"Felipe has always been this fast" - Alonso

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:32

Fernando Alonso says:

"I always said Felipe was a very, very fast man," Alonso said. "Not many people believed me.
"But I still think he was probably the fastest team-mate that I had."

"Definitely Felipe struggled in the last four years because we knew that we were not super-competitive," said Alonso, who qualified fourth behind Mercedes' Nico Rosberg.

"Now he has a very fast car, he enjoyed today and I congratulate him and am happy for him after the tough moments we lived together in the last four years. But tomorrow I hopefully finish in front of him and not behind any more."

Has Massa been extremely underestimated - by virtually everyone - in the past few years?

Bottas was rated very highly in 2013, yet Massa has easily matched him on raw pace. Today he also beat the two Mercedes drivers (who have superior cars) to pole position.

Edited by Kingshark, 22 June 2014 - 00:33.

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:38

Yes. Alonso is the greatest driver ever. This guy can beat anybody. Even with the curse of being best friends with Mark Webber.

#3 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:39

Fernando Alonso says:

"I always said Felipe was a very, very fast man," Alonso said. "Not many people believed me.

"Definitely Felipe struggled in the last four years because we knew that we were not super-competitive," said Alonso, who qualified fourth behind Mercedes' Nico Rosberg.

"Now he has a very fast car, he enjoyed today and I congratulate him and am happy for him after the tough moments we lived together in the last four years. But tomorrow I hopefully finish in front of him and not behind any more."

We know - we all saw Germany 2010.  Unfortunately it will not be as easy to finish in front of Massa tomorrow  :well:  

I don't think most people underestimated Massa - most understood exactly what was going on at Ferrari. 

That statement bothers people because they see it as a judgment on Alonso - but it isn't - it is just the Ferrari way "you have to put all of your efforts behind a champion fighting for the championship".  That doesn't mean Alonso got to sit smoking a Marlboro and having a Beer - he had to work for his on track gains, it is just there was no teammate to bother with.  As we see at Merc, Macca, RBR, Williams and FI, that can be a big pain in the arse.  Avoiding that situation is what Luca meant by that paraphrased quote I provided. 

Edited by bourbon, 22 June 2014 - 00:48.

#4 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:40

Yep but everyone laughed at Alonso at the time saying he was saying it to make himself look good or to hang on to a slow team mate to make his life easier.

They said he wouldn't be enjoying that type of advantage with a WDC driver and then this year happened.

Edited by RedOne, 22 June 2014 - 00:40.

#5 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:42

BS. Massa is a good driver, but this one qually performance does not replace the last 4 years of mediocrity. 

#6 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:44

We know - we all saw Germany 2010. Unfortunately it will not be as easy to finish in front of Massa tomorrow :well:

I don't think most people underestimated Massa - most understood exactly what was going on at Ferrari.

Yeah obviously Ferrari just like to hire drivers to sabotage them by somehow making them slower than Alonso. All these weird theories thrown about except the one that is the most simple, Alonso is just plain better.

#7 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:47

Alonso is just being diplomatic. I don't think he really believes that, especially about Massa being his quickest teammate. With respect to Massa, his lap wasn't anything special. It was more a case of Mercedes messing up then Massa somehow over performing but yeah credit to him nonetheless.

#8 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:48

BS. Massa is a good driver, but this one qually performance does not replace the last 4 years of mediocrity.

Alonso needs to stop dominating his team mates too much, maybe just beat them by a few tenths here or there or they will look mediocre :p

#9 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:53

Yeah obviously Ferrari just like to hire drivers to sabotage them by somehow making them slower than Alonso. All these weird theories thrown about except the one that is the most simple, Alonso is just plain better.

It isn't sabotage if it is agreed to.  That is what having #1 and #2 status means. 

Alonso was exaggerating anyway.  You seriously believe he feels Massa was faster than Hamilton?

Edited by bourbon, 22 June 2014 - 00:54.

#10 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:54

It's an emotional pole and I was happy for him and enjoyed watching his onboard.

However.. (here it comes)

He was a tenth down on Bottas in his first run.  Has been closely matched with Bottas during a lot of moments this season.  He won pole by a tenth.  A lot of that is nitpicking..

But overall haven't liked the way he has driven.  Maybe it's not obvious to the unobserving eye, but he hasn't maximized results and has been in positions (further behind) than he should have been.. and that has caused these situations like in Sepang or Canada of having to be desperate and having these dramas that result from it.  In Melbourne he was unlucky and a passenger.. but a lot of the time.. Williams has been frustrated that they haven't delivered the results that they think they can achieve (podiums).. and a big part of that to me is not having a leader in the team, someone like Alonso.. to go out and grab those results.. instead of squandering them away.

Maybe finally he can maximize the car, he did in qualifying.. let's see about the race.  Maybe he can deliver a big performance.  But even if he wins..

One race doesn't make a season.  So far it's been a disappointment and if I were a big Williams fan, I'd be frustrated with the drivers and the strategy for squandering so many chances.  If they slip behind in future races they will look back on the first half of the season and be bitterly disappointed by how much was wasted.  If they keep moving closer to the front, maybe they won't care so much.

If he maximizes the car, he'll be so far up the road, he won't have to worry about Perez' or about team orders.. he'll just be in free air.

#11 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 00:56

Yep but everyone laughed at Alonso at the time saying he was saying it to make himself look good or to hang on to a slow team mate to make his life easier.

They said he wouldn't be enjoying that type of advantage with a WDC driver and then this year happened.

He's still doing it now IMO.  Alonso isn't silly.  Deep down, knowing how competive Alonso truly is, he'd probably be pissed that Massa can leave to a backmarker team and suddenly be beating him.  Happy for him sure, but also a bit pissed that Williams could be getting poles while Ferrari get's 4th or 6th places.

There is truth to what he is saying, Massa isn't slow.. no F1 driver is, it's just exaggerated and ignoring other things Massa has done.  The poor racecraft or whatever else.

I find it odd, that it all suddenly changes because of one pole position.  Ricciardio won last race, but he'd also driven solid all season.  Massa's been average and he hasn't even won yet.. just gotten a pole position.

It sounds like I am bitter but I'm not.  I was happy that Williams got 1-2 on the grid.  It's big thing for anyone to out qualify Mercedes this season.  But I don't know how anyone could say that Massa has driven well this season.  It's a C+ at best.

Edited by HoldenRT, 22 June 2014 - 00:58.

#12 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:00

It isn't sabotage if it is agreed to. That is what having #1 and #2 status means.

Alonso was exaggerating anyway. You seriously believe he feels Massa was faster than Hamilton?

Na I agree on the exaggerating of course Hamilton is faster but do you honestly believe Kimi signed a number 2 contract? What if he turned out to be 1 second faster than Alonso then what good is a contract? :)

#13 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:01

Alonso is just being diplomatic. I don't think he really believes that, especially about Massa being his quickest teammate. With respect to Massa, his lap wasn't anything special. It was more a case of Mercedes messing up then Massa somehow over performing but yeah credit to him nonetheless.

I thought it was a very good lap via the onboard.  It wasn't much quicker than Bottas but no one really knows how quick Bottas is.  Most drivers in F1 are quick.  Everyone likes to act like some are superheroes and others are mediocre but that's usually only when they are strugging.  When they are confident and hooked up they are all very close with each other, there is only so fast an F1 car can go and the drivers are professionals at maximizing it, it's just the better ones maximize it more than the others.  And when they stars align, and everything is in the sweet spot, they can seem unbeatable (which leads to the superhero comments).  But even the less regarded ones are still very good.

#14 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:07

I won't agree that Massa is fast, but Fern has experience with him, so I won't fault him his opinion.

Besides, he's being nice, which is a welcome change from drivers having a big moan about something or other.

#15 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:08

He's still doing it now IMO. Alonso isn't silly. Deep down, knowing how competive Alonso truly is, he'd probably be pissed that Massa can leave to a backmarker team and suddenly be beating him. Happy for him sure, but also a bit pissed that Williams could be getting poles while Ferrari get's 4th or 6th places.

There is truth to what he is saying, Massa isn't slow.. no F1 driver is, it's just exaggerated and ignoring other things Massa has done. The poor racecraft or whatever else.

I find it odd, that it all suddenly changes because of one pole position. Ricciardio won last race, but he'd also driven solid all season. Massa's been average and he hasn't even won yet.. just gotten a pole position.

It sounds like I am bitter but I'm not. I was happy that Williams got 1-2 on the grid. It's big thing for anyone to out qualify Mercedes this season. But I don't know how anyone could say that Massa has driven well this season. It's a C+ at best.

Who was talking about Massa's driving this season? All I can see is Alonso saying Massa has always been quick just like how everybody was saying that when he was about to go to Ferrari and that it would be close between them. Then it changed to Massa is not the same after his accident and so on..

#16 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:08

Hamilton is faster than Massa

Trulli is arguably faster than Massa for 1 lap pace

I think Alonso has been taken a bit out of context, or let his words run away with him there. It is enough that Massa is doing this well (qualifying wise) relative to Bottas, to underline what a beast Alonso is/was, given how he much of a difference there was between him and Massa.

Ferrari lack of one lap pace since 2009 is the big story.

#17 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:15

From the same article it seems Smedley also recognises how much of a beast Alonso is..

"Williams head of vehicle performance Rob Smedley, who also joined from Ferrari for this season, said: "Fernando is an incredible competitor; really one of the very best drivers of all time.
"So having Fernando Alonso as your team-mate is never easy, as Kimi's finding out now."

Edited by RedOne, 22 June 2014 - 01:15.

#18 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:22

Alonso has been an elite driver since 2005. He is reaching almost a decade at being at the peak of his powers.

Senna had 1985-1994

Schumi had 1994-2002

Prost 1983-1990

Alonso's longevity is up there with the greats. It is therefore no shame for Kimi or Massa to be struggling against Alonso. It is a bit like Keke Rosberg struggling against Prost, or Elio de Angelis being shown up by Senna

Edited by sennafan24, 22 June 2014 - 01:24.

#19 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:25

Yes Massa is seriously, seriously quick but Alonso is six tenths quicker of course. 

Advertisement

#20 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:31

This.

Probably still everyone believes that it is not true, but Alonso was consistent throughout in what he said, and - like in 2006 - 2009, we see that Felipe is no slouch speed wise. He must have suffered in the four years with Alonso at Ferrari.

Interesting what Rob Smedley has to say:

"Fernando is an incredible competitor; really one of the very best drivers of all time.

"So having Fernando Alonso as your team-mate is never easy, as Kimi's finding out now."We all know that Kimi is an incredible driver. But Fernando just delivers and it's not just weekend in, weekend out, it's session in, session out.

"The guy hardly ever puts a foot wrong. And that puts you under pressure. It's normal when you have to battle against somebody who is so very good that you do feel pressure."

http://www.bbc.com/s...rmula1/27957343

#21 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:32

We know - we all saw Germany 2010.  Unfortunately it will not be as easy to finish in front of Massa tomorrow  :well:  

Oh yes, because in every race of every season when they were teammates, Massa was asked to move over, right?  :rolleyes:

One team order where Alonso was fighting for the championship while Massa was not is quite simply irrelevant when comparing their performance in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think most people underestimated Massa

Yes they did, I have actually seen some posters call Massa "the worse driver on the grid" back in 2011-13, if that is not underestimating, I don't know what is.

most understood exactly what was going on at Ferrari.

Not much different from any other team, unless of course you have all the inside data.

#22 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:33

Alonso is the best driver on the grid bar none.

I don't even know who to rate up there with him, probably Ricciardo in recent form. Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel are contenders but have all made quite big mistakes so far.

#23 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:34

Alonso has been an elite driver since 2005. He is reaching almost a decade at being at the peak of his powers.

Senna had 1985-1994

Schumi had 1994-2002

Prost 1983-1990

Alonso's longevity is up there with the greats. It is therefore no shame for Kimi or Massa to be struggling against Alonso. It is a bit like Keke Rosberg struggling against Prost, or Elio de Angelis being shown up by Senna

And it will continue until he at least adds 1 more title to his cabinet. There is definitely no shame but more of an attraction to see how well they can fair against him. Even just beating him in a few qualifying sessions people will still find impressive.

#24 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:34

Senna had 1985-1994

Schumi had 1994-2002

Prost 1983-1990

Alonso's longevity is up there with the greats. It is therefore no shame for Kimi or Massa to be struggling against Alonso. It is a bit like Keke Rosberg struggling against Prost, or Elio de Angelis being shown up by Senna

To me, Alonso is one of the Top 3 drivers of all time. No surprise there. Yet, hard for most to accept this....

#25 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:39

Yes they did, I have actually seen some posters call Massa "the worse driver on the grid" back in 2011-13, if that is not underestimating, I don't know what is.

Massa was definitely not "the worst driver on the grid" - on the contrary, I was amused how often he and Lewis had a coming together. Sort of they "deserved each other".

Whether Massa is really faster than Hamilton is a long stretch, however, both have on thing in common: inconsistency. Especially when compared to Fernando.

Intriguing to see that Alonso, despite his consistency over 10 years is still waiting for his third title. IF Lewis had been a little more consistent, he would have three titles by now. And Felipe would have the one title from 2008. Apart from this, I have to say that Felipe was really flying in 2008, and the inconsistencies of him and Hamilton were a case of - "You go ahead, Sir - I don't want the title!"

Edited by aditya-now, 22 June 2014 - 01:47.

#26 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:46

To me, Alonso is one of the Top 3 drivers of all time. No surprise there. Yet, hard for most to accept this....

Where I rank Alonso all-time, might be a tad ill-timed, so do not read if easily offended.

Spoiler

RedOne, on 22 Jun 2014 - 02:34, said:

And it will continue until he at least adds 1 more title to his cabinet. There is definitely no shame but more of an attraction to see how well they can fair against him. Even just beating him in a few qualifying sessions people will still find impressive.

A title at Ferrari would be the icing (or maybe McLaren), but I think he has done enough

2 WDC's is mightily impressive given how he won them (2005 he was near flawless, 2006 he ended the Schumi era)

Edited by sennafan24, 22 June 2014 - 01:47.

#27 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:28

Let's not lose sight of the fact that pointing out how quick Massa is also makes himself look freakishly awesome by towelling him up for years.

And I say this as a massive fan of Alonso

#28 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:28

Has Massa been extremely underestimated - by virtually everyone - in the past few years?

Bottas was rated very highly in 2013, yet Massa has easily matched him on raw pace. Today he also beat the two Mercedes drivers (who have superior cars) to pole position.

Even when he debuted, he was reputed to be one of the fast ones, alongside Raikkonen, only error-prone for a driver to get a shot at a top drive at the time. I've always maintained that he's a confidence man... if you could prop him up, he will take on anyone. Anyone! Then again, some air comes out of the happy bubble, then things are not all so rosy.

I have said repeatedly, more than once, even last year, that i feel that Bottas is over-rated. I don't think i have seen anything from the Finn to change my mind. Curious as though i have almost always been impressed by Finn drivers. Heck, even Kovaleinen was impressive in 2008-2009 out-qualifying Hamilton with a heavier car, or was as fast if not faster on several occasions with fuel correction. I personally have a theory... but i would rather not share it here. If you want, we could go over things in pm's.

cheers!

#29 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:34

Where I rank Alonso all-time, might be a tad ill-timed, so do not read if easily offended.

Spoiler

A title at Ferrari would be the icing (or maybe McLaren), but I think he has done enough

2 WDC's is mightily impressive given how he won them (2005 he was near flawless, 2006 he ended the Schumi era)

Ahem... :as is usual, you say something, there i'm right on your tail :p

Alonso better than Schumacher? We will disagree and how :p

Would you not say that Michelin and Renault ended Schumacher era? 2006 was quite like 2009 in my opinion. Only, one driver doesn't get as much credit to win the title as he did, and that driver did it without accusing his team of sabotage, or some such stuff for that matter :D

I will say this, Alonso is perhaps the best driver on the track as of now... may not be the fastest, but he gets the job done more often than not, and h is less prone to errors etc.

#30 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:38

Let's not lose sight of the fact that pointing out how quick Massa is also makes himself look freakishly awesome by towelling him up for years.

These were the general argument used by the anti-Alonso crowd last year (the premises are shaped to reach their desired conclusion):

1. Massa is a very poor driver, and Alonso only keeps him to make himself look good.

2. Alonso has occasionally been beaten by Massa, and Massa out-qualified Alonso 40% of the time this season

3. Therefore, Alonso is not that good, and a poor qualifier.

What has changed this season?

1. Alonso has taken on a teammate - who last year - was wildly regarded as being one of the top drivers in Formula 1.

2. Massa has performed reasonably well thus far this season despite his misfortunes, and has usually been faster than the talented Bottas.

In a deductive argument, disproving one argument is enough to falsify the conclusion, but this season both premises have been falsified thanks to especially Alonso's, and to some extend Massa's performance.

I'd say that both Ferrari drivers were quite underrated last year. Massa is/was nowhere near as bad as many claimed, and Alonso deserves every bit of credit he gets, maybe even more.

Edited by Kingshark, 22 June 2014 - 04:35.

#31 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:00

Such a nice moment.

tumblr_n7iw80WbOx1satywmo10_r1_400.gif

:up: :up: :up:

I don't think Felipe is the fastest teammate he had, general consensus will put Hamilton in that position but Massa was very quick in 2008, as much as Hamilton (despite different cars), you never know. But this words are more than anything a friend happy for another friend, let's not forget that Alonso wanted Felipe to stay in Ferrari.

#32 IamFasterthanU

IamFasterthanU

• 929 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:17

That statement bothers people because they see it as a judgment on Alonso - but it isn't - it is just the Ferrari way "you have to put all of your efforts behind a champion fighting for the championship".  That doesn't mean Alonso got to sit smoking a Marlboro and having a Beer - he had to work for his on track gains, it is just there was no teammate to bother with.  As we see at Merc, Macca, RBR, Williams and FI, that can be a big pain in the arse.  Avoiding that situation is what Luca meant by that paraphrased quote I provided. 

Well both Rob Smedley and Massa both acknowledge that Alonso is a very very fast and that was something Massa found difficult to cope up with. How do you explain Massa matching Kimi in 2007-09? Ferrari likes to have clearly marked no. 2 drivers but that is mostly down to driver skill they just choose their team compositon this way. It is not the team that sabotages them and turns them into a no. 2 driver. 

Barrichello, Massa were spectacular on their days but were nowhere on numerous occasions that led to them being designated no.2s. They thought Kimi would be like Schumi but he was not. He could'nt dominate Massa but the case was different with Alonso and funnily the accusations that Ferrari sabotages no.2 drivers, unequal treatment ec. resurfaced. 

Germany 2010 was unfortunate not because of team orders (there were many instances before that when team orders were executed despite being illegal) but because of the way they were executed majorly due to smedley being peeved about it. I'd say it was a good move by Ferrari seeing how the season panned out.

#33 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:29

Fernando Alonso says:

Ahem! You do remember you had Lewis Hamilton as a team-mate, right Fernando? blink.gif

#34 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:04

Massa is quick but he doesn't have the relentless consistency or the racecraft of Alonso. 

Alonso is just a ****ing good driver. However **** the car is he still performs. Thats why many rate him as the best on the grid. He's had a lot of good luck in his career and a little bit of bad luck, and it probably cost him at least 1 possibly 2 championships. 

#35 Kenstate

Kenstate

• 375 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:04

Ahem! You do remember you had Lewis Hamilton as a team-mate, right Fernando? blink.gif

between spygate, ron dennis and the embarrassment of leaving the team after 1 year, I'm sure that's an experience he'd like to completely forget. a repressed memory

#36 MauricioNP

MauricioNP

• 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:14

These words prove that Fernando Alonso is not the monster that many say. Although I think compliment Felipe Massa is a hidden form of criticizing Ferrari cars again.

#37 toroRosso

toroRosso

• 352 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:57

He'd make an excellent politician for spain.. I don't believe a word he says  :D  after watching him for 10 years

#38 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:18

It isn't sabotage if it is agreed to.  That is what having #1 and #2 status means. 

Alonso was exaggerating anyway.  You seriously believe he feels Massa was faster than Hamilton?

No, but certainly faster than Vetel.

#39 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:22

It was:

whole Mclaren team : Alonso = 108:108

Advertisement

#40 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:55

Good old Fernando, giving compliments and hits at the same time. Good timing. Lewis is entering to one of his sentimental periods anyways, so it may even work.

#41 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:13

Normally I know Fernando for his logically considered comments, but this is a bit of an odd one.

#42 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:42

Senna had 1985-1994

Schumi had 1994-2002

Prost 1983-1990

Alonso's longevity is up there with the greats. It is therefore no shame for Kimi or Massa to be struggling against Alonso. It is a bit like Keke Rosberg struggling against Prost, or Elio de Angelis being shown up by Senna

What is also remarkable? If one compares those periods of those three drivers, then it will be quite obvious that Alonso had the least amount of really great cars (only 2005-2007), while Prost had, bar 1987 (although after about three races into the season even someone like Johansson was second behind leader Prost in the WDC table, so I don't know whether the car was always a soapbox that year), almost only really good to dominant cars. Same goes for Senna: apart from 1988-1990, he never had clearly the best cars from 1985 until at least 1993.

And that's what's so special about Alonso: that with the beginning of 2008 (six/seven years ago by now!!!), he has been driving all these mules and still finding the motivation and still showing that high frequency of great seasons against champions (Raikkonen), against apparently still fast almost champions (Massa), against youngsters who at that time were said to be fast (Grosjean)...

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:44

Well both Rob Smedley and Massa both acknowledge that Alonso is a very very fast and that was something Massa found difficult to cope up with. How do you explain Massa matching Kimi in 2007-09? Ferrari likes to have clearly marked no. 2 drivers but that is mostly down to driver skill they just choose their team compositon this way. It is not the team that sabotages them and turns them into a no. 2 driver. 

Of course Alonso and Massa are fast.  I didn't suggest otherwise.  My post was focused on the irony of his last statement about finishing ahead of Massa in the upcoming race and not finishing behind him anymore. 

Barrichello, Massa were spectacular on their days but were nowhere on numerous occasions that led to them being designated no.2s. They thought Kimi would be like Schumi but he was not. He could'nt dominate Massa but the case was different with Alonso and funnily the accusations that Ferrari sabotages no.2 drivers, unequal treatment ec. resurfaced. 

What Ferrari was hoping for was the continued success they had with Schumi (6 WCCs and 5 WDCs) - not for Kimi and Alonso to dominate their teammates. 

Germany 2010 was unfortunate not because of team orders (there were many instances before that when team orders were executed despite being illegal) but because of the way they were executed majorly due to smedley being peeved about it. I'd say it was a good move by Ferrari seeing how the season panned out.

Agreed, but I was addressing it from Massa and Smedley's point of view. 

#44 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:51

Yes, it's hard to grab pole in the 2nd fastest team when the most dominant team cock up their qualy laps. 

Also, it's even more spectacular when you finish less than a tenth ahead of your teammate who's only in his 3rd year in the sport, while you're in your 12th season. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Massa and I think that he's fast but he's being overblown to massive proportions right now due to this one pole that happened purely because Hamilton messed up. Otherwise, sure, it was a great lap, probably one of his best since 2008 but I don't think Alonso was in the right state of mind labeling him as his fastest teammate so far. 

#45 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:59

but I don't think Alonso was in the right state of mind labeling him as his fastest teammate so far. 

I think you are missing the point of what he said, is about friendship and validation of his neverending support for Felipe. At least in my point of view.

#46 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:01

Normally I know Fernando for his logically considered comments, but this is a bit of an odd one.

Actually, Fernando is quite consistent in this matter: he has been saying for years now that Massa is fast. Of course, he always says that in relation to qualifying, and never about race pace (with good reason to do so), but this is not a new thought from him, and I happen to think there are no altruistic reasons behind it, he really thinks that way. 

#47 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:07

What about Fernando being genuinely happy for Felipe?

#48 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:10

Alonso needs to stop dominating his team mates too much, maybe just beat them by a few tenths here or there or they will look mediocre :p

There were teammates Alonso did not dominate: Hamilton, Trulli. So maybe it's not a matter of Alonso being of so out of this world, just that maybe Massa is really not all that after all. And I can't see how Massa being on pole 0.090 seconds ahead of his almost rookie teammate changes anything about him generally.

Edited by Galko877, 22 June 2014 - 08:12.

#49 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:12

Shots fired!

what happened to the mutual love fest with hamilton  :lol:

#50 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:15

Actually, Fernando is quite consistent in this matter: he has been saying for years now that Massa is fast. Of course, he always says that in relation to qualifying, and never about race pace (with good reason to do so), but this is not a new thought from him, and I happen to think there are no altruistic reasons behind it, he really thinks that way. 

There's a difference between 'fast' and 'fastest'. And I think that's the stretch he makes. Especially because even if he refers to just qualifying, Lewis and Jarno certainly weren't cookies for him.