* * * - - 11 votes

Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg 2014 Part V

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4025 replies to this topic

#51 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 16:38

lewis said he kept losing power during the race..he said it was wierd,and it needed to be looked at......Hamilton said: "I easily had the pace [to win] but something was weird. My power was dropping and his wasn't and we need to investigate what that was. We're always trying to manage power. Perhaps we could have been a bit more optimal."

Tin foil hat on.. Perhaps Mercedes was pulse modulating Lewis engine so as to avoid what happened in Canada  :drunk:? On a more serious note, I am often guilty of wanting Lewis to mentally destroy Nico during Qualy runs, which is not happening unfortunately. I sincerely hope lewis get back to driving within himself rather than driving beyond the limit of the car i.e Austria.  

Edited by micktosin, 27 June 2014 - 16:39.

Advertisement

#52 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,581 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 17:02

I think it's far more personal preference than car/team dependant. *

And anyway, Hamilton just loves to design his own stuff, be it caps or steering wheels. And tell people about it, of course.  ;)

* Schumacher basically did it his whole career, even in near perfect cars.

Hamilton was associated with McLaren for a decade almost, if not more. I think some of McLaren DID rub off on him and it shows in even in the car (well, steering wheel and how he likes it). If a broken tile, fused off light-bulb is not tolerated in MTC, where he spent reasonable amount of time one assumes, that may ever so slightly influence thoughts/ behaviour. May be the clean streamlined bit has seeped into the in car environment for him... and it could be just that simple. I think it is to his credit, if he is able to work it to his advantage.

Schumacher was notorious for fiddling with bits... in his endless quest of exploring the limits. :D

#53 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,581 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 17:16

Tin foil hat on.. Perhaps Mercedes was pulse modulating Lewis engine so as to avoid what happened in Canada  :drunk:? On a more serious note, I am often guilty of wanting Lewis to mentally destroy Nico during Qualy runs, which is not happening unfortunately. I sincerely hope lewis get back to driving within himself rather than driving beyond the limit of the car i.e Austria.  

First of all, what you suggest is not strictly adhering to rules (illegal), i.e, pit to car control... Secondly, if an engine is to be turned down, they would have to tune that engine down before/ between the sessions begin on Saturday. If it doesn't happen then, then Hamilton has to run engine in a spec which allows for preservation(**** you FIA, now we're talking about making jams as we speak of F1 and will only happen more with reduced engines).

Could just be more problems with MGU-H... i don't quite think it was ICE bit, as he may have guessed it already and said so as well. Leads me to think that it is one more case of electronic bits (MGU-H) heating up. That could affect braking, and not just that, with harvest bit not working as intended, it may explain loss of power. I also wonder, if the software prevents use/ overuse when the systems are heating. I mean, that is an easier way to control drivers who will at times behave like toddlers (well this is true about most competitive sport :p), into preserving machinery when they would rather break it to make a point.

#54 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 17:55

Speaking of ICE/MGU-H/electronics and the likes, does anyone have a usage comparison between Nico and Lewis? I am getting increasingly worried about reliability, especially after hearing Lewis is marginal on Electronics.   

#55 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,916 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 19:59

Speaking of ICE/MGU-H/electronics and the likes, does anyone have a usage comparison between Nico and Lewis? I am getting increasingly worried about reliability, especially after hearing Lewis is marginal on Electronics.   

I believe it is 4 to 5 (Nico to Lewis).

But I could be wrong..

#56 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:28

Folks, I've had a vision of next weeks race. Lewis wins in dominant fashion. You will hear the crowds roar in Q3, you will hear them sing Jerusalem, they will pour on to the track after he wins.

The team is back on board with Lewis. Niki is making sure things are fair again. Toto has taken note. he won't have the team playing defense against him.

Play both at the same time for maximum pride.

#57 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:38

The team is back on board with Lewis. Niki is making sure things are fair again. Toto has taken note. he won't have the team playing defense against him. 

Since when has it not been fair ?    

#58 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,415 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:39

I have never been a Mansell fan, I was as a kid before Damon Hill tickled my fancy, but since I became committed to my F1 fandom 2-3 years back, I have found Nige to be somewhat of an annoyance, and a tad overrated. However, recently I have come to appreciate "Our Nige" a bit more. Do not get me wrong, I like a driver to be a "flash boy" as my dear old man likes to say (hence the reason why I bloody love Eddie Irvine), but there is a certain charm to how much the English public took to Nige's grit. His short interview on the F1 Show about his Silverstone memories was excellent.

Anyway, Silverstone is probably do or die for Lewis, and even if he wins, he will probably not be much better off I am afraid. My predictions are a joke at this stage, but I see this as a 50/50 weekend. Nico has a bit more momentum from previous, but previous form at Silverstone seems to slightly favor Lewis. A DNF for Nico would open things wide open again. A DNF for Lewis and it is the final nail in the coffin.

Sounds melodramatic, but I have little confidence in Lewis closing the points score without DNF's. I think Nico is just too quick to lose on track to Lewis consistently. With tracks like Singapore and Spa coming up where Nico should be stronger, it only makes my outlook worse I am afraid

Edited by sennafan24, 27 June 2014 - 22:51.

#59 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:47

Since when has it not been fair ?    

Is that a rhetorical question? 

Bad pit stops, bad strategy, bad set-ups, rules being broken, DNF's. Intended or not Lewis hasn't had a fair shake, IMO. 

Advertisement

#60 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 22:50

I have never been a Mansell fan, I was as a kid before Damon Hill tickled my fancy, but since I became committed to my F1 fandom 2-3 years back, I had found him to be somewhat of an annoyance, and a tad overrated. However, recently I have come to appreciate "Our Nige" a bit more. Do not get me wrong, I like a driver to be a "flash boy" as my dear old man likes to say (hence the reason why I bloody love Eddie Irvine), but there is a certain charm to how much the English public took to Nige's grit. His short interview on the F1 Show about his Silverstone memories was excellent.

Anyway, Silverstone is probably do or die for Lewis, and even if he wins, he will probably not be much better off I am afraid. My predictions are a joke at this stage, but I see this as a 50/50 weekend. Nico has a bit more momentum from previous, but previous form at Silverstone seems to slightly favor Lewis. A DNF for Nico would open things wide open again. A DNF for Lewis and it is the final nail in the coffin.

Sounds melodramatic, but I have little confidence in Lewis closing the points score without DNF's. I think Nico is just too quick to lose on track to Lewis consistently. With tracks like Singapore and Spa coming up where Nico should be stronger, it only makes my outlook worse I am afraid

I have great confidence in Lewis' ability to get the job done. Remember, F1 spelled backwards is 1F!

#61 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,415 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:01

I have great confidence in Lewis' ability to get the job done. Remember, F1 spelled backwards is 1F!

I wish I had your optimism  :up:

#62 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:14

Bad pit stops, bad strategy, bad set-ups, rules being broken, DNF's. Intended or not Lewis hasn't had a fair shake, IMO. 

Not a rhetorical question at all .  

DNF's were part of Nico's year last year, so were team orders.  As far as strategy goes - It's a fact that only Hamilton has been given a pit stop out of sequence with 

reference to Mercedes pit policy ...  so what is not fair about that ??     Slow pit stops in Austria were partly Lewis's fault no ?  Didn't Rosberg have a 4.5s stop in Montreal ?

As for rules being broken and review by stewards ,  since when has that fallen on Mercedes and considered in fairness. relative to the team.   Really ...  this racing and

things have tipped towards Nico because of DNF's  ... but in the rest of what you put forward ,  there's not much merit to it  in my opinion.

#63 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,631 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:19

I wish I had your optimism :up:

Nah come on, 29 points is nothing. The other teams will catch up. If it isn't Red Bull in Hungary we'll have Williams in Spa and Monza. Plenty of opportunity. It is up to Lewis to get the job done, but I am more than sure he will

#64 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:24

DNF's were part of Nico's year last year, so were team orders.  As far as strategy goes - It's a fact that only Hamilton has been given a pit stop out of sequence with 

reference to Mercedes pit policy ...  so what is not fair about that ??     Slow pit stops in Austria were partly Lewis's fault no ?  Didn't Rosberg have a 4.5s stop in Montreal ?

As for rules being broken and review by stewards ,  since when has that fallen on Mercedes and considered in fairness. relative to the team.   Really ...  this racing and

things have tipped towards Nico because of DNF's  ... but in the rest of what you put forward ,  there's not much merit to it  in my opinion.

One 4.5 second stop is a heck of a lot better than two stops a bit over a second slower on each. 

You make good points though. I am absolutely sure a more level headed and rational poster would agree with you, unfortunately you are talking to me.

Something about these past races doesn't sit well with me. If Lewis and Co., comes out and has a flawless and clean weekend in England then that would only affirm my stupid logic. 

#65 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:27

I've also had a vision for Silverstone. Lewis leads by 30 seconds with 4 laps to go. The safety car comes out after Maldonado stalls his car on track because of the surprise that he hasn't crashed anyone out yet. The SC comes in with one lap to go, on the very final lap Nico enters the pit stop (only being 1 second behind Lewis) and manages to beat Lewis to the line by a few thousands because the pit-lane entrance cuts the Club and Vale corner complex altogether.

Nico keeps his win after the stewards realize that there's no rule against entering the pit-lane on the last lap, and he extends his championship lead to 36 points.

#66 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:29

I've also had a vision for Silverstone. Lewis leads by 30 seconds with 4 laps to go. The safety car comes out after Maldonado stalls his car on track because of the surprise that he hasn't crashed anyone out yet. The SC comes in with one lap to go, on the very final lap Nico enters the pit stop (only being 1 second behind Lewis) and manages to beat Lewis to the line by a few thousands because the pit-lane entrance cuts the Club and Vale corner complex altogether.

Nico keeps his win after the stewards realize that there's no rule against entering the pit-lane on the last lap, and he extends his championship lead to 36 points.

I have a vision of you being placed on my ignore list! 

:p

Also no way that happens if Nico is behind Lewis, The 60kph speed limit would kill that. 

Edited by SR388, 27 June 2014 - 23:31.

#67 Exb

Exb

• 1,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:30

I believe it is 4 to 5 (Nico to Lewis).
But I could be wrong..

Don't panic - both have used the same amounts and no-one has more spares except in ES units where a few have only used 2 so far.
(both used their 3rd ICE, TC, MGU-K, MGU-H, ES and CE in Austria)

Usage before Austria: http://184.106.145.7...ocument - 3.pdf
New units put in for Austria: http://184.106.145.7...ocument - 8.pdf

Edited by Exb, 27 June 2014 - 23:35.

#68 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,415 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:30

Sounds bloody crap   ;)

things have tipped towards Nico because of DNF's 

I respect your posts, as you validate your arguments by making balanced statements like this  :up:

Nah come on, 29 points is nothing. The other teams will catch up. If it isn't Red Bull in Hungary we'll have Williams in Spa and Monza. Plenty of opportunity. It is up to Lewis to get the job done, but I am more than sure he will

Fair play

I do not see things that way, but then again, I am a classic cynic.

#69 redreni

redreni

• 2,564 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:45

I have never been a Mansell fan, I was as a kid before Damon Hill tickled my fancy, but since I became committed to my F1 fandom 2-3 years back, I have found Nige to be somewhat of an annoyance, and a tad overrated. However, recently I have come to appreciate "Our Nige" a bit more. Do not get me wrong, I like a driver to be a "flash boy" as my dear old man likes to say (hence the reason why I bloody love Eddie Irvine), but there is a certain charm to how much the English public took to Nige's grit. His short interview on the F1 Show about his Silverstone memories was excellent.

Almost the entire 1993 Indycar season coverage is on Youtube, or was last time I checked. He won his first ever Indycar race on a street course in Perth, but had no experience of oval racing at all. On his first time on an oval, he hit the concrete wall so hard in practice that he knocked a hole clean through it, and had to watch the race from his sickbed after discharging himself from hospital, asking for and being denied permission to start the race from the back, and going home. On his second race on an oval, which happened to be the Indy 500, he was leading with 16 laps to go, raced toe to toe with Emmerson Fittipaldi, and ended up on the podium, ahead of his teammate Andretti. In his third race on an oval, he won. He won 4 oval races in total that year on his way to the title, including the gruelling Michigan 500 and the race that won him the title, the short oval at Nazareth, where he was an absolute lunatic through the traffic throughout the event, to the point where the other drivers seemed happy to let him go and wait for him to crash, which he did not do. It's impossible, having watched all that, to have anything but total respect for the guy, in my opinion.

Back to the topic, it doesn't matter if it's fair or not, there is a points gap. But it's quite a small points gap, because Rosberg only needs to have one DNF and it will all but vanish. He needs to focus on building the advantage. At the moment, Hamilton can console himself with the knowledge that his pace has been strong, even in the last three races where he has been defeated. But I think it would be a mistake to assume that he is substantially faster than Rosberg, particularly on race pace. Hamilton looked quicker in Canada, where Rosberg was under significant pressure for the lead and would have liked to pull out a gap to break the DRS, although it should be remembered that Rosberg did have to lift and coast there, and the DRS was giving Hamilton a laptime advantage when he had it. But in Monaco and Spielberg, Rosberg appeared to have pace in his pocket, picking up his pace when he needed to at Spielberg to gap Bottas and cover Hamilton's undercut, and then responding to Hamilton's sector times to keep out of DRS range thereafter. So qualifying will continue to be the key determining factor in most races, and it's been a catalogue of errors from both drivers so far this season.

#70 redreni

redreni

• 2,564 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 23:55

And I'd add that, while Australia was just bad luck as far as we know, the suggestion from Hamilton himself is that the problem both cars suffered in Canada which ended his race, but did not end Rosberg's, because Rosberg had been running in clean air. So if he'd got pole, he probably would have finished, and Rosberg probably would have retired. Of course there is also the fact that he had a more rearward brake balance, which won't have helped his rear brake temps either, but that's also down to him (might be why he lost the rear under braking at Spielberg, too). And if everything had been competely "fair" at that race i.e. no mechanical problems and equal pitstop times, as far as we can tell, Rosberg was ahead and presumably would have stayed there. So whilst I think Hamilton was unlucky to retire and lose 18 points to Rosberg at that race, I do think he would have been lucky not to lose 7, because Rosberg got the pole and was winning before the slow pitstop.

#71 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 00:15

One 4.5 second stop is a heck of a lot better than two stops a bit over a second slower on each. 

You make good points though. I am absolutely sure a more level headed and rational poster would agree with you, unfortunately you are talking to me.

Something about these past races doesn't sit well with me. If Lewis and Co., comes out and has a flawless and clean weekend in England then that would only affirm my stupid logic. 

As I recall Nico lost 1.5s on that one stop alone  ... but he didn't overshoot the mark like Hamilton did in Austria .    The team will do better with both, hopefully.

#72 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,525 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 00:36

Nico wouldn't win under such circumstances and would actually receive some form of penalty.  Rules preventing this were introduced after Ferrari used a similar strategy with Schumacher one year.  I think it was 1998.

#73 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 00:45

Nico wouldn't win under such circumstances and would actually receive some form of penalty.  Rules preventing this were introduced after Ferrari used a similar strategy with Schumacher one year.  I think it was 1998.

I believe that was different.

Schumacher completed his penalty on the final lap because it wouldn't cost him as much as a normal penalty would

There is no rule which states that you can't enter the pitlane on the final lap if you are not due a penalty.

#74 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 00:47

Also no way that happens if Nico is behind Lewis, The 60kph speed limit would kill that. 

Actually, Silverstone is the only circuit where going into the pitlane will actually improve your lap-time. I believe that a number of drivers in 2013 did their fastest lap when entering the pitlane.

I don't know how relevant this is, but on Codemasters too my fastest lap during a Silverstone race will always occur when I'm entering the pitlane.

That pitlane entrance is very unique indeed.

#75 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:04

Folks, I've had a vision of next weeks race. Lewis wins in dominant fashion. You will hear the crowds roar in Q3, you will hear them sing Jerusalem, they will pour on to the track after he wins.

i didn't had a vision per say ... but it'd be funny if lewis loses to Rosberg and this plays in the background ... sung by nico with an air guitar

The highway's screamin', callin' out your name

Cause every road that you travel on

There's a price to pay

A thousands eyes are starin'

But the blind still lead the blind

''Where will you turn if it all goes wrong and you're on the run

Jerusalem?''

Edited by eronrules, 28 June 2014 - 01:41.

#76 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,581 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:15

Bad pit stops happened for both at different races... surely you mean brake bias when you say set-up, but can you be sure it was done on purpose? I'll give you a DNF at Australia.... all that however, doesn't answer the bit questioned by Riverside, and that was how were things not fair at Mercedes as you implied (or didn't realise that it is how it comes across). As far as i'm concerned, i was actually ridiculing the notion that they'd let them race, but so far, they have been doing a bang up job and fairly enough.

#77 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:46

As I recall Nico lost 1.5s on that one stop alone  ... but he didn't overshoot the mark like Hamilton did in Austria .    The team will do better with both, hopefully.

We can only hope. You were really spot on BTW. Those two DNF's are really distorting what should be a really close championship. With those two DNF's I am putting everything under a microscope and assuming the worst in things. There is likely a legitimate explanation for everything that has happened.

If Lewis felt like he was getting jobbed in any way he would let us know. IE Spa 2012.   

#78 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:18

We can only hope. You were really spot on BTW. Those two DNF's are really distorting what should be a really close championship. With those two DNF's I am putting everything under a microscope and assuming the worst in things. There is likely a legitimate explanation for everything that has happened.

If Lewis felt like he was getting jobbed in any way he would let us know. IE Spa 2012.   

I like your post minus the bolded part.  But hey ... that's ok .   I don't think that Lewis has been mistreated by a team his entire time in f1 ... let down perhaps , but it's happened

to many a driver .   

#79 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:26

I like your post minus the bolded part.  But hey ... that's ok .   I don't think that Lewis has been mistreated by a team his entire time in f1 ... let down perhaps , but it's happened

to many a driver .   

Not saying that he was necessarily* jobbed at Spa, but Lewis will let you know if he ain't happy with you. 

Advertisement

#80 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:48

Edited my old post on the Lewis vs Nico Part IV thread

Based on raw speed (which is not synonymous with finishing result) in each race, I would rate them like this: 

Australia: Unknown

- My intuition says that they would have been very evenly matched.

Malaysia: Hamilton by a large margin

- They were 1-2 on after the first corner, and Lewis finished 17 seconds ahead. Inexcusable.

Bahrain: Rosberg by a few tenths

- Lewis won this race on racecraft.

China: Hamilton by a few tenths

- Nico's bad grid position and start, telemetry problems, and traffic amplified the difference.

Spain: Too close to call

- I really don't know, although I'm inclined to give Rosberg a slight edge.

Monaco: Again too close to call

- I'm not convinced Nico was quicker. They were nip and tuck in the race.

Canada: Hamilton by a few tenths

- They were equally fast on options. Lewis was a few tenths/lap faster on primes.

Austria: Too close to call

- While Lewis' start was spectacular, when things settled in the final stint, there was nothing to seperate the two in speed.

Edited by Kingshark, 28 June 2014 - 03:06.

#81 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,581 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:53

I believe that was different.

Schumacher completed his penalty on the final lap because it wouldn't cost him as much as a normal penalty would

There is no rule which states that you can't enter the pitlane on the final lap if you are not due a penalty.

You are correct sir. :up:  The restriction was only introduced for penalty to be served, not otherwise. Though as pointed out by TomNokoe, the 60kmph limit will bother(and i don't mean bother) all help do anything worth any consequence...

That word that i highlighted i think is the key... i feel that he gets spooked relatively easy. For example, the incident you brought up is a good one. The team told him pro's and con's, and he made a decision together with his engineer. Sure it didn't work out, but with the slightest provocation from twitterati, he lost the plot. He was wrong then, and was wrong again to let emotions get the better of him at Monaco this year. In either incidents, let us just say, that he didn't exactly come out of them smelling like roses.

edit: Another incident is from 2012 Canadian GP, when he wondered if he was on the right strategy, tyre wise, as both Ferrari and RBR didn't seem to want to stop. Hamilton won that race... i think he really needs to balance it all in his head, before he leads himself down a certain path.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 28 June 2014 - 02:56.

#82 FYPIRELI13630

FYPIRELI13630

• 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:19

Put an ante on Rosberg winning 2014 WDC @ 1.73 with RMB105. (just 12 euros or so)

Hope I will lose it.   

#83 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:42

i didn't had a vision per say ... but it'd be funny if lewis loses to Rosberg and this plays in the background ... sung by nico with an air guitar

The highway's screamin', callin' out your name

Cause every road that you travel on

There's a price to pay

A thousands eyes are starin'

But the blind still lead the blind

''Where will you turn if it all goes wrong and you're on the run

Jerusalem?''

Oh hello!! fellow black sabbath fan?  :wave:  :kiss:

Don't panic - both have used the same amounts and no-one has more spares except in ES units where a few have only used 2 so far.
(both used their 3rd ICE, TC, MGU-K, MGU-H, ES and CE in Austria)

Usage before Austria: http://184.106.145.7...ocument - 3.pdf
New units put in for Austria: http://184.106.145.7...ocument - 8.pdf

Thanks for that info, was a bit worried Lewis might be at a disadvantage. 

Edited by micktosin, 28 June 2014 - 04:43.

#84 Nutmeg

Nutmeg

• 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:46

Haven't seen Maverick posts here in a while, he used to bring some inside info from time to time.

#85 P123

P123

• 8,354 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:29

As far as strategy goes - It's a fact that only Hamilton has been given a pit stop out of sequence with 
reference to Mercedes pit policy ...

Agreed... apart from the above snippet. It's not a policy set in stone. They aren't going to hang one driver out to dry in order to stick to it (as happened on occasion last season). Rosberg was pitted before Hamilton in Malaysia (to help him fend of Vettel) and in China (because his tyres were done and he was fighting others after a bad start). So it's not something that hasn't happened before for the benefit of the other side of the garage too.

#86 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,631 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:46

I said no such thing on the pit lane stunt :lol:

Germany 2011 - Vettel and Massa both pitted at the start of their last laps. This may have been because the finishing line was before their pit boxes, though. I have no other references.

#87 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,916 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:57

:up: At least you know yourself!

#88 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:15

Bloody shite 

Even Kingshark's vision was better than this

#89 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:16

Agreed... apart from the above snippet. It's not a policy set in stone. They aren't going to hang one driver out to dry in order to stick to it (as happened on occasion last season). Rosberg was pitted before Hamilton in Malaysia (to help him fend of Vettel) and in China (because his tyres were done and he was fighting others after a bad start). So it's not something that hasn't happened before for the benefit of the other side of the garage too.

:up:    True , I forgot that one .   There is absolutely no reason that the team should not advance a driver if he is behind

a rival driver ,  but that is not what I was implying.   But the policy is certainly in stone when the two are running 1-2.   

**sidenote **   Does anyone remember in 2009 when Button jumped Rubens for a win because of pit stops ????   Just imagine the explosion 

it would create if that were to happen at Merc .

#90 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 749 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:08

Can you imagine if Nico beats Lewis at Silverstone - this could be the end for Lewis - 36 points lead possible or a 22 point lead - at his home race, it is MASSIVE next weekend in so many ways

#91 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:20

Can you imagine if Nico beats Lewis at Silverstone - this could be the end for Lewis - 36 points lead possible or a 22 point lead - at his home race, it is MASSIVE next weekend in so many ways

It would be a massive psychological blow losing his home race. On the flip side, if he manages to crush Rosberg with a 20s + win it could massively damage Rosberg psysologicaly so it can work both ways

#92 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 450 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:28

Nico was mega around Silverstone in 2010 but not so much in the last 3 years.

Fast flowing circuits are not his strength, I think Lewis has a good chance.

#93 Riverside

Riverside

• 635 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:28

It would be a massive psychological blow losing his home race. On the flip side, if he manages to crush Rosberg with a 20s + win it could massively damage Rosberg psysologicaly so it can work both ways

I don't think either have any effect to be honest.   Momentum can change at the blink of an eye.  Either of them is perfectly capable of turning the tide .... Meanwhile 1 DNF for Rosberg 

everything changes.

#94 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:32

Nico was mega around Silverstone in 2010 but not so much in the last 3 years.

Fast flowing circuits are not his strength, I think Lewis has a good chance.

Tbh the way I see it is that the Merc was a decent car in the first half of 2010 with Nico picking up podiums including Silverstone. The 2011 and 2012 cars were known as being tyre shredders and on a circuit like this which requires high energy demands it was always going to be tough and in 2013, well simply both Lewis and Seb were faster than him on the day

#95 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:33

I don't think any one race is especially significant at the moment. There are so many races to go, and DNFs are always possible for either car.

#96 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,631 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:41

Every weekend is a 14 point swing!

Lewis has the most to lose mentally. This theme of "cracking" that has emerged since Austria is strange. His first real mistake and boom, crack! Can anybody remember if there were such silly psychoanalysis from the expertise of the paddock after mistakes in Australia, China, possibly Spain and Monaco from Nico?

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 June 2014 - 14:44.

#97 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:46

Lewis has the most to lose mentally. This theme of "cracking" that has emerged since Austria is strange. His first real mistake and boom, crack! Can anybody remember if there were such silly psychoanalysis from the expertise of the paddock after mistakes in Australia, China, possibly Spain and Monaco from Nico?

Canada qualifying he bottled as well, made a few mistakes running wide.

To answer your question, myself and others were critical of Nico making mistakes in the clutch earlier in the year. It works both ways

#98 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,631 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:55

Canada qualifying he bottled as well, made a few mistakes running wide.

To answer your question, myself and others were critical of Nico making mistakes in the clutch earlier in the year. It works both ways

He underperformed but Nico was still quite strong in Canada quali.

Austria he straight up

We can say what we like! :) I mean general paddock consensus, team figures defending him etc.

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 June 2014 - 14:56.

#99 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:59

Well just like NR was supposed to be a beaten man after Spain now LH has cracked after Austria ..... we all like to over react ... it is part of the human condition.

Lets wait and see what GB brings.... all I know is that there is never a dull weekend when you are an LH supporter.

Advertisement

#100 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 845 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 15:49

My nerves would rather have a dull weekend with Hamilton-domination.

Instead we're still 10 races away from another nail-biting championship-final in Abu Dhabi, that is of course if he is still going to be in the battle for the WDC.

Ugh. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoldenColt, 28 June 2014 - 16:58.