- - - - -

Drivers who will not get an F1 seat next year

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:45

Marcus Ericsson - Caterham is being sold, so I doubt there is much hope for him.

Both Sauber drivers - the most appalling and mediocre line-up in Sauber's history.

Advertisement

#2 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:49

If it wasn't for Esteban's money, Sauber would supposedly already have folded

#3 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:21

Lewis Hamilton.

#4 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:22

Ericsson - he reminds a lot the kind of driver, who hangs around for one single season at the back, disappears and will barely be remembered after many years.

Kobayashi - Caterham's future is unclear, but chances are they'll have an all-new line-up again as Kobayashi is not likely to raise a lot of money.

Chilton - fat wallet for sure, but usually even that doesn't allow drivers to hang around forever as one day money dries out.

Bianchi - beating Chilton, but we could get closer to the "move up or disappear" time too, like Kovalainen or Glock faced. Third year at the back? Or does anyone further up the field take him? Other than Ferrari support he doesn't seem to have a big wallet and Ferrari may decide enough is enough.

Maldonado - lots of rumours that Venezuelas new politics sees PDVSA to pull out of motorsports altogether, which certainly would be curtains to the underperforming Pastor.

Sutil - hanged around in midfield for a while. By now he has even lost the "solid midfield points collector" aura he had around 2010-2011. Remember, many were disappointed he lost his seat after an impressive 2011. But his career has peaked and he is not really a significant addition to teams any more.

Gutierrez - unspectacular, can deal with Sutil, but about among the bottom 6 drivers on the grid. Telmex could decide to keep supporting only one Mexican, which would more likely be Perez in the future? As with others, even paydrivers' money dries out one day.

Vergne - Ricciardo's performances put a better perspective on Vergne's past seasons and the decent STR car has enabled Vergne to get some points on board this year, but he is not convincing against Kvyat. Considering STR has sent several drivers away as they didn't consider them future stars, Vergne really isn't one either and time for Red Bull to promote another potential future talent.

Then there are others about who a question-mark may arise too. Like Perez. Or if Massa didn't have a multi-year-deal, in Williams you'd surely at least consider whether to hire some younger driver with future potential. And of course it is not clear, what McLaren is going to do with Button though it seems by beating Magnussen he is likely to earn another season. Raikkonen I think is safe, even if people debate about it in another thread.

#5 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,920 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:28

Both Sauber drivers are surely out after this year. Sutil has the air of someone who has peaked and no longer has any direction; Gutiierez has surely shown enough (i.e. that he's never going to be anything more than an avergae F1 driver - yes, a damn sight better than you and I, but in F1 terms not quite good enough).

Ericsson looks like a Patrick Friesacher/Nicolas Kiesa/Paolo Barilla type of driver and he'll be counting himself lucky if he isn't replaced by either Frijns or Rossi later in the year.

Chilton, surely.

Vergne may not have a choice about it although who is next in line for STR? da Costa again? Sainz Jr? There again, if Vettel leaves RBR who knows? I presume Kvyat would be promoted ahread of Vergne so maybe the latter stays on for continuity's sake.

Maybe Button if McLaren sign either Alonso or Vettel?

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:32

Everyone who brings money is in a good position unless someone is out there with more money. So a lot of the names listed are safe.

#7 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:34

Both Caterham drivers. Even if they are not sold, I'm sure they will replace both drivers for ones with a bigger budget.

Vergne - He's actually doing a great job this year but his season has been masked by unreliability unfortunately. He's outqualifying Kvyat by significant margins. But I don't think Toro Rosso will keep him on because they will want to try someone new. But now that Ricciardo is here to stay at Red Bull, what is the point of having Toro Rosso for the next few years?

Sauber drivers - Sauber will probably collapse this season, if not then I can see either driver staying unless someone else brings in more cash.

Potentially Maldonado if his funding is cut. 

#8 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:37

Everyone who brings money is in a good position unless someone is out there with more money. So a lot of the names listed are safe.

Good position maybe right now, but what about future? That's where they aren't safe.

Money situation changes too. Petrov had a lot to bring with him for 2010, but two years later he had ran out of money (sort of) and dropped out of Renault/Lotus/whatever and barely got into Caterham. After that year he didn't even have enough money to stay in Caterham.

Last year van der Garde was supposed to be a paydriver with significant backing, but he dropped out.

Hence Chilton, Gutierrez, etc are not safe. Someone with greater money may come along, but their sponsoring company priorities may change too. Paydrivers come and go, much more easily than already established stars.

#9 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:40

Lewis Hamilton.

:down:

#10 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:41

Sutil

Gutierrez

Maldonado  

#11 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:43

Surely Sutil and Gutierrez. Sutil was never going to even be Massa-calibre, yet he has managed to stick around season after season to deliver perpetual mediocrity. Gutierrez was brained by Hulk and now he is just keeping up with Sutil.

Chilton and Ericsson are the typical Albers style rear of grid cowboys who change each year.

#12 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:06

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:28

Chilton doesn't just have money, his dad apparently owns a significant stake in Marussia. That probably makes him more safe than most pay drivers, even if they can bring a Maldonado sized budget.

#14 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:32

Chilton doesn't just have money, his dad apparently owns a significant stake in Marussia. That probably makes him more safe than most pay drivers, even if they can bring a Maldonado sized budget.

Maldonaldo sized budget is apparently quite mega.

#15 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:44

I should of worded that better. Indeed Maldonado brings a big suitcase of $100 dollar notes, but if he came knocking on Marussia's door it won't be Chilton getting the boot. There's a big advantage if your father is on the board.

#16 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:44

Wasn't Leimer reputed to be unable to get a seat for $14m? It'll take good money, not just money...

#17 MrMan

MrMan

• 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:52

Ericsson - he reminds a lot the kind of driver, who hangs around for one single season at the back, disappears and will barely be remembered after many years.

Kobayashi - Caterham's future is unclear, but chances are they'll have an all-new line-up again as Kobayashi is not likely to raise a lot of money.

Chilton - fat wallet for sure, but usually even that doesn't allow drivers to hang around forever as one day money dries out.

Bianchi - beating Chilton, but we could get closer to the "move up or disappear" time too, like Kovalainen or Glock faced. Third year at the back? Or does anyone further up the field take him? Other than Ferrari support he doesn't seem to have a big wallet and Ferrari may decide enough is enough.

Maldonado - lots of rumours that Venezuelas new politics sees PDVSA to pull out of motorsports altogether, which certainly would be curtains to the underperforming Pastor.

Sutil - hanged around in midfield for a while. By now he has even lost the "solid midfield points collector" aura he had around 2010-2011. Remember, many were disappointed he lost his seat after an impressive 2011. But his career has peaked and he is not really a significant addition to teams any more.

Gutierrez - unspectacular, can deal with Sutil, but about among the bottom 6 drivers on the grid. Telmex could decide to keep supporting only one Mexican, which would more likely be Perez in the future? As with others, even paydrivers' money dries out one day.

Vergne - Ricciardo's performances put a better perspective on Vergne's past seasons and the decent STR car has enabled Vergne to get some points on board this year, but he is not convincing against Kvyat. Considering STR has sent several drivers away as they didn't consider them future stars, Vergne really isn't one either and time for Red Bull to promote another potential future talent.

Then there are others about who a question-mark may arise too. Like Perez. Or if Massa didn't have a multi-year-deal, in Williams you'd surely at least consider whether to hire some younger driver with future potential. And of course it is not clear, what McLaren is going to do with Button though it seems by beating Magnussen he is likely to earn another season. Raikkonen I think is safe, even if people debate about it in another thread.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with this post!

I didn't realise Massa was on a multi-year deal with Williams, I would have thought Nasr would be in line to replace him next year.

#18 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:55

All racing drivers, bar 22.

#19 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:57

Vergne and Kobayashi are dead men walking. I can't imagine Ericsson getting another season either. Though I don't wish to see it, I think we'll lose Button before many of the pay drivers listed here.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 June 2014 - 13:00.

Advertisement

#20 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 13:22

I don't understand why Vergne is on the hot seat here. Ricciardo's success should highlight that JEV is actually quite good. And he dominated Kvyat this weekend. 

And for what it's worth, he's .342% faster so far this year in Gary Anderson's teammate speed comparisons, which is about the same advantage Alonso holds over Kimi.

Edited by tkulla, 10 June 2014 - 13:22.

#21 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 16:17

I didn't realise Massa was on a multi-year deal with Williams, I would have thought Nasr would be in line to replace him next year.

I was just going to say that I don't think Nasr will be in an F1 car next year. I think Williams was thinking Massa could still be a long term option to at the very least give Bottas a solid driver to learn from. 

Can other teams try to sign STR driver's? I mean none have looked truly bad in the history of the team. Yet, teams opt to hire a rookie than an STR driver in the last few years. I thought the likes of Alguesuari, Buemi, Vergne could be good options for a team like Sauber. Are their contracts that iron clad to the Red Bull Family? Can't believe there is anti-compete clauses preventing them from competing on another team the next season? You look at the team and while even with solid results (for which was once Minardi), once they get cut, they exit F1. Only 3 of the 9 drivers who've run for the team have run in F1 with another team. And only Liuzzi has raced for a non-Red Bull backed team. 

Edited by HaydenFan, 10 June 2014 - 16:23.

#22 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:00

I'd still give Vergne a shot at Lotus if Grosjean moves to a team like McLaren or Ferrari. He's still a French driver and Lotus still has a lot of French influence.

Nevertheless, Vergne is definitely out at Toro Rosso next season with Sainz Jr. coming in and three years being the absolute maximum in a Toro Rosso.

#23 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:05

I don't understand why Vergne is on the hot seat here. Ricciardo's success should highlight that JEV is actually quite good. And he dominated Kvyat this weekend. 

And for what it's worth, he's .342% faster so far this year in Gary Anderson's teammate speed comparisons, which is about the same advantage Alonso holds over Kimi.

JEV has raised his game without a doubt, but Kvyat has shown serious promise with some remarkable performances. The program is ruthless as proven by the ditching of Buemi and particularly Alguersuari. Marko doesn't care for "quite good" drivers, they're only after the next Vettel. If he stays in F1, another team will have to pick him up, but I can't imagine JEV has any other money behind him.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 June 2014 - 19:01.

#24 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:59

Is Nasr good enough? I have only seen a few of his GP2 races so genuinely no idea. 

#25 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:00

Both Caterham drivers. Even if they are not sold, I'm sure they will replace both drivers for ones with a bigger budget.

Vergne - He's actually doing a great job this year but his season has been masked by unreliability unfortunately. He's outqualifying Kvyat by significant margins. But I don't think Toro Rosso will keep him on because they will want to try someone new. But now that Ricciardo is here to stay at Red Bull, what is the point of having Toro Rosso for the next few years?

Sauber drivers - Sauber will probably collapse this season, if not then I can see either driver staying unless someone else brings in more cash.

Potentially Maldonado if his funding is cut. 

Maybe Vettel will look at other options?

#26 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:04

Button, Vergne, Gutierrez, Sutil, Maldonado, Kobayashi, Ericsson and Chilton.

#27 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:49

Yes, but Kvyat is a rookie and should not be compared ot Raikkonen - a WDC and a proved driver.

#28 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:00

Is Nasr good enough? I have only seen a few of his GP2 races so genuinely no idea. 

He seems to divide the board. He reminds me of Bianchi in that he came into GP2 with quite the résumé, but lost momentum quite quickly, if for slightly different reasons. Bianchi was wild whereas Nasr just doesn't seem quick or exciting enough. Both of them have won only one GP2 race apiece. Bianchi has more or less re-established his reputation in F1 though.

#29 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,580 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:00

Me. Most unfair. I've never crashed an F1 car or brought bad publicity to a team.

#30 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:05

Me. Most unfair. I've never crashed an F1 car or brought bad publicity to a team.

4,168 posts on Autosports forum. That is impossible. 

#31 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:07

Does Magrathea even have a planetary anthem?

#32 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:09

Telmex is probably going to drop Gutierrez at the end of the season, so yeah, there's that

#33 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:16

Chilton I hope.

#34 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,580 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:23

4,168 posts on Autosports forum. That is impossible.

They brought it on themselves.

Does Magrathea even have a planetary anthem?

Yes, but it's the music used for caller-on-hold and is designed to put all but the wealthiest potential clients off.

#35 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 20:28

Was thinking the same thing.... he might actually be better than SV in the other car :p

#36 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 23:46

Don't forget about the new team Forza Rossa. 2 of these drivers could possibly be going there

#37 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 00:10

He was still nowhere as quick as Ricciardo. Ricciardo smashed him in qualifying and was an average of at least 3-4 tenths quicker than him in both seasons. Extra tires, poor inept strategies and unreliability masked Ricciardo's ability in races vs. Vergne. The fact that RB dismissed Vergne's chances early on only convince me even more that Ricciardo was easily faster and better of the two and  this year it's showing.

Pay drivers will continue to get a seat and I don't mind if it means keeping the back markers afloat. I'd rather have Chilton etc. racing if it means we still have Caterham/Marussia/Sauber on the grid. F1 is poorer for it if these teams go bust.

Edited by v@sh, 11 June 2014 - 00:12.

#38 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 00:11

Kimi.

#39 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 00:36

I think Vergne's future depends on what happens to Lotus next season. I expect him to replace Maldonado at lotus until Ocon is ready to step up to F1 in 2016 or 2017. 

Both Sauber drivers will go, probably both Caterham drivers as well. I think Maldonado will stick around if he still has funding but otherwise he will go as well. 

So my predictions are JEV replaces Maldo at Lotus, Maldo and Frijns replace both Sauber drivers, Sainz Jr replaces JEV at Toro Rosso. 

Advertisement

#40 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:09

Probably WAS quite mega, is the more accurate description.

#41 fZero

fZero

• 117 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:56

So my predictions are JEV replaces Maldo at Lotus, Maldo and Frijns replace both Sauber drivers, Sainz Jr replaces JEV at Toro Rosso. 

Does anyone have an idea was JEV's contract is like? Is he an indentured servant to RBR or will they release him to go to another team? Always wondered what his fate would be considering the history of previous TR drivers.

#42 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:10

Vergne's seat is probably most in danger as red bull can be very ruthless with driver line ups. Look at Jaime Alguersuari he had a good season yet still got dropped.

#43 mattt

mattt

• 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:25

JEV is good, I hope he'll get a place in some other team if dropped from TR.

I'm kinda worried about Hulk, he has no luck with contracts.

#44 peteringram

peteringram

• 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:25

i think Gutierrez and Sutil. :cool:

#45 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:42

if i have to answer with some certainty ... i'd say JEV is the most obvious driver on the grid to be booted off.

now let's talk possibilities ...

1. Marcus Ericsson and Kamui kobayashi (either dropped or caterham folding)

2. esteban guittierez and andrian sutil (either dropped or sauber folding)

all those who think max is at risk ... as long as the Check is in the mail, he's safe.

regarding Pastor ... if he's dropped, it's more likely that his sponsors will kick him out rather than his team. 

others ... safe. 

Edited by eronrules, 11 June 2014 - 08:42.

#46 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:44

Kimi.

well there is always a 1 in 22 chances of it happening, the same with all other drivers ... so i can't argue.  :smoking:

Edited by eronrules, 11 June 2014 - 08:44.

#47 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:46

Don't forget about the new team Forza Rossa. 2 of these drivers could possibly be going there

none will come next year, when people like Haas is admitting the shear effort of producing a Grand Prix team, what chances does FR has??? provided they are willing to go through the ordeal first. 

#48 santori

santori

• 4,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:51

I never thought there was much between Ricciardo and Vergne, and Vergne's doing a very good job this year, especially considering his weight disadvantage. 

But of course it's Red Bull, so who knows? They might get bored and want a new toy.

If they do I think he'd find another seat, money permitting. 

#49 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:53

none will come next year, when people like Haas is admitting the shear effort of producing a Grand Prix team, what chances does FR has??? provided they are willing to go through the ordeal first. 

Only because he is in the states, Kolles already has an F1 base in Germany.

#50 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,713 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:36

Only because he is in the states, Kolles already has an F1 base in Germany.

He's crazy to try and run a team in the states.