Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Double megaphones, spark planks, what else?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 17:55

What about some fire lauching exausts? And pit babes in bikinis.

Advertisement

#2 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:04

Not sure I want to watch F1 anymore with this sparks thing. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

#3 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:13

Don't forget "vapour trails"......................................................bloody Idiots, they shouldn't have changed the regs that gave us these things before.

#4 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:14

I actually think its a good idea.  It doesn't detract from the performance in any way, however the ideal solution for me would be to get rid of the plank completely.

#5 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:20

The main problem with F1 is that they clamp down everything, only to introduce artificial elements to recreate the effects.

#6 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:23

It's like girl with fake tits.

#7 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:24

The main problem with F1 is that they clamp down everything, only to introduce artificial elements to recreate the effects.

This.

DRS, cheesy tyres, sparking floors. Just elements to give the spectators a good show. But i don't like a show, i like racing

#8 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:28

Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

#9 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:30

hey ... here's what we can do to spice things up ...

hear me out ... what if, we made the last race of the season a double points race!! ha ... ha ... awesome idea, isn't it , but that would never happen.

oh wait  :stoned:

#10 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:31

It seems like everything they banned years ago, they want to re-introduce to improve "The Show". Just leave things alone. We don't want artificial aids on the cars. I know that every so often they have to slow the cars down as they get too fast for the circuits but you can do that with aero cuts. Give the cars mechanical grip with decent tyres, not the ones Pirelli have been told to produce by the FIA and reduce aero grip and let the teams get on with it.

#11 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:35

Precisely. :up:

#12 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:35

blue shell.

#13 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:36

Don't forget "vapour trails"......................................................bloody Idiots, they shouldn't have changed the regs that gave us these things before.

why not 'Blur motion' for tv viewers??? when DRS opens, the onboard camera should do like NFS games motion blur.

#14 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:38

why not 'Blur motion' for tv viewers??? when DRS opens, the onboard camera should do like NFS games motion blur.

Be quiet, they listen (and misunderstand)

#15 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:39

blue shell.

Is there a blue shell?  I know about the green and red ones.

#16 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,408 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:45

Well, I don't mind and I don't understand why you do. What would that megaphone exhaust or spark planks take away from F1? Do we need to bash it only because it is artificial? Well, F1 is and always has been artificial in itself, as is the whole technology.

#17 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:46

It is so, so, so pathetic.
Can someone please try these people for bringing the sport into disrepute.

#18 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:58

All theese things are great when secondary to the cars function. Having them just for the sake of it, that's below the belt.  :down:

Edited by ollebompa, 19 June 2014 - 18:59.

#19 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:58

It's like girl with fake tits.

Done right, they sure can enhance an experience. Also for her.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:06

Well, I don't mind and I don't understand why you do. What would that megaphone exhaust or spark planks take away from F1? Do we need to bash it only because it is artificial? Well, F1 is and always has been artificial in itself, as is the whole technology.

Because it's indicative of how F1 ignores important issues while tyring to fix minor/non issues with artificial gimmicks. Some teams might fold from one season to the next, the boss of the show is under trial, audience is down, online coverage is a decade behind or so and they worry with creating sparks and installing megaphones.

And double points, even though nobody actually thinks it's a good idea.

What are they smoking?

Edited by Atreiu, 19 June 2014 - 20:47.

#21 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:27

Is there a blue shell?  I know about the green and red ones.

Targets the leader.

#22 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:29

Grand Prix. Give the winner of a million dollar, second place $500k, third gets $250k. The rest of the Bernie money shared equally by all teams. F1 is a money sport and it is simply not possible to create healthy competition if you give one team 99 millions and another gets 8. Fairness and equal treatment, that is the only way to go if F1 is going to be saved.

If a team get a 1 & 2 in all races, they'll get around 30 million extra, that's fair.

Edited by ardbeg, 19 June 2014 - 19:30.

#23 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:30

So whats coming next?

Cars fitted with Nerf guns to fire foam bullets at the car in front just to add to the 'show'?

#24 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:31

They should paint the track green.  Then they can use chroma keying to make it look like they are racing on fire.

#25 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:31

What else? Less driver penalties apparently. Who would have thought

#26 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:33

Why not add those speed boost things on the floor like in mario kart? :clap: :clap:

#27 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:34

Why is titanium more artificial than laminate wood?

What they should have done is just slipped this change into the regulations without advertising they were specifically trying to spice up the show...

#28 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:00

There are so many things wrong with this philosophy of running the sport I don't know where to start. But here's one of them.

Because it's putting items on to an F1 car that have nothing to do with performance. An F1 car (any racing car really, but an F1 car should be the epitome of the form) should have a single purpose - to be a racing car. Every item of the car should be towards that purpose. A racing car does not require trumpets to make it sound louder. The very idea of it is absurd.

#29 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:01

What they should have done is just slipped this change into the regulations without advertising they were specifically trying to spice up the show...

Yeah that's the thing. It's a psychological thing, and they keep getting it wrong. If the regs required skid blocks, as it was during the spark era (edit: or was it?), and the sparks were a by-product. All would be fine. Changing the rules to require a wooden plank and then, decades later, reintroduce titanium blocks specifically to create sparks, is just wrong. Although it's not too different a thing. There are people in the world who understand such things, F1 should hire them

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 19 June 2014 - 20:47.

#30 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:02

It's painful to see how the leading figures in the sport (can we even call it a sport these days?) are so utterly clueless about the direction or the philosophy of Formula 1. 

#31 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:03

Bahhahaha, F1 double megaphone and soundpipe between exhaust blow-off and turbine, and mandatory tatoos for all drivers. In the face.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 19 June 2014 - 20:04.

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:04

There's no truth in the rumour that Bernie Ecclestone was seen at 111 Squadron's base trying to sneak out the canisters the Red Arrows use to make the red, white and blue smoke trails...

#33 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:05

... are so utterly clueless about the direction or the philosophy of Formula 1. 

They dont care about that. Just TV viewer numbers, which translate to $$$$.

#34 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:08

I thought the point of the wood was that it wore away if the car was too low, and that the level of wear could be measured. I'm guessing titanium won't do that.

But I could well be decades out of date with what the block is trying to achieve?

As mentioned above, the point is F1 cars were never designed to create sparks, it was just a cool side effect. Trying to be cool on purpose isn't cool, it's lame.

#35 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:12

So one week after the brilliance of Le Mans, we're back to the stupidity of F1. :well:

#36 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:25

For the night races, the cars should have neon lights underneath that turn on when they activate drs.

#37 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:31

Guess you'll all be missing this weekend then.

Might as well stop watching now?

#38 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:42

I thought the point of the wood was that it wore away if the car was too low, and that the level of wear could be measured. I'm guessing titanium won't do that.

But I could well be decades out of date with what the block is trying to achieve?

As mentioned above, the point is F1 cars were never designed to create sparks, it was just a cool side effect. Trying to be cool on purpose isn't cool, it's lame.

This

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:09

Reminds me of a set that Scalextric used to make where the cars had flints incorporated into the floors and they'd create sparks on a special bit of track.

Advertisement

#40 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:18

EKjetcycle.jpg

#41 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Do they really think that people who are not watching now will start to watch because of a few sparks?

An insult to fans and potential fans.

#42 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Ah, where's the harm?

It is a bit like your Grandad trying to be cool, admittedly, but what do you expect if you let an old man run the sport? Of all the daft, desperate proposals that have been floated about and implemented of late, this is the last one we ought to be worrying about. Personally, I find the image of the world championship-leading F1 car running around with the trumpet off an old gramophone rammed up its tailpipe considerably more embarassing.

And the Pat Sharp's Fun House-inspired system of back-loading the big points to stop the best contestant winning the title before the end... That's potentially fatal to the credibility of the sport.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by redreni, 19 June 2014 - 21:29.

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:28

What about some fire lauching exausts? And pit babes in bikinis.

Double megaphones is regarding the exaust?  I have not heard about spark planks, what is that? 

#44 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:29

So sparks, vortices and louder engines are all going to bring in more viewers/fans are they? :roll: Sure, sure......what next turning it into something akin to the film DRIVEN where you blink and a car crashes ridiculously. How about using social media to vote for bonus points, or turning it into wacky races with blades coming out of the wheels.
What they are basically doing is trying to wallpaper over the cracks and hope nobody notices because "Look sparks!".
Also I notice they are going turn more of a blind eye to driving misdemeanours. Maldanado will be pleased.

#45 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:34

I actually think its a good idea.  It doesn't detract from the performance in any way, however the ideal solution for me would be to get rid of the plank completely.

When are the gonna realise you can't act out a natural phenomenon? What with this obsession with Senna & Prost and 'who's the next Senna?' Turbo cars, no re-fuelling, slick tyres, reduce downforce and even sparks on purpose! It's like as if the whole thing has now gotta be manufactured, even the politics to make it like it used to be. Is it that difficult now? This is pathetic, the sport has turned to ****. 

#46 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 21:46

I understand everybody's Thursday has been ruined, but let me just ask: You guys do realise that the material in the plank will in some or all areas be just substituted for another?

#47 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 22:09

Such a trivial thing, but it is indicative of how hapless those in charge are if the really do believe this is part of the cure for F1's ills. As ever, they ignore the most glaring issues, which are the inequitable distribution of cash, the flogging of the sport to pay TV channels and non-existent promotion of the sport (except when telling the world how **** it is- bloody geniuses!). All for a quick buck, which gets harder to find as they harm the sport in their quest for it.

#48 ChrisAttebery

ChrisAttebery

• 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 23:13

This really screams desperation to me. I'd really like to see wider tires and less aero, not sparks, megaphones, oil sprayers, tire shreading spikes and ejection seats. :rolleyes:

#49 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 23:18

This is one to debunk the rose-tinted glasses brigade actually. The era I got into F1, 1991-93, was basically towards the end of when we had naturally sparking cars, and I have fond memories of them - so if I was motivated in any way by nostalgia or "rose-tinted glasses" or whatever, I'd be all for this.

But in reality, I've been against most of F1's recent changes because they're, well, ****.

#50 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 23:21

Well, I was kind of expecting to see F1 jumping the shark some day.

I just didn't expect it so soon.

Edited by byrkus, 19 June 2014 - 23:22.