the car suffered a radiator leak on lap 2.
Used at the Motor Sports Club of Hong Kong (MSCHK) hill climb that you have already noted. It may have been used at another hill climb venue where John got FTD but I can't confirm this.
Raced at the Fuji 300 Yomiuri Asian Challenge Cup, Japan on 24 March 1968. I don't know the result but it was a DNF.
Sold in Japan to Mr. Schitzuwawa, who was an organiser of the above race. He put his own body on the car. John commented "thus replacing the only beautiful thing about it"!

#4 skyphantom

skyphantom

• 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:12

Success - sort of ! There is a picture of the rebodied car at the 1969 Singapore GP in the latest issue of REWIND magazine - issue 023, viewfinder section, pg. 77. REWIND is a bi-monthly (either soft or hard copy) published in Singapore by Eli Solomon, author of "Snakes and Devils" - the illustrated history of the pre-F1 Singapore GP.

However, we still don't know of its history and current whereabouts.

#5 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 23:42

Raced at the Fuji 300 Yomiuri Asian Challenge Cup, Japan on 24 March 1968. I don't know the result but it was a DNF.

I have Japanese race report - including a photo of the car in question - if it's any use to you? 

#6 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 13:54

Also have another Japanese race (somewhat higher profile than the Yomiuri Challenge Cup Fuji 300...) later in 1968, where the same car competed. Photos and a bit more data, too.

#7 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:50

I'll take that as a no then...

#8 skyphantom

skyphantom

• 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:00

To PZR - please accept my apologies for not replying. I have only just now returned to this forum and was embarressed to see that you had replied to my posts. I never got the usual email alert that someone had added to this thread. Could someone explain to me how this could have happened?

PZR - if you are still willing to share your materials, I would love to see them.

#9 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:52

Success - sort of ! There is a picture of the rebodied car at the 1969 Singapore GP in the latest issue of REWIND magazine - issue 023, viewfinder section, pg. 77. REWIND is a bi-monthly (either soft or hard copy) published in Singapore by Eli Solomon, author of "Snakes and Devils" - the illustrated history of the pre-F1 Singapore GP.

However, we still don't know of its history and current whereabouts.

Snakes & Devils'? anyone know where I can get a copy of this book?

#10 skyphantom

skyphantom

• 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:01

Rob29 -you can try contacting the author Eli Solomon at:   Eli@rewindmagazine.com