- - - - -

Gear Ratio Changes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 17:38

All the teams can change their ratios once this year, but the only team I'm aware of having done so is RB quite early on. So simple question, has any of the other teams changed theirs yet?

Advertisement

#2 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:01

I thought Ferrari had changed theirs quite early on too.

#3 blacky

blacky

• 2,361 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 18:03

I thought Ferrari had changed theirs quite early on too.

This was just a rumour.

#4 hollus

hollus

• 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 20:46

Clatter, do you have a source for that?

I've done this:

http://www.f1technic...php?f=4&t=18700

and Red Bull had the same ratios in Monaco as they had in Australia. I suspect that if they changed, them they did before the first race of the season, which wouldn't count.

Same for Ferrari, same ratios in Monaco as in Malaysia. But the rumours keeps reappearing.

AFAICT, nobody changed the ratios so far.

#5 united2010

united2010

• 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 20:56

Toro Rosso are the only team to have used their 'joker'. Both drivers had new ratios put in before Monaco

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 21:12

Clatter, do you have a source for that?

I've done this:

http://www.f1technic...php?f=4&t=18700

and Red Bull had the same ratios in Monaco as they had in Australia. I suspect that if they changed, them they did before the first race of the season, which wouldn't count.

Same for Ferrari, same ratios in Monaco as in Malaysia. But the rumours keeps reappearing.

AFAICT, nobody changed the ratios so far.

Have to say I've not seen it in print and can't find anything on it now. It was reported on TV that they had changed their ratios to help with issues they were having with the engine, but maybe that was actually pre-season.

I'm a bit surprised that we have reached this stage of the season with no changes. 

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 21:14

Toro Rosso are the only team to have used their 'joker'. Both drivers had new ratios put in before Monaco

Cheers. Had no idea they had,

#8 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 21:57

What intrigues me is that Williams have the lowest gear ratios of all the Merc teams and everyone thought they'd change their ratios after Monaco. They didn't and on the fastest tracks (Bahrain, Montreal and Austria) they're inevitably fastest in the speed traps. Either they've got their ratios spot on or the car is extremely slippery through the air or perhaps a combination of both?

#9 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 23:41

I think it's more about aero than gear ratios for Williams, but it's all just guesses.  It could also be the gear ratios, and all the little factors add up.

Edited by HoldenRT, 22 June 2014 - 23:41.