* * - - - 5 votes

Vettel calling his RB10 a cucumber

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#101 A310V6

A310V6

• 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:39

20 % frustration comes from the car, 80 % because he gets beaten by his teammate.

Alonso & Kimi, these guys have reasons to complain, the control unit for the power delivery on their  Ferrari  looks like a random generator.

Advertisement

#102 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:43

I think people have to realize first that he said it in german AFAIR. And there 'gurke' is a common word to say that it's slow. And he only said it about the straight line speed where slow is an accurate description of the RB/Renault engine.

Big whoop about nothing. You guys need to chill a second.

That's basically it. Not much more to say.

#103 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 572 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:56

Bah... you serious guys ?

What I will hear next, that calling his car like that was a compliment, perhaps ?  :rotfl:

Ansa, Gazzetta, Rai, Repubblica, and many others... we are talking about top-level sources... they are ALL wrong to think that VET was a bit harsh towards his team ?

What about when the german press suggested Michael, in 1998, to "leave that red cucumber" ? That was also a compliment ?

Ok, fine, to each his own.  :)

Maybe it's just a slow news day then. I shall fly over there and steal a pizza so they have someting proper to write about. :up:

#104 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,555 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:59

Italian media proper sources, I had a good laugh  :rotfl:

#105 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 343 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:16

Marko excused Vettel for any signs of mounting frustration, including the description of the RB10 as a ‘cucumber’.

‘If we do not give Seb a car capable of winning, we cannot be angry with him for being disappointed,’ he told Bild newspaper.  :D

LdM should take that as an example. Alonso complained about the car by the end of 2013 (in its third or fourth year of shitness) and not afther the 7th race of 2011 and still he dared to tweak Alonso's ear instead of saying, "he is so right in being angry and we apologize."

#106 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 21:22

Did he say "cucumber" or "gherkin"? - because if it was the latter he really would be in a pickle!

#107 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 22:41

cucumbersome

#108 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:52

Weird. I thought Kartikeyan was cucumber in Vettel's eyes when he was in a top notch car. Now he's calling his car cucumber. No wonder he didn't come up with any pre season names for his car. 

#109 tghik

tghik

• 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:48

I think people have to realize first that he said it in german AFAIR. And there 'gurke' is a common word to say that it's slow. And he only said it about the straight line speed where slow is an accurate description of the RB/Renault engine.

Big whoop about nothing. You guys need to chill a second.

His "I'm not here to finish second or third" shows the true intent, he was venting, which firstly is not ok only after few races and secondly shows how spoiled he is. He is complaining about second or third. really ? having 2nd best car on the grid, complaining about that ? how about having fifth best car ? Others are in worse cars for years ... If I was RBR designer, I would not like those words, pouring the sweat every day

#110 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,555 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:55

His "I'm not here to finish second or third" shows the true intent, he was venting, which firstly is not ok only after few races and secondly shows how spoiled he is. He is complaining about second or third. really ? having 2nd best car on the grid, complaining about that ? how about having fifth best car ? Others are in worse cars for years ... If I was RBR designer, I would not like those words, pouring the sweat every day

what the hell? what is spoiled about the will to win, this sentence was dropped by every top driver, they want to win, nothing else, second place is the first loser, that's the attitude to win championships, and nothing is spoiled about it. But we know your opinion about Vettel. Did you ever write something positive about him? 

#111 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,456 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:56

I don't know why Vettel feels he deservers the best car. He's driving the second best car on the grid and a race winning one at that. Get the job done. Every driver bar Hamilton and Rosberg would kill to be in that RB10.

#112 Acathla

Acathla

• 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:11

Actually I expected this. A year with a lesser car and Vettel starts moaning and complaining. Tough luck Seb! 

#113 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:28

Well, I have hear drivers complain in the fastest car so....

#114 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 131 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:38

He complained about his car's topspeed. So what's the problem?

He couldn't get past Hulkenberg even with DRS although he was much faster than him (in corners). Ricciardo had the same problems with Perez, before Perez suffered his brake problems. I can understand his frustration, because after the first pitstop he was 10 seconds ahead of Ricciardo and would've won the race easily. 

#115 tghik

tghik

• 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:44

Let me reverse this thinking. Till now Vettel didn't deliver so Horner has also the right according to your logic to complain about it.d So if Horner says "Vettel doesn't deliver he is outpaced and outqualified by Ricciardo". So what's the problem ?

#116 CommonSense

CommonSense

• 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:52

Actually I expected this. A year with a lesser car and Vettel starts moaning and complaining. Tough luck Seb! 

In 2009 Hamilton repeatedly complained very early on that the car was the worst piece of crap he's ever driven and that didn't have nearly the scrutiny of Vettel pointing out the fact that the Red Bull this year is completely useless on a long straightaway.

Edited by CommonSense, 11 June 2014 - 14:53.

#117 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 250 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:34

Kate's dirty cucumber?

#118 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 230 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:42

He couldn't get past Hulkenberg even with DRS although he was much faster than him (in corners). Ricciardo had the same problems with Perez, before Perez suffered his brake problems. I can understand his frustration, because after the first pitstop he was 10 seconds ahead of Ricciardo and would've won the race easily.

Red bulls have lacked top speed for years, but I didn't hear Vettel complaining in 2011 or 2013. Why does he bring it up now? It's nothing new.

I think he is just frustrated that he is being beaten by his teammate and is desperately looking for excuses.

#119 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 230 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 17:45

Ricciardo was smart and saved his tyres so that he could pass Perez at the end of race. Vettel on the other hand was too impatient and destroyed his tyres trying to pass Hulkenberg at the hairpin. If Vettel had been a little more patient he could have passed Hulkenberg towards the end of the stint and gone on to win the race.

Advertisement

#120 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,006 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 19:12

Red bulls have lacked top speed for years, but I didn't hear Vettel complaining in 2011 or 2013. Why does he bring it up now? It's nothing new.

I think he is just frustrated that he is being beaten by his teammate and is desperately looking for excuses.

I agree that RBR have low top speeds throughout. However, it was not a problem then, but it became a problem recently, and so he complained. You're saying he shouldn't point to obvious potential improvements? He did during some races in 2012 as well when he won the WDC, and i could be wrong, but also did last year. Then again, continue bashing a driver, without reading much about what they said/ did.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 11 June 2014 - 19:15.

#121 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 19:14

Why should he complain if things worked out?

And the power gap between Renault and Mercedes was never bigger than this year.

Sure, the internet is full of hyperbole.

#122 tghik

tghik

• 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 20:54

what the hell? what is spoiled about the will to win, this sentence was dropped by every top driver, they want to win, nothing else, second place is the first loser, that's the attitude to win championships, and nothing is spoiled about it. But we know your opinion about Vettel. Did you ever write something positive about him? 

My opinion about Vettel has nothing to do, the thing is I say what I judge action by action. The things I say is based on my analysis, and even if I am a fan of a driver I will say negative as well, for example I was a fan of Villeneuve and guess what my analysis tells me he was not the best. So what I think about Vettel has nothing to do here, I just say what I think about him complaining about the car. If he says something I like I will complement, but here if I was the designer of his bolid, after those words I would simply be angry. I am doing all I can to do the best car possible, if he thinks my design is "cucumber" then I would simply respond to him "maybe there are better designers than me, you are free to look around and change the team and find better cars that would allow you to not drive 2nd or 3rd as in your complaining. At this moment you are not driving as the 2nd or 3rd best driver either" !!!!

#123 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:06

others had to drive cucumbers in the last years while he was raising his finger and winning.

wheels turn, now his car isn't the best by far. It's the second best car though, so he can't complain a lot. Yes he was stuck behind FI with a worse engine. Imagine if that FI had his chasis...

#124 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:12

Vettel: "With our cucumber we can do nothing on the straight lines. There's still a lack of power... and it's frustrating."

Wow.

I don't think the RB10 is the cucumber. Look what Ricciardo is doing with it.

In German kindergartens children sing a song to words of:"Who calls names is it himself!" There is truth in the words of little children.

#125 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:17

Did he say "cucumber" or "gherkin"? - because if it was the latter he really would be in a pickle!

Gurkn!

....not gherkin  :drunk:

#126 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 468 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 21:34

In 2009 Hamilton repeatedly complained very early on that the car was the worst piece of crap he's ever driven and that didn't have nearly the scrutiny of Vettel pointing out the fact that the Red Bull this year is completely useless on a long straightaway.

First, a warm welcome to the forum!

Second, why does Hamilton have to be brought into this? He gets just as much, if not way more scrutiny from the media, not to mention it's quite a stretch to compare the 2009 Mclaren with the 2014 Red Bull. The Red Bull is the 2nd best car.

#127 FNG

FNG

• 3,158 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 22:02

My issue is not so much what he said but the fact that he just came off 4 straight titles due to the fact that RB and Renault gave you an excellent car. Suck it up buttercup. Can't always have the best car. I was very curious during his run of titles what he would be like when he wasn't at the front. It's easy to be humble when you're winning...

#128 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,751 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:10

So who's doing the next podium interview?

Benedict Cucumberbatch

#129 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 372 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:37

except his team mate hadn't just won a race in the very same car or been consistently better than him so far that season.

#130 slideways

slideways

• 3,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:01

I thought blackmailing team bosses or lying to stewards about fellow drivers was bad but transforming a harmless vegetable into a somewhat amusing insult is just taking it to another level of evil. 

:mad:  :mad:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

#131 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:07

Red Bulls have always been slow in a straight line, a Newey choice, downforce trumps speed every time...

#132 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,851 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:23

For those of you jumping to the defense of Newey and his aero guys, Vettel was referring to his power unit.

#133 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:40

For those of you jumping to the defense of Newey and his aero guys, Vettel was referring to his power unit.

He was complaining about his speed down the straights - Red Bulls have always been slow down straights, Newey's choice. Vettel's is a purely subjective measurement, one which derives from the fact that his team-mate beat him, several times; what seems to have escaped Vettel's notice is, that his team-mate has exactly the same engine...

#134 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:29

He was complaining about his speed down the straights - Red Bulls have always been slow down straights, Newey's choice. Vettel's is a purely subjective measurement, one which derives from the fact that his team-mate beat him, several times; what seems to have escaped Vettel's notice is, that his team-mate has exactly the same engine...

Ric had the same problems to overtake. Of course, he is less likely to complain about anything since he now has the time of his life.

#135 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 598 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:15

Well, McLaren has mushroom suspension. Now Red Bull has a cucumber engine. :)

#136 Option1

Option1

• 12,964 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:29

Aye, it's a right pickle it is.

Neil

#137 grichka

grichka

• 55 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 00:23

On-board race edit by Canal+

http://www.canalplus...tml?vid=1086467

Vettel passes Perez at 24m15s. This car had no right to pass Merc-powered cars  in normal situations.

Edited by grichka, 13 June 2014 - 00:23.

#138 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:42

That is a total non story. "Gurke" is often used to describe a slow car in German.

#139 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,461 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 13:09

Excuses excuses excuses for Vettel. He can't handle the car yet his teammate outclassed him big this season. I seen drivers especially former champions that took cars that were dogs and made the best of it. Ayrton Senna in 93 McLaren, Damon Hill in 97 Arrows, even Jacques Villeneuve in 99 BAR and despite 0 points his drives look good despite the car breaking down. What I see in Vettel is a paper champion who can't handle no longer being top.

Advertisement

#140 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 895 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 13:14

VET made a funny remark about his car being slow in a straight line. He grinned while he said that, and here we have this thread now. Uber-pathetic. VET-haters-in-full-force.

#141 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,549 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 14:51

http://www.bbc.com/s...rmula1/27830986

#142 Brackets

Brackets

• 123 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 15:00

VET made a funny remark about his car being slow in a straight line. He grinned while he said that, and here we have this thread now. Uber-pathetic. VET-haters-in-full-force.

While he clearly chose his words in jest (and I pity the fools who pickle, ehr, pick on him for that), he did manage to drive home the underlying point, namely that – he thinks that - his car sucks, be it straight-line speed or whatever (I know a guy with a rather big smile who might disagree, but I digress). Surely you’d appreciate the thought that such open criticism might not sit well with the people paying the bills, nor with the people trying to sell French cars by slapping their name on said gherkin (yesyes, it actually says Infinity or something equally funny). Do you have any idea how hard it is to sell French cars WITHOUT such criticism!?

#143 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,982 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 15:46

Buttoneer's already given one warning about sticking to the topic. That I've just removed a long discussion about the cars of 2006 *really* makes me think there's not much more to be said on this. However, we do try to keep topics open where possible so -  last chance.

#144 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 683 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 00:19

Well if you are in Vettel's position, having enjoyed great success driving great cars for 4 years straight, you are the last person who should be complaining. It's a little disrespectful to the team. It's a character flaw of his. Im sure many drivers would jump at the chance to drive this "Cucumber" of his.

Edited by f1RacingForever, 14 June 2014 - 00:20.

#145 DKMoto

DKMoto

• 175 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:43

I love the F1 media. No race this weekend to cover? Just create some stupid headline to get some clicks and take attention away from World Cup.

Maybe they should hire me

My Example:

HE CALLED HIS CAR WHAAAAT? FIND OUT WHAT VETTEL CALLED HIS CAR, CLICK HERE NOW.

#CUCUMBERGATE IS ACTIVE FOLKS, THE PADDOCK IS ABUZZ AND RUMOURS ARE CIRCULATING ON WHAT VETTELS
POWERFUL WORDS WILL MEAN TO THE F1 COMMUNITY

CLICK HERE TO READ REST OF ARTICLE (PowerSuperAlpha++Gold members only) REGISTER HERE only 19.99 a week

#146 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 598 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:48

I love the F1 media. No race this weekend to cover? Just create some stupid headline to get some clicks and take attention away from World Cup.

Maybe they should hire me

My Example:

HE CALLED HIS CAR WHAAAAT? FIND OUT WHAT VETTEL CALLED HIS CAR, CLICK HERE NOW.

#CUCUMBERGATE IS ACTIVE FOLKS, THE PADDOCK IS ABUZZ AND RUMOURS ARE CIRCULATING ON WHAT VETTELS
POWERFUL WORDS WILL MEAN TO THE F1 COMMUNITY

CLICK HERE TO READ REST OF ARTICLE (PowerSuperAlpha++Gold members only) REGISTER HERE only 19.99 a week

For some reason I can't click on your links. How do I subscribe?

#147 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 19:23

Ricciardo was smart and saved his tyres so that he could pass Perez at the end of race. Vettel on the other hand was too impatient and destroyed his tyres trying to pass Hulkenberg at the hairpin. If Vettel had been a little more patient he could have passed Hulkenberg towards the end of the stint and gone on to win the race.

The only reason Ricciardo could pass Perez was Perez's brake problem, without that the RB was powerless against the force india. FI drove away without DRS against RB with DRS wide open. Ricciardo lucked into this win 3 times. First Vettel stuck behind Hulkenberg allowed him to close the gap to vettel. Second Perez having a brake problem allowed him past. Third Massa destroying his chances with a faster car.

However, you have to grab the oppurtunities given, and Ricciardo did that, so good job, no problem. But it doesn't change the fact that Vettel is right and the RB is way to slow on the straigth.

#148 Option1

Option1

• 12,964 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 21:51

For some reason I can't click on your links. How do I subscribe?

Should you continue having difficulties accessing the online version of the stories, then please consider purchasing the hardcopy.  It's available from all good greengrocers, the fruit section of most reputable supermarkets, and roadside stands in many farming communities.  Oh and apparently also available from Red Bull F1 headquarters, but I think they bump up the price considerably.

Neil

Edited by Option1, 15 June 2014 - 22:01.

#149 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 598 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:19

Should you continue having difficulties accessing the online version of the stories, then please consider purchasing the hardcopy. It's available from all good greengrocers, the fruit section of most reputable supermarkets, and roadside stands in many farming communities. Oh and apparently also available from Red Bull F1 headquarters, but I think they bump up the price considerably.

Neil

Thanks. Will look out for that. Will a courgette do?

Edited by Maustinsj, 15 June 2014 - 22:20.

#150 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:40

Petulant child.

Riccardo had no problem taking his cucumber with both hands and gracefully slotting it into P1.

What's vettel's excuse?

Edited by SR388, 16 June 2014 - 11:43.