Photo

Paul England RIP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:04

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been mentioned here yet .....

http://tributes.hera...notice/50962064

Advertisement

#2 cooper997

cooper997

• 901 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:41

The passing of another Aussie who loved his engineering and one of the small number of Australian's who have started in a F1 Grand Prix.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Geoff. Because the link will disappear fairly soon, this is the family's Herald-Sun tribute from 18/6/14.

ENGLAND. Paul Thomas. 28.3.1929 - 17.6.2014 Passed away peacefully Dearly loved husband of Marj. Loving father of Lisa, Anthony, Christopher, Genevieve and families. Many thanks to all the wonderful staff at Embracia, Templestowe. You will always be in our hearts and thoughts

My condolences to Paul's family and friends. Best way to celebrate his passing is to show off a little of his ability.

England_2.jpg
post a picture

England_3.jpg
imgurl

England_4.jpg
image free hosting

England_5.jpg
picture host

Paul started this German GP in the #26 Cooper T41 Ridgeways Managements entry. But retired after 4 laps. The car became better known as the 'Miller Special' around Australian race circuits with Aussie Miller.

Stephen

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,172 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 17:13

Sorry to hear this news, although I knew he was ill. Very surprised no-one reported it earlier on here. A truly gifted engineer which should be his legacy rather than a fleeting appearance at a Grand Prix.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 24 June 2014 - 17:14.

#4 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 00:51

VALE. :up:

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,324 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:55

That very sad news indeed such a great man.RIP

Seen below giving instruction to Tony Stewart at Calder.

FERF6ZVl.jpg

#6 seldo

seldo

• 1,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:29

So Sad...

It's scary that we /  I am seeing so many of these legends moving on from this world.

All my life I have lusted after the Ausca which I have always thought was the epitome of Australia's racing specials. I have always thought it was an amazingly beautiful car, as well as a very successful one, and one whose successes I followed with baited breath as a fanatical schoolboy.

Yet the Ausca was but one example of his engineering prowess.

Paul was a very talented engineer whose loss will create a huge void in our sport/industry.

Edited by seldo, 25 June 2014 - 12:41.

#7 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:46

I initially sourced this reference from the Vic Historic Rally Assoc Facebook page. Although I was never fortunate enough to see the hillclimb cars of the day in action I was always fascinated by Paul England's twin VW engined device. From Wikipedia ....  "After his return from Europe, England used a car by the same name Ausca but was a totally different creation - an 1800cc VW in front and a 2200cc VW in back both supercharged by the one supercharger with a special manifold to take the compressed intake to the other end, to win three Australian Hillclimb Championships, in 1970, 1973 and 1974." When you look at what else he did he was definitely a very talented engineer.

From what I can gather the AHC is now a single event championship rather then a series?

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,291 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 19:45

Some of his character shines through in the poem I wrote about the Rose City 10,000...

http://forums.autosp...0/#entry3668569

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:23

Another constructor/ driver. So many of his style have died in recent years. I feel I ever only saw him compete the once. His passing is very sad.

My condolences to family and friends

#10 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 347 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 22:22

Perhaps timely to link this earlier thread on Paul England.

http://forums.autosp...=+paul +england