- - - - -

So a guy drove his girlfriend's car onto Brands during VW Fun Cup Race

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#1 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 21:40

I am not sure who is the bigger idiot. The one driving or the one uploading the video. Either way Brands have some big questions to answer. Couldn't ended VERY badly

Advertisement

#2 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 21:51

The reaction of the girl.... that's not about being a risky teenager... she was quite rightly frightened for her life and he ignored her....that's creepy.

Edited by rhukkas, 15 June 2014 - 21:51.

#3 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 21:54

So I haven't watched the video, nor will I.  I refuse to give moronic arseholes the publicity they crave.   Sad little fvckers.

Neil

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:12

Pathetic...and sounds like it was her car being driven....hope they throw the book at them :down:

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:16

I am not sure who is the bigger idiot. The one driving or the one uploading the video. Either way Brands have some big questions to answer. Couldn't ended VERY badly

The biggest idiot of all is whoever was running the meeting and allowed it to happen, unless it is a well-executed hoax. 

#6 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:17

Either way Brands have some big questions to answer. Couldn't ended VERY badly

There is always minimal security at club races...

Not shocking.  :)

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:17

Agree with Neil. And since youtube gives money according to views I suggest to delete the topic.

The actual uploader is a track marshal, who has evidently liberated it from a facebook account.

#8 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:20

I don't know what will happen about this, but in case this little wazzock ends up in court over this, which I dearly hope he will, just as a pointer to those who may be unfamiliar with the way things are done in England, it's possible to end up in hot water if you post anything that's prejudicial to the trial.

But whatever, I'd suggest Brands needs to be careful about who's allowed to drive where. I can't see what business anyone not closely connected with a team or with the circuit or with the series promoter, would have being allowed in an area that gives access to the pitlane. It seems general punters, if they buy the right ticket, are allowed to access the infield via the tunnel; I'm not sure where it's envisaged they're going to go having done that, but perhaps more needs to be done to make sure they can't just drive unchallenged through the paddock. Maybe manned gates or barriers are needed to protect the more critical areas?

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,835 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:23

Jesus.

Incidentally, if you're going to have a bit of a drive on the racetrack, do it before the race has started.

#10 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:34

Reminds me of that bus with celebrities at Montreal circuit being on track during the start of Pursche Cup race.

#11 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:39

At least he seemed to be taking the racing line.

#12 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:45

Yeah not sure who out of the guy who drove on track, the passenger who put it on the internet or the circuit for letting them near it. Teenagers will be teenagers so probably the circuit. Anyway a contender for 'bizarre things at a race meeting thread' over at the Nostalgia Forum in the future. 

Wasn't there a race at Silverstone recently where they started the race while a recovery truck was on the Hanger Straight?

#13 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 22:49

What is the world coming to? Folks don't raise their kids properly! Who allowed them to take that video in that terrible format?

#14 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 23:48

I'm not sure what RTA offence he has committed - I suspect probably none.

Maybe a case for trespass, but he didn't appear to as he didn't circumvent or get through any barrier.

TBH at most club meetings you could probably drive through a pit garage while the team was on track.

Curious thing about Brands is that he wasn't stopped from going through the tunnel to get into the middle in the first place.

I can think of at least one occasion when I could have got my road on track there during an old F1 demo session through my garage.

But then again, I'm not that stupid and selfish! 

Seano

#15 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 23:57

Agree with Neil. And since youtube gives money according to views I suggest to delete the topic.

There's a major security breach at a leading UK venue and we should delete the topic because it links to the video of the event?

u wot mate?

#16 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 00:05

There's a major security breach at a leading UK venue and we should delete the topic because it links to the video of the event?

u wot mate?

Very funny I thought, everyone needs to lighten up a bit, he'll get done for it I'm sure. Brands Hatch security need to lock a few gates and doors isn't it? They're being paid to secure the circuit, they're the bigger idiots, that lad is just young carefree and looking for stimulus like any irresponsible child.

#17 ConcaveDave

ConcaveDave

• 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 00:11

Very funny I thought, everyone needs to lighten up a bit, he'll get done for it I'm sure. Brands Hatch security need to lock a few gates and doors isn't it? They're being paid to secure the circuit, they're the bigger idiots, that lad is just young carefree and looking for stimulus like any irresponsible child.

At what point does it not get very funny? Because from where I'm sitting that's a pretty fine line...

Edited by ConcaveDave, 16 June 2014 - 00:21.

#18 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 00:32

Its a kind of weird thing - it shouldn't have been allowed to happen but clearly it did.

When the Labour changed the RTA in 2003/3 its became a blanket regulation for everywhere (including private land) and so they had to make an exemption to the RTA so day that it didn't apply to the tracks otherwise all competitors would get done for speeding if they were caught doing over 70 MPH which would have made all motorsport kinda interesting,

A few years ago we used to drive my car to the track on competition insurance which basically covered the car fully comprehensively to an agread value, but this insurance stopped instantly once the vehicle was in a place that the Public couldn't drive on to and was not subject to the RTA ie the racetrack/rally stage.

I seem to recall that their are few bodies like the RACMSA /ACU that can grant these exemptions to the RTA for officially recognized motorsports including trackdays.

Seano

#19 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:12

They're being paid to secure the circuit, they're the bigger idiots, that lad is just young carefree and looking for stimulus like any irresponsible child.

It's a club race, it's hardly going to be Fort Knox. :)

Re: Seano... The UK system sounds archaic.  In Australia you certainly do drive however the hell you want in your own private paddock still.  :)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 16 June 2014 - 05:13.

Advertisement

#20 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:24

Didn't an F1 driver join a race after DNQ or DNPQ-ing?

#21 Peat

Peat

• 8,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:28

Brands Hatch security need to lock a few gates and doors isn't it? They're being paid to secure the circuit, they're the bigger idiots, that lad is just young carefree and looking for stimulus like any irresponsible child.

And that nails on the head the attitude that is wrong with this country/generation. 

"Nobody told me not to, so it's their fault"

The upshot of this will be that only those with paddock credentials will be allowed near the paddock at events, even club-level. That seriously blows if you want to get a up-close look at cars, meet drivers/friends. It will rip the soul out of it. 

'Lighten up'????

#22 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:06

The upshot of this will be that only those with paddock credentials will be allowed near the paddock at events, even club-level. That seriously blows if you want to get a up-close look at cars, meet drivers/friends. It will rip the soul out of it.

That's what I was thinking. One of the many examples of where one person ruins the fun for everybody else by being stupid.

That girl sounded terrified as well. What a great guy.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 June 2014 - 07:06.

#23 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:11

What a bunch of halfwits. That girl was terrified and she kept grabbing the steering wheel which is very dangerous in itself, let alone driving on a circuit during a race. "We'll just say we got lost", halfwit n.1 says and halfwit n.2 later posts video evidence that it was all intended. He should get his licence revoked and the girl should dump him for endangering her life. 

#24 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,181 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:31

Say "NO!" to VERTICAL VIDEO :mad:

#25 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:34

Didn't an F1 driver join a race after DNQ or DNPQ-ing?

Yes, Hans Heyer, he DNQd at the German GP, was suited and booted as the reserve driver in case anyone dropped out on the warm-up lap (which was allowed then), and when the grid went off decided to have a go anyway.  A German driver in a German team at the German GP - no wonder Officialdom turned a blind eye before blackflagging him.

What a bunch of halfwits. That girl was terrified and she kept grabbing the steering wheel which is very dangerous in itself, let alone driving on a circuit during a race. "We'll just say we got lost", halfwit n.1 says and halfwit n.2 later posts video evidence that it was all intended. He should get his licence revoked and the girl should dump him for endangering her life. 

How would you revoke his driving licence for something on private ground?

#26 Talisker

Talisker

• 384 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:41

Obviously this is NOT A GOOD THING, but it doesn't stop it being very funny. A huge amount of lightening up is required by many people here. Out of interest, does everyone here go on other forums and get all irate about much more dangerous stuff people do, like drink driving, or is the sanctimony only reserved for incidents involving motor racing?

#27 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:48

Yes, Hans Heyer, he DNQd at the German GP, was suited and booted as the reserve driver in case anyone dropped out on the warm-up lap (which was allowed then), and when the grid went off decided to have a go anyway.  A German driver in a German team at the German GP - no wonder Officialdom turned a blind eye before blackflagging him.

How would you revoke his driving licence for something on private ground?

Hmm, I didn't think it through. Something should be done about it though.

#28 Haribo

Haribo

• 866 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:28

The most annoying things are:

* Halfwits taking videos in portrait mode

* People who hang bloody air fresheners under the rear view mirror. That irrationally annoys me

* The girl is freaking out and her bf is driving her car and ignoring the fact that she's freaking out

N.B. - Not necessarily in that order

N.N.B - Post not entirely serious

Edited by Haribo, 16 June 2014 - 09:59.

#29 Peat

Peat

• 8,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:35

Out of interest, does everyone here go on other forums and get all irate about much more dangerous stuff people do, like drink driving, or is the sanctimony only reserved for incidents involving motor racing?

Motorsport is a pretty small church, globally. 

Things like this, to those not involved in the sport, can be understandably seen as "LOLZ" because there is no vested interest. To those within, it should be treated seriously as there will be repercussions that will effect us all. More red-tape because of the actions of the few idiots. 

There are guys that work very hard and devote alot of time to go racing, on the track, on the banks and in the stands. When some snotty TOWIE wannabe comes and p!sses all over it in the name of '#YOLO', there is every right not to be amused. 

#30 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,517 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:37

Hah, those guys got nothing on the orginal-YOLO, aka this guy:

Edited by BobbyRicky, 16 June 2014 - 08:37.

#31 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:46

:lol:

#32 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:52

How was that even possible. (Shakes head a lot). 

#33 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:01

"Look at the crowd - standing & applauding the officials for catching this thief"

Yes, that's exactly what they are doing  :lol:

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:21

To be perfectly honest if the lad made it on to the track it has to be seen as a good prank!

It is idiotic, and childish and shows no little regard for the safety of countless people,

And you have to ask questions about the security situation, this means he drove through the tunnel!  How on earth did he get through there unless he had a pass?

#35 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:57

Spectator cam: 

#36 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:15

Could have at least filmed it properly! Can't really see what's going on properly. Its funny they're catching more **** for filming in portrait than they are for actually doing it....and quite right.

Seriously though, what irresponsible idiots. Although it makes Brands security look bad, im not that surprised. It's one of these situations where if you look confident in what you're doing and act like you should be there, then most likely you won't be challenged. It looks like he managed to get from the paddock into the pit lane, so that should probably be there area to be addressed.

Be interesting to find out what they would actually charge him with. Are there any laws that would cover this as its not a public road, so normal traffic laws don't apply? Trespassing maybe? Maybe it'll be £1500 fine and 6 points on license for exceeding track limits. Saying that he got round in one piece, so he's doing better than Maldonado  :well:

Edited by DainBramaged, 16 June 2014 - 11:18.

#37 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:22

Broadly speaking, trespass is not criminal.  It's civil.  The driver could be sued for damages caused by his track invasion.  Which would be limited, unless there was an issue of compensation for disappointed racers.  Normally you'd sue for an injunction to stop trespass.

From a criminal perspective, I'd look to the usual public order offences.  In theory for example you could go for assault - which, contrary to popular belief, is not twatting someone, but making someone afraid you're going to **** them (the actual twatting is battery).  Being reckless can amount to an assault.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:30

Nah, it's not funny in the least. they may have got away with it, but there was real possibility that someone could have been seriously hurt. 

#39 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:36

Nah, it's not funny in the least. they may have got away with it, but there was real possibility that someone could have been seriously hurt. 

And good luck with getting an insurer to pay out on that.

Advertisement

#40 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,871 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:39

I agree. I always think about the same when I see 'kids' like these, wether it are totally a-social bastards like the guy behind the wheel, islam-fanatics or footballhooligans, with an army of sociologal, psychological or general theoretical apologists behind them: 'You are only explaining why they are assholes.'

Edited by Nemo1965, 16 June 2014 - 10:40.

#41 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:41

If I was the passenger of that vehicle and they did that to me I'd be pushing for a False Imprisonment.

Am I the only deeply uncomfortable of two young males totally disregarding the very real fear of a woman literally screaming? "That's not funny... that's creepy

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:45

I don't know if it was the idiot who posted the video, but whoever posted gets money for the views. So, keep giving him money.

No, only monetised accounts get money for views. Most accounts do not make money for their uploaders.

#43 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:45

So what? Autosport make money from THIS thread... yet here you are posting and helping boosting the post.... making money for Autosport.

lol Do you watch/read ANY news?

#44 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:58

Spectator cam: 

Hold on.

A VOLKSWAGEN GOLF suddenly makes an appearance in a VOLKSWAGEN FUN CUP race, and the commentator says "Oh, why is there a Volkswagen Golf on track?" not "wtf, there appears to be a civillian car on the circuit".

Really?

#45 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:05

What if this is a viral thing put out by vw?

#46 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:06

It's actually a latest-model Polo, rather than a Golf, but my conspiratard alarm bells also started to ring.

Edited by Disgrace, 16 June 2014 - 11:06.

#47 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:10

I seriously doubt VW would have any link to this.

As others have mentioned it raises a lot of questions.

As a fan, I am embarassed that at one of teh biggest circuits in the country this kind of thing can happen, it might mean ever tighter security which is already awful at some events.

As a fan of newsites its hilarious, but I am caught between two things. It is embarassing for motorsport, raises lots of questions.

As for the girl in the car, the sheer fact she lent it to this kid removes her from any level of common sense, he probably wasn't insured to drive it. Her reaction was one of hysteria not of fright, and if she had any sense she would have just yanked the handbrake on somewhere safe and whacked the little cretin around the head a few times.

#48 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,871 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:17

Hold on.

A VOLKSWAGEN GOLF suddenly makes an appearance in a VOLKSWAGEN FUN CUP race, and the commentator says "Oh, why is there a Volkswagen Golf on track?" not "wtf, there appears to be a civillian car on the circuit".

Really?

I am getting doubts too. The strange thing further is that the voice of the commentar is very, very clear, with no interference from the distance between the recording mike on the camera and the different loudspeakers on the track. Normal would be a delay-effect of loudspeakers broadcasting the same sound but being apart by fifty meters or so.

Furthermore, the sound of the commentator does not 'clip' when he sounds excited nor does the 'grey' sound go up in silences. Most mics on cheap videocams and telephones have a condensator mic, which pushes up the sound as much as possible.

So, questionable...

Edited by Nemo1965, 16 June 2014 - 11:17.

#49 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:18

I have to admit that commentary is very funny . 

Bit dangerous though,  poor old VW Beetles would explode if that modern Polo hit them. might knock his ipod connector out as well :(

Andy

#50 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

• 214 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:21

I seriously doubt its was a VW stunt. Too much bad publicity - unless you are saying it was a fake race too. In regards to the commentator, if it was a VW stunt, i really doubt they would have made him call it a Golf by mistake.