Photo
- - - - -

Red Bull announces new "multi-year" agreement with Newey.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:38

And from this morning

Bad news for RB: Adrian Newey very likely will take a timeout from F1 after season. AMuS exclusive (in German): ams.to/Bk

Edit: Official announcement

Red Bull confirms new multi-year agreement with Adrian Newey: win.gs/UmuyOr pic.twitter.com/D4eJhpfN8Y

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:41

Bad news for RB: Adrian Newey very likely will take a timeout from F1 after season. AMuS exclusive (in German): http://ams.to/Bk

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener  3m

#F1 As AMuS reported earlier today, Newey will be working mainly for other projects but still be monitoring the F1 developement. 

via bing's translate:

HoweverNewey stays where he is. At Red Bull. But this is only a partial victoryfor the team. A break of the most sought after formula 1 constructors isincreasingly likely. Supposedlyit is already a done deal. Newey admits that therestrictive rules and regulations frustrated him. "You're at the car of less and lessopportunities to create the difference with good ideas. We are moving on a GP1-series."

Red Bull idea workshop instead of formula 1
Red Bull is holding the man who stand still a drawing board in his Office has on along leash. In the close to the formula 1 factory is just a technology center, whereRed Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz technical projects of all kinds will emerge. Theinnovative road car to the aircraft. Newey is to become the head of the workshopof the idea. With the silent hope that at some pointthe competition lacks and heruefully returns to Formula 1.

via translate

#3 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:42

Not that long ago, he said he was happy in RB and he wanted to stay in the team, few people believed him. I guess this is the proof he was telling the truth.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:49

This is a strange way of saying "Newey retires from F1".

#5 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:51

The next question is how long will RB stay at F1?

#6 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:52

By timeout Newey will still be consulted when ever they need him, if he takes break from F1 next season.

Either way Red Bulls wins here.

Prevents Newey going to Ferrari etc and they get Newey for the future.

Edited by BiH, 08 June 2014 - 14:52.

#7 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Sounds like they're letting him do what he wants just to stop him going to another team. He'll soon get drawn back in if they need him, reminds me of Rory Byrne's 'retirement' from Ferrari.

#8 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

so that's a ferrari-Byrne kind of deal. road (and other) projects, and a consultant on the f1 car.

what do you guys/girls think, will they promote James Key from STR?

#9 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:55

I don't get it, he's going to monitor F1 but mainly contend in other series with RB?

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 14:59

I don't get it, he's going to monitor F1 but mainly contend in other series with RB?

He might build boats or aircraft or space ships or whatever. Newey's interests extend beyond car racing, as for that matter do Red Bull's.

Edited by Risil, 08 June 2014 - 14:59.

#11 pRy

pRy

• 26,356 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:04

Eddie Jordon right again. In Monaco he suggested Newey would re-sign for Redbull but work on the boat project and also a Redbull supercar.

#12 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:13

So it's effectively Red Bull saying if Newey doesn't want to work day-to-day in F1, he won't be working with anyone else.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:16

Eddie Jordon right again. In Monaco he suggested Newey would re-sign for Redbull but work on the boat project and also a Redbull supercar.

You'd almost think he'd worked in Formula One before or something

#14 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:18

So it's a kind of "Patrick Head"-ish retirement?

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:27

Sounds exciting.   I recently did this as well and it is very rewarding.  Concentration on 1 project for too long, no matter how exciting, can become mundane. 

As for RBR, soon they will lose Sebastian also - maybe 2016.  It is looking like they will have a whole new face over there within a couple of years.  But you never can predict the future, so who knows.

#16 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:29

So the question is: where will Vettel go? Ferrari (disaster and no signs of change) or McLaren (see Ferrari) or Mercedes (but is there room for him)?

#17 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:30

So it's effectively Red Bull saying if Newey doesn't want to work day-to-day in F1, he won't be working with anyone else.

He's always wanted to do the America's Cup though for example, things like that, and anyway, if they can keep him even for non F1 projects, why not, why give another team the opportunity to benefit from his wisdom?

#18 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:32

This new deal would count as "gardening time"?

#19 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:32

A victory of sorts for everyone in F1

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:33

No doubt he has been offered a carte blanche with which he can whatever he wishes. The end of an era for F1 though... no Brawn, no Newey, no Bryne.

#21 jee

jee

• 1,289 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:39

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

#22 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:46

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

I just came here to write the same thing. They talk about announcing exciting projects in the future... either a road car or a Le Mans prototype.

#23 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:56

Can't also help but feel that Newey doesn't really have the desire to get his head around these new cars with the powerunits and other impacts. He's been vocal enough about not likening them, especially with the loss of the blown diffuser concept which he was the master of

#24 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 15:58

This is a strange way of saying "Newey retires from F1".

Exactly. Why are people reporting this like newey resigning as technical director? Its basically him stepping away from Formula 1, not completely but partially.

#25 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:01

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

isn't nissan (owner of infiniti) entering LMP1 soon? 

#26 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:05

Wel it is certainly true that Newy was at the Silverstone WEC round , it was on the PA several times tht he was having a look at the cars

Edited by mariner, 08 June 2014 - 16:07.

#27 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:13

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

And there is the VW connection.

#28 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:26

That would be awesome.

#29 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:29

Well it certainly would be interesting to see what Newey could do with other racing cars...

Overall Newey has achieved pretty much everything from F1...he managed to design 3 championship winning cars for 3 different teams, and overall the F1-life is quite hectic, needing to travel around the world, spending the rest of the time at factory...Completely understandable and respectable decision from Newey and Red Bull. For sure its end of one era in F1 where many of these lead-figures are one by one retiring from F1, but that's life and new, younger generation has to step in. I just wonder what this will mean for Red Bull's performance in upcoming years and how long will Vettel stay there if things start to go downhill.

#30 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:30

How much is this deal connected with loosing Peter Prodromou?

#31 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:31

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

if he's annoyed at F1's new energy efficient direction, he's not going to be interested in le man. what exactly can he do with the aero in le man that is so challenging? no, i see a red bull yacht or aircraft in his future. what ever he does red bull can just stick a logo on it and take the credit.

#32 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,193 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:32

As for RBR, soon they will lose Sebastian also - maybe 2016.  It is looking like they will have a whole new face over there within a couple of years.  But you never can predict the future, so who knows.

They got Ricciardo now. He looks very promising so far.

#33 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,893 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:40

Next weekend there will be an announcement in France - that announcement will make it quite clear where his attention is turning for the foreseeable future. 

x1.jpg

Edited by EvilPhil II, 08 June 2014 - 16:44.

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:44

Next weekend there will be an announcement in France - that announcement will make it quite clear where his attention is turning for the foreseeable future. 

So long as the answer is "Not Le Mans" I think you may be onto something. :D

#35 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,893 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:45

So long as the answer is "Not Le Mans" I think you may be onto something. :D

Well there is an announcement at Le Mans - and that will certainly either confirm he is or he isnt. 

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:47

I like your style

#37 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:14

They got Ricciardo now. He looks very promising so far.

Yes it could be Ricciardo and Vergne or Kvyat if Sebastian leaves - or they may bring in established talent if they feel it is too soon for the younger ones.  Newey consulting is likely sufficient to RBR retaining a good face in F1. 

I was not suggesting Sebastian would leave because the team would go downhill - they will likely be back in business this season at some point and next year.  It is just that Sebastian is going to very likely want a turn in the red car or some other team and his contract ends at the end of 2015.  So it is likely that RBR would no longer have either driver, Newey and perhaps others from the days of its first becomming a F1 champion constructor - and they move on to their first new era.  However, Seb could stay, Newey could consult heavily and in the end, we note nothing very different.  As I said, can't know the future.

#38 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:23

I think his decision is more reflective of the direction F1 is taking than might be apparent, there seems to be few places left in for truly innovative engineers.

#39 photon

photon

• 240 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:30

Can't wait to see Red Bull supercar.

Underwhelmed by the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, and La Ferrari.

Would be great to see a revelation in supercars much like the Tesla Model S has been in luxury cars.

Advertisement

#40 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:37

I just came here to write the same thing. They talk about announcing exciting projects in the future... either a road car or a Le Mans prototype.

And I just came here to comment on the guy who'd say about LMP1 :drunk:

#41 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:45

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

sailing boat i rekon

#42 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:47

Yes it could be Ricciardo and Vergne or Kvyat if Sebastian leaves - or they may bring in established talent if they feel it is too soon for the younger ones.  Newey consulting is likely sufficient to RBR retaining a good face in F1. 

I was not suggesting Sebastian would leave because the team would go downhill - they will likely be back in business this season at some point and next year.  It is just that Sebastian is going to very likely want a turn in the red car or some other team and his contract ends at the end of 2015.  So it is likely that RBR would no longer have either driver, Newey and perhaps others from the days of its first becomming a F1 champion constructor - and they move on to their first new era.  However, Seb could stay, Newey could consult heavily and in the end, we note nothing very different.  As I said, can't know the future.

I see no reason to think RBR would sink right down. They still probably have the highest budget of any team up and down the grid, they have a lot of talented peopke. They may no longer have Newey in full capacity but neither do their competitors either, so they're on at the very minimum equal footing. 

#43 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:53

Red Bull LMP1 incoming

Red Bull is in F1 for marketing. LMP1 is not even close in marketability.

#44 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:31

A bit more detail on Adrian Newey's new role here, from the BBC:

But Newey said he was taking a "step back" from F1.

"I've been in motor racing since I graduated," he told BBC Sport. "It's been a fantastic experience, it's what I've always wanted to do but now I feel it is time to take on some fresh challenges as well. I want to keep motivating myself.

"What I'd like to do is step back and become an adviser and mentor to the engineers.

"We'll look at the engineering structure we have now and renew the team later in the year and that will give me the space to get on with some other things."

#45 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:35

This season, Renault is the main problem when it comes to RB. If they would use better engines, they'd be fighting both Mercs. If Newey stays, they are cleared in the aero department and we might yet witness more and more RB titles in years to come, but it all depends on their engine .. or rather PU supplier to say so! :p

#46 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:36

Red Bull is in F1 for marketing. LMP1 is not even close in marketability.

So what has kept AUDI in one but not the other?

#47 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:39

So what has kept AUDI in one but not the other?

Maybe because their market is not the same?

#48 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:42

Maybe because their market is not the same?

No team has the same market as Red Bull, but AUDI's continued participation in Le Mans surely makes a case for it being a worthy technical challenge and marketing exercise.

Red Bull payed a guy to jump from outer space. There's no market for that. They just did it. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after LMP1, or even boat racing.

#49 ATM

ATM

• 1,074 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:46

...so, if Newey starts building boats/rockets/underground drilling thingamabobs, in how much time will RBR feel the downturn? 

Of course Horner's gonna keep at it with "depth of the team, not just one man etc" but let's face it, Newey was the core of the aero department. If he will not be implicated as close as he is now, surely the team will suffer -otherwise, if the results would be the same without his active and constant implication,  it would mean that Newey did not actually bring that much  value with the team.  Can Red Bull, as a conglomerate, afford to further sink the F1 team's results for boat racing? I was thinking that F1 had greater marketing impact than boat or LMP results. 

#50 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 21:47

I think his decision is more reflective of the direction F1 is taking than might be apparent, there seems to be few places left in for truly innovative engineers.

Is this news though? I'm sure some would argue 2009 was won on the basis of the definition of the word "hole". Winning under the recent set of regulations has also required innovative lawyers.