Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo 2014 part II

• Please log in to reply
2519 replies to this topic

#2501 skc

skc

• 967 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:18

I disagree

One silly move, where you dont accept you did anything wrong and fans turn against you.

Many drivers have made silly mistakes, come out and said...MY BAD and its over before the next weekend

I get the impression Dan is the kind of driver who would own up BEFORE any outcry. 

Time may prove me a monkey but I just cant see Dan not fessing up

You know what, I have a dark, deep fear that this is bound to happen at some stage because Dan is in the hunt, meaning he runs the risk more than anyone. Should he ever be in a situation where he gets tangled with especially Lewis, taking him out...I have no idea how the fans or Dan will react for that matter.

Advertisement

#2502 stillwater

stillwater

• 14 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:40

You know what, I have a dark, deep fear that this is bound to happen at some stage because Dan is in the hunt, meaning he runs the risk more than anyone. Should he ever be in a situation where he gets tangled with especially Lewis, taking him out...I have no idea how the fans or Dan will react for that matter.

Odds on you are correct.

However... Dan is not Webber :)

If it was Webber we were talking about you could guarantee he would have an incident with Lewis at some point.

P.S. there is a vast gulf between owning up to something for PR reasons

and owning up to something because you think it was your fault

People in the first category dont EVER think they have done something wrong.

The words are just to keep the plebs happy,

just like Dexter, they can pretend to give a damn, but really dont.

#2503 OilFour

OilFour

• 112 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

I find it quite disconcerting that so many people are revelling in Vettel's current woes. Reminds me of when Schumacher struggled in 2010 and everyone was like "yeah...I told you so.....it was always the car...we knew it.....!!!"

He is still a world champion times FOUR. You can't put that down to a fluke.

He'll be back and stronger. You don't write off champions.

Except, 

Vettel isn't back from a 3 year sabbatical at the age of 41,

Vettel's ars is kicked by a teams 'rookie', Schumacher was the one entering a fairly new area.

I don't think you can compare Schumacher and Vettel.

Although, i seriously doubt Vettel still had 4 WDC's when he had DR in the second seat.

#2504 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:52

Except, 

Vettel isn't back from a 3 year sabbatical at the age of 41,

Bottomline is he's been outstanding for ages and the first struggle has raised all sorts of stupid reactions trying to diminish all he has done before.

Of course the situation is not the same, but both raised outrageous reactions from those who were waiting for the first slip.

#2505 skc

skc

• 967 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:55

Bottomline is he's been outstanding for ages and the first struggle has raised all sorts of stupid reactions trying to diminish all he has done before.

Of course the situation is not the same, but both raised outrageous reactions from those who were waiting for the first slip.

Stop making sense. This is F1. You're never supposed to have a bad season.

#2506 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:23

I want to clarify I'm perfectly OK with criticism. His 2014 season has been dreadful, and I'm the first to say Ric is smashing him.

What I can't stand is revisionism. And everytime a driver struggles, some try to rejudge all he's done. And that's pathetic.

#2507 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,418 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:51

I want to clarify I'm perfectly OK with criticism. His 2014 season has been dreadful, and I'm the first to say Ric is smashing him.

What I can't stand is revisionism. And everytime a driver struggles, some try to rejudge all he's done. And that's pathetic.

:clap:

#2508 apoka

apoka

• 3,503 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:52

From what I have seen Ricciardo is very controlled, very happy with what he has achieved and anything else is really a bonus and not something he needs to force. I don't think he'll do very risky moves (unless it really comes down to the last race).

#2509 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,708 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:05

Any predictions for Daniel's pay rise next year ?

At least equal with Vettel surely. He must be the hottest choice on the market for when he is off contract (2016? 17?)

#2510 skc

skc

• 967 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:26

You seem to be pretty sure that Daniel will continue to perform at this same level.

#2511 Lights

Lights

• 9,325 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:22

Sure... but as always, there is some truth to it. The scenario is that for 5 years - which is an extremely long time in F1 - Vettel was paired with the same teammate. In these years many raised the question of how he would fare against some established top drivers, but in fact it took a relatively unknown quantity in the form of Ricciardo to beat him this year. Even if Ricciardo turns out to be a real superstar and even if the current car suits Vettel's style less than any car he's driven so far: it'll still reflect on the image people have of him. And that's because we as fans don't know everything. We don't know exactly how impressive his years were with Webber as a teammate, because it's just one yardstick. But we do know that so far - granted it ain't much yet - he's struggling heavily against Ricciardo and we also see that Vettel is making many errors that he didn't use to make when he had a much larger comfort zone in both car performance and teammate quality. We learn more about a driver and so we rejudge. I'm not sure why this hits you so hard. You must realize that this scenario isn't that common in F1 as usually teammates are swapped more often and car performances vary more from year to year as well. Vettel just got the lucky combo.

#2512 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 221 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:25

You seem to be pretty sure that Daniel will continue to perform at this same level.

I fail to see anything to suggest he won't.

Perhaps you can elaborate on why you feel this way ?

#2513 skc

skc

• 967 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:42

I dont feel any way. I cant predict the future. So my answer is "I don't know"

You on the other hand know for sure that he will have the same success next season. Which is amazing to me frankly.

What I DO think is that he is a special talent and I'd put money on him eventually winning at least one WDC if the cards fall for him.

#2514 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:11

@lights, Seb was stunning from his first full season all the way to 2014. These doubters you mention were just people with the head stuck in the sand. Anyone that still doubted Seb was amazing after a handful of very strong seasons in consecutive years (it's not that much about WDCs) will NEVER give him credit.

You say we don't know how impressive these years were. Well, I guess you watched the races, that's as informed as you'll ve about his driving back then. One thing I can tell you for sure is that you won't learn anything about his driving back then watching how he drives now or in 2017. That is absurd.

#2515 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:18

If we couldnt predict Vettel's form from 2013 to 2014.....just how on earth are we supposed to predict Ricciardo's from from 2014 to 2015?

Is it a given that he will continue to beat Vettel? Does he have the strength of character a championship battle like SV showed from 2009-2013?

#2516 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,775 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:29

Tell me how you know that he would beat Ricciardo in years gone by? What data are you drawing on?

It seems difficult to me to say vettel is necessarily driving any worse. Had he gotten beaten by Webber you could say that, but this could just be the norm between these two drivers

Edited by Thomas99, Yesterday, 23:33.

#2517 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 221 posts

Posted Today, 02:17

I dont feel any way. I cant predict the future. So my answer is "I don't know"

You on the other hand know for sure that he will have the same success next season. Which is amazing to me frankly.

What I DO think is that he is a special talent and I'd put money on him eventually winning at least one WDC if the cards fall for him.

I don't know for sure, and never claimed too.

I'm looking at next season as a continuation of this one though as far as the formula itself goes.
There will be very little, if any regulation changes that would hinder Daniel.
Even if the only reason he's doing well, is down to the car just suiting him perfectly, I fail to see why next year's would be any different.

#2518 tghik

tghik

• 366 posts

Posted Today, 03:49

@lights, Seb was stunning from his first full season all the way to 2014. These doubters you mention were just people with the head stuck in the sand. Anyone that still doubted Seb was amazing after a handful of very strong seasons in consecutive years (it's not that much about WDCs) will NEVER give him credit.

Let's turn over the coin, if Dan beats Seb next season, will you admit Dan is a better driver, or as you put it yourself you will NEVER give credit to the aussie ?

Is it a given that he will continue to beat Vettel? Does he have the strength of character a championship battle like SV showed from 2009-2013?

It is easy to have character when you have margin in equipment. Why Seb is not showing the character now ?

Edited by tghik, Today, 05:19.

#2519 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,775 posts

Posted Today, 04:19

If we couldnt predict Vettel's form from 2013 to 2014.....just how on earth are we supposed to predict Ricciardo's from from 2014 to 2015?

On the flip side, does Vettel have the character to do what Ricciardo is doing without a dominant car?

We all have access to the same data. Being the fact these guys have raced together for 2/3rd of a season. Rather then trying to draw needless parallels to seasons of past which will never be answered its best to just look at what we say today. Because for some reason people always seem to start with the assumption vettel would win in those seasons gone by.  I just don't get why they would assume that based on what we've seen this year.

Edited by Thomas99, Today, 04:23.

Advertisement

#2520 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,934 posts

Posted Today, 05:32

He's been so convincing, i find it hard to imagine he wont consolidate this over the rest of his career.