Photo
- - - - -

Do you miss the KERS button?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you miss the KERS button? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you miss the KERS button? (Driver use of extra electrical energy at will)

1. Yes (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. No (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:27

As far as I know the electrical energy that the ERS provides is not managed by the driver but by the engineers (who set up the power unit).

Alonso made this remark on the Thursday press conference in Austria.

http://www.formula1....14/6/15962.html

Q: Fernando, any thoughts what you’d like to see
FA: Well, probably, as we’ve all said , the cost is the biggest thing here. All the ideas you have are closely related to the cost as well. So that’s not an easy thing. In my opinion the KERS should come back to our cars. We have now the electric helping us on the straight but we cannot decide, or we don’t have the extra boost we had last year to help with overtaking because you can use it in different places compared to other cars. Now we all use more or less the same energy in the same places, so that’s impossible to overtake. 

We used to see how the electric energy was applied. Now, we know this cars are hybrid but we can't see it. And, besides, the driver factor, it's intelligence in the use of where and when to use that extra energy, is gone. Another big mistake in this years regulations, imo. What do you think? 

Edit. Poll added.

Edited by 4MEN, 29 June 2014 - 00:54.

Advertisement

#2 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:37

Yeah if we are gonna have all these gimmicks at least let it be used at the drivers discretion as much as possible. I'll never forget Lewis unique use of kers to overtake Vettel out of turn 4 (5?)for the win in China 2011. Now those types of out of the box moves won't happen if everything is premapped.

#3 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:38

Yes. I'm probably a minority, but I always thought they could've exploited KERS much further, akin to DRS. I'd rather an F1 world where the attacker has a higher capacity of his battery to discharge as opposed to the guy in front. We wouldn't see ridiculous over speeds, just better slipstreams.

#4 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:42

As far as I know the electrical energy that the ERS provides is not managed by the driver but by the engineers (who set up the power unit).

Alonso made this remark on the Thursday press conference in Austria.

http://www.formula1....14/6/15962.html

Q: Fernando, any thoughts what you’d like to see
FA: Well, probably, as we’ve all said , the cost is the biggest thing here. All the ideas you have are closely related to the cost as well. So that’s not an easy thing. In my opinion the KERS should come back to our cars. We have now the electric helping us on the straight but we cannot decide, or we don’t have the extra boost we had last year to help with overtaking because you can use it in different places compared to other cars. Now we all use more or less the same energy in the same places, so that’s impossible to overtake. 

We used to see how the electric energy was applied. Now, we know this cars are hybrid but we can't see it. And, besides, the driver factor, it's intelligence in the use of where and when to use that extra energy, is gone. Another big mistake in this years regulations, imo. What do you think? 

It's a bit of a puzzle to me. AFAIK the drivers have an 'overtake' button, so why doesn't that give them maximum ERS energy?

Perhaps the problem is that they now have the electrical boost for more of the lap, so we no longer have the contrast between the driver who is saving his KERS (or has already used it) and the driver who presses the KERS button.

Certainly this year I am disappointed with the amount of overtaking which is happening, Apart from one or two tracks like Bahrain and Canada, it seems more follow-my-leader this year. I'm not sure if it's due to the KERS to ERS change, or whether the wider front wing was actually more effective in allowing close following and overtaking than we thought.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:48

Not at all. I personally think this is how energy recovery should of been implemented originally. I was never that impressed with a unit tacked on to the V8s that only provided a boost for a number of seconds. Having a proper hybrid engine is much more sensible. 

#6 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:55

No, I don't miss it. In fact, they can take all their push-to-pass overtaking and shove it u

#7 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 00:06

Yes. I'm probably a minority, but I always thought they could've exploited KERS much further, akin to DRS. I'd rather an F1 world where the attacker has a higher capacity of his battery to discharge as opposed to the guy in front. We wouldn't see ridiculous over speeds, just better slipstreams.

And I'd rather have an IndyCar style push-to-pass where you can use the button for a certain number of times, either to attack or defend.

#8 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 00:25

YES!! At least on the racing sense. Viewers could anticipate and understand where all the extra straight line speed came from at one point. Now we´re blind,

It´s extremelly weird seeing a car (a Ferrari :p ) getting eaten alive in a straight ending lap 1 for no apparent reason. Before you could see he had used the electric power and the other didn´t so you saw it all shape up. Now it just happens unexpectedly and the pass looks cheap as hell.

In the technical sense, no. KERS should have had unlimited storage ability and unlimited delivery ability. This ERS are closer to that, so in the technical sense, you at least get competition in that area and get to see who did things better.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 29 June 2014 - 00:27.

#9 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 00:52

I can see why a driver would get frustrated if the harvesting and deployment cycle on the car is such that he's getting the boost in a place where he doesn't need it, and not getting it in a place where it might have got him past the car in front. Maybe it's something to look at for next year. Not that I think we ncessarily need push-to-pass in F1, but if you've got stored energy available, but you've also got capacity to store more, it is a strateigic decision, in principle, whether you use it as soon as you've got it, or keep some back for a few corners before you use it. As usual, I suspect the manufacturers have done this on purpose, because you don't get to control deployment of electrical energy in your hybrid roadcar.