- - - - -

The TV Sound of F1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 14:00

The Austrian F1 has just finished and was duly watched on tv as normally done.

During the race it seemed to me that the background sound of the F1 cars for this race was markedly different than I have been used to for this year's turbo cars.  Specifically, the pitch sounded much deeper than I have ever heard from turbo cars on tv or live.  The sound was also much louder and seemed quite out of sync with what the tv picture was showing.

The one exception was when showing in car camera shots which seemed much in order with what my memory allows me in comparison.

Unfortunately I have cleaned off all my recordings of past races from this year so I can't make a direct comparison.  Does anyone have recordings of earlier races from this year that can be compared with an Austrian race recording??

I would be very happy to hear from anyone that can make a direct comparison.

Not that I think that F1 would doctor their feed for the tv viewing customer.  Or would they???  My memory may be poor!!

Regards

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 15:20

Sound is bouncing of the mountains? This isn't a Tilke-plain.

#3 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 15:25

My friend and I spoke to a TV tech at Montreal. He said that they were not allowed to alter the position of the microphones from their proscribed position. So, perhaps it was the bowl effect as SenorSjon suggested.

#4 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 15:36

My friend and I spoke to a TV tech at Montreal. He said that they were not allowed to alter the position of the microphones from their proscribed position. So, perhaps it was the bowl effect as SenorSjon suggested.

But this track hasn't been used since 2003, so perhaps they used new positions for the microphones here as there wasn't a recent precedent?

#5 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 16:05

No difference for me. Just an awful sound especially compared to the classic cars pre-race. Awesome V10.

#6 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 16:08

They've changed the sound setup a few times this season I think, and it keeps getting better. So I'll put it down to that. I didn't really notice any difference though.

Edited by SpartanChas, 22 June 2014 - 16:09.

#7 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 17:51

Well,.... The redesign from the old osterreichring is actually from mr Tilke.

#8 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 17:59

It's obvious the microphones are placed in such a way that there is no way for them to pick up anything interesting.

Edit: Plurals was false, they seem to use only one.

Edited by ardbeg, 22 June 2014 - 18:00.

#9 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:11

u.s. broadcast sounded just as bad as always.

#10 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:23

He was the designer of the A1 ring though..

#11 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:30

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I still love all the background sounds we get now, like the screech of tyres. I think it adds texture.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:56

He was the designer of the A1 ring though..

Not from scratch though.

#13 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,299 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:26

After just having watched some lower formula racing at Spa and than switching to F1 in Austria on RTL Germany..... The F1 cars accelerating onto the straight were terrible to the ears. It just does not sound right. I am not even talking about the volume. They just do not sound like state of the art race car engines. I'd rather have no sound at all, but than I'd miss the radio communication.

#14 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 215 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:46

u.s. broadcast sounded just as bad as always.

in the uk. bbc its also terrible as the commentator volume is up at 10 and the world feed volume is down at 5 so you cant hear the cars at all. and then on sky they get it perfect where you can here the noise

#15 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 13:11

The noise from cars this week-end was noticeably better on SKY, whether because of the natural amphitheatre acoustic at parts of the track or just well placed mics compared to usual.

Its something typical of Hockenheim also.

Not just the engines, but the gearchanges had the synth keyboard tunes normally only heard trackside, plus clear tyre screech.

The anthems / podium music also came through really well. 

Good job on audio all around.

On a general note this year's F1 noise is a tad underwhelming compared to previously, but its been heading that way since the V10s, the higher rev limit, banshee wail and metallica clang on gears was blood curdling.

I'm expecting Silverstone to be like hearing myself hoovering with it being such an open space. 

Edited by Joe Tanto, 23 June 2014 - 13:12.