- - - - -

London Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:30

I'm sure this comes up every year or so, but take a look at this....

I mean if this could ever happen, how awesome would it be?

Edited by f1fan1998, 24 June 2014 - 10:30.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:29

London's getting a E-Prix though.

#3 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:27

Hah that would be ace as I could walk to the track from where I live pretty much. 

But, as nice as the idea is, since I moved to London I realised that such a thing could never happen here sadly. Unless they put it maybe quite far out, but that would defeat the object. 

Brands Hatch is the closest we'll get to a London GP. 

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,245 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:11

Yeah..

With the cast of Eastenders as drivers.

Circuit marked out with bike racks and orange cones.

Chicanes made of market stalls.

Pit stops down the Queen Vic.

Yellow Hi-Viz jacketed Grid Girls.

Mechanics dressed as Pearly Kings and Queens

Wide Boys and Slap Heads as track marshals.

I could go ON and ON but the 13:55 from Climthorpe has just arrived, it's 15:03, and I'd best be on it.

Jp

#5 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:29

Not a good time to be talking about the "sounds" of an F1 car echoing down the streets of London.

Edited by johnmhinds, 24 June 2014 - 14:29.

#6 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 14:30

http://raceweeklondon.com/

Anyone attending this? Sounds like a mini Goodwood FOS... 

#7 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 15:43

http://raceweeklondon.com/

Anyone attending this? Sounds like a mini Goodwood FOS...

I would, but I'll be at Goodwood this weekend, so its probably not terribly worth it.

#8 MercAMG

MercAMG

• 27 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 15:53

That Formula E race due to happen will cause enough chaos without an F1 race on top. London doesn't need a Grand Prix and F1 doesn't need a London Grand Prix. It will never happen, the Gov won't help fund it for a start and no one in London will want the streets plunged into chaos for three days over a weekend for the sake of a motor race that only appears once a year. Too much trouble.

#9 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 16:48

I would, but I'll be at Goodwood this weekend, so its probably not terribly worth it.

What exactly is this? All I can get from the

link is a request to sign up for updates!

Seems the Sauber tean is involved? As they have been rubbish this year will not  attract much interest-for a moment I thought might be a chance to see my favouite driver Simona de Silvrestro who was signed as reserve driver but has not been head of since!

London GP has always been a fantasy of mine-hope to go to the e-formula race if it happens-I remember going to power boat racing in the London docks.

#10 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 16:49

Lets see if the FE race happens. If so, I wouldn't rule it out because it would be considerably better placed than most European events to generate enough revenue to cover the hosting fee without subsidy. And franky, the poposed FE venue has considerably better and more resilient infrastructure to get a big crowd in and out efficiently than Silverstone does. So it has a lot going for it. The problem is that the UK is a democracy, and Greater London is a functioning regional democracy with an elected mayor, so there will always be a need for legislation, planning decisions, public consultations etc, and this creates uncertainty.

Why should FOM take a chance on an event that would be hugely popular and spectacularly well attended, and independently viable, when they can put a dull race on at a soulless Tilkedrome in Azerbaijan, knowing that if the dictator says the race is happening, the race is happening, the locals don't have a thing they can say about it, although they will be compelled to provide a near 100% subsidy for it?

#11 masa90

masa90

• 2,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 17:31

Quite funny that in advert they are raving about the sound yet use the old v8 engine (wonder why that is cough... :D)

Could be cool in theory, but streetraces hardly work well for racing so im not too much of a fan.

#12 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 119 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:56

Saw this on the BBC site today, thought it might be relevent!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-28261960

The government is to change the law to give local authorities the power to stage motor races on public roads...

#13 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:13

Saw this on the BBC site today, thought it might be relevent!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-28261960

Yeah, it's exactly what I'm saying though, isn't it? It's progress because if this goes through, which it will, it will be up to local government to decide on street races as opposed to them being banned outright by national legislation. But there will still need to be individual public consultations before an event can get the go-ahead, which is invariably the case in democracies, which is just one more reason why Bernie exhibits a preference for holding races in dictatorships.

#14 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:26

ditch london and Silverstone and but it on in milton keynes, its easy to get to from london/manchester/birmingham/glasgow etc, its close to most teams, and most importantly its local for me   :cat:

Edited by kraduk, 11 July 2014 - 12:26.

#15 pdac

pdac

• 17,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:43

I'm sure this comes up every year ....

Yes, it comes up every year and no, it's NEVER EVER EVER going to happen. The only possibility of a 'London' Grand Prix is if you use the Ryanair definition of 'London' (i.e. somewhere about 50 miles away from central London).

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 15:37

Yes, it comes up every year and no, it's NEVER EVER EVER going to happen. The only possibility of a 'London' Grand Prix is if you use the Ryanair definition of 'London' (i.e. somewhere about 50 miles away from central London).

Or CART's.

Edited by Risil, 11 July 2014 - 15:38.

#17 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 15:50

I don't know, I definitely reckon the Battersea Park Formula E event has a good chance. Does anyone know what grade of FIA license that track will have to get in order to be homologated for Formula E? Will it be a lower standard than you'd need for Formula 1? Is there any known reason why that track couldn't get a Grade 1 license and stage a Formula 1 Grand Prix?

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 16:29

I don't know, I definitely reckon the Battersea Park Formula E event has a good chance. Does anyone know what grade of FIA license that track will have to get in order to be homologated for Formula E? Will it be a lower standard than you'd need for Formula 1? Is there any known reason why that track couldn't get a Grade 1 license and stage a Formula 1 Grand Prix?

I think that the Formula E people think that they can just chuck down a few straw bales on the corners and line the route with those steel barriers to keep the public 'safe', and Bob's your uncle.  To set up a track meeting the FIA's requirements for F1 or other top level series in Battersea Park would leave precious little of Battersea Park intact.  All those pesky trees would have to go for a start, not to mention that wretched Peace Pagoda.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 16:31

But as we've been over before, Formula E won't have to meet the super FIA safety levels. They'll be on or around F3 type safety. So a bit of guardrail and away you go. Plus the tracks don't need to be as long. 

Advertisement

#20 Fudce

Fudce

• 310 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 16:39

Screw a London Grand Prix, this could pave the way the the return of the Birmingham Super Prix (though they'd have to change the location, as a lot of the old 'track' is not really raceable... maybe have it located in the Castle Vale/Fort Dunlop area for double-motorsport heritage points?

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 16:46

But as we've been over before, Formula E won't have to meet the super FIA safety levels. They'll be on or around F3 type safety. So a bit of guardrail and away you go. Plus the tracks don't need to be as long. 

But even track standards suitable for a club racing meeting - eg. Cadwell Park or Mallory Park - would require a major investment and would mean tearing up half of Battersea Park, which really wouldn't be popular with many people.  It's a lot more than a bit of guardrail.  Battersea Park isn't a suitable venue.  Richmond Park or Hyde Park might be OK at a pinch - there is at least plenty of space.

#22 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 17:21

It's time for a combined BTCC + historic festival in either Cardiff or Swansea. Put a bit more of the B in the BTCC.

#23 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:40

B for Bristol of course. And we have lots of hills too.

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 20:15

Put a bit more of the B in the BTCC.

Like the B in Wales Rally GB?

#25 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 20:20

ditch london and Silverstone and but it on in milton keynes, its easy to get to from london/manchester/birmingham/glasgow etc, its close to most teams, and most importantly its local for me   :cat:

WHAT?...

You might as well have it in Croydon.

Nico would show up...I'm sure of it.

Jp

#26 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 21:13

F1 in London was chaos, I remember watching in astonishment at the pandemonium that day. Bernie would love it, he could justify binning the GP at Silverstone.

I'd rather they brought back the Birmingham Superprix, complete with Rouse, Gravett, Harvey et al. and the RS500's. Now that was enjoyable motorsport, in the 'Monaco of the Midlands' no less!

Edited by superden, 11 July 2014 - 21:14.

#27 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 21:45

I think that the Formula E people think that they can just chuck down a few straw bales on the corners and line the route with those steel barriers to keep the public 'safe', and Bob's your uncle.  To set up a track meeting the FIA's requirements for F1 or other top level series in Battersea Park would leave precious little of Battersea Park intact.  All those pesky trees would have to go for a start, not to mention that wretched Peace Pagoda.

Well regardless of what they may think, I notice the published summary of the WMSC meeting at which the FIA ratified the last version but one of the Formula E calendar, did contain a footnote to the effect that none of the venues had as yet been homologated (this was only six weeks ago) and all of the events were subject to FIA homologation. But it didn't say what standard the tracks would have to meet, which may indicate that the FIA is leaving itself scope to move the goalposts a little bit, if required, to get these events on.

EDIT: After a bit of digging around, it seems they're looking to get a grade 3 license, but they probably won't get that unless they have permanent yellow flag zones at the "pinch points" where the track is going to be too narrow. So yes, I agree, not suitable for F1. Or FE, come to that.

Edited by redreni, 12 July 2014 - 20:57.

#28 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 22:04

F1 in London was chaos, I remember watching in astonishment at the pandemonium that day. Bernie would love it, he could justify binning the GP at Silverstone.

I'd rather they brought back the Birmingham Superprix, complete with Rouse, Gravett, Harvey et al. and the RS500's. Now that was enjoyable motorsport, in the 'Monaco of the Midlands' no less!

Yes, every time I step out of New Street Station I think of Monaco. It must be the sunshine, the sparkling blue sea, all those millionaires and tax-exiles in Ferraris - and of course the chic local accent.

#29 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 22:06

I'm sure this comes up every year or so, but take a look at this....

It'd be as awesome as having all the FA Cup semi-finals and England football matches in London.  I.e. complete, total and utter **** for the vast majority of the country, but brilliant for the pissed-up inbred tax-fiddling corpo-criminal Hooray Henrys who would probably think Jackie Stewart is in with a chance.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 22:08

Screw a London Grand Prix, this could pave the way the the return of the Birmingham Super Prix (though they'd have to change the location, as a lot of the old 'track' is not really raceable... maybe have it located in the Castle Vale/Fort Dunlop area for double-motorsport heritage points?

Just bung it around the Queensway.  Multiple tunnels, high speed, elevation changes. 

#31 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 13:51

It'd be as awesome as having all the FA Cup semi-finals and England football matches in London.  I.e. complete, total and utter **** for the vast majority of the country, but brilliant for the pissed-up inbred tax-fiddling corpo-criminal Hooray Henrys who would probably think Jackie Stewart is in with a chance.

May I suggest, if you find it difficult to get to London, that you ought to consider moving nearer to London? Because realistically, unless you absolutely insist on driving to an event that's attended by tens of thousands of people, spending a fortune on parking and praying that it doesn't rain, or spending slightly less on off-site parking and then being bussed in via heavily congested roads, as people do at Silverstone, it's probably as well to hold an event of that nature in a place that has decent public transport links to pretty much the entire country and to the country's biggest airport, and plenty of hotel rooms so that fans can opt to stay overnight near the venue.

#32 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 16:22

It'd be as awesome as having all the FA Cup semi-finals and England football matches in London. I.e. complete, total and utter **** for the vast majority of the country, but brilliant for the pissed-up inbred tax-fiddling corpo-criminal Hooray Henrys who would probably think Jackie Stewart is in with a chance.

I live in London and frequently attend events. You haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

This comes up every year, a London GP won't happen.

#33 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 18:54

May I suggest, if you find it difficult to get to London, that you ought to consider moving nearer to London?

For some odd reason my work is (mostly) not in London.  As indeed is the work of the vast majority of the population.

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 19:32

Yeah but you people are tribal, if you can stitch together a coalition you're welcome to dethrone London.

#35 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 21:06

For some odd reason my work is (mostly) not in London.  As indeed is the work of the vast majority of the population.

Understood, I just had to get the dig in. I notice you're a Blues fan. Both my parents are Brummies (Villa fans I'm afraid), so I'm well aware that the London-centricity of the British establishment doesn't go down too well everywhere. I'd have nothing against staging races in other major cities either, but I do think that when you're talking about the really big crowds, there are advantages to holding them in cities rather than in the middle of nowhere, because access is always an issue. If there was a facility in London that could host a Grand Prix and had something approaching Silverstone's capacity, they could charge twice what Silverstone does and sell out easily every year.

#36 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 22:24

There was Crystal Palace.  The locals didn't seem that dischuffed when that went the way of Gransden Lodge.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 23:10

Not to mention Speedway at the likes of Wembley, White City, Harringay, New Cross and West Ham.

#38 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 23:16

The old West Ham speedway track used to home Thames Association.  The most obscure ex-Football League club.  In their two seasons of existence, their claim to fame was having a crowd of 469 to play Luton Town.  In a bowl that could hold 120,000.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 23:22

Fantastic!

Advertisement

#40 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:21

Not to mention Speedway at the likes of Wembley, White City, Harringay, New Cross and West Ham.

I also remember going to short oval (stock car or banger racing) at Walthamstow some time in the 70s.Nearest to a 'London GP' must have been a demo tied in with  the 'Lord Mayors Show' Nov.1964.Or the Indylantic launch outside Capital Radio in 1976.?

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:14

Here we go again...

http://www.crash.net...ised-again.html

#42 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:19

Was just about to search for this thread, seen this.....

http://metro.co.uk/2...london-5653739/

#43 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:20

How many times are we going to have to repeat "never in a million years" this time?

#44 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:37

Seems like the only new piece of information is that Parliament may pass legislation making it easier to close roads to put on some motor racing.

I'd imagine Formula E and TT-style bike racing will be the immediate beneficiaries.

#45 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:52

Cameron promised that closed roads for motorsport would be delivered.  Another broken election pledge.  Despite the Deregulation Act, it now seems that another bill is required.  And with the election a memory, that is about as high a priority for this government as renationalising the steel industry.

So forget a London GP.  It simply isn't possible.  Not that it was ever a realistic proposition, just a fluffy piece for lazy journalists to trot out every now and then..

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 21:01

Something something SANTANDER something mock-up.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 31 January 2016 - 21:01.

#47 043Max

043Max

• 390 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 21:12

I think a F1 race on the Moon would be more plausible than a F1 race in the streets of London.

#48 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 21:17

No thanks. I hate London, it's a shithole.

#49 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 21:19

I prefer a race in Croydon

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 21:37

We need closure!